• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrDogg

So I ventured back to FFXI on a trial to see how the game had changed and I honestly can't see why people want the old schemes back. It took me nearly 3 minutes to kill a Lv.1 Mandragora outside Windurst as a Warrior. Why do people want this?

You can't judge any MMO based on the first few levels. It's kind of ridiculous you would even mention something like that. If you look at the grand scheme, you can go from level 1 to cap in a day on FFXI. You want that to be faster?

I'm a huge fan of the 75 cap version of FFXI (not how it is now), but even I couldn't stand the first 15-20 levels. I'd say the game doesn't really start to get fun (in terms of leveling and combat) until you hit 40 or so.

Looking forward to phase 2 of ARR so I can use a controller.

ebil

Not really sure, but it seems a lot worse this time then the last times with the same settings.
Resize your chat log, make it as small as possible. That should do the trick. Whatever bandaid method they used to "fix" the chat log issues ended up killing our framerates.

ebil

Hmm really ? not had an issue with it myself.
New chat command works as a temp fix too, but a lot of people are/were having this issue (myself included). Resizing my chat window permanently fixed it though (I instantly gained a good 20-30 FPS), so yeah, it's chat related.
It might depend on your CPU/GPU as well, I don't know.

LowParry

Did the chat fix thing and yeah, much much better. How strange. Well hopefully we'll see some good performance issue fixes with Phase 2.

wish they'd issue a quick patch for the chat lag issue. still having fun.

They have mentioned that the entire chat thing is getting redone for another phase. The command that fixes it now is just a temporary fix so people can continue testing the other stuff now.

Ala Alba

Sigh. Extreme lag and repeated random party-member disconnects prevented me from experiencing toto-rak tonight.

Maybe tomorrow I'll have better luck.

Lucis

Full CNJ set from Manor by greeding and I have not seen half of the GLD set drop lol.
Gonna take it easy for a bit. RNG is catching up with me even in beta

Ricker

Finally did Tam Deepcroft...I can see it being challenging enough with 4 level 15 players...my party consisted of 2 CNJ and a Archer at level 25 and me CNJ level 15 lol,so the Archer tanked :p....I didnt mind getting no exp though,just wanted to see it before the wipe...

Something seems up with damage. A CNJ will do more damage from range with spamming Stone 2 then anything a LNC can do from melee just about.

Aeana

Starting to get pretty excited for this. Sadly I didn't get into phase 1, but I guess I'll be in for sure by phase 3 since I had an account in 1.0.

Jinko

Something seems up with damage. A CNJ will do more damage from range with spamming Stone 2 then anything a LNC can do from melee just about.

Makes sense that magic would do more damage IMO, even in moogle on 1.0 a WHM would outdamage a DRG/BRD.

Would be interesting if they made CNJ a good DPS class, I doubt SE have the sense to balance it properly tho.

Jijidasu

Some people are speculating that Yoshida will be showing/announcing the start date for phase 3 at niconico's choukaigi event later in April. Doesn't seem unlikely given the time and phase 2 is only set for 1-3 weeks - minimal time for a phase nearly identical to first is best.

N.A

Banned
Finally got to level 30 and did Haukke Manor. Pretty fun dungeon. I love the design too, reminds me of Shinra Mansion from VII.

Hope the dungeons have full music come release though. Sucks that they use the battle theme, especially as the remix of the 1.0 dungeon music and the Haukke Manor 30 second intros sound awesome.

Munba

Did Toto-rak and it was fun.
Combat finally is beginning to take its true form after lv20, with interesting skill rotations depending on situation. It seems really well studied (from my point of view as GLA at least). Just like Yoshi hinted. :)

omlet

is there a general consensus yet on the beta?

Consensus?

The consensus is that it's a closed beta with limited content. What kind of consensus are you looking for?

People expecting a free demo of the game are bitching constantly about bugs and limited content.

People wanting the game to be FFXI-2 are bitching constantly about the game not being like XI.

Everyone else seems pretty OK with things and is either providing vocal (via forums) or silent (via just being on and providing stress/server/etc. warm body) feedback.

Business as usual for a closed beta these days.

omlet

There is also a pretty steep NDA that could ban you from ever playing the game but like a few said,even Omlet in is slightly usual rudeness,it's pretty good.

I'm not being rude, I'm giving a generic sum-up answer about impressions posted in this thread so far and things you don't even need to be a beta tester to know about (for example, beta roadmap that was published makes the phases and their limited content public knowledge, and the fact that ARR is not the second coming of FFXI is not a spoiler any more than me saying that ARR is not an FPS).

The reason you (Mileena) are not hearing more specific and detailed consensus yet, if there even is a consensus, is because of the NDA which is largely in place specifically to keep people from presenting the beta as a finished product and misrepresenting what the game will be to the public.

Lucis

Beta forum is so bad arg
I raise real issue, everyone ignores it.

And every thread gets conversation is about stuff there are 10 other threads already.

Beta forum is so bad arg
I raise real issue, everyone ignores it.

And every thread gets conversation is about stuff there are 10 other threads already.

If you did raise a real issue, please tell me you put it in the appropriate feedback thread where it will get seen.

omlet

Good to know. I've been trying to play this for years so I just wanted to make sure its not completely terrible.

Guess it depends on what you want from an MMO.

Everything SE has been showing off indicates that they have a defined vision for this game and the mind and means to polish it for release. Just going to be a matter of does their vision for the game match what you're looking for close enough to hold your interest. Have you been following the lodestone devtrackers, devblogs, liveletters, and so on? There are plenty of NDA-free indications that ARR is at least going to be a much better designed piece of software than the original version was.

Lucis

If you did raise a real issue, please tell me you put it in the appropriate feedback thread where it will get seen.

I was trying to confirm if it's a real issue before posting in the feed back.

I found it the last min last night and i am not 100% sure if it's a real issue or not...

http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/21102-Is-this-intended-Leve-quest-related

i don't think anyone can give me a definitive answer if the EXP will be nerfed in this case or not. if not, it' too op.

I found it the last min last night and i am not 100% sure if it's a real issue or not...

http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/21102-Is-this-intended-Leve-quest-related

i don't think anyone can give me a definitive answer if the EXP will be nerfed in this case or not. if not, it' too op.

Ahh that thread.. I admit I skipped it too.. that is a good question..

edit -

Question for 1.0 players.. was it possible to use a higher level ability from another class on a lower level class?

omlet

Question for 1.0 players.. was it possible to use a higher level ability from another class on a lower level class?

Yep. If you had CNJ leveled to learn raise, you could set it at level 1 on another class. Some abilities could not be set, though... for example Firaga from THM was the higher level THM fire spell but it was THM-only. Same with CNJ's Curaga, only could be used as CNJ (or WHM), but you could set Cure on another class. Or PGL's Second Wind TP-consuming self-heal, for example--lots of people leveled PGL first up to get that skill before soloing further because it was so helpful for melee classes.

Yep. If you had CNJ leveled to learn raise, you could set it at level 1 on another class. Some abilities could not be set, though... for example Firaga from THM was the higher level THM fire spell but it was THM-only. Same with CNJ's Curaga, only could be used as CNJ (or WHM), but you could set Cure on another class. Or PGL's Second Wind TP-consuming self-heal, for example--lots of people leveled PGL first up to get that skill before soloing further because it was so helpful for melee classes.

Thanks.

Forbiden

If it's anything similar to how questing worked in 1.0, then you won't be getting "more" exp on a lower level job by turning in a higher level quest completed with a higher level job.

Basically in 1.0, if you finished say a level 35 quest that would give you say 5000 exp, and tried to turn it in with a level 1 class so you could rank up to level 10 fast, it would let you turn in the quest with the level 1 class, but it would give you massively nerfed exp. Something along the likes of 5-50 exp for turning it in with a underleveled class, as opposed to the full 5000 exp if you had turned it in with a class at the right level.

I believe the reduced exp scaled as you leveled up, so at level 34 you would get most of the theoretical 5000 exp from the quest. Given how this mechanism was in 1.0, I don't see why it wouldn't be in ARR..

Qvoth

if my ff14 service account is listed as cancelled on my square enix account management, can i still get in on phase 3?
i have no active service accounts at the moment for ff14 under "select service" tab

Lucis

If it's anything similar to how questing worked in 1.0, then you won't be getting "more" exp on a lower level job by turning in a higher level quest completed with a higher level job.

Basically in 1.0, if you finished say a level 35 quest that would give you say 5000 exp, and tried to turn it in with a level 1 class so you could rank up to level 10 fast, it would let you turn in the quest with the level 1 class, but it would give you massively nerfed exp. Something along the likes of 5-50 exp for turning it in with a underleveled class, as opposed to the full 5000 exp if you had turned it in with a class at the right level.

I believe the reduced exp scaled as you leveled up, so at level 34 you would get most of the theoretical 5000 exp from the quest. Given how this mechanism was in 1.0, I don't see why it wouldn't be in ARR..

This was the kind of stuff I was looking for.

I will try again this weekend if phase 1 didn't end, not sure if i'll touch phase 2 =/

Riposte

It cracks me up that back in early to mid days of FFXI there was a constant demand for there to be "official forums", like WoW. The fansites with organically shaped communities apparently was not enough. Well, here you go. Some shitty official forums, just like every set of official forums, while the best communities (e.g. Blue Gartr, even GAF) which give the best insight to developers are still the unofficial ones.

EDIT: I will say this though: The lore forum is alright with me.

if my ff14 service account is listed as cancelled on my square enix account management, can i still get in on phase 3?
i have no active service accounts at the moment for ff14 under "select service" tab

You'll probably get in but to play you need to activate it.

Jinko

It cracks me up that back in early to mid days of FFXI there was a constant demand for there to be "official forums", like WoW. The fansites with organically shaped communities apparently was not enough. Well, here you go. Some shitty official forums, just like every set of official forums, while the best communities (e.g. Blue Gartr, even GAF) which give the best insight to developers are still the unofficial ones.

EDIT: I will say this though: The lore forum is alright with me.

Yup non official forums will always be the better option because they aren't afraid to ban their members.

Those beta/1.0 forums need much better moderation, if you let people get away with something they will generally do it.

Letter from the Producer, XLIV (03/19/2013) Another week of phase 1 testing :(

Looks like they changed Guildhest for those open world XP whiners and I bet they still won't be happy.

Yup non official forums will always be the better option because they aren't afraid to ban their members.

Those beta/1.0 forums need much better moderation, if you let people get away with something they will generally do it.

Letter from the Producer, XLIV (03/19/2013) Another week of phase 1 testing :(

Looks like they changed Guildhest for those open world XP whiners and I bet they still won't be happy.

As I mentioned earlier, gamepad functionality will be ready for testing in phase 2, which is scheduled to begin in early April.

:(

Still a long way until Phase 3 (and 4).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom