• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinko

Yea I'm not too worried how long they take as long as they don't rush it like 1.0, can't say I'm not looking forward to testing in phase 3 though.

Phase 2 is going to be boring as hell lol, Phase 1 will come to an end on the 25th which is 4 weeks exactly lol, So I'm guessing Phase 2 will start around the week of the 11th of April.

ebil

So much content scheduled for phase 3, it's crazy they're still intending to lift the NDA by then. They must be very confident.

By the way, I never attended Behest during V1 because of its restrictions and playing on an underpopulated server, was it really different from Battlecraft Leves?

Xux

So much content scheduled for phase 3, it's crazy they're still intending to lift the NDA by then. They must be very confident.

By the way, I never attended Behest during V1 because of its restrictions and playing on an underpopulated server, was it really different from Battlecraft Leves?
No, it was usually just fight a couple groups and then fight a boss. Aside from the rarity and their being at a set level that you needed a party at the camp's lowest level but could solo it at the higher levels, it was just a big leve.

ebil

No, it was usually just fight a couple groups and then fight a boss. Aside from the rarity and their being at a set level that you needed a party at the camp's lowest level but could solo it at the higher levels, it was just a big leve.
Thanks for the explanation!
I hope they make it a bit different from the rest and more interesting in terms of mechanics, then, or everything is going to feel the same eventually (leves, FATE, Guildhest...).

Z3M0G

I want to read lots of discussion about the game and beta, but the General Discussion board of the Beta forums is completely horrible... I can't stand the current community. I can't believe the things that people freak out over... When I learned that Phase 1 was almost 100% Legacy players, it made a lot more sense... people who have payed to play XIV until the bitter end must be the most difficult to please with dramatic changes. Someone like me, who only played the game for a short while then gave up but payed for Legacy status just to get the permanent montly discount, am loving the new game.

I barely touched it this weekend, but really want to try controller support in Phase 2. Otherwise I'd just skip it and wait for Phase 3, but playing with a controller is important and I want to test the shit out of that.

Edit: Anyone know when they will stop doing server wipes? Phase 3 grants access to original characters, right? But will there still be further wipes after that point?

ebil

Edit: Anyone know when they will stop doing server wipes? Phase 3 grants access to original characters, right? But will there still be further wipes after that point?

Here's the official word, from the Beta test application website:

Beta Test Character Data
At the commencement of the beta test, players will need to create new characters for testing purposes. At the end of phase 3, this character data will be wiped. From phase 4 onward, players will be permitted to retain their character data and carry it over to the official release version. However, depending on the circumstances, character data may still need to be wiped, so please bear this in mind. We will notify players in advance should this become necessary.

Version 1.0 Character Data
Character data from FFXIV Version 1.0 will be transferred and implemented in phase 3 in order to test the porting process. After fixing bugs that occur, we will wipe imported character data. This character data will be transferred and officially implemented in phase 4 of the beta test. These multiple transfers will ensure that the character data is transferred securely and safely. Additional details will be made available in the near future.
* If character data is wiped after the official transfer of FFXIV Version 1.0 character data, it will be transferred again during phase 4.

I'm pretty much done with phase 1 and it looks like I'll be skipping most of phase 2. I'll probably log in for a few hours to mess around with the controller interface but that's about it.

I can't wait until more areas are unlocked and the NDA is lifted.

:(

Still a long way until Phase 3 (and 4).

As Jinko said, I'm in no rush and I hope they aren't either. I just want them to get it right this time. I am not expecting this game to launch until July at the earliest. They are slightly behind the current roadmap and there needs to be about 2 weeks between each phase to debug, rebuild, and make adjustments.

ZiZ

I'm guessing phase 2 doesn't need as much time to test as phase 1, but they're going to drag it out to give them more time to implement phases 3 and 4.

Lucis

Another week of P1!

Seems like I can finish everything I want and completely ignore P2 then. (No way I'll be playing with controller, how the hell do you type when you want to)

Ricker

Another week of P1!

Seems like I can finish everything I want and completely ignore P2 then. (No way I'll be playing with controller, how the hell do you type when you want to)

That's the only problem...my set up allows me to put my controller down and use my keyboard to type but will FFIV support both?...like in Tera for example,you can have both going and switch on the fly but games like Skyrim on PC,it's one or the other.

So if I read what Ebil posted about the beta wipes in the quote...Phase 1 characters will carry over all the way till the end of Phase 3? I thought they would wipe for the start of Phase 2...?

ebil

So if I read what Ebil posted about the beta wipes in the quote...Phase 1 characters will carry over all the way till the end of Phase 3? I thought they would wipe for the start of Phase 2...?
According to the Beta Roadmap, characters will be wiped at the end of Phase 1 and Phase 2 as well.

Phase 1 > Wipe > Phase 2 > Wipe > Phase 3: new characters + Legacy characters test import > Wipe > Phase 4: characters and progression will carry over into release version only if they don't find any game-breaking bug and/or character data doesn't get corrupt at some point. There's no guarantee they won't wipe character data during phase 4, but they're not planning to if everything goes as intended.

edit: now you mention it, the Beta Test application site seems to imply there won't be a wipe at the end of phase 1 and 2.

Ala Alba

That's the only problem...my set up allows me to put my controller down and use my keyboard to type but will FFIV support both?...like in Tera for example,you can have both going and switch on the fly but games like Skyrim on PC,it's one or the other.

I had no problem using both in 1.2, fwiw.

Materia will be there in phase 3, right? If my spiritbond levels transfer over from 1.23, I'll have 100 pieces of fully bonded equipment to convert for phase 3/4. :)

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Another week of P1. Don't know how much I'll put into this weekend knowing he will be deleted. Maybe I'll try toto rak.

I will miss complete the phase 2. (I will be at Tokyo)

Let's see if i can test phase 3 or 4.

Jijidasu

If nothing is changing outside controller support I don't see the point in keeping phase 1 going for another weekend. They could iron out server bugs while they progressed into controller support.

If nothing is changing outside controller support I don't see the point in keeping phase 1 going for another weekend. They could iron out server bugs while they progressed into controller support.

It looks as if they have very specific things that they are testing in each round that they need to make sure of. Everything in the next seems to be stress testing things that they think they have ironed out. There is a thread about it on the beta forums, going over exactly what they expect us to do and what they are testing this round.

FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Official Benchmark (Exploration)
Tested on:3/19/2013 8:37:22 PM
Score:7630
Average Framerate:65.474
Performance:Extremely High
-Easily capable of running the game on the highest settings.

Screen Size: 1920x1080
Screen Mode: Full Screen
Graphics Presets: Maximum
General
-Improve overall graphic quality. : Enabled
-Disable rendering of objects when not visible. (Occlusion Culling) : Disabled
-Use low-detail models on distant objects to increase performance. (LOD) : Disabled
-Cache LOD data only when necessary. (LOD Streaming) : Disabled
-Smooth edges. (Anti-aliasing) : Enabled
-Increase transparent lighting quality. : Enabled
-Grass Quality : High
Shadows
-Use low-detail models on shadows to increase performance. (LOD) : Disabled
-Display : All
-Shadow Resolution : High: 2048 pixels
-Shadow Cascading : High
-Shadow Softening : High
Texture Detail
-Texture Filtering : High
-Anisotropic Filtering : High
Effects
-Naturally darken the edges of the screen. (Limb Darkening) : Enabled
-Blur the graphics around an object in motion. (Radial Blur) : Enabled
-Effects While in Motion : Display All
-Screen Space Ambient Occlusion : High
-Glare : Normal
Cinematic Cutscenes
-Enable depth of field. : Enabled

System:
7 New Generation Edition 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130104-1431)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz
8147.168MB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670(VRAM 4042 MB) 9.18.0013.1421

Benchmark results do not provide any guarantee FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn will run on your system.

FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Official Website http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com
(C) 2010-2013 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved.

Tweet
http://sqex.to/ffxiv_bench_na #FFXIV Score:7630 1920x1080 Maximum Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz NVIDIA GeFor

Just ran a bench after finishing up my first water cooled build. mATX system, stock clocks.

LowParry

I hope that GAF can pull some good numbers with people playing this. Me and a few friends are already convinced to playing. Our problem is we generally just kind of do our own but once it gets to end game stuff, if just one person is gone, we're doomed. And I miss talking with lots of folks. We were with Guild Wars 2 for a while but we all sort of lost interest. For now it's been TERA but we're feeling that lack of guild again and the interest is falling fast.

I wants Phase 3 though! :( :(

Jinko

It looks as if they have very specific things that they are testing in each round that they need to make sure of. Everything in the next seems to be stress testing things that they think they have ironed out. There is a thread about it on the beta forums, going over exactly what they expect us to do and what they are testing this round.

Problem is they aren't being clear on where this stuff is posted, there are so many different threads on that forum, don't blame anyone for being confused.

Problem is they aren't being clear on where this stuff is posted, there are so many different threads on that forum, don't blame anyone for being confused.

Well that's not exactly true. Only place official stuff is posted on it is in the news and topics subsections, so if you have read everything in them then you know just from a refresh if something new has been posted. Which is where the info on what they expect people do do in this next testing period is.

Jijidasu

I wonder what kind of information and media will surface at PAX this weekend. I thought that it was originally just for FFXIV but recent information that has surfaced on twitter shows it's including Tomb Raider and FFXI as well. For a 1 hour panel that doesn't leave much space.

zulfate

I wonder what kind of information and media will surface at PAX this weekend. I thought that it was originally just for FFXIV but recent information that has surfaced on twitter shows it's including Tomb Raider and FFXI as well. For a 1 hour panel that doesn't leave much space.

A quick 1 minute trailer of a raid probably

Riposte

Now is the time I start asking for unreasonable help in hopes of receiving it.

I'm finally laying out the OT and like I said previously, I working on it to make something quite noteworthy. In any case, I'm hoping if someone could find these 1.0 images I'd like (and in halfway okay quality, but it doesn't need to be amazing):

-The scene where the three Grand Company leaders are holding their weapons together.
-Nael Deus Darnus in his full glory. (i.e. Cutscene image)
-The most of the changing states of Dalamund (These don't actually have to be screenshots, but that would be the best route)
-Good profiles of Cid and Louisoix and the rest of the Circle of Knowing.

What I would like to do with these images is cut out the focus of the image (the characters or Dalamund) and then shrink them down. They will be added into a background image which will have a text giving readers a summary of 1.0 overlaid onto it.

Maybe I'm asking too much? Or asking in the wrong place?

EDIT: What are some things the OT must mention, beyond the obvious stuff?

Lucis

I'm finally laying out the OT and like I said previously, I working on it to make something quite noteworthy. In any case, I'm hoping if someone could find these 1.0 images I'd like (and in halfway okay quality, but it doesn't need to be amazing):

-The scene where the three Grand Company leaders are holding their weapons together.
-Nael Deus Darnus in his full glory.
-The most of the changing states of Dalamund (These don't actually have to be screenshots, but that would be the best route)

What I would like to do with these images is cut out the focus of the image (the characters or Dalamund) and then shrink them down. They will be added into a background image which will have a text giving readers a summary of 1.0 overlaid onto it.

won't http://www.finalfantasyxivcutscenes.com/ have most if not all of them?

Lucis

Perhaps. I didn't think of ripping from those videos, because I wasn't clear how good the quality was.

simple print screen:
7bpLGeQ.jpg

can probably bullshot it a bit for after effect (make it sharper and less motion)
Actually looks better with out the image compression osx default print screen capture.
if you really are into it , you can grab frame, which should look better, save as loss less, touch up.

N.A

Banned
9044.jpg

Coming in early April, this new smartphone application will allow players to generate one-time passwords. We highly recommend it to our users as a quick and easy way to enhance the security of your Square Enix account with your iOS or Android device.

Further details will be announced at a later date.

Buttons

-Nael Deus Darnus in his full glory. (i.e. Cutscene image)

My blog should have many of those images that you could use. I'll go through it later to see what I can find.

http://buttons-tarutaru.blogspot.de/

Jinko

Why would you use 1.0 images for an OT on ARR ?

That's going to cause confusion, ARR isn't going to be out til after July so you might wana hold off a bit, NDA is lifted in phase 3 so you could take your own pics then.

omlet

Why would you use 1.0 images for an OT on ARR ?

because

Hmm... some stuff off the top of my head, most of which is probably already included in your "obvious stuff" but just in case:

- Basic info (including note that 1.x account holders will not need to re-purchase the game to play on PC, but will if they want to play PS3 version), PC system requirements, PS3 HDD requirements, links to official site, etc.
- Backstory of 1.x. "Main" story line revolving around the Echo and the player character (brief, just need to explain what Echo was since it's likely to be in ARR) as one piece and then another piece revolving around Dalamud and related Grand Company events.
- Basic gameplay description, specifically combat I guess
- Detailed section of races
- Detailed section of classes and jobs, explain the difference between them, highlight emphasis on non-combat classes
- Highlight some of the features or content that ARR is touting; FATEs, housing, chocobo raising, armory system, crystal tower, etc.
- Regional servers will be encourage but not enforced
- There is no "gaf guild" but by the time the OT needs to go live there may be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom