• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weren't they supposed to? Or did they change their minds?

Yes and yes. They mentioned the change in how they were doing things a few days ago.

Anyway, got chocobo whistle and explored the world again. Did get to see some of the around lv 30 fates when getting it so that was fun. Now back to waiting for next phase.

Talents

Banned
Uhh... can't update for some reason. Keeps coming up with
"Unable to launch FINAL FANTASY XIV Updater.
[11035][32][19900][32]

Been trying for over 3 hours. HNNNGGG.

sqwarlock

This is the first MMO to really make me feel like I need to upgrade my GPU. Running with a 560ti right now, and my computer is having trouble running this on high settings. Inside the Adventurer's Guild and I'm barely breaking 50 fps.

Pretty game though.

EDIT: Just got to the point where I can see other players, and my FPS tanked to 28-30 in the guild house. Switching to medium settings only raised my FPS by about 2-3. Really hoping this is just because it's beta, and that the engine will become more optimized towards release.

Qvoth

This is the first MMO to really make me feel like I need to upgrade my GPU. Running with a 560ti right now, and my computer is having trouble running this on high settings. Inside the Adventurer's Guild and I'm barely breaking 50 fps.

Pretty game though.

EDIT: Just got to the point where I can see other players, and my FPS tanked to 28-30 in the guild house. Switching to medium settings only raised my FPS by about 2-3. Really hoping this is just because it's beta, and that the engine will become more optimized towards release.

how do you check fps in this game?
and did you try out the ff14 arr benchmark they released a while ago?

Adamm

Loving this game so far. Its so pretty.

Cant stop playing! Up to level 8 now :D

Char name is Zigoch Nang on Tonberry

Ricker

Pretty game though.

I have the same card as you and it works pretty well...there is a lot of people in the same starting area though since they sent new invites...this might be your problem,it's just server lag...also how many RAM do you have...since I upgraded from 4 to 8,that helped a lot...

lol my wired 360 controller isn't working at all

Mine is always plugged in on my PC and it saw it right away...you also have to go into the options and switch to it for better options...

Ala Alba

Mine is always plugged in on my PC and it saw it right away...you also have to go into the options and switch to it for better options...

The first time I tried it, no button worked.

The fifth time I tried it, buttons worked, but, well...

L-stick button = A
R-stick button = B
Back button = X
Start button = Y
B = RT
A = LT
RB = RB, strangely
LB = LB
X = Sit ;_;/focus on target (whatever button that is)
Y = 1st person (R-stick button?)
d-pad left = L-stick left
d-pad right = L-stick right
r-stick up = L-stick up (walking only)
r-stick down = L-stick down (walking only)
r-stick left = L-stick up (running only)
r-stick right = L-stick down (running only)

Nothing else seems to do anything.

omlet

Characters were wiped, weren't they?

Nope, same characters from phase 1. They will be wiped at the end of phase 2. Beta roadmap did not indicate a wipe or not at the end of phase 1 so there was some uncertainty until now. Maybe they felt like not enough people were testing the (beta) level cap stuff? At least in my case I never even got anything over 20 because I kept remaking characters because of servers being full/congested and also just to mess with character creator.

I think I'm going to be too busy to get on beta this weekend, but no wipe == even though I don't care about gamepads I actually feel motivated to do some testing this phase whereas I wouldn't have if there had been a wipe...

Munba

Characters were wiped, weren't they? So what level does the GC track start at now?

I'm still lv25, dunno if there is a specific level when the GC track plays (it plays when i enter in the GC building). Maybe when minstrel allows you to partecipate in GC?

Ricker

The first time I tried it, no button worked.

The fifth time I tried it, buttons worked, but, well...

L-stick button = A
R-stick button = B
Back button = X
Start button = Y
B = RT
A = LT
RB = RB, strangely
LB = LB
X = Sit ;_;/focus on target (whatever button that is)
Y = 1st person (R-stick button?)
d-pad left = L-stick left
d-pad right = L-stick right
r-stick up = L-stick up (walking only)
r-stick down = L-stick down (walking only)
r-stick left = L-stick up (running only)
r-stick right = L-stick down (running only)

Nothing else seems to do anything.

I dont understand...for me Y is the jump button,X brings out the map,stuff like that...LT + A brings up the hotbar where you can assign your skills by dragging the one you want in there and so on... Back brings up the hand cursor and start puts the hand cursor on the icons in the bottom right,that you move with the D-PAD or Left analog...etc etc

Azrael

I'm kind of disappointed with the beta =(. The map redesign is great. The Black Shroud is beautiful and full of interesting landmarks. And the user interface is a major improvement. But otherwise it still plays like FFXIV 1.0. The quests are basically just non-repeatable guildleves. The repetitiveness of it might be tolerable if the combat was challenging and the story was interesting, but the battles are just mindlessly spamming the same two skills over and over, very few of the quests feature any story progression at all (yes, some cutscenes aren't implemented yet, but few of the quests have so much as a placeholder for a missing cutscene). Raids and endgame might be good, but I don't think I have the time or patience to sink countless hours into a game before it starts to become enjoyable.

I tried Guild Wars 2 when that launched and it bored me pretty quickly as well. I enjoyed FFXI years ago, but maybe this genre just isn't for me anymore.

Sora_N

Beta still crashes when I go to make a character. Will wait for PS3 version it seems.

Your firewall or peerblock off or set to allow the IPs? The game crashed when those IPs were blocked, I guess they didn't set up an error message yet.

Sadly, due to studying and since this game is weekend-only I will not be able to play that much...:( I enjoyed the hour or two I played though.

LowParry

I tried Guild Wars 2 when that launched and it bored me pretty quickly as well. I enjoyed FFXI years ago, but maybe this genre just isn't for me anymore.

I've learned the best way to play an MMO is to not beta test. At all. Even in open beta. Just go in fresh. Though in the case of FFXIV, I want to beta test this because I want the game to be successful.

B-Dex

Your firewall or peerblock off or set to allow the IPs? The game crashed when those IPs were blocked, I guess they didn't set up an error message yet.

Sadly, due to studying and since this game is weekend-only I will not be able to play that much...:( I enjoyed the hour or two I played though.

No it's an actual crash. Something to do with what it's trying to load. I get a bunch of dll errors. (It lists almost every dll associated with the game) I reported it in p1 still nothing has changed. I have all the latest drivers and everything.

It's funny that this beta won't load for me but 1.0 ran fine.

Sora_N

No it's an actual crash. Something to do with what it's trying to load. I get a bunch of dll errors. (It lists almost every dll associated with the game) I reported it in p1 still nothing has changed. I have all the latest drivers and everything.

It's funny that this beta won't load for me but 1.0 ran fine.

Ah damn :/

VariantX

Just got in and created my char. This game looks so good and runs pretty decent on my pc.

Char name is Altarion Edgesaint on Tonberry

Animekatt

I tried using my PS3 controller with the Scarlet Crush drivers. The game doesn't recognize it, even though my laptop does. It was plugged in before I started the game. I've used Motioninjoy before, but deleted that since it had a lot of ads. I was really looking forward to trying this out with a controller.

BLCKATK

Wow the new controller scheme is great!!

I've seem to forgotten where the Wandering Minstral is though... Have they moved him at all? I'd like to unlock Gladiator and give it a try.

Aquila

I finally got home and managed to make a character on Tonberry. My character name is Mordio Fel for the time being. Hopefully I manage to run into a couple of you guys.

360 controller works good so far, but it's still a bit awkward after using a mouse and keyboard for so long... might switch back.

Talents

Banned
Woo. It's finally installed on my computer. Couldn't participate in most of Phase 1 because as soon as I got my new computer the internet plummeted for some reason.

LowParry

Yeah the gamepad option is pretty damn good with a 360 controller. Though I'll be sticking with keyboard use. I'll probably do a few more test runs but I'm really holding out till Phase 3 :D

Aquila

Yeah. Looks like I'm not the only person with this issue. If you have a g13 or razer nostromo and a controller hooked up for now, just stay with the controller. Something's conflicting between those.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
So I'm level 12. This game has been super repetitive, standard MMO-fare. I still only have 2 attacks as a conjurer. Does it open up a bit more? Like all 6 of my quests are just "kill x things". Really not feeling it.

Qvoth

try and join a fate event?
and i think there's gonna be a dungeon once you're level 15, you will need a party for that
is there a friend list in this beta? wanna add you guys since ls/guild system isn't implemented yet
my nick is Qvoth Solsoul, add me up guys, lancer level 12-13 currently

So I'm level 12. This game has been super repetitive, standard MMO-fare. I still only have 2 attacks as a conjurer. Does it open up a bit more? Like all 6 of my quests are just "kill x things". Really not feeling it.

conjurer role is primarily healer. You really only get more powerful versions of your current spells in terms of elemental attacks. You'll get a knockback ability (fluid aura) from one of your class quests within 3 levels or so.

LowParry

Pretty early level standard with any MMO. Just gotta get them levels up.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Pretty early level standard with any MMO. Just gotta get them levels up.

I understand that, but I guess once I got levequests available and they're all just kill a bunch of things I've already killed, it really soured me. I'll keep playing until the end of the phase, but when they wipe chars, I have no desire for the next phase.

LowParry

I understand that, but I guess once I got levequests available and they're all just kill a bunch of things I've already killed, it really soured me. I'll keep playing until the end of the phase, but when they wipe chars, I have no desire for the next phase.

Well, there will be a pretty huge different between this phase and phase 3. I think you should take it easy with this phase since it's more for gamepad testing and see what phase 3 will offer for you.

The beta is not going to be representative of final product. Imo, it seems as if the beta is intentionally focused so you can try a wide variety of things and give feedback. I doubt content will be one of those issues. Btw, you can make it very far without doing any levequests. Looking at numbers vs time, they are probably the worst way to get your level up in the beta.

Qvoth

I think the hype is just too big, or you're expecting too much
Yes I know it is still beta, but I think arr won't differ too much from what we have now
Compared to 1.0 (went I left), the game's a lot more fun, with all the unexpected fate events and such
Might even be good enough for me to sub ff14 again, but I'll have to think about it 1st

Edit: if you're bored, try starting your crafting and gathering classes
I remember they were fun back in 1.0
Not sure how much is changed though, haven't started them in this beta yet

Jinko

This is standard for most MMO's, duno what you were expecting :S

Azrael

Did a Tam-Tara Deepcroft run last night, which was a lot more fun than the other content in the beta. Didn't win (we made it to the final boss with one minute left), but did get an Aetherial Brass Gladius and Aetherial Bronze Celata for Gladiator =).

One concern I have, with them pushing quest grinding as the basis for leveling, how is that going to work with the Armoury System and switching classes? Sure, you can move to a new city to level a second or third class, but at some point, you are going to run out of quests and be stuck grinding leves and FATEs to level multiple classes.

Talents

Banned

The only MMO I know of that doesn't have the standard "Go there" "Kill that" Get this" quests is Runescape.

ebil

Did a Tam-Tara Deepcroft run last night, which was a lot more fun than the other content in the beta. Didn't win (we made it to the final boss with one minute left), but did get an Aetherial Brass Gladius and Aetherial Bronze Celata for Gladiator =).

One concern I have, with them pushing quest grinding as the basis for leveling, how is that going to work with the Armoury System and switching classes? Sure, you can move to a new city to level a second or third class, but at some point, you are going to run out of quests and be stuck grinding leves and FATEs to level multiple classes.
That's a concern I have/had, too.
But between the Hunting Log, FATE, Guildhest, Guildleves and dungeons, there will be quite a few ways of levelling up your classes beyond the first three, I guess. What's important is them correctly balancing the XP rewards of each system (right now, battlecraft leves are severely lacking and some FATEs give ridiculous xp/hour since they're so easy to camp) so that levelling doesn't become a huge chore.
That's certainly something they will keep an eye on, and it can easily be adjusted even after release, though.

Jinko

They plan for us to use FATE and dungeons to level up I think, which is going to be repetitive but no more than the grind parties in 1.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom