• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebil

People also said they wanted the option to use the keyboard only with the controller UI (weird mouse hate... I guess FF XI keyboard lovers..)
Yeah, my LS leader has been complaining/hating on mouse controls since Alpha. She coincidentally never played an MMO besides FF11/14 and isn't really willing to learn. But I guess more options are always welcome, especially if they're not that difficult to implement.

Allard

Yeah, my LS leader has been complaining/hating on mouse controls since Alpha. She coincidentally never played an MMO besides FF11/14 and isn't really willing to learn. But I guess more options are always welcome, especially if they're not that difficult to implement.

I'd imagine a good part of it is that keyboard + Mouse is not exactly relaxing. Its easier to take a keyboard on to a couch and play a game on a bigger screen if you don't need to worry about using a mouse for essential needs. 1 central device for controlling > two separate devices for controlling any day of the week, I like playing on my big screen and hate needing constantly lean forward just to play a game because of the mouse :(. Although having said that my preferred controller setting is through gamepad and even in a game like FFXI (and likely FFXIV when its all done) you will still need to use a keyboard of some kind if nothing but to write new macros and chatting.

I'd imagine a good part of it is that keyboard + Mouse is not exactly relaxing. Its easier to take a keyboard on to a couch and play a game on a bigger screen if you don't need to worry about using a mouse for essential needs. 1 central device for controlling > two separate devices for controlling any day of the week, I like playing on my big screen and hate needing constantly lean forward just to play a game because of the mouse :(. Although having said that my preferred controller setting is through gamepad and even in a game like FFXI (and likely FFXIV when its all done) you will still need to use a keyboard of some kind if nothing but to write new macros and chatting.

I did think it was kind of weird until I thought back on how I used to play XI----seven years ago on PS2. I kept the keyboard by the bed in case I absolutely needed to type something.

Wark

I'm glad they are taking a more standardized approach with the keyboard and mouse setup; it certainly is an improvement over the past keyboard layout. I primarily played XI and XIV with a controller, but last week I found myself mostly playing with the keyboard and mouse.

I think I'm going to try out the G13 I purchased a couple days ago. Anybody else try playing with with a G13?

ebil

I haven't been able to try out gamepad for ARR yet, nor will I be able to play during phase 2 at all, but it certainly was my preferred control setting in XIV and XI for that matter (I used to play it with KB but once I tried out gamepad control I never looked back). Gamepad really is relaxing, but as you said, you still have to put it down to use the chat function, which I don't like too much.
That being said, I really like KB/M for ARR, it's very efficient with my new MMO mouse + custom keybinds (and MMO mice tend to be very comfortable as well).
I'll still have to try gamepad out before making a decision, I've read almost nothing but positive impressions about its implementation
which might or might not be related to me avoiding the Beta Forums General Discussion like plague

What's the difference?
Legacy setting makes it so the camera is just like V1: when you press the S key, your character will run towards the screen, not backpedal.

I'm using the gamepad control and it works well for combat. If they work in the console UI, it'll be great.

I prefer gamepads anyway. I work with computers all day. I want to game on the couch when I get home. I even use one for GW2.

Wark

What's the difference?
Standard bases the camera movement around the direction the character is moving; so if you press "A" then the camera moves left and if you press "D" the camera moves right. The legacy settings just move the character around without affecting the camera.

Aeana

Oh. Definitely wouldn't like legacy at all. The default keyboard controls in 2.0 are wonderfully familiar from other games, so I'd stick with that whenever I'm not using a gamepad.

Jinko

I play on a HDTV with keyboard and mouse and its fairly comfy, really depends on your set up I suppose.

Generally speaking though those people who won't even give keyboard and mouse a chance or want to learn how to use them are the same old school FF11 players who aren't willing to give anything different a chance.

:O This is different .. Don't WANT !

Performance is kind of shitty, I have a GTX580 and a i7 2600k 3,4 Ghz. And the game itself just looks, bad. Maybe it's because everyone is in one area. But I read someone with a Titan had issues as well. Hmm.

Oh. Definitely wouldn't like legacy at all. The default keyboard controls in 2.0 are wonderfully familiar from other games, so I'd stick with that whenever I'm not using a gamepad.

Same. Honestly have been puzzled at all the people who rave about legacy controls, but different stokes for different folks I guess.

Only thing that I would like changed about normal controls is a way to change if you backpedal or turn and run on the fly. Like holding down left mouse button when holding back would make you turn and run since you are just locking the camera to that position, while doing it without the mouse button held would backpedal.

Performance is kind of shitty, I have a GTX580 and a i7 2600k 3,4 Ghz. And the game itself just looks, bad. Maybe it's because everyone is in one area. But I read someone with a Titan had issues as well. Hmm.

Runs decent enough at 1080p/high setting on my ole 5770

This is my first MMO and im so overwhelmed right now. Wish I had someone to guide me along

Lucis

I wish there is a function/option that can put mouseover tool tip where your freaking mouse is instead of a set location ><
and freaking selling shit needs to be easier

MedIC86

So, i got an invite, i used it on my account and everything. But when i try to log into the forums (with that account) it says ID or password incorrect (used to same password to get into my normal squeenix account were i entered the beta key) what gives?

edit nvm had to use my id not my email adress confusing ;X

Okay, how do you put this stuff in fullscreen? ):

Hit "K" (or click the bottom right Micro menu circle)

and go to "Display" you can set resolution and full screen vs windowed there.

They are going to add this configuration to the title screen later on based on feedback.

For now, you can't change the settings until you've done the "intro" quest before it puts you into the world with the rest of the players.

burgerdog

Legacy controls somehow turned on last weekend and I was hating the game. I can't wrap my head around people actually liking that control set up. Still, it's nice to see that it's still there for people, options are the best.

Legacy controls somehow turned on last weekend and I was hating the game. I can't wrap my head around people actually liking that control set up. Still, it's nice to see that it's still there for people, options are the best.

It depends on what you're used to. A number of other games have your character move independently of the camera. I agree, though.. options are awesome.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
People are playing on Tonberry? Weak. I made a character on Ultros.

Looking to play a whole bunch this weekend. Totally enjoying the game so far (far more than FFXIV)

Have a gtx 580 and a i7 2600k 3,4 ghz and the game runs kind of shitty, especially when people are around. Kinda reminds me of the GW2 beta. Hope the performance improves.

Can't really enjoy it like this.

Jijidasu

Definitely depends on what you're used to. I didn't like the default settings as it reminded me of what every other MMO feels like (which isn't a bad thing - it's just not what I like, being a controller user in the first place). Legacy method is pretty important for playing with a controller if you don't want to be strafing everywhere.

Aeana

Definitely depends on what you're used to. I didn't like the default settings as it reminded me of what every other MMO feels like (which isn't a bad thing - it's just not what I like, being a controller user in the first place). Legacy method is pretty important for playing with a controller if you don't want to be strafing everywhere.
Right, and it auto switches to legacy in controller mode, which is fine. But it's a different ballgame with the keyboard.

LowParry

I like the Legacy controls for Kb/m. Especially for tanking because I'm not forced into a slow back petal when I need to readjust the mob I'm tanking into a different position that won't blow up my pt.

Ricker

You have to get use to the damn shadows...I think they went a bit overboard with them,like for the trees and leaves all around,when it's sunny,there is too many small spots on the ground due to the way they reflect from all the leaves and the like,it makes it look jaggy lol...but otherwise I think it looks great and I only have a 560 Ti...maybe you dont like the art style...?

Is Tonberry full? Made a character on the Cactuar server, would like to be with the other GAFers. I'll remake her and list her name here when I get home from work.

How long is the test open for this weekend? Just got my beta account activated and downloaded the client 2 days ago, I think it starts today right? Can't wait to get home and play

How long is the test open for this weekend? Just got my beta account activated and downloaded the client 2 days ago, I think it starts today right? Can't wait to get home and play

Started last night and will stop early Sunday morning.

April 12, 2013 (Friday), 2:00 a.m. to April 14, 2013 (Sunday), 2:00 a.m. (PDT)
April 12, 2013 (Friday), 9:00 a.m. to April 14, 2013 (Sunday), 9:00 a.m. (GMT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom