• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Askani

Aww. Just actually paid attention to the time. So the BETA times: Apr. 12th 2:00 a.m. to Apr. 14th 2:00 a.m. (PDT) / Apr. 12th 9:00 to Apr. 14th 9:00 (GMT)

Does that really mean 9 in the morning on Sunday it ends? That stinks. That was my one free day to play as much as I wanted. That's like 7 my time.

Aww. Just actually paid attention to the time. So the BETA times: Apr. 12th 2:00 a.m. to Apr. 14th 2:00 a.m. (PDT) / Apr. 12th 9:00 to Apr. 14th 9:00 (GMT)

Does that really mean 9 in the morning on Sunday it ends? That stinks. That was my one free day to play as much as I wanted. That's like 7 my time.

yep, that's what it means.

Their server team will be monitoring the server during the test.. and it ends at about 6pm JST

ebil

So, the Beta stuff goes live tomorrow? Is it just a server test? That's a small period to test things...
Beta has been going on for weeks, even though phase 2 (which purpose is to test gamepad) only started last week. There is little content and levelling is accelerated anyway, so you'll have enough time to test stuff.

So, the Beta stuff goes live tomorrow? Is it just a server test? That's a small period to test things...

Beta has been going on since February 25th. So far in phase 2 the testing windows have been smaller.

The true purpose of phase 2 seems to be testing the gamepad UI and server stability under load. By limiting the playtime to a small window, they get higher concurrent numbers and they can have their server team monitoring the servers during the test.

Phase 3 (probably in a month or so) will be the content test, so I'd expect them have the servers open longer at that point.

Aeana

I'm really surprised at how well it runs on the default settings, which ended up being the highest sans anisotropic filtering. Much better than 1.0 did on the exact same system.

Gotta say that as nice as it feels with a gamepad, the UI still feels designed for KB/M. It's nice that you can use the mouse to interact any time you want, though, if you feel the need to, even with it set to gamepad.

LowParry

Here's hoping for a bit more optimization with the game. :D Game looks and runs great already but hey, a bit more muscle put into it doesn't hurt either. Now, give me Phase 3 already!

Aeana

I was surprised that I kept really good performance even with sooo many players. I didn't read the NDA yet so I'll definitely keep quiet about other things I'm thinking about the game, but I'm definitely impressed.

Stuart444

I forgot all about Todays test, I thought it was tomorrow for some reason. Ah well, might try and get some time in later tonight/tomorrow.

ShdwDrake

Banned
Played for like 3 hrs (2 1/2 in windowed mode). I like the way the game plays but I dunno about how I feel about how it works. Like everyone is just going around just killing everything and sometimes even if you help it doesnt register that you killed it as well for like a quest.

Its kinda disorienting after playing so much GW2. Where everyone in the area was playing together this feels more hectic(?) i dont know if thats the right word. I can't see people wanting to pay a monthly fee for this tho.

N.A

Banned
Played for like 3 hrs (2 1/2 in windowed mode). I like the way the game plays but I dunno about how I feel about how it works. Like everyone is just going around just killing everything and sometimes even if you help it doesnt register that you killed it as well for like a quest.

Its kinda disorienting after playing so much GW2. Where everyone in the area was playing together this feels more hectic(?) i dont know if thats the right word. I can't see people wanting to pay a monthly fee for this tho.

You only get credit on mobs if you deal a certain % of overall damage (I've found it's usually 2 weapon skills worth). You should try the FATEs if you want content more like GW2.

ebil

You should definitely check the dev tracker on the Beta Forums (I seriously recommend everyone to check it regularly as the dev team posts quite a bit). Yoshida recently went on a posting spree regarding some of the stuff you're mentioning, and how they're planning changes for subsequent phases (phase 3 will see a lot of changes based on the feedback they've received since Alpha).

VariantX

You only get credit on mobs if you deal a certain % of overall damage (I've found it's usually 2 weapon skills worth). You should try the FATEs if you want content more like GW2.

Those FATE things felt like a complete waste of time for me simply because everything gets killed before you can even get near it by other players. I guess that's just a result of the player population being so close together.

N.A

Banned
Those FATE things felt like a complete waste of time for me simply because everything gets killed before you can even get near it by other players. I guess that's just a result of the player population being so close together.

Yeah, everything will improve once all 3 starting locations are implemented in phase 3 and after the initial rush.

Some of the higher level FATEs are much more interesting too, there is one where you must storm a bandit base and then if you are successful a new FATE pops where you must defend that base from a counterattack. They have also said Hamlet Defence from 1.0 and many other types of FATE are coming.

the UI still feels designed for KB/M.

The full controller UI is coming in phase 3. It'll have a menu broken up XMB style with categories :)

Similar to this officially released UI screenshot -

ffxiv_5_thumb_zpsa3390ba2.png

Jinko

The full controller UI is coming in phase 3. It'll have a menu broken up XMB style with categories :)

ffxiv_5_thumb_zpsa3390ba2.png

Are you sure PC is getting that controller UI ?

I was under the assumption that is PS3 only.

Yea a lot of people have complained about this, I feel the same way.

They basically said that they plan to scale monsters depending on the amount of players partaking and that the low level stuff won't be hard due to learning curve, later of it should be more challenging and there will be a much wider variety of FATE style contents.

akaoni

Banned

Seems probable? PS3 will also have the PC layout for mouse+keyboard support and vice versa is what I would assume, unless they've said otherwise.

Qvoth

yeah, basically you should stand near where the monsters spawn and get 1-2 skills, usually they spawn from a single spot

Aeana

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/Robobandit/ffxiv_5_thumb_zpsa3390ba2.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
I see. Well, that would be a nice step forward.

I'm pretty sure it will be available for all controller users. I remember them saying phase 2 didn't have all of the gamepad stuff implemented yet.

I may be wrong, but it would make sense for them to make it available for all controller users , particularly those who don't want to use a mouse.

Aeana

It really evokes nostalgia of FF11 at launch for me now, whereas 1.0 didn't really. So that's a really nice sign. Similar feeling, with with more modernized UI and mechanics. I need to try out different jobs still.

Jinko

I'm pretty sure it will be available for all controller users. I remember them saying phase 2 didn't have all of the gamepad stuff implemented yet.

I may be wrong, but it would make sense for them to make it available for all controller users , particularly those who don't want to use a mouse.

Cool, I would be inclined to use that UI with a mouse TBH, if it worked well, I think it looks quite ehh nifty.

Cool, I would be inclined to use that UI with a mouse TBH, if it worked well, I think it looks quite ehh nifty.

People also said they wanted the option to use the keyboard only with the controller UI (weird mouse hate... I guess FF XI keyboard lovers..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom