• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

N.A

Banned
Only things that were new were the chocobo outfit and the mention of "Final Fantasy VII references that have not yet been announced". They mentioned Limit Breaks & Gold Saucer so it's not them.

Munba

I only hope they don't put TOO much about other FFs.. risking to make realm reborn without own identity. :/

Jinko

I only hope they don't put TOO much about other FFs.. risking to make realm reborn without own identity. :/

I doubt that would actually hurt ARR, I am kind of glad they are adding all this stuff, maybe it will seem like a Final Fantasy game something I thought FF11 never did, even though it had moogles and chocobos.

Riposte

I doubt that would actually hurt ARR, I am kind of glad they are adding all this stuff, maybe it will seem like a Final Fantasy game something I thought FF11 never did, even though it had moogles and chocobos.

I don't recall other Final Fantasys copy-pasting everything from each other. Moogles and Chocobos and common enemy types is usually how it goes. It is unfortunate because XI and XIV have the best settings of the series (except maybe VIII, but whatever).

I don't recall other Final Fantasys copy-pasting everything from each other. Moogles and Chocobos and common enemy types is usually how it goes. It is unfortunate because XI and XIV have the best settings of the series (except maybe VIII, but whatever).

Well I think the best place to have more elements from different FF games is something like a MMO. As long as these elements are designed to fit the ARR world I don't have a problem with having a Gold Saucer, Crystal Tower, etc...

Allard

FFIX was full of references, tributes and allusions to the previous games, this isn't a first for the series.

Mount Gulug comes to mind. Reference to the first Final Fantasy complete with music being just an updated instance and it was an integral zone to the world of FFIX toward the end. I think the main thing they need to be careful of is to not let the 'allusions' to past Final Fantasy's mess too directly with the overall lore of the world and the story. Couple bosses and side quests (hell music tracks) are fine (even zone ideas), but lifting wholesale plots and characters from past Final Fantasy's is something I want them to avoid unless they can do it in their own unique way (Dalamuud mirroring the meteor storyline of FFVII, but it had its own unique twists). I think bringing in limit break and the Gold Saucer isn't a bad idea since its almost guaranteed to have its own feel separate from FFVII.

But I worry just a 'tad' bit with the warriors of light plot they rummaged up a bit for nostalgia purposes. Its generic enough to become its own identity, but its also established enough to keep the world from coming up with its own unique problems.

Well I think the best place to have more elements from different FF games is something like a MMO. As long as these elements are designed to fit the ARR world I don't have a problem with having a Gold Saucer, Crystal Tower, etc...

Right, unavoidably so because of both noncognitive and cognitive reactions come into play when getting into the dynamics of aesthetic appreciation. If there is any Final Fantasy game that should incorporate known motifs, what better place than the MMO, provided its gameplay and narrative structure, right?

They're doing great so far:

• behemoths
  • Amano designed creatures
  • FF throwbacks (ie. sylphs, demon-walls, magitek, gunblades)
  • FF sound effects
  • FF classes
  • FF named stuff (deathbringer, gungnir, magemasher)

ebil

Mount Gulug comes to mind. Reference to the first Final Fantasy complete with music being just an updated instance and it was an integral zone to the world of FFIX toward the end. I think the main thing they need to be careful of is to not let the 'allusions' to past Final Fantasy's mess too directly with the overall lore of the world and the story. Couple bosses and side quests (hell music tracks) are fine (even zone ideas), but lifting wholesale plots and characters from past Final Fantasy's is something I want them to avoid unless they can do it in their own unique way (Dalamuud mirroring the meteor storyline of FFVII, but it had its own unique twists). I think bringing in limit break and the Gold Saucer isn't a bad idea since its almost guaranteed to have its own feel separate from FFVII.

But I worry just a 'tad' bit with the warriors of light plot they rummaged up a bit for nostalgia purposes. Its generic enough to become its own identity, but its also established enough to keep the world from coming up with its own unique problems.
Yeah, I agree with the whole post. I want them to come up with their unique story and lore, but at the same time, I really like the subtle and not-so-subtle references (for instance, Dalamud probably was as much a reference to FF4's red moon, home to Bahamut, as it was a reference to FF7). I liked how FF9 was a love letter to the old games while retaining its own identity and I hope this game follows suit.

As long as they give the references their own 'twist' and as long as it fits Hydaelyn and its lore as a separate thing from the rest of the series, I'm fine with it. The Seventh Umbral Era storyline kept me interested and I'm not too worried if they keep the same approach.

(edit: besides, isn't Yaeko Sato, who worked on FF11 and V1 still lead writer on ARR?)

ebil

is there going to be more beta invites going out for Phase2?
It's very likely. They keep inviting people (they gave Beta invites to all the people attending their PAX East Panel) and they're supposedly still adding servers as they proceed through phases, even though they have deviated from their initial plan by opening more servers earlier than planned.

Z3M0G

I really can't wait till the beta opens up to a lot more players beyond the Legacy crowd... I want to know how non-legacy players are feeling about the beta. (Even though NDA restricts discussion outside of the Beta forums, which probably only Legacy players will continue to populate...)

creid

Anyone go to the PAX panel? What did they give out? Tried to get there but I was 5-10 min late, and it was completely full. I think the FFXIV twitter posted that there were "art cards," but I'm not sure what they were.

Without really giving specifics... a few of my friends from TERA got into the beta and they're having a lot of fun with it. These people specifically did not play FF XIV 1.0. I have a also guildmate who played 1.0 until she got to 25 before quitting and she's loving most of the changes in ARR.

I think that as usual there is a relatively small group of malcontents on the forum that are making a lot of noise. Some people have valid complaints and concerns, but there seem to be almost as many "give us 1.23 combat system" or "where did FF XIV go?" posts that aren't really helping anybody.

ebil

And I suspect that won't change, ever. There are a few good threads here and there in General Discussion (and the awesome lore/localization threads in the Lodestone OF) but the vocal FF11/V1 'loyalists' will keep on going like a broken record, no matter how many non-legacy players get in.
MMO official forums have a reputation of being awful for a reason, and this game is no different.

What I'm really looking forward to, as far as impressions go, is phase 3 because there won't be a NDA anymore, so there will be a lot more activity on other forums/blogs/websites. This has the potential to make or break the game.

What I'm really looking forward to, as far as impressions go, is phase 3 because there won't be a NDA anymore, so there will be a lot more activity on other forums/blogs/websites. This has the potential to make or break the game.

Agreed.

What we really need are the people who played FF XIV 1.0 but quit. Once they have access in Phase 3, we'll have a better idea of where the game really stands.

Allard

Actually, fairly sure the NDA is implemented till phase 4, at least according to the beta test road map. Phase 4 = Open beta, Phase 3 = Regional Server + 1.0 Port Testing and just happens to include a lot of new content and gameplay changes.

ebil

Actually, fairly sure the NDA is implemented till phase 4, at least according to the beta test road map. Phase 4 = Open beta, Phase 3 = Regional Server + 1.0 Port Testing and just happens to include a lot of new content and gameplay changes.
It was initially, but they changed the roadmap a few weeks after releasing it. The NDA part was specifically altered between the two versions.

Edit: it will be interesting to see if they decide to change it back to the way it was, will speak volumes about their self-confidence.

Allard

It was initially, but they changed the roadmap a few weeks after releasing it. The NDA part was specifically altered between the two versions.

Edit: it will be interesting to see if they decide to change it back to the way it was, will speak volumes about their self-confidence.

Didn't know about the change to road map test, but then again I don't know why they are bothering with an NDA in the first place with so many people in beta, especially since it has every single legacy person in beta.

Lucis

Agreed.

What we really need are the people who played FF XIV 1.0 but quit. Once they have access in Phase 3, we'll have a better idea of where the game really stands.

plenty of those people are playing already, you only needed 3 months for legacy, I am one of those people. This game is a lot better than 1.x (i tried 1.0 and 1.2x).

Jinko

Yup, I don't think it was a very good idea really to offer phase 1 as mainly Legacy, don't get me wrong I'm glad to have experienced it but I don't think it is doing the game or the forums any favours.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Anyone go to the PAX panel? What did they give out? Tried to get there but I was 5-10 min late, and it was completely full. I think the FFXIV twitter posted that there were "art cards," but I'm not sure what they were.
Yeah they did give art cards. My friend that went also got a code for the beta test. I just entered it to my account but am unable to download the beta.

Cannot affect Reborn right now... sure if relaunch doesn't go as hoped we will have to wait and see what the new management has in mind.

Nothing can change now... project is far too close to its end.

Munba

Cannot affect Reborn right now... sure if relaunch doesn't go as hoped we will have to wait and see what the new management has in mind.

Nothing can change now... project is far too close to its end.

Agree. The project is too much important to think about any sort of change.

Jinko

The game will come out. How much "patience" will had the new CEO with it once launched we'll have to see.

I'm talking about number of subscribers and all.

Are you assuming Wada made the choice to remake ARR on his own? wouldn't something like that have to go through the board of directors and the CFO in the first place.

N.A

Banned
Will miss Wada's appearances in the Live Letters :( He seemed genuinely enthusiastic about ARR and I hope his successor will be similarly so.

N.A

Banned
From Yoshi-P on the forums:

"Please be assured that our development policy, development attitude and development structure won’t be affected at all."

"Our policies haven’t changed at all, and we’re pushing forward to the launch of the new game backed by the support of the whole company.
Actually our sense of responsibility towards the rebirth of Final Fantasy XIV is strengthened. As producer and Director I’m determined and prepared for it and I’m working hard to deliver the best game I can.
Please don’t worry."

Are you assuming Wada made the choice to remake ARR on his own? wouldn't something like that have to go through the board of directors and the CFO in the first place.

Well I always guessed he's the one who pushed more for it. He was pretty adamant of the whole MMO strategy. (DQ X and this). And seems that the board of directors went with most decisions Wada did, over the time.

Having to spent a fuckton of money making another game after such a big failure on a disminishing MMO landscape (well, in the subscription ones) is probably something a CFO wouldn't have aproved. Is basically unprecedented on the gaming world.

Riposte

not overall, no. i don't think it says anything positive about his faith in the success of FFXIV 2.0 though.

What is more likely is that this restructuring was planned in advance since many mistakes have been made under Wada over the years, including the rushed launch of 1.0.

Jijidasu

http://jp.finalfantasyxiv.com/blog

Soken's new hijack. Thanalan/Ul'dah series. Quite a treat!

Couple of other things people might be interested in knowing (via Connect On! released today in Japan (interview with Soken and Yoshida))

They went over the primary instruments which characterise the 3 main cities:

Ul'dah's music is mostly composed with banjos, carimba with orchestrated elements.

Limsa is all about brass instruments.

Gridania is wooden instruments such as wooden pipes.

Soken was/is pretty anxious to hear the response to the new Thanalan theme (it's nice in my opinion, if a bit solemn (makes you wonder what kind of changes the area has gone through). Hopes to show more of it in the next walk-through video which is speculated to go out next week sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom