• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jijidasu

200px-Bee.jpg

I agree.

Oh yes. Bees!

Jijidasu

Looks like the JP side are as unhappy with the spam fest WS's as the English side.

I went through the feedback and impressions thread on the JP side and I did notice some of these comments. But generally, even with a more involved system a la 1.0 original or the attack to build TP method even, you're going to get bored at some stage. That, or you're going to get sore fingers.

Lucis

I went through the feedback and impressions thread on the JP side and I did notice some of these comments. But generally, even with a more involved system a la 1.0 original or the attack to build TP method even, you're going to get bored at some stage. That, or you're going to get sore fingers.

Most of those concerns aren't concerns. The current stage of beta isn't good gauge to what real game play is anyways. I really hope square doesn't cave into making combat more 1.0 lol

ebil

I've also read a few JP comments saying that the new system was bad because they were unable to chat while fighting anymore. While I perfectly understand this concern (this is going to create a rift in my own LS in the long run as some of them, including our leader, are vocal Voice Chat haters), this say a lot about what they really want.

As Yoshida mentioned several times already, a lot of JP players only ever played FF11 and FF14, so they tend to have a very limited scope of experience in MMOs. These complaints on the English (and French, for that matter) side of the forums typically tend to come from former FF11 players as well.

I still see many of these posts starting with "in FF11...".
I've also read a few JP comments saying that the new system was bad because they were unable to chat while fighting anymore. While I perfectly understand this concern (this is going to create a rift in my own LS in the long run as some of them, including our leader, are vocal Voice Chat haters).

As Yoshida mentioned several times already, a lot of JP players only ever played FF11 and FF14, so they tend to have a very limited scope of experience in MMOs. These complaints on the English (and French, for that matter) side of the forums typically tend to come from former FF11 players as well.

One of my TERA guild mates who got into the beta for ARR says he would much rather be able to spam skills than have to wait for TP to build from auto-attack. We had him playing FF 11 for a bit and it was far too slow for someone who is used to a faster battle system.

Going with a system that would make the FF 11/FF 14 complainers happy would hurt their chances with other players who would come from games that have faster systems, imo.. so I hope they don't take these complaints too seriously.

Lucis

I still see many of these posts starting with "in FF11...".
I've also read a few JP comments saying that the new system was bad because they were unable to chat while fighting anymore. While I perfectly understand this concern (this is going to create a rift in my own LS in the long run as some of them, including our leader, are vocal Voice Chat haters), this say a lot about what they really want.

Some of the nostalgia ff11 stuff is getting to my nerve.

Don't get me wrong. I used to love ff11, I learned to speak/read fluent Japanese simply by playing that game starting from the very beginning of it's Japanese release. However time is changing, things are improving. LOL @ the can't chat while play comment though.

I do have my reserve with the battle system, but until we don't get the full scope of it (party based content, most classes/jobs in the beta, higher level with more abilities) I'd rather wait.

Fighting solo at low level is usually quite boring in any MMO (GW2, FF XI, FF XIV, etc..) I think the only time was midly fun for me was playing Tera, but after all it has a lot of traits from action games.

Jinko

It's true there are a lot of ex FF11 players on the english side, there is such a divide between the two camps (FF11 vs Wow clone) though It's impossible for him to make both sides even remotely happy.

It's easy to chat whilst in a party though cause whilst you are chatting someone else is taking up the slack :p, probably not a good idea whilst fighting a boss though.

Jijidasu

Some Japanese players use voice chat. My LS is Japanese and we use mumble for events. I guess it's just about putting social anxiety beside you and enjoying yourself. But as it was previously mentioned many players have come from 11 and 14 being their only experiences in MMORPG's hence the comfort zone situation.

I do think the current system is reflective of what we'll see to an extent, more so we're looking the lower level range of combat. I imagine the higher you level the more skills you'll be juggling and timing and preservation will become another matter.

rbrogue

I remember playing DRK in FFXI and a 523 delay scythe taking over 8 1/2 seconds to swing. I'm sure some people still want that system but it would absolutely murder any chance FFXIV has.

Allard

Some Japanese players use voice chat. My LS is Japanese and we use mumble for events. I guess it's just about putting social anxiety beside you and enjoying yourself. But as it was previously mentioned many players have come from 11 and 14 being their only experiences in MMORPG's hence the comfort zone situation.

I do think the current system is reflective of what we'll see to an extent, more so we're looking the lower level range of combat. I imagine the higher you level the more skills you'll be juggling and timing and preservation will become another matter.

We also haven't seen gear/buffs yet that mixes with the new stats they added. In general picking apart the combat system by level 10 is not a good idea, hell FFXIV 1.0 had classes that didn't have a single combo till lvl 18 (I'm looking at you THM...), we are also missing half the classes that are going to be in at launch which give special abilities that can be used on other classes. Yoshida has stated several times in interviews he wants the early level experience to warm people slowly into the game so there wouldn't be a harsh leveling curve, like lvl 1-15 is a mostly solo affair and then lvl 18+ have light/casual party content with guildhest (formly behest), small introductory dungeons and the like and then slowly add in more nuances into the combat so that people can learn things properly as they go along. Proper hate management/crowd control for instance he alluded in a past interview he wanted to be a focus around lvl 25-30, the point of time we also just so happened to start getting access to the job system as well. Because we have a small ability selection and mobs die fast, it seems really spammy by contrast (tp and mp recovers very quickly when out of combat), get into longer battles designed around group efforts and I think its going to turn out different when you can't recover mp very fast, tp recovers slower, and hp regenerates at an extremely slow pace as to be non-existent.

Jijidasu

We also haven't seen gear/buffs yet that mixes with the new stats they added. In general picking apart the combat system by level 10 is not a good idea, hell FFXIV 1.0 had classes that didn't have a single combo till lvl 18 (I'm looking at you THM...), we are also missing half the classes that are going to be in at launch which give special abilities that can be used on other classes. Yoshida has stated several times in interviews he wants the early level experience to warm people slowly into the game so there wouldn't be a harsh leveling curve, like lvl 1-15 is a mostly solo affair and then lvl 18+ have light/casual party content with guildhest (formly behest), small introductory dungeons and the like and then slowly add in more nuances into the combat so that people can learn things properly as they go along. Proper hate management/crowd control for instance he alluded in a past interview he wanted to be a focus around lvl 25-30, the point of time we also just so happened to start getting access to the job system as well. Because we have a small ability selection and mobs die fast, it seems really spammy by contrast (tp and mp recovers very quickly when out of combat), get into longer battles designed around group efforts and I think its going to turn out different when you can't recover mp very fast, tp recovers slower, and hp regenerates at an extremely slow pace as to be non-existent.

That's pretty much it, yeah. Sadly those pillocks on the forums are so dense they'd never be able to process any of it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I prefer a much faster combat system, once more of the skills are unlocked things will be quite different. I mean sure it's a shame you can't enjoy a sandwhich while you wait for your tp to go up anymore but people will live :p

Judging combat while not even having half of your skills or doing the longer fights is for lack of a better way to describe it, fucking stupid.

Faster combat systems separate good and bad players more as well. This can be a bad thing for some I guess.

@Teknoman @Omlet - thanks guys!

I know, right. People seem to come and go into MMORPGs with so many preconceptions based on their end-game experience from another MMORPG. These types of games are extremely organic and the progression curves are vast and varied.

That's pretty much it, yeah. Sadly those pillocks on the forums are so dense they'd never be able to process any of it.

People trying to convince me on the forums that XIV 1.0 had way more strategy involving at lvl 15 (soloing) that ARR was the moment I'd said to myself that I should just ignore it and contain myself.

Riposte

Do they say "hai" a lot?

ebil

People trying to convince me on the forums that XIV 1.0 had way more strategy involving at lvl 15 (soloing) that ARR was the moment I'd said to myself that I should just ignore it and contain myself.
I know, my LS leader told me as well, even disingenuously stating that CNJ was so much better in 1.0 because you had combos by that level (while actually the first combo-able spell was Stonera... Which was a lv 22 spell).
So yeah, I just started ignoring her complaints altogether and told myself I'd enjoy the ride anyway. She'll either come to terms with the changes or she won't.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Cast buffs from other jobs on you, auto attack, wait for tp, heal if needed, YOU HAVE TP DO A COMBO COOL 2 MOVES YOU ARE USING STRATEGY NOW SOLDIER. Repeat from auto attack step. Take bites of sandwhich, watch a movie, or read something while waiting for tp to rise.

They pretty much removed the wait for tp part, and once people start fighting longer fights it's going to be about managing your tp and spending it properly. If you played a rogue in wow the idea is similar.

Riposte

I recall having some fun going into leves way above my level as a LNC and having to make good use of positioning or I'll die within dozen seconds. That was back when 1.0 was heavily AoE focused. Small things like that would be interesting to me if brought back.

Being the bread and butter of the language, we do, yes :)

Either that or isolated grunts.

I thought it was just a TV host thing.

EDIT: I think I want to sneak into the some Japanese vents for some background noise.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I recall having some fun going into leves way above my level as a LNC and having to make good use of positioning or I'll die within dozen seconds. That was back when 1.0 was heavily AoE focused. Small things like that would be interesting to me if brought back.

Lancers still have positional based skills :p

Hopefully they don't buckle and change the speed. I've not played with it yet (since I didn't get in) but I much prefer faster paced combat.

I don't think they actually will.. because Yoshi-P is balancing this battle system for PVP play as well. I think PVP would be pretty boring if you had to sit around and auto-attack another player before either of you could use a weapon skill.

Hopefully they don't buckle and change the speed. I've not played with it yet (since I didn't get in) but I much prefer faster paced combat.

The fact they made GCD even shorter (by 0.5 sec) since the alpha, probably put on perspective their intentions. Since they built the whole combat system around being faster I don't think they'll back out easily.

And Yoshi P seems quite confident of it and keeps saying to wait until they'll open up most of the game combat options and higher level.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
First time playing this beta and the first thought in my head was that I need to remap the controls to be like FF11 lol.

Seems decent, hopefully I can put some more time into it soon enough.

Lucis

Is there LS yet? Does the GAF group have a channel or whatever to gather together?

I was able to make a character on Tonberry after the character wipe. I got it to level 9 I think (Archer). would like to get to 15 + for dungeon during the weekend with gaffers.

Is there LS yet? Does the GAF group have a channel or whatever to gather together?

I was able to make a character on Tonberry after the character wipe. I got it to level 9 I think (Archer). would like to get to 15 + for dungeon during the weekend with gaffers.

I honestly don't know how practical it will be until they let us on for more than 24 hours at a time, but this is what I was using. If you want me to add your name too, I will.

Teknoman

These are the bees that need to be roaming Eorzea:

2-hornet-a.jpg

They already went Amano inspired with the gnats (Beelzebub from FF1), toads, and the raptors, why not keep going?

While i'm at it, lets throw one of these in for good measure:

2-killer_mantis-a.jpg

2-basilisk-a.jpg

Also i'll try to get on mumble with you guys next time.

I honestly don't know how practical it will be until they let us on for more than 24 hours at a time, but this is what I was using. If you want me to add your name too, I will.

Can we put this in the OP or something?

These are the bees that need to be roaming Eorzea:

2-hornet-a.jpg

They already went Amano inspired with the gnats (Beelzebub from FF1), toads, and the raptors, why not keep going?

While i'm at it, lets throw one of these in for good measure:

2-killer_mantis-a.jpg

2-basilisk-a.jpg

Also i'll try to get on mumble with you guys next time.

Man, one of these things running at me under the Black Shroud in the middle of the night would turn Eorzea into Silent Hill.

Did 1.0 have any enemies that were mildly or even severely terrifying for people? I can't think of any. Though admittedly I was kind of thrown off a bit when I saw Atomos for the first time and had not read the news, so in turn having no context when he started crapping out Deepvoids.

Velocity

Zorak? Yeah, Zorak.

I ended up playing on Adamantoise for the last 4 hours of the beta on Monday night, but because I was pretty much blowing through the content I couldn't really figure out what was new since alpha. I noticed a few new quests here and there, and of course the addition of big breaststs. Glad we'll have more time on the weekend to play, and hopefully it won't be quite as lag filled of an experience.

On another note, I'm blown away by the rampant posting on the beta forums about nonsensical, pointless shit. I just don't understand people, I suppose.

Teknoman

Man, one of these things running at me under the Black Shroud in the middle of the night would turn Eorzea into Silent Hill.

Did 1.0 have any enemies that were mildly or even severely terrifying for people? I can't think of any. Though admittedly I was kind of thrown off a bit when I saw Atomos for the first time and had not read the news, so in turn having no context when he started crapping out Deepvoids.

Short answer? Yes /excuse to post more pre-calamity pictures:

Well not really terrifying, but mildly creepy because of their animations and facial features/ the way they stared at you.

Gnats remind me of that "good...good" bug from Family Guy.

Hey, they also have FFIV's Yellow Dragon with the pink and blue highlights on it. Can't wait to slay that beast :)

The Behemoth looks like the FFXI, no wings I think. Chimera is in, but I've only seen in that bullshot. Chupon is in, or whatever creature that is.

It's nice to see Amano inspiration here. I hope that the sand worm is in because Amano's design on that thing is iconic.

Teknoman

Hey, they also have FFIV's Yellow Dragon with the pink and blue highlights on it. Can't wait to slay that beast :)

The Behemoth looks like the FFXI, no wings I think. Chimera is in, but I've only seen in that bullshot. Chupon is in, or whatever creature that is.

It's nice to see Amano inspiration here. I hope that the sand worm is in because Amano's design on that thing is iconic.

I cant wait to see how Chupon animates, and yeah, nice catch on the dragon.

Chimera was in 1.0 as well:

There was another version of the monster as a dungeon boss, but I think I made it to the thing once. I know our LS must've killed it at least twice though.

I cant wait to see how Chupon animates, and yeah, nice catch on the dragon.

Chimera was in 1.0 as well:
There was another version of the monster as a dungeon boss, but I think I made it to the thing once. I know our LS must've killed it at least twice though.

Damn, those are menacing! Yeah, Chupon looked great in FFXIII-2 and had really neat eye, mouth, and arm animations. Hopefully FFXIV captures that whimsical movement :)

Munba

Damn, I'm off for three days and then the test starts the day I go back. :(

Anyone who played the Beta more than me and likes the exploring, was the gate south of Hawthorne Hut open? Were there NPCs in Fallgourd Float? What is the big building in Fallgourd Float?

Yes and yes for the first 2. The building is an inn with nice pictures on the walls. I totally love that place, especially during the night... It seems truly an old FF town in 3D.

Oh another nice touch, you can now sit on every chair in the pubs, buildings, etc.

They pretty much removed the wait for tp part, and once people start fighting longer fights it's going to be about managing your tp and spending it properly. If you played a rogue in wow the idea is similar.

Which is kinda a problem since every single class plays like a rogue from wow right now, what with the resource mechanic being the same throughout. Also it takes way too much to burn though TP, and it would really only happen in boss fights. The cost and feel of later skills may balance that out though, along with adding the necessary class uniqueness that the game currently lacks. Knowing that is why I can't hate on it after only 1 day and 15 levels of testing. I do like the GCD system, but it does need some work. Really don't want them changing it to some slower system, like building tp from the bottom every fight and long cooldowns on weapon skills.

That is something that I have seen being suggested a lot. Long (around 30 second) cooldowns on different weapon skills as a way to force people to use other their other skills, instead of keeping the GCD and giving real reasons to want to use the those other skills. The only big cooldown skills should be certain buffs that can be used strategically (think blood for blood or keen flurry), and class defining job skills, like a Dragoon's jumps. That is imo of course.

Oh another nice touch, you can now sit on every chair in the pubs, buildings, etc.

With the /sit emote? I mentioned that to someone else and they told me you could do that in 1.0. Was really cook when I found it, as I thought all the background stuff was going to just be non interactive.

Munba

With the /sit emote? I mentioned that to someone else and they told me you could do that in 1.0. Was really cook when I found it, as I thought all the background stuff was going to just be non interactive.

You could in 1.0 but not on the pub tables for example. Now you can. And i love this lol.

I'm I the only one who enjoys ARR battle more than I enjoyed 1.0 battle?

Of course not. Though to be fair, the people who are complaining and wanting the "old way" back are people that want 1.23 combat from what I could tell.

You could in 1.0 but not on the pub tables for example. Now you can. And i love this lol.

Ah I see. I like how I even found out about it. Spent like 2 minutes trying to click on what I thought was an npc to see what he had to say, not realizing it was a player because he was sitting on a chair. Thought I just kept clicking on the million other people running around the area.

I love that you can sit on things at the bars now. Some drinking emotes would go a long way for people that want to RP as well, I think.

Munba

I love that you can sit on things at the bars now. Some drinking emotes would go a long way for people that want to RP as well, I think.

Yeah, i'll post that suggestion on the beta forums feedback when they'll open them again, if it's not a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom