• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebil

I posted on the other forums and got completely bashed for it.

Anyway, that'll be the last time I go out of my way to provide information to the masses.

The reason for the delay is because of the PS3, yes. You need to consider that they're putting out a beta test in 4 different languages across how many regions, and in each of those regions are different ratings/censorship policies which need to be abided by and the software put through all the required paperwork. Then it can be distributed through PSN.

Watching again, he said 6月上旬、which is the first 10 days of the month.
Heh, you'll be bashed on the OF and beta forums, that's just the way these guys work. Thanks for the info over here!
PS3 certifications can be long, that's not unheard of, and not surprising.
But I still feel it's a convenient way for them to 'buy time' and polish their beta more. I just hope there won't be another information drought during the downtime.

desu

Wow, June for Beta3 ... now I am not sure when we will see the game at all.

If the PSN beta is holding back everything this much already then I don't want to imagine the time it takes for retail certification/pressing/shipping (no clue if there are additional steps for the retail certification process).

Since we still have two phases ahead, together with bugfixing time in between and final retail stuff after that, I just don't expect to see the final version before August/September unless they speed up everything a lot, kind of a bummer but at least no release in the E3 timeframe for sure.

Jijidasu

I can't read Russian but yes, Yoshida said around E3 there'll be media for Arcanist and so on. I suppose P3 will be around the same time as E3 this year, too.

Jinko

I'm with ebil on this I suspect this is just an excuse to gain more time for phase 3 without saying "We are running behind schedule", doesn't bother me in the slightest the more time they take the better IMO.

Seems my End of August/September for launch guess was right after all. lol

Exentryk

Yeah, late August does seem like it. Hopefully it's all out before Sept, so TGS can concentrate on other titles like Versus XIII
BS6Ru.gif

Wow. Shitty news.

The PS3 certification sounds plausible although they should let PC players play it if that was the case. I'd say they were barely meeting deadlines and now PS3 certification bite them in the ass, since is something it requires time and sure they already know this.

Ravidrath

Wow, June for phase 3? I guess it's not too surprising.

Not only do they need time for the PS3 version, they also have a LOT of new content they need to polish up in the level the Phase 2 content is at.

They'll take as long as they need, whether I complain about it or not.

Did I want to run around in Limsa in a couple weeks? Sure I did.

Will I still care about doing that in 6 weeks? Yep.

Robin64

I thought "Hey, I'll try the Exploration benchmark". I hit Start, a window appears then closes. Hooray for PC gaming.

I'm okay with the wait. If it means polish for the game, so be it.

The problem for me is that they didn't say anything about polish or feedback. Is just a problem with PS3 certification. Right now sounds like we're getting the same thing that we were supossed to get in 2 weeks....

desu

The problem for me is that they didn't say anything about polish or feedback. Is just a problem with PS3 certification. Right now sounds like we're getting the same thing that we were supossed to get in 2 weeks....

Well they are simply behind schedule. They clearly know certification times and they simply didn't get it done soon enough to finish it on schedule. Imho it's just an easy excuse to even get the game done at all, doubt the game would have been ready according to their schedule even without PS3 certification.

Well they are simply behind schedule. They clearly know certification times and they simply didn't get it done soon enough to finish it on schedule. Imho it's just an easy excuse to even get the game done at all, doubt the game would have been ready according to their schedule even without PS3 certification.

Well, I wonder why they didn't say so. They already said a few times they were behind schedule without anyproblem...why not now?.

I don't know, seems fishy. I'd rather they said they are behind schedule and that they're taking their time to bring a good product than rather placing the blame on sony incompetence....

Ravidrath

I don't know, seems fishy. I'd rather they said they are behind schedule and that they're taking their time to bring a good product than rather placing the blame on sony incompetence....

It's possible that they're still on schedule for release but just behind on the beta stuff.

As probably the only person in this thread that has had direct experience working with Soy first party, I can totally see setting up a PS3 beta being a fairly involved process, between submission and getting it all to work.

There aren't that many PS3 betas and they all have unique requirements, meaning that's a lot of stuff that has to be worked out bureaucratically on a case-by-case basis.

Also, am I misremembering, or are they mailing PS3 beta installation discs out?

Jijidasu

Oh well. My guess (if they are actually keeping it within the first 10 days of June) is the 7th JST.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn_fra0DWfs

For those that missed it yesterday: From 20:00 - This is the theme for Ramuh (This is guesswork because later in the day Yoshida mentioned something like "Ramuh? Oh but we put something out for that earlier..")

I get crazy Zelda OOT vibes from the song. The forest?

It's possible that they're still on schedule for release but just behind on the beta stuff.

As probably the only person in this thread that has had direct experience working with Soy first party, I can totally see setting up a PS3 beta being a fairly involved process, between submission and getting it all to work.

There aren't that many PS3 betas and they all have unique requirements, meaning that's a lot of stuff that has to be worked out bureaucratically on a case-by-case basis.

Also, am I misremembering, or are they mailing PS3 beta installation discs out?

Sure is download (like Dust 512)

I wonder if they accounted it on the original schedule but they didn't think it would give them that much problem or is something they didn't think of.

Oh well. It's just one month....

Oh well. My guess (if they are actually keeping it within the first 10 days of June) is the 7th JST.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn_fra0DWfs

For those that missed it yesterday: From 20:00 - This is the theme for Ramuh (This is guesswork because later in the day Yoshida mentioned something like "Ramuh? Oh but we put something out for that earlier..")

I get crazy Zelda OOT vibes from the song. The forest?

Sounds

88888888888888888888888888888888888888 wwwwwww

pretty 8888888888888888888888888888888888888888

888888888888888888888 wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

cool

Jijidasu

88888888 means clapping on niconico.

Pretty sure they're damn well near finished the client. They've got the double master ready now and are dealing with all the red-tape that comes with shipping.

They said there's going to be an exceptionally large patch on day one so, they're probably pushing to get all the extra things like housing and so on that were expected to come later in on launch day.

Jijidasu

I should probably just write out a huge post of stuff from the events yesterday but I'm remembering stuff randomly so another thing I just remembered. Tanaka Rie asked Yoshida a bunch of hot questions about the game, one that got my attention was she asked how Darklight compares in ARR - it's basically required to fight Primals as in, the bare minimum. Relics are bare-minimum for Crystal Tower and the gear from Crystal Tower is a requisite for Bahamut's Labyrinth. Relic upgrade system is coming, as promised. Tanaka Rie has more relics than I do.

The UI you know from screenshots and movies of the Alpha and Beta is no more as of P3. If you're in the beta it might be nice to send a thank you/ganbare message to Minagawa-san, the UI lead. He felt crushed at the pressure but managed to work it out (apparently works longer hours than Yoshida lately (Yoshi-P sleeps at 3:30-4AM on average).

Ravidrath

Pretty sure they're damn well near finished the client. They've got the double master ready now and are dealing with all the red-tape that comes with shipping.

Yeah, I would imagine that part of the PS3 / Phase 3 delay is that they have to do all the final/submission TRC checks NOW instead of right before release, as it works for normal projects.

Aeana

The UI you know from screenshots and movies of the Alpha and Beta is no more as of P3. If you're in the beta it might be nice to send a thank you/ganbare message to Minagawa-san, the UI lead. He felt crushed at the pressure but managed to work it out (apparently works longer hours than Yoshida lately (Yoshi-P sleeps at 3:30-4AM on average).

They're changing the entire UI again?

Jijidasu

They're changing the entire UI again?

Apparently so. They've talked about the chat box and armoury system being big influences in the recent interviews/live letter. I imagine that only some parts will change.

The controller interface was more than satisfactory (given some more tuning it'll be perfect) so I doubt they'll change the visual element for that.

Riposte

The endgame sounds grindy as hell. That more or less ensures I don't take it very seriously. For my benefit maybe they won't lock major plot points behind it.

vissione

Banned
I should probably just write out a huge post of stuff from the events yesterday but I'm remembering stuff randomly so another thing I just remembered. Tanaka Rie asked Yoshida a bunch of hot questions about the game, one that got my attention was she asked how Darklight compares in ARR - it's basically required to fight Primals as in, the bare minimum. Relics are bare-minimum for Crystal Tower and the gear from Crystal Tower is a requisite for Bahamut's Labyrinth. Relic upgrade system is coming, as promised. Tanaka Rie has more relics than I do.

I wonder where Grand Company Lieutenant weapons (25,000 seals) fall under. If they're not good enough to fight primals or even scratch the mobs in the Crystal Tower, then what purpose do they have other than for show?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
June for Phase 3? Welp, guess I won't be able to play then. That's unfortunate. I was enjoying it.

Qvoth

wat
tanaka rie plays this game? sounds like pretty hardcore too?
i think i remember hearing she voices one of the female miqote voices or something

Aeana

I can understand the delay. Most likely, they really want to get all of the suggestions in place so they can take advantage of the phase 3 testing period, because phase 4 will be an open beta and those are much more difficult to collect focused testing reports from.

desu

Tanaka Rie asked Yoshida a bunch of hot questions about the game, one that got my attention was she asked how Darklight compares in ARR - it's basically required to fight Primals as in, the bare minimum. Relics are bare-minimum for Crystal Tower and the gear from Crystal Tower is a requisite for Bahamut's Labyrinth. Relic upgrade system is coming, as promised. Tanaka Rie has more relics than I do.

I know that we barely know anything about that content. But well either they gonna dumb down a lot of content of extremly hard to get things like Dark Light and Relics (which only a super low % of people had) because it's mandatory for that much content or lots of people will have no chance to play it all. Also I mean I guess I shouldn't put too much weight into that statement but that makes it sound like melded gear is essentially worthless but I guess we have to wait to see how strong melded stuff will be compared to Dark Light/Relics.

But getting Dark Light and Relics in 1.x was a pain in the ass and essentially took months and making this content mandatory for dungeons ...

Allard

I know that we barely know anything about that content. But well either they gonna dumb down a lot of content of extremly hard to get things like Dark Light and Relics (which only a super low % of people had) because it's mandatory for that much content or lots of people will have no chance to play it all. Also I mean I guess I shouldn't put too much weight into that statement but that makes it sound like melded gear is essentially worthless but I guess we have to wait to see how strong melded stuff will be compared to Dark Light/Relics.

But getting Dark Light and Relics in 1.x was a pain in the ass and essentially took months and making this content mandatory for dungeons ...

Yoshida mentioned on the recent live letter that crafters are going to get new recipes for participating/winning the new raids which will produce equipment on par or at least near the required threshold to enter the raids so in the future it will be possible prepare yourself for a dungeon purely on the back of crafters who have already finished the dungeon, and materia melding will allow that gear to be more specialized for a given scenario. Also the drop rates in Cutters is bound to change since the new drop system for dungeons is supposed to be based on something closer to WoW raid finder lock out where lotting gear bars you from lotting on other new gear for a period of time (unless this changed) which means I'm sure their will be decent drop on gear not to mention more token systems that are supposed to be coming.

Jinko

I wouldn't take the need for relic to fight crystal towers monsters too seriously, you could probably get away with triple melded gear/primal weapons as well I reckon unless there is some form of strict gear check.

Darklight wasn't even that good IMO, except the tanking stuff.

ebil

From Stanislaw's translation of the Niconico event:
- Any interesting episodes you can tell us about the foreign (EN/FR/DE) playerbase? > Quite a number of them are against regional servers, and there are also a lot of people who play as Lalafel
I must say I'm a bit surprised by this (as the lag induced by JP servers during V1.x was insufferable to some of us) but I can't really blame them after seeing how much fail was the Ragnarok experiment.

Edit: well actually, after reading the French Beta forums, I understand better where this statement came from. -_-

Jijidasu

I have a couple of friends who live abroad (US/EU) who can communicate in Japanese and they're absolutely against playing on EN servers, I don't blame them though. And while FFXI/XIV players are generally more approachable, I have an awful feeling that when ARR launches the insufferable mass of people from the forums will join in one place.. and ugh.

Since I learned the language I've played almost exclusively with Japanese players - this isn't by prejudice towards English speakers by any term, it's mostly because of the time-zone issue but I've certainly come to appreciate the give-and-take social system, manners and the courtesy you give and receive back. It's something to behold and I think a lot of players could learn a lot from it (This doesn't mean I've not had unpleasant experiences playing with Japanese players, just that those experiences are so unusually rare that they're really not worth mentioning).

ebil

I have a couple of friends who live abroad (US/EU) who can communicate in Japanese and they're absolutely against playing on EN servers, I don't blame them though. And while FFXI/XIV players are generally more approachable, I have an awful feeling that when ARR launches the insufferable mass of people from the forums will join in one place.. and ugh.
Err you know, that actually would be a good thing in my book as long as I know which server they're on. I would even make the suggestion to gather an OF server on the OF, so that we can keep them all in one place,
lock it down and throw away the key

They could call the server Chocolina or whatever.

Jijidasu

Err you know, that actually would be a good thing in my book as long as I know which server they're on. I would even make the suggestion to gather an OF server on the OF, so that we can keep them all in one place,
lock it and throw away the key

They could call the server Chocolina or whatever.

The thing is, it's not just 'them', as in a small isolated group - it's nearly bloody everyone haha.

Would be nice if there could be some system to put all those insufferable people in one place, sadly it'll never happen.

Jinko

Things is though that people act differently on the forums than they do in game.

The forums are nothing but a soap box for everyone to voice their opinion and think they are special.

I'm not convinced that "Quite a number of them are against regional servers" is actually true either, its really hard to judge what the majority/minority think on the forums.

Moobabe

Sorry for the broad question - but I've been watching a bunch of area overview videos that have popped up in my youtube subs - but what else has changed aside from the areas? It looks stunning and has addressed my main concern with the original game, but is there a run down of the other changes they're making?

Jinko

Sorry for the broad question - but I've been watching a bunch of area overview videos that have popped up in my youtube subs - but what else has changed aside from the areas? It looks stunning and has addressed my main concern with the original game, but is there a run down of the other changes they're making?

Battle system has drastically changed, UI and controls are more PC friendly (mouse and keyboard), servers have almost no lag now and there is no animation lock, gathering is completely different (there is a video demonstrating how it works)

Materia system will change so you don't lose equip/armour when you fail a meld.

Loads of other stuff I'm forgetting I am sure, TBH its basically a different game to 1.0.

desu

Basically the whole game is new. New engine and server architecture, most systems of the game are redone from scratch. All that remains is your old character from 1.x (if you had one) and the items (with new stats).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Actually, maybe I will be able to play. My beta account is a US account. Will the game IP block me if I'm in another territory?

I really think regional servers would be bad for me personally, as I'd like to play with GAF, but with my new move coming up, I wouldn't be able to (unless they don't block out of region players)

DrDogg

I don't mind waiting until June, just hope it doesn't conflict with E3 so I can play without being drained from the event.

All Legacy players get early access to release.

Is this confirmed or are you just hoping? Sorry, I'm just now catching up on news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom