• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munba

New shots from Yoshi-p:

913636_453875138033872_1998190497_o.jpg

460521_453875128033873_93723782_o.jpg

459432_453875114700541_885197374_o.jpg

919811_453875164700536_1421318053_o.jpg

It seems they added a sort of milky way in the night sky :0

Allard

With exception to the first screenshot I think the rest of those are storyline cut scenes or instanced story events. Half those NPC's were dedicated storyline NPC's from the original Limsa starter storyline, and the twin Miqote look semi unique.

N.A

Banned
New letter too:

Hello again to all of you eagerly awaiting FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn. I know I haven't been pumping out letters as often as I used to, but we've all been working feverishly in preparation for phase 3 of the beta test. Nevertheless, I couldn't let another day go by without bringing you the forty-fifth Letter from the Producer!

We recently attended the Niconico Chokaigi 2 event here in Japan, and I'd like to give a big thanks to everyone who showed up in person, as well as all of you who tuned in from afar. After traveling overseas to events last year like E3, Japan Expo, and Gamescom, it was nice to finally have one here at home. In case you haven't heard through the grapevine yet, we made two important announcements at the event, which I'd like to go over in this letter.

First and foremost, FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn will be released in summer 2013. It will be a worldwide release for the PC and PlayStation 3, available in Japanese, English, French, and German. At the end of the month we'll announce the release date, along with pricing and details on the collector's edition. We'll also start accepting preorders at the end of the month.

Our second important announcement was that phase 3 will start at the beginning of June. Phase 3 will include a multitude of changes based on feedback from the first and second phases, as well as the long-awaited commencement of PlayStation 3 testing. But that's not all—we're also adding Ul'dah and Limsa Lominsa, nearly one hundred new FATE encounters, four additional dungeons, main scenario quests up to level 20, grand companies, provisioning missions, free companies; we're making revisions to the battle system, testing the transfer of characters from version 1.0—the list goes on and on. I've been working around the clock, double and triple checking everything along the way, so sit tight and phase 3 will be here before you know it!

It's not just me though—the whole team has been working at full throttle to ensure the game will be ready for a summer release. It won't be long before you can mark your calendars and begin the final countdown!

With phase 2 of the beta test now at an end, I know our beta testers are feeling a bit anxious waiting for phase 3. If the forums are any indication, a good number of you seem to be going through withdrawal, which is a good thing...I think. Anywho, since you all still have a while to wait until phase 3, I found a little something that might help tide you over.

9403_0.jpg

9403_1.jpg

Well, that's all I can give you for now. I'll see you all next time in my seventh LIVE letter. And not long after that, I'll be headed to E3. If you're in America, make sure to drop by!!

If the LIVE letter is before E3 then phase 3 will be almost certainly start the first week of June!

falastini

Somebody was complaining how the FFXIV races don't differ as much as FFXI, or how they all look like variations of humans? I think this is a good example. They literally look like humans with cat ears and tail. I kinda miss the more bestial features in the races of FFXI.

Galka (big hulky beasts) > Roedlkvevje (big humans)
Mithra (cat creatures) > Miqote (humans with cat appendages)
Taru > Lalafell (more human and taller)

I think lalafell bug me the most. I don't find them cute at all... mostly creepy. And I mained a taru. I wish they took the chance to revamp the races a bit with ARR.

Jinko

Somebody was complaining how the FFXIV races don't differ as much as FFXI, or how they all look like variations of humans? I think this is a good example. They literally look like humans with cat ears and tail. I kinda miss the more bestial features in the races of FFXI.

I think lalafell bug me the most. I don't find them cute at all... mostly creepy. And I mained a taru. I wish they took the chance to revamp the races a bit with ARR.

Duno although Taru were cute they looked crap in armour, I think they made a good choice making lalafell more human looking, Galka never really looked beastlike to me, mithra were just more furry its the only difference between them and Miqo'te.

Chances are the next race will be more animalistic.

Riposte

Lalafell are better looking than Tarutaru. Taru are more apt being plushies than adventurers. It was always wonder how they lifted up their heads in the first place. Lalafell are at least as big as gnomes or halflings now.

falastini

I thought my taru was pretty slick in in AF gear. I guess I'm in the minority then, because Lalas look freaking weird to me.

But my point about the other races still stands. Look at that Miqote picture above. Cover up the cat ears. Can you tell they're not human? They look the same as the hyur chicks without them.

Galka had a more distinct look then the Roegdlkyvben. They had unique proportions with their massive torsos and tiny legs, plus tail. Roevysvbbr are just buff guys with different faces.

Mature

I thought my taru was pretty slick in in AF gear. I guess I'm in the minority then, because Lalas look freaking weird to me.

But my point about the other races still stands. Look at that Miqote picture above. Cover up the cat ears. Can you tell they're not human? They look the same as the hyur chicks without them.

Galka had a more distinct look then the Roegdlkyvben. They had unique proportions with their massive torsos and tiny legs, plus tail. Roevysvbbr are just buff guys with different faces.
It depends on the character. You can make Miqote look pretty cat-like in the character builder if you want to.

suzu

I never thought Galka looked beast-like either, other than the tail. And I like that you can make Miqo'te look less or more cat-like as you want.

Lalafells are adorable! Also you can see their lower body armor better, which is probably one of the reasons they are now taller.

Onemic

How is the game now compared to 2 years ago? is the beta available to everyone? How good is the beta?

Been thinking about resubbing, but not sure if the quality has improved.

ebil

How is the game now compared to 2 years ago? is the beta available to everyone? How good is the beta?

Been thinking about resubbing, but not sure if the quality has improved.
Beta testers are under NDA until at least phase 3, which will be starting at the beginning of June. The only thing I'll say is it's basically a whole new game in almost every way, so it's very difficult to even compare it to V1.
Beta 1 and 2 were very limited in content (only Gridania, The Black Shroud and a third of the classes were available), Beta 3 will open up Thanalan, La Noscea and the rest of the classes with added content (more FATEs, a further balanced battle system, Limit Breaks, Materia to name a few additions). Everything so far has been, and should remain, capped at level 35.
If you ever had a FF14 account, you should have Beta access by phase 3, so you'll be able to see for yourself if you like it.

Animekatt

All of those pictures of the scenery are just breathtaking. I'm leaning ever so closer to living in Limsa come the full game, but I'm trying to stick to my Windy heritage and go with Gridania. Not sure what to do yet.

Onemic

Beta testers are under NDA until at least phase 3, which will be starting at the beginning of June. The only thing I'll say is it's basically a whole new game in almost every way, so it's very difficult to even compare it to V1.
Beta 1 and 2 were very limited in content (only Gridania, The Black Shroud and a third of the classes were available), Beta 3 will open up Thanalan, La Noscea and the rest of the classes with added content (more FATEs, a further balanced battle system, Limit Breaks, Materia to name a few additions). Everything so far has been, and should remain, capped at level 35.
If you ever had a FF14 account, you should have Beta access by phase 3, so you'll be able to see for yourself if you like it.

How about the game now though? Is it still worth resubbing before the beta becomes open?

How about the game now though? Is it still worth resubbing before the beta becomes open?

As the others have said, the game in the form you knew it does not exist at all. They shut the servers down in November/December of last year and beta for A Realm Reborn has been going on since February 25th of this year.

This is an entirely new client, new graphics engine, new server structure, re-made cities and areas, new quests, new battle system, etc. A Realm Reborn is pretty much an entirely different game outside of the fact that people who played FF 14 get the game for free and can import their characters from the old version to continue on their existing characters.

Onemic

As the others have said, the game in the form you knew it does not exist at all. They shut the servers down in November/December of last year and beta for A Realm Reborn has been going on since February 25th of this year.

This is an entirely new client, new graphics engine, new server structure, re-made cities and areas, new quests, new battle system, etc. A Realm Reborn is pretty much an entirely different game outside of the fact that people who played FF 14 get the game for free and can import their characters from the old version to continue on their existing characters.

Considering I do have an existing FFXIV account and have subbed before, is it possible to still get into the beta before the open beta date in June?

Considering I do have an existing FFXIV account and have subbed before, is it possible to still get into the beta before the open beta date in June?

You'll be automatically admitted in phase 3 of the beta when it starts in early June. Phase 4 is open beta, which probably won't happen until sometime in July.

I don't even think you need to apply unless you want to apply for the PS3 beta, but applying never hurts.

I feel exactly the opposite; I much prefer the XIV versions of each of those races.

LowParry

Same tbh. But I still recognize the other people that want to be something other then "the slightly bigger, buffer, bluer human". It adds to the gameworld as well for some games.

I expect a majority of my instance runs will be full of cat people. Jellicle cats. Though I think what I may end up doing is creating two characters. One strictly for all Disciples of War and the other Magic.

notworksafe

I still plan to play my old Miqo and maybe a lady Roegadyn. I do prefer the XI races just because they were a bit more unique looking, but it's nice to finally be able to pick male and female versions of all the races.

Love those shots of the Maelstrom guys above (I assume that's who the sailors are anyway), still makes me wish there was a COR equivalent in XIV. Also was there ever any word as far as Musketeers? Are they going to be in ARR?

ebil

I still plan to play my old Miqo and maybe a lady Roegadyn. I do prefer the XI races just because they were a bit more unique looking, but it's nice to finally be able to pick male and female versions of all the races.

Love those shots of the Maelstrom guys above (I assume that's who the sailors are anyway), still makes me wish there was a COR equivalent in XIV. Also was there ever any word as far as Musketeers? Are they going to be in ARR?
Almost certainly at some point. But I think the closest thing to an 'answer' we got is that they were still undecided on what to introduce first and were thinking of a Scout-type class (think Thief/Rogue).

Well some people do just like humans with different skins on them instead of anything really unique. Personal preference I guess.

Hmm. To be fair, I suppose my preference probably stems more so from how they're represented in game; cultural quirks, general personality, etc. Especially in the case of Lalafell and Miqo'te. But I do prefer their appearances as well. Their features are just different enough to give them a flavor beyond simply "short/big/cat-eared human" while still being decidedly not furry.

Jijidasu

They adjusted the ie10 site so that one tweet now pushes 1.5% completion of the next reward. About 2 hours ago it was at 30% and now it's nearly finished. More art incoming!

Qvoth

god that monk af set looks friggin nice...
looks great in game too, i think the pugilist/monk page on their site has that one

Seeing all these pictures makes me really sad because I know of my bad luck I won't get in any of the Betas :(

Will the public Beta be available for EVERYONE? even those who didn't apply for it? it will be for both the PC and the PS3 versions correct?

BLCKATK

I read it as FFXIV:ARR x Windows 8 (meaning it's cross-promotional) and a fancy way to put it.

That sounds right. I believe Square Enix and Microsoft are doing a cross promotion for the game to build up hype in Japan. Smart, since PC gaming doesn't have a huge presence in Japan teaming up with Windows is really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom