• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

notworksafe

Female "galka" look fantastic.

Yeah I just say Galka because I can't spell Roegadyn without looking it up. :p They did say we would be able to redo the look of our character, right?

I sorta want to make a new character to experience the new world from the start...

Hey folks. I played a good six hours of this a few days ago. I've written up a bit of a preview, and I've got an interview with Yoshida coming on RPGSite.net, and I've also got a more general feature/interview combo from the whole thing coming up at some point in the future on VG247.

Here's the preview: http://www.rpgsite.net/previews/431-handson-impressions-final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn

Important note: I'm a single player FF person, not much of an MMO person. Though I do have some experience in a few MMOs including FF11 and FF14 1.0 experience, I've never really been religious about a MMO. That's my perspective.

That said, if you want to ask things, shoot. I'll do my best to answer. If you have really specific questions for someone more FF14-minded, Kagari saw it too and will also have a preview and may well drop by here.

Darte

8212 on max settings 1920x1080p
Average framerate: 72.053

GTX680
i7-3930k OC to 4.0ghz

Meh good enough (considering I played XI at 15 fps for years) :p

Teknoman

Did pretty good with the female highlander and different male miqote versions too.

EDIT: PS3 framerate is jarring after playing the PC version even at alpha, but damn if Black Shroud isnt beautifully atmospheric now.

yeah.. ps3 frame rate is noticeably lower.. it probably would have displayed better if they hadn't had it shown right next to PC footage..

I was always going to play this on the PC, though..

Has Yoshida confirmed or elaborated on a possible PS4 port?

I remember him hinting at it not too far back, but it may still be too early to tell; they're all focused on beta and launch now I guess.

Allard

yeah.. ps3 frame rate is noticeably lower.. it probably would have displayed better if they hadn't had it shown right next to PC footage..

I was always going to play this on the PC, though..

They are still optimizing the PS3 version and we are still a couple months away from being able to actually play it so things can change (they said 75% optimized right now for Ps3 version in several of the previews), but yeah it does look a lot more 'rough' but aside from a key place it actually looks pretty playable... unfortunately the key place is Ul'Dah, the frame rate near the Hall of Flame was atrocious.

Also the new 'tour' of Eorzea movie made me actually want to pick Ul'Dah as an initial starting area for a new alt. The new Thanalan looks more thematically improved then Black Shroud will likely ever be, just the transformed Black Brush alone looks to have a pretty unique atmosphere and I can't wait to see if those train tracks will actually allow people to ride them around the area.

Animekatt

I'm still playing the game mostly on the PS3. The new videos of the landscapes got me ever more excited for this.

I'm going to make a Highlander female character for phase one, and the Roegadyn for two, and finally either the sun or moon cat for Okami in three and four.

Animekatt

Yep. Phases 1-3 are going to be wiped after they end, with 4 being the one where it carries over.

Phase 3 and on, you can use your character from 1.0.

Munba

From 4gamer interview:
これに関連して,αテストのマップ範囲のコリジョン(※いわゆる見えない壁)を全部外したので,行ける場所はかなり増えています。
For this one (beta), we removed all the invisible wall which was in alpha test, so you can go to a lot more places.

Thx to Reinheart.

Ainaurdur

I'm going to guess that our beta characters are wiped after beta, right?

Wiped for the first 3 Phases. In Phase 4, which is basically Open Beta, they will carry forward into the full game.

Edit: Beaten for my sluggish investigative skills. But I am still not certain on Phase 3. They will begin import of old character data then, but it seems unclear whether we will maintain any of that progress going into Phase 4.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thanks for the info guys! My new laptop comes tomorrow, so I'll probably be getting it setup with the beta. Are we allowed to like, setup a GAF group to hang with and Mumble chat with? Or is that breaking NDA?

Forbiden

What're you guys getting for scores on the Benchmark?

Score: 8288
Performance: Extremely High
With everything maxed @1080p

i5-2500K Sandy Bridge OC'd to 4.0GHZ
8GB Ram
570GTX

How the hell did you get a score that high with that set up? The set up I just ran the Benchmark on is pretty much the same as yours, and I'm getting like 2000 less on my score. For comparison, these are the settings I'm under:

i5 2500k, not 100% sure what the OC on this is but CPU-Z showed it peaking at 4533MHz
8GB Ram
GTX 570 1280MB w/ Core Clock OCed to 850 MHz

With that, I got:

Score:6361
Average Framerate:51.856
Performance:Very High

zRebellion

Neo Member
i5-3470 @ 3.6k (thanks to Turboboost)
8GB Ram
AMD 7850 OC'd to 1050 on the Core Clock

That setup got me this on max @ 1080p...

Score:5294
Average Framerate:42.731

Not too bad, I honestly expected worse.

ZetaEpyon

Curious, how many of you are using SSDs? I'm wondering if some of the variance in the scores on otherwise similar systems is possibly due to asset loading or something.

I do have the benchmark running from an SSD on my two runs.

Looks sooo good. Is probably the best looking MMO right now.

Score:3904
Average Framerate:31.387
Performance:High

Screen Size: 1920x1080
Graphics Presets: Custom

- It says custom but is Very High with Occlusion Culling enable. I should try later with some effect off because framerate dips quite often when things get hectic.

My Specs:

AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor @ 3.4Ghz
4GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6850

desu

Curious, how many of you are using SSDs? I'm wondering if some of the variance in the scores on otherwise similar systems is possibly due to asset loading or something.

I do have the benchmark running from an SSD on my two runs.

Doesn't seem to make a difference, just tried it on my SSD.

Cetra

How the hell did you get a score that high with that set up? The set up I just ran the Benchmark on is pretty much the same as yours, and I'm getting like 2000 less on my score. For comparison, these are the settings I'm under:

i5 2500k, not 100% sure what the OC on this is but CPU-Z showed it peaking at 4533MHz
8GB Ram
GTX 570 1280MB w/ Core Clock OCed to 850 MHz

With that, I got:

Score:6361
Average Framerate:51.856

Whats it showing on the score report for your Vram? It's showing 4GB for me.

Also running it from my SSD, if that makes any difference.

Salaadin

Seeing some people with i5-750s having issues makes me sad. I wont be upgrading until Haswell so Im stuck with mine for a bit.

Munba

From Massively:

Fishing, however, will not be retaining its previous functionality. I asked Yoshida whether fishing will have more tradeskills using its harvested items in the revamp, and he replied that the team actually went in the opposite direction by making fishing focus on the experience of fishing. If you like to fish, you can enjoy it as a hobby with its own merits rather than simply feeling it's necessary for a crafting class.

Unfortunately, this does mean that we can give up on the idea of fist weapons made from live sharks.

This intrigues me a lot. A decent mini-game finally? :0

Forbiden

Whats it showing on the score report for your Vram? It's showing 4GB for me.

Also running it from my SSD, if that makes any difference.

It's showing 4GB VRAM, which is weird...I think it's shown that for other people. I found it really odd that it showed that number given that I know that the GPU only has 1280MB of VRAM.

Either way, I was running the game off the HDD and the plan would be to have it running on the SSDs of my computers, so I'll running it off the SSD later and see what happens

desu

Maybe it's a driver thing? My system actually shows me having 4gb on my 670GTX as well which really confused me. Will updated drivers and restart my pc (which I only do all couple of weeks xD).

Cetra

It's showing 4GB VRAM, which is weird...I think it's shown that for other people. I found it really odd that it showed that number given that I know that the GPU only has 1280MB of VRAM.

Either way, I was running the game off the HDD and the plan would be to have it running on the SSDs of my computers, so I'll running it off the SSD later and see what happens

Yeah I was asking just to see.. my 570 is a 1208MB card too. Thats pretty bizarre thats it "reading" 4gb. My nVidia Drivers are ver 314.07, just updated yesterday.

Maybe it's a driver thing? My system actually shows me having 4gb on my 670GTX as well which really confused me. Will updated drivers and restart my pc (which I only do all couple of weeks xD).

Is showing me that I have 2GB of VRAM when I have only 1GB...so I think whatever they're using to detect the system specs is borked...

(I'm using AMD so I don't think is just a nVidea problem)

FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Official Benchmark (Exploration)
Tested on:2/21/2013 12:49:49 PM
Score:5466
Average Framerate:44.952
-Easily capable of running the game. Should perform exceptionally well, even at higher resolutions.
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
8163.344MB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 (VRAM 4049 MB)
Screen Size: 1920x1080
Graphics Presets: Maximum

that looked very sooth for a MMO. what kind of fps dive will it take when running online?

Allard

Did you notice the lalafell bard playing the harp in Limsa ?

Looks like instruments might be coming back.

Yoshida mentioned in a previous interview that Bards will get an 'animation' of pulling out an instrument for different songs but there is actually no equipment related to it, just an animation. Can't remember for sure but I think they even talked about having a different instrument animation for each different song.

Speaking of things 'noticed' anyone notice the ginormous Adamantoise during the Exploration/benchmark during the second to last part of the benchmark? Think its around 3:00 into the video. I wonder how much of that was just a benchmark only thing or if we are really expected to see mobs get that huge in the open world, because I imagine there is going to be some clipping issues with that Adamantoise lol.

Jinko

Speaking of things 'noticed' anyone notice the ginormous Adamantoise during the Exploration/benchmark during the second to last part of the benchmark? Think its around 3:00 into the video. I wonder how much of that was just a benchmark only thing or if we are really expected to see mobs get that huge in the open world, because I imagine there is going to be some clipping issues with that Adamantoise lol.

LMAO I didn't even see it, it's like the size of a sanctuary.

bardia

Ran the benchmark with max settings @ 1080p:

FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Official Benchmark (Exploration)
Score:8293
Average Framerate:71.823
Performance:Extremely High
-Easily capable of running the game on the highest settings.

i5 3570K
GTX 670
8GB ram

Akuosa

I know PS3 version looks worse (well, obviously), but considering what they had to work with, I'm really amazed at how good it looks. It's PS3, people, let's not forget...

Munba

Ahah also i didn't notice the gigantic adamantoise °.° It would be awesome to see some of these huge creatures traveling the world sometimes lol.

I know PS3 version looks worse (well, obviously), but considering what they had to work with, I'm really amazed at how good it looks. It's PS3, people, let's not forget...

Is a remarkable effort but seeing it action one has to wonder why the effort at all? It's performing quite bad with at points at 15fps or less. At this point they should have jumped to PS4.

Holy Shit...IS BIG. Imagine that on the PS3 as a FATE with dozens of people attacking it, I expect single digits fps.

vissione

Banned
benchscore.png

Average Framerate:47.325
benchmark720.png

Average Framerate:75.817

i7-2600k (stock)
8GB RAM
XFX AMD 7950 3GB

Xux

Did anyone notice the stats above the party list in the gamepad video ?

Wonder if this is the party buff system they were hinting at on the Alpha forums.
That's pretty neat. Makes sense that a GLD, MRD, ARC team would get VIT and DEX.
Is there any way for people using Comcast to know if they're in the beta or not?
If you're legacy, you can do the stuff described here to get their customer service to send you your code:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...-having-Legacy?p=970093&viewfull=1#post970093

Jijidasu

Seems to be some voodoo going on with this benchmark. A guy on the OF:
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 Black Edition 1090T 3.2GHz
Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 1600MHz HyperX Genesis
Graphics: Palit GTX 460 SONIC 2GB GDDR5

He got 10,000+ on Maximum at 1080p.

I have a 2500k running at 5.0ghz, Asus 580 DCU2 (950/1900/2220), 8gb 1600mhz ram and I barely broke 9k.

Wonder why that happened.

Ravidrath

Benchmark is so damned pretty.

Anyway, with most everything maxed, I ended up with 2500-something, or "Fairly High."

With everything completely maxed out, I ended up with 1800-something, or "Slightly Low."

This on a 2-year-old laptop, though, so hardly terrible.

Seems to be some voodoo going on with this benchmark. A guy on the OF:
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 Black Edition 1090T 3.2GHz
Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 1600MHz HyperX Genesis
Graphics: Palit GTX 460 SONIC 2GB GDDR5

He got 10,000+ on Maximum at 1080p.

I have a 2500k running at 5.0ghz, Asus 580 DCU2 (950/1900/2220), 8gb 1600mhz ram and I barely broke 9k.

Wonder why that happened.

If the benchmark really does run in a way that's strangely CPU-tied(as in, not to pure efficiency but rather in a weird way), the 1090T is a hex-core processor, so that might have played into it.

EDIT: Nevermind, checked out some of the benchmark spreadsheets. Guy must be using voodoo, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom