• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qvoth

So I recently got a new computer and I'm trying to re install the beta yet whenever I try to install/update using the launcher an error comes up saying
"A problem occurred while updating.
Please restart FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn (Beta Version)"

I've restarted it and even uninstalled and reinstalled it but it's not making a difference. Does anyone know how to fix it?

Cheers.

u using windows 7?
Windows® 7 Users
If an error requesting that you install Windows Vista Service Pack 2 occurs during installation, please follow these steps:
Right-click ffxivsetup.exe and open Properties.
In the Compatibility tab, click Change settings for all users.
Uncheck the box for "Run this program in compatibility mode for:” and click Apply.

Deadly

Anyone know how the updater works here? Is it possible for me to download from another computer than transfer the folder/files and on the computer where I want to play, it'll just verify?

Jinko

Anyone know how the updater works here? Is it possible for me to download from another computer than transfer the folder/files and on the computer where I want to play, it'll just verify?

Yea you can copy the whole FFXIV folder over and it should work.

Sora_N

Thank you for your interest in FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn! It is our pleasure to inform you that you have been selected for the role of Beta Tester. Be sure to read over this e-mail thoroughly and we look forward to your assistance during the testing process.

I'm so excited now.

Having trouble logging into the beta tester forum, my id isn't working? I can login to other SE pages...

EDIT: Nvm, for some reason I had to do my email without the @domain.

sqwarlock

Got into the beta this morning (YES!) but having been stuck at work all day I can't download until I get home (NO!). About how long does the client take to download?

EDIT: Nevermind. Just got on the forums and noticed that the beta test is scheduled for this weekend. Guess I don't have to worry about the length of the download then.

LowParry

Grats to those who got into beta! Download is probably something you'll want to have running while you sleep. I recall mine taking about up to 3 or 4 hours.

Qvoth

anybody else having maintenance error when updating their game?
kinda bummed, was hoping updates could be done by today
can your download continue if you shutdown your pc or does it have to finish in 1 go?
last night i was having 250+ kpbs speed and download estimation time says 1050ish minutes :(

edit: unless the game's already finished updating, i might be wrong nvm

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Sweet, got into beta :D

N.A

Banned
So with the next Live Letter being on Thursday I hope we'll get more info on these:

• Materia - I wish they'd remove the RNG melding and just make materia rarer.
  • Limsa Lominsa footage
  • Primals - I think Ifrit/Garuda are confirmed to be in at launch but what about Good King Moggle Mog XII? I know they have already shown artwork of him.
  • Roaming Primals - More details on how these will work and how summoning them works.
  • First Arcanist footage

Nakazato

So with the next Live Letter being on Thursday I hope we'll get more info on these:

• Limsa Lominsa footage
  • Primals - I think Ifrit/Garuda are confirmed to be in at launch but what about Good King Moggle Mog XII? I know they have already shown artwork of him.
  • Roaming Primals - More details on how these will work and how summoning them works.
  • First Arcanist footage

Damn going to miss it

omlet

Never going to happen unless they throttle gathering and crafting output and spirit bond rate by something like at least a factor of 10.

I mean, let's think about it... How would you make materia more rare in a way that didn't screw up other stuff? If materia would still come from spiritbound gear, what options are there?

Make materia more rare by making it so fewer items become materia at all? That's either still RNG (on the convert process) or it makes many items (known to not produce materia) worthless, severely undermining the non-combat classes.

Make materia more rare by taking longer to spirit bind? Workable, but if the rate at which SB fodder gear can be crafted is not adjusted accordingly then you get a glut of supply pushing people away from doing any crafting.

Make materia more rare by making crafting take longer? This would just be a step back to 1.0 era that would drive people nuts, especially if other game systems (gathering and combat, specifically) were not slow down by the same factor.

Make materia come from dungeons? Not a bad idea as a supplement and 1.x already did this in a sense (special materia from primal weapons, for example), but it wouldn't work as a replacement for the known (1.x) materia system unless you couldn't get materia from other gear, which would in turn make crafting and gathering rather pointless.

Make materia not come from spiritbound gear at all? They'd need to come up with some other use for those thousands of ingredients and crafted items being brought into circulation or else we're back to the same problem that caused them to implement the materia system in the first place.

Most workable method I can think of would be make crafts take lots more materials. That would maintain demand for ingredients while throttling the output of SB fodder. Runs the risk of keeping ingredient prices so high that new crafters can't break into the market immediately, but that's okay.

Anyway, not expecting them to really change the overall system from 1.x due to concerns for broad economic balance, but since the topic was brought up, got any ideas?

Jinko

• Materia - I wish they'd remove the RNG melding and just make materia rarer

Agreed, I don't care how they do it as long as they do.

I would be happy to pay an extortionate fee on melding tbh as long as it removed the randomness, ie a factor of 10 for every additonal materia or something. (pay the materia goblin to meld at 100% or get a player to meld for you with random chance ?)

It could work something like:-
item LVL x 100 gil x tier x materia slot.
Lvl 50 x 100 gil x tier IV x 1 = 20k
LVL 50 x 100 gil x tier IV x 3 = 60k

So a triple meld would cost 20k + 40k + 60k :p

Materia and the marketwards are probably my biggest disappointments in 1.0.

omlet

I would be happy to pay an extortionate fee on melding tbh as long as it removed the randomness, ie a factor of 10 for every additonal materia or something. (pay the materia goblin to meld at 100% or get a player to meld for you with random chance ?).

In the Land of RNG over in TERA, where your item stats can be re-rolled randomly, there is an option to basically pay out the nose to progressively remove randomness from your item's stats (Spellbinds)... it can be prohibitively expensive, but at least the option is there if you want to pay to get the most out of your gear (which isn't at all necessary to clear the game's content, but obviously never it hurts and lets you clear faster).

I think a similar system could be worked into XIV... maybe going off Jinko's idea, you pay the materia goblin to reinforce your melded gear to make it more resistant to breaking when attempting a double meld (I hate the idea of paying NPC to meld for you, takes meaning away from player crafters), the more you want him to reinforce it, the more it costs you, and it would be exponential not a linear increase, like maybe a 5% boost would only run you 50k but to cap at unbreakable (100%) would run you millions. Would be a great for pulling gil from circulation, too!

The thing is, it would really need to be really expensive--like to the point where you would still feel like the consideration between using that service or chancing a normal multi-meld had some weight--or it would kind of be pointless.

N.A

Banned
Anyway, not expecting them to really change the overall system from 1.x due to concerns for broad economic balance, but since the topic was brought up, got any ideas?

Well Yoshi said the materia system has been revamped.

Personally I'd like 1 slot being 100% like now but it can equip special materia with bigger boosts. You then have 3 other slots that give minor boosts (less than 1.0's). Each additional meld reduces chance of success but failure only breaks all materia in these 3 slots and not the weapon.

E.G:

__O (100% meld rate, can insert rare materia like Ifrit materia or something)
__/ \
O-O-O (gradually decreasing meld rate, if meld fails all materia on this row break. Small bonuses, cannot insert special materia)

Weapons should have different slot amounts so you could have weapons with weaker base stats but lots of slots vs. weapons with higher base stats but fewer slots.

omlet

Well Yoshi said the materia system has been revamped.

Right, but I meant I don't see any indication that they'd make materia not do what it did before ARR: remove items from circulation (by destroying them at a high rate).

From all indications, materia is still going to serve that purpose and that's what I meant. As far as making multi-melds less frustrating and making the use of different kinds of materia actually attractive via different stat math, I'm all for it. If anything, soulbinding binding gear to characters will also serve to reduce gear in circulation so easing up on the meld rates actually wouldn't unbalance the availability of powerful melded gear like it would have in 1.x.

So hey guys, will the crafting system remain pretty much the same at launch?

Any reason to keep gear rather than sell it? (de-synth, salvage mechanics?)

What are good crafting/gathering jobs to supplement a Gladiator main?

What are good crafting/gathering jobs to supplement a Conjurer main?

Thanks!

omlet

So hey guys, will the crafting system remain pretty much the same at launch?
As what, 1.x or beta? Either way the answer is likely "yes" since late 1.x crafting was moving towards the system shown for ARR anyway.

Any reason to keep gear rather than sell it? (de-synth, salvage mechanics?)
Assuming in ARR you can still convert most gear into materia after being spirit bound like in 1.x, selling gear to an NPC will generally be pointless unless you're in a rush to clear inventory space.

What are good crafting/gathering jobs to supplement a Gladiator main?
Mining and armorer, blacksmith, goldsmith, and alchemist.

What are good crafting/gathering jobs to supplement a Conjurer main?
Botanist and weaver, carpenter, goldsmith, and alchemist.

Mature

In the Land of RNG over in TERA, where your item stats can be re-rolled randomly, there is an option to basically pay out the nose to progressively remove randomness from your item's stats (Spellbinds)... it can be prohibitively expensive, but at least the option is there if you want to pay to get the most out of your gear (which isn't at all necessary to clear the game's content, but obviously never it hurts and lets you clear faster).

I think a similar system could be worked into XIV... maybe going off Jinko's idea, you pay the materia goblin to reinforce your melded gear to make it more resistant to breaking when attempting a double meld (I hate the idea of paying NPC to meld for you, takes meaning away from player crafters), the more you want him to reinforce it, the more it costs you, and it would be exponential not a linear increase, like maybe a 5% boost would only run you 50k but to cap at unbreakable (100%) would run you millions. Would be a great for pulling gil from circulation, too!

The thing is, it would really need to be really expensive--like to the point where you would still feel like the consideration between using that service or chancing a normal multi-meld had some weight--or it would kind of be pointless.
I think this is a neat idea. To make things more interesting, maybe you could use a certain catalyst acquired from dungeons or primals to subsidize the amount of gil needed. Maybe an alternative to the generic dark matter consolation prize?

Yea I would be ok with failure only destroying the materia and catalyst also.
I have a feeling something like this will change. The original justification for the brutal punishment of a failed meld was because the benefit of the materia was so significant, but they've already said that the effect of materia is going to be less extreme, so it would make sense to make the fail state a bit more lax.

Victrix

*beard*
Dear Square: I appreciate the invite, but your authentication process is still absolute garbage, your website is a confusing mess, the login process is a cludge, you logged me out after every freaking account change, and I want to kill your website designer.

Seriously what should have been a 'sign in to beta, download client' took me twenty minutes.

Not a good first impression :|

Jijidasu

Dear Square: I appreciate the invite, but your authentication process is still absolute garbage, your website is a confusing mess, the login process is a cludge, you logged me out after every freaking account change, and I want to kill your website designer.

Seriously what should have been a 'sign in to beta, download client' took me twenty minutes.

I think there's a feedback section, in bold, on the actual forums.

Victrix

*beard*
I think there's a feedback section, in bold, on the actual forums.

I'm just venting, anyone with two eyes can tell their account website is shit. It was shit years ago, it's still shit, so they clearly don't care about changing it much :D

The process is so awful I could easily see it turning away someone who has only a passing interest in trying the game, but I guess this is the cost of having a giant corporation at the helm. Change is sloooooooooow.

ForzaFerrari

Neo Member

Kids these days

pablito

yeah i fell victim to some shenanigans last beta invite. somehow i signed up for the wrong region, which is all me. however i was still trying to find out my account info, because i had forgotten it because i haven't been logged in the game for a good year now. they have like 2 logins. one that takes an email, one that doesn't. but i didn't realize that, and kept changing my password thinking i had it wrong lol. then i got email saying logins were suspended because of suspicious activity. i get it, but i just stopped trying.

luckily i figured it out last night when i saw a second beta invite. then it took me forever to find the client download lol. had to google it, actually.

omlet

I think SE's website designers and forum admins made only one critical mistake regarding beta-related webpages: assuming people would read the words they put on them.

Allard

Phase 2 scope and update notes have been added to the beta forum. Looks like personal Chocobo's (non-combat ones like 1.0) and grand company (with seals and gear acquisition) will be available in phase 2 after all.

pablito

I think SE's website designers and forum admins made only one critical mistake regarding beta-related webpages: assuming people would read the words they put on them.

well after i got back into my account and registered the beta code, it didn't direct me to a download client. it told me to go somewhere on my account page, which i did, and all it said was that i had ffxiv registered and the date i registered it. i'm glad i got it figured out, but it was not clear how to get the install started.

Chairhome

I have lost hope in getting a beta invite :-(. Though I think I did get in on the last round of beta invites the first time around. anxious to play ARR though.

Jinko

Phase 2 scope and update notes have been added to the beta forum. Looks like personal Chocobo's (non-combat ones like 1.0) and grand company (with seals and gear acquisition) will be available in phase 2 after all.

Cool, seems they are keeping up a good pace with the development after all.

Mr. Hyde

it's on the beta forums brah
after you finished with the square enix account, they asked you to make an account for the beta forums right

Hmm. I don't remember them asking me to make a separate beta forum account. I got to the login section of the forum but it would not let me log in I guess due to needing the extra account. I will check it when I get home.

Jinko

Hmm. I don't remember them asking me to make a separate beta forum account. I got to the login section of the forum but it would not let me log in I guess due to needing the extra account. I will check it when I get home.

Don't need to make a forum account it just asks you for a forum name but besides that you use the same log in info you did for your SE account.

If you can't log into the beta forum you have done something wrong when you added your beta code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom