• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

N.A

Banned
Doesn't seem like there is a way. Bunch of people suggested it in the forums during phase 1 though.

UI scaling is coming before launch i'm pretty sure Yoshi said somewhere.

Other UI notes:

Current chat box is temporary and is being rewritten for phase 3 with features like clicking on a name to send a tell, copy & paste and timestamps.
Press to toggle R2/L2 on/off coming.
Target circle coming so you can easily switch between targeting enemies/NPCs/party members etc.

LowParry

UI scaling is coming before launch i'm pretty sure Yoshi said somewhere.

Other UI notes:

Current chat box is temporary and is being rewritten for phase 3 with features like clicking on a name to send a tell, copy & paste and timestamps.
Press to toggle R2/L2 on/off coming.
Target circle coming so you can easily switch between targeting enemies/NPCs/party members etc.

It's like they want my money. :D

Victrix

*beard*
This game is wildly better than the original. Also plays great on a gamepad.

I'm not having a lot of fun though, hard to say if I'm just burnt on most mmo style gameplay or playing alone in beta without friends sucks too much.

Aquila

I wish that I had made an account in 1.0 for legacy and to notice the improvements now. You have to remember that phase 2 is only testing a few certain functions right now though; phase 3 and 4 should be closer to the actual release. I'll be online for a bit longer if anybody wants to group up.

I'm not having a lot of fun though, hard to say if I'm just burnt on most mmo style gameplay or playing alone in beta without friends sucks too much.

Could also be partially that you know that what you do now will be deleted in a couple weeks.

Teknoman

Could also be partially that you know that what you do now will be deleted in a couple weeks.

Its being without friends and the feeling that everything you do wont matter in the long run.

Im like that with any online beta. Once things start to matter, the community starts to tie together, and you get a linkshell going, you'll be ok.

Allard

Like "L3 = A..." wonky, or just wonky?

Anyway, no in-game option (they want to test the default control configuration), but supposedly there is a way with FFXIV.cfg (Gamepad Settings, Alias, I think).

The input settings seem a bit messed up when you have it selected to digital setting on XInput. I had it selected for digital on the XInput gamepad and it had several buttons reversed, then when I hit *mode button it reversed my D pad and Left Analog controls. Switched to Analog, and made sure Mode button to off and everything was as advertised.

Ravidrath

Like "L3 = A..." wonky, or just wonky?

Anyway, no in-game option (they want to test the default control configuration), but supposedly there is a way with FFXIV.cfg (Gamepad Settings, Alias, I think).

Like, the whole Hot Crossbuns or whatever it's called is based on the buttons in the UI matching those on your controller, and mine don't map.

My A is my Y and my B is my X, etc.

The input settings seem a bit messed up when you have it selected to digital setting on XInput. I had it selected for digital on the XInput gamepad and it had several buttons reversed, then when I hit *mode button it reversed my D pad and Left Analog controls. Switched to Analog, and made sure Mode button to off and everything was as advertised.

Huh, maybe this will fix my issue. I'll try it out.

Like, the whole Hot Crossbuns or whatever it's called is based on the buttons in the UI matching those on your controller, and mine don't map.

Huh, maybe this will fix my issue. I'll try it out.

That's weird. I'm playing with the wireless 360 controller and everything worked perfect, the only thing that was probably wrong was that /sit was mapped to the L3 instead of the active/passive mode.

Jinko

Yup I logged in tried out the controller and that was it, not burning myself out before its released.

Having my 1.0 character will be better, looking forward to the level capped content :D

For controller I used the DS3 with motionjoy and emulated 360 settings, worked fine.

The same happened to me. Also, for the right stick, vertical axis controlled the horizontal camera, an viceversa.
In my brother's laptop, however, the same controller worked just perfect :/

I tried lots of things, but at the end i gave up. I'll just wait for them to allow button mapping, or fixing the issue.

For controller I used the DS3 with motionjoy and emulated 360 settings, worked fine.

Damn, I should have tried this :( (at the end i just tried ds3 with motionjoy, but didn't try to emulate the xbox pad... genius U_U)

Ricker

and it's over
it was fun though for what it's worth

Yeah,damn I was sure I could play all day and it ended Monday at 5...oh well,I loved the controller set-up and I was just getting use to it...still not sure which one I will use though,didn't get to try healing with controller and stuff like that that may be faster with K/M...

Jinko

Yeah,damn I was sure I could play all day and it ended Monday at 5...oh well,I loved the controller set-up and I was just getting use to it...still not sure which one I will use though,didn't get to try healing with controller and stuff like that that may be faster with K/M...

Good thing with healing is that up and down target your party members which IMO is easier than mouse and keyboard at least until someone makes a click to heal addon.

Lucis

Target Party member is F button... that's the same as wow, not sure how raid heal will be, but I can't imagine playing with kb and m is harder than controller, if they want the majority of the MMO market.

Jinko

Target Party member is F button... that's the same as wow, not sure how raid heal will be, but I can't imagine playing with kb and m is harder than controller, if they want the majority of the MMO market.

Yea I don't find function keys very intuitive when healing especially when it comes to healing above 6 members.

In Wow if you want to be a good healer you will 9/10 want a healing addon.

Lucis

Yea I don't find function keys very intuitive when healing especially when it comes to healing above 6 members.

In Wow if you want to be a good healer you will 9/10 want a healing addon.

Only because wow's battle is much more "actiony" than FF
There's no way you can heal wow with a controller, so if they make the game playable with controller(and console), it's pretty much ensured no add on is needed for kb/mouse use case

Arksy

Ah, thanks. I haven't played since the second weekend due to a short vacation and an SSD failure.

Hoping it's coming along nicely!

Ashodin

I played it for a little bit, and I just couldn't get into it. The UI is great, the controller was fine, but the actual content was just stiff. The coolest moment was the FATE happening randomly in Central Shroud, but I can get that type of experience elsewhere (and feeling not tagging mobs is okay).

Arksy

I played it for a little bit, and I just couldn't get into it. The UI is great, the controller was fine, but the actual content was just stiff. The coolest moment was the FATE happening randomly in Central Shroud, but I can get that type of experience elsewhere (and feeling not tagging mobs is okay).

At the very least it's competent. This is a substantial leap forward from FFXIV vanilla.

Ashodin

At the very least it's competent. This is a substantial leap forward from FFXIV vanilla.

Oh no doubt. The combat didn't engage me very much however (but it was very flashy, I might add, which adds some excitement).

(go to sleep aussie!)

The game was growing on me the longer I played it, hopefully Phase 3 brings some good changes. Can't wait to get out of Gridania with its fugly ass giant tree-bushes.

Jijidasu

I'm hoping Phase 2 is only this past weekend, or at the very most next weekend too. Considering they're only really testing controller for it and they're quite confident with what's going to happen to it, so Phase 3 should really only be around the corner.

I'm hoping Phase 2 is only this past weekend, or at the very most next weekend too. Considering they're only really testing controller for it and they're quite confident with what's going to happen to it, so Phase 3 should really only be around the corner.

Same.

They didn't seem to have any server problems this time, despite adding another 50-60k players.

A few bugs have been found with the gamepad implementation, but it really does seem to me like they're ready to move on.

scosher

This was my first experience with FF14 2.0.

Not sure if the NDA only covers images and videos, so I'll just say this:

UI, world-design, and music has all the charm of an FF game.

The combat, however, is extremely lacking. I'd even say it's regressive in the genre. Along with the standard fare kill quests, it plays like an MMO from 2004. I'm hoping for some big improvements to their battle system in the next beta phase, or I can't see myself subbing to this.

The combat, however, is extremely lacking. I'd even say it's regressive in the genre. Along with the standard fare kill quests, it plays like an MMO from 2004. I'm hoping for some big improvements to their battle system in the next beta phase, or I can't see myself subbing to this.

Bad year to pick imo, since the combat seems worse then a certain mmo from 2004 for me. Will give it time though. Also if combat was the only thing that mattered to me I would still be playing Tera. MMORPGs need a reason to keep playing, and a lot can be forgiven if they have that.

LowParry

Phase 3, in theory, will probably start up mid-May and last until July is my prediction. Aug - Sept for open beta and release Oct - Nov.

So far it seems Wildstar is their competition this year unless ESO shows some progress of being a 2013 release.

Bad year to pick imo, since the combat seems worse then a certain mmo from 2004 for me. Will give it time though. Also if combat was the only thing that mattered to me I would still be playing Tera. MMORPGs need a reason to keep playing, and a lot can be forgiven if they have that.

Low level combat sucks on MMO's. In most of them at least. That said both FF XI and XIV combat always shined on parties and this is the same. Also we're lacking most classes and JOBS which adds new abilities and more defined roles.

Phase 3 will have a good chunk of the game content at release, i'd say is a better place to see what the game can truly offer.

Phase 3, in theory, will probably start up mid-May and last until July is my prediction. Aug - Sept for open beta and release Oct - Nov.

So far it seems Wildstar is their competition this year unless ESO shows some progress of being a 2013 release.

Phase 3 is 1-3 weeks like Phase 2, so in July we should have Phase 4. And Phase 3 and Phase 4 is open beta, Phase 4 only last 1-2 weeks and then game is launched. I'd say the game will be launched in Aug. (if everything goes fine)

And dosn't ESO closed beta starts in a few months? I'd say is an early 2014 launch.

LowParry

Phase 3 is 1-3 weeks like Phase 2, so in July we should have Phase 4. And Phase 3 and Phase 4 is open beta, Phase 4 only last 1-2 weeks and then game is launched. I'd say the game will be launched in Aug. (if everything goes fine)

And dosn't ESO closed beta starts in a few months? I'd say is an early 2014 launch.

It just seems all so quick from what I've gone through with past MMO beta tests. Though I suppose with FFXIV, they're going from a 1.0 to a 2.0 status. Either way, I'm really eager to get involved with Phase 3 and the crafting system. I think combat in the long run will be fine.

Qvoth

after actually playing the game... i'm still not sure where i stand on global cooldowns
it's definitely not bad, and it actually makes you choose which skills to use
to those complaining about the battle system, did you at least try out the 1st dungeon?

I feel like the combat is fine so far (I got to 25ish on gladiator and conjurer) but it definitely needs some adjustments to skills and the timing of receiving new skills.

I'll still play the game as it plays now, but I am really looking forward to seeing how things are in phase 3 before I make an actual judgement on how the game plays.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over the removal of the global cooldown in favor of individual cooldowns, but I'm willing to trust that Yoshi-P and the dev team know what they're doing.

LowParry

after actually playing the game... i'm still not sure where i stand on global cooldowns
it's definitely not bad, and it actually makes you choose which skills to use
to those complaining about the battle system, did you at least try out the 1st dungeon?

Access to the first 2 or 3 in fact.

Jinko

I am a fan of the new battle system, I will agree that it does need work and I don't doubt that they will be tuning the battle system even after launch.

I would say any good MMO will change things up every now again where the battle system is concerned anyway.

Credo

I am a fan of the new battle system, I will agree that it does need work and I don't doubt that they will be tuning the battle system even after launch.

I would say any good MMO will change things up every now again where the battle system is concerned anyway.

I haven't gotten to play that much of A Realm Reborn, but I've liked the combat system a lot. I'm sure critics would say that my lack of time spent with it is exactly why I still enjoy it, and I guess that could be the case. Still, I've loved just about everything that I've seen of the relaunch so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom