• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mature

There are only 5 races, all of them (except galka, or wahtever it's called) will be over populated, taru is gonna be just as common as mithra since they are "unique" among the races in a japanesy way
If all of them are "overpopulated" then none of them are— It would be an equal distribution. >_>

Lucis

If all of them are "overpopulated" then none of them are— It would be an equal distribution. >_>

human perception is a bit different than statistics.

Are mithra over populated? probably not, at least not much, but the perception is they are.

Samething will happen for whatever race you pick.
You'll be like,
Hey another mithra, I swear I just saw 2 over there, oh look, another one running by, FML

In reality, just as many human/elf/taru has gone by

pablito

so i remember reading that for phase 3 your characters from 1.0 will be available. if that's correct, does anyone know if that also goes for if you had a character in 1.0, but cancelled sub?

my bad if it's been answered already.

so i remember reading that for phase 3 your characters from 1.0 will be available. if that's correct, does anyone know if that also goes for if you had a character in 1.0, but cancelled sub?

my bad if it's been answered already.

If you didn't delete your character, it should be available for you to import when Phase 3 opens.

Munba

479367_448664695223670_248795330_o.jpg

477327_448664915223648_232889867_o.jpg

922575_448664771890329_662932319_o.jpg

459402_448664738556999_644913377_o.jpg

Jinko

LOL at the last pic, the map says X14, Y13 and the mini map says X30, Y18. :X

Other than that Limsa looks better than in 1.0 IMO.

Arc07

Probably the cursor location lol.

Edit: Actually no, that wouldn't make any sense either I think. lol.
Actually I'm pretty sure the coordinates on the map does change depending on where the cursor is but yeah it doesn't add up in this case.

Forbiden

I don't think I would move away from Gridania, but it does raise the question... can we change nations?

Well, you have to keep in mind that "nation affiliation" in 2.0 will be based on your Grand Company. This means that you aren't exactly tied down to a nation based on where you start, but based on the grand company you pick. I think they've said that your "starting" job will determine which nation you start out in, but that will not have much of an impact on story or other things. I also believe they mentioned they'll let people switch GCs in 2.0, so...I'd say chances are good you'll be able to switch to the Maelstrom if you are Twin Adder or Immortal Flames.

omlet

Eh, they probably balanced it out in other ways.

Relic-having folk are still going to have a big leg-up on the non-Relic folk, so it's not worth worrying about.

I'm hoping Ifrit Extreme will be a bit more doable with the improved lag, etc. so I can get that done as soon as I've reacquired all my WHM abilities.

Late, but I was actually just thinking about this over the weekend.

I'm just glad to have hamlet and my doublemeld done. We got most of the LS (that cared) done with hamlet and I'm pretty proud of that. We completed 17 sets of seals and I think only 2 people who were actually interested didn't finish and even then they were pretty close to finishing.

Between helping people finish seals and working on Darnus hardmode I never had a chance to work on dungeon speedruns (or any group to do them with...), so that's where I'll be picking up in ARR and that should be a good head start even with possible changes to the quest line.

We've heard Hamlet is getting a major overhaul and that was the most time-consuming part in a way. Part of me hopes they keep that phase of it just as time-consuming... :p though Hamlet could stand to be a little more accessible (good chance it's FATE-driven in ARR based on latest live letter statements?). Not that hamlet was "hard" in 1.x once people figured out how the event worked, but doing it for good scores required a very specific party setup which meant anyone who didn't have the versatility of playing multiple roles (including non-combat... especially non-combat) would have a much tougher time getting a group.

Anyway, live letter/post-phase-2/chokaigi info is keeping my interest strong (I must admit I am pretty invested in TERA for now, but still planning to back-burner that once I can go home to Eorzea). I am looking forward to what comes out of the next beta phases.

Nooo...!

Now I have to relearn who all the assholes on the server are. :\
My reaction at first, too, but.... the announcement comes as no surprise, really. I think overall it's a good move, especially considering they went through the trouble of posting race naming conventions and are allowing character re-customization. I think the number of people making minor adjustments to their names or renaming for new race/sex or a more "actually sounds like a name and not some kind of joke" name will far outweigh the number of assholes who will be trying to bury their old reputation with a name change.

I don't think I would move away from Gridania, but it does raise the question... can we change nations?
Yes, as Forbiden mentioned. I believe it was latest live letter they did confirm the following:
A) Existing characters' allegiance will be determined by their choice of Grand Company, not what starting city you picked in 1.x.
B) Players will be able to switch to another Grand Company but rank will not carry over.
C) New characters' starting city will be determined by starting class based on where that class' guild is located but will not be "tied down" to that city unless they chose to join that GC.

Ravidrath

B) Players will be able to switch to another Grand Company but rank will not carry over.

I almost wonder if rank will carry over, even if we stay with the same GC, just from the "Hey, you disappeared for 5 years" thing and "Hey, you need to do all these story missions again."

I'd imagine we'll have the do all the missions again anyway, but maybe we'll just be able to buy stuff from higher ranks despite doing noob missions.

Riposte

I almost wonder if rank will carry over, even if we stay with the same GC, just from the "Hey, you disappeared for 5 years" thing and "Hey, you need to do all these story missions again."

I'd imagine we'll have the do all the missions again anyway, but maybe we'll just be able to buy stuff from higher ranks despite doing noob missions.

I wonder if they will spend any effort altering dialogue. They actually did that for XI depending on which previous quests or missions you've done.

Jinko

I wonder if they will spend any effort altering dialogue. They actually did that for XI depending on which previous quests or missions you've done.

They said that previous players would start out at a different point to new ones, You see in the trailer a hint at that when they appear in the woods, no doubt they/we will converge into the main quest line after a few quests though.

omlet

Oh, I meant if you switch to a different GC your existing rank doesn't carry over from your current GC, naturally. They didn't say anything (that I know of) specifically about carrying 1.x rank into ARR. Still, pretty sure our 1.x GC progress is going to be acknowledged in ARR somehow, even if our max 1.x ranks don't translate directly to max ARR ranks.

BLCKATK

I gotta say, the UI does look like it went through a slight improvement. Those THM skills look really really good. I wonder if any other classes got redesigned skill icons from Phase 1-2.

SwagJesus

Banned
Few questions about ARR for anyone that can answer as I have dropped XI and am looking for something to fill that gap.

1. Is the combat pretty much just skill spam now? Is their still auto-attack?

2. Have they made the game more like other MMO's how it is just one quest to another to level and the occasional dungeon?

3. Is there an actual Auction house now?

4. How is the UI? Is it still as laggy and un-responsive?

Also I don't mean for these questions to come off as condesending, I am just critical of everything they have done since I first picked up XI in 2004.

1. You can spam skills, doesn't mean it's the most effective way to play. You'll run out of TP in longer fights if you do this. Yes, there is still auto-attack but it primarily exists for base damage rather than TP regeneration.

2. There are main story quests, side quests, class quests, levequests, hunting log, guildhest, dynamic events (F.A.T.E) and several dungeons (they say 16-18 dungeons at launch).

3. There is something called "The Market Board" that lets you search items for sale. You don't currently list items directly using the board, but this may change due to feedback

4. UI is very responsive and has very little lag. There is a PC-centric UI and a different UI for controllers.

N.A

Banned
Edit: beaten.

Few questions about ARR for anyone that can answer as I have dropped XI and am looking for something to fill that gap.

1. Is the combat pretty much just skill spam now? Is their still auto-attack?

2. Have they made the game more like other MMO's how it is just one quest to another to level and the occasional dungeon?

3. Is there an actual Auction house now?

4. How is the UI? Is it still as laggy and un-responsive?

Also I don't mean for these questions to come off as condesending, I am just critical of everything they have done since I first picked up XI in 2004.

1. Early levels are spammy, gets better as you progress. There is auto-attack.

2. A mixture of quest-levelling, main scenario, instanced dungeons, FATEs (like GW2's live events system), hunting log, guildhests and grand company quests.

3. Yes. (though you still list items through retainers which may be changed soon).

4. UI is much better and is being improved massively for phase 3. Also the gamepad UI is awesome.

Allard

Oh wow, weather types even in the cities now. I was sure that'd be a "can't do because of memory" card.

It was one of the most asked about features in the early game and technically it was experimented with in the 1.0 release with the lead up to Dalamud's descent. During certain points the weather would change dreary/windy in Limsa before Dalamud showcased its special weather condition toward the end. This weather event would always come when the music went away. I hope they experiment more with this type of stuff in the final launch game. It didn't happen often but I loved the occasional dynamic element of foreboding that came with Dalamud, especially liked how they made the whole world under rainy weather in April of 2011 and then later said "Queer weather we are having lately?" from one of the NPCs XD.

Hope this means we might see rain/thunder in Gridania in the official releease, although if we have dust storms in Ul'Dah I fear it would be 'too' immersive in the sense it gets annoying very quickly.

Weren't they saying something like hoods wouldn't be possible or something? Or was that specifically white mages?

Believe they were talking about the ability to raise and lower the hood on the character. The main two for that being the Warrior and White Mage Helm/Hood.

Jinko

Yep. Seems we'll get on/off helmet option but not for hoods (something about having to touch and redo all the equipment with hoods)

Lazy excuse really, there are few hooded models, WHM robe and the odd U/U cowl, the other cowls are all one model just with different textures and colours.

They did say that lifting and lowering the visor on the WAR AF head will be in though.

Mature

Lazy excuse really, there are few hooded models, WHM robe and the odd U/U cowl, the other cowls are all one model just with different textures and colours.

They did say that lifting and lowering the visor on the WAR AF head will be in though.
I don't even need a switching animation. Give me the ability to toggle it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom