• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It could be always the arcanist there :/

Untitled.jpg

Seeing this i cried lol.
The question is if it takes a 6 man group and 2 minutes in order to kill one!

Jijidasu

3dugWQL.jpg

A closer look at the CE cover. That book holding class is wearing green armour but it's hard to tell if it's the same design as the one in the Akihiko Yoshida illustration.

ebil

Mmh. In that case Scholar would be Job and we'll get a new Class as well. But in this case we'll have 2 classes/jobs that use books... dunno.
Why would that pose a problem anyway? Give Arcanist 2 Soul Crystals, let Summoner focus on Arcanist's pet aspect and Scholar focus on DoT/magic whatever aspect comes next.
If anything and from what has been leaked before, Arcanist being completely new looks like the perfect opportunity for them to try multiple jobs on a single class.

Edit: that CE cover is amazing, I need a hi-res version badly.

or maybe scholar > green mage

since the <color> mage nomenclature is used for jobs up to now, having a green mage class would cause confusion, imho.

on a second note.... WHERE IS MY EU PS3 CE pre-order LINK????

Munba

Green mage would be neat.

A question on something i didn't get: if i buy a phisical CE, can i put that KEY in a 1.0 account? In this case, i would play the game with the new code (and from beginning without my old characters)?

Green mage would be neat.

A question on something i didn't get: if i buy a phisical CE, can i put that KEY in a 1.0 account? In this case, i would play the game with the new code (and from beginning without my old characters)?

Why would you do that?

You could simply create new characters and play on a new server if you want. No real reason to create a new FF XIV service account under your SE ID, though you certainly could do that if you wanted.

I bought a PS3 CE and I'm going to register the goodies to my existing account. Will be nice to have the option of lounging on the couch and playing with a PS3.

Ricck

It took 5 minutes. Just followed a link in the confirmation email, input the last 5 digits of my card and plugged in my order number and there was an option to cancel. Put my reason (Not trusting DR) and it was done. Though with them I don't doubt that they'd screw it up, so be careful.

What's so bad about DR?,never heard or used their services..

I preordered as well for the digital CE PC version

I literally just started paying attention to this game again yesterday, so I've been out of the loop on news for quite some time. I've got a few questions for the folks who've been keeping up with the news. I may consider swallowing my pride and giving it a go since I've got 3000 crysta sitting around doing nothing.

I was in the original beta and played for a few months after launch, but quit shortly after the event that gave out the colored bunny samurai helmets (or the christmas gear, whichever came last) and I haven't played since then. Would my character data and name be carried over to ARR? I logged into my SE members page and saw that my character seems to still exist and is on a server called 'Excalibur' which is not where I played originally.

Is there any information on what is carrying over and how the transition will work? From what I understand there have been some pretty major changes to the class system and such, I'm wondering how the progress I made would in 1.0 would impact my character in 2.0. Have they said whether or not transfered characters will be given the option to be tweaked with the new options at launch?

Lastly, I hear some previous XIV players will get ARR for free digitally. I bought crysta, but never used it to pay for any game time (cancelled before they started charging). This wouldn't count, would it?

Munba

You could simply create new characters and play on a new server if you want. No real reason to create a new FF XIV service account under your SE ID, though you certainly could do that if you wanted.

I bought a PS3 CE and I'm going to register the goodies to my existing account. Will be nice to have the option of lounging on the couch and playing with a PS3.

Ok, thx. Dunno why i thought that every key would have its "path" of charaters lol.

N.A

Banned
I literally just started paying attention to this game again yesterday, so I've been out of the loop on news for quite some time. I've got a few questions for the folks who've been keeping up with the news. I may consider swallowing my pride and giving it a go since I've got 3000 crysta sitting around doing nothing.

I was in the original beta and played for a few months after launch, but quit shortly after the event that gave out the colored bunny samurai helmets (or the christmas gear, whichever came last) and I haven't played since then. Would my character data and name be carried over to ARR? I logged into my SE members page and saw that my character seems to still exist and is on a server called 'Excalibur' which is not where I played originally.

Is there any information on what is carrying over and how the transition will work? From what I understand there have been some pretty major changes to the class system and such, I'm wondering how the progress I made would in 1.0 would impact my character in 2.0. Have they said whether or not transfered characters will be given the option to be tweaked with the new options at launch?

Lastly, I hear some previous XIV players will get ARR for free digitally. I bought crysta, but never used it to pay for any game time (cancelled before they started charging). This wouldn't count, would it?

Your character, items and levels will carry over. You can completely customize this character's name/race/gender/appearance one time.

Everyone who bought 1.0 gets ARR + 30 days free regardless of whether they they actually subbed for any months.

I was in the original beta and played for a few months after launch, but quit shortly after the event that gave out the colored bunny samurai helmets (or the christmas gear, whichever came last) and I haven't played since then. Would my character data and name be carried over to ARR? YES I logged into my SE members page and saw that my character seems to still exist and is on a server called 'Excalibur' which is not where I played originally.

Proof that it exists, they merged the servers at some point so they will be more populated, so "Excalibur" is the combination of the server you played and another one

You can transfer you character in the beta that start in June. But as a test. Once the game is released, you can play already with your character. And basically all carries over: Equipment, level, etc.... The cnages to the class system were mostly skill related and the biggest addition is the job system, an evolution of classes. Is no problem since they share level with classes, for example a lvl 45 LNC would be automatically a lvl 45 DRG. So not really a problem with the progress you made already.

And yeah, you get the option change the name and the aspect and race of your character once the game starts.

If you bought XIV already, you can download ARR for free. Every player that has a XIV account can do so. So no Crystal dosn't count. You should check if you are a Legacy Member. There's a few benefits for being so.

Your character, items and levels will carry over. You can completely customize this character's name/race/gender/appearance one time.

Everyone who bought 1.0 gets ARR + 30 days free regardless of whether they they actually subbed for any months.

Cheers, thanks for the answers.

I read up on the 'legacy campaign' and it looks like I wouldn't qualify for that since I didn't sub for 90 days, but the legacy campaign is just the special chocobo mount and lowered price going forward correct? Since I purchased the 1.0 CE and registered it back in the day I'll get the aforementioned ARR download and 30 day sub, but also the new CE digital content for free?

Thanks for elaborating. :)

I don't think I am, but how would I confirm my legacy status?

N.A

Banned
Cheers, thanks for the answers.

I read up on the 'legacy campaign' and it looks like I wouldn't qualify for that since I didn't sub for 90 days, but the legacy campaign is just the special chocobo mount and lowered price going forward correct? Since I purchased the 1.0 CE and registered it back in the day I'll get the aforementioned ARR download and 30 day sub, but also the new CE digital content for free?

Correct. :)

ebil

Thanks for elaborating. :)

I don't think I am, but how would I confirm my legacy status?
On your Square-Enix account page, next to FFXIV, there's this specific icon if you're a Legacy Member.
IB2GBpt.jpg

Anyway, if you were a Legacy Member, you would have been sent an invitation for Beta already.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Kinda of dumb question &#8211; regarding PS3 and PSN versions &#8211; but if I buy an EU game can I use US credit cards? Or if I buy an US game can I use EU credit cards? Plus there's also PSN to consider, maybe that's region locked. Whatever <.<'

Mature

What's so bad about DR?,never heard or used their services..
They're notorious for their bad service. Just recently they failed in getting people the Ni no Kuni CE. Lack of communication, lack of compassion, lack of professionalism, saying one thing and doing another— they really caused a lot of problems for a lot of people. I've only used them twice and both times there have been major issues (and one of the two times I didn't even end up getting my product). They're truly awful.

Ricck

They're notorious for their bad service. Just recently they failed in getting people the Ni no Kuni CE. Lack of communication, lack of compassion, lack of professionalism, saying one thing and doing another— they really caused a lot of problems for a lot of people. I've only used them twice and both times there have been major issues (and one of the two times I didn't even end up getting my product). They're truly awful.

Understood, thanks for the info, canceled my order with them!

Kinda of dumb question – regarding PS3 and PSN versions – but if I buy an EU game can I use US credit cards? Or if I buy an US game can I use EU credit cards? Plus there's also PSN to consider, maybe that's region locked. Whatever <.<'

That's why I did not buy the PS3 CE from the US store... fearing for issues with the EU PSN

Blah, now I'm a bit worried.

I just tested my old character names in the enjin signature creator to see if it would still recognise character data, and it's pulling data for my alt/storage character and but not my main. Does anyone know the policy for how long they keep character data? I know if you let your sub lapse too long in FFXI they'd wipe it all out and you'd have to go through that recovery program to get it back.

Edit: this is what it's showing

Main:
12354_48d6215903dff562.png

Storage:
506_48d6215903dff562.png

vissione

Banned
Blah, now I'm a bit worried.

I just tested my old character names in the enjin signature creator to see if it would still recognise character data, and it's pulling data for my alt/storage character and but not my main. Does anyone know the policy for how long they keep character data? I know if you let your sub lapse too long in FFXI they'd wipe it all out and you'd have to go through that recovery program to get it back.

Edit: this is what it's showing

Main:
12354_48d6215903dff562.png

Storage:
506_48d6215903dff562.png

Try this: http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/search/characterForm

Ravidrath

What would be the point in teasing arcanist?

They also show Summoner on the other side of the thing.

So... maybe we'll see Arcanist split into Summoner and Scholar?

Summoner would obviously play up Arcanist's summoning abilities, while Scholar would focus on DoT/Debuffs.

Jijidasu

I feel sorry for Yoshida having to go out of his way to directly address the crowds of stupid people complaining about why the release is announced so early, etc. It's not like giving time for production lines, PR etc is some great knowledge either, jeez.

I'm hoping they show some Scholarly stuff at E3.

Mature

I feel sorry for Yoshida having to go out of his way to directly address the crowds of stupid people complaining about why the release is announced so early, etc. It's not like giving time for production lines, PR etc is some great knowledge either, jeez, people.
3-4 months is early?

LowParry

I don't see why anyone would think this is coming out early. I think in its current state (Phase 2) is was enjoyable and playable. Which makes Phase 3 even more exciting with all the additions going into it.

Allard

I don't see why anyone would think this is coming out early. I think in its current state (Phase 2) is was enjoyable and playable. Which makes Phase 3 even more exciting with all the additions going into it.

After the 1.0 launch people have nightmares of a buggy mess that was promised to be fixed for release but of course never got fixed, people remember the release date being known BEFORE the open beta was even announced and before Gridania and Ul'Dah got released so people are a little on edge with release dates becoming known before a final workable launch candidate has been tested to the public.

Phase 3 is when they open another 40% of the world bringing the territory to 60% of final release candidate, leveling 1-35, porting of old characters and like 3 times the content, 3 times the systems implemented. The basic core systems have been thoroughly tested, but now the more complicated elements of the final release candidate are about to be tested and they already have a release date for launch. Think people would feel a lot better about the release date if it got announced at least after phase 3 was completed since phase 4 becomes something closer to a release candidate.

Then again as long as there is no game breaking geometry bugs and the changes they outline for phase 3 go without a hitch I can see it still releasing smoothly even at the date given.

Then again as long as there is no game breaking geometry bugs and the changes they outline for phase 3 go without a hitch I can see it still releasing smoothly even at the date given.
Well they've been working with the same engine for years now, so hopefully they polished up the coding after the 1.0 launch and post-launch failure.

Jijidasu

There's a particular thread on the Japanese side that is titled after something Yoshida said before beta started. I can't recall word for word what it was at the moment but it was pretty much "we won't launch until we're 100% satisfied/We'll continue testing until we're 100% confident".

Numerous people went on to question the finer details; are they ready/is -it- ready, the obvious competition of the new generation of consoles and other software, etc.

I won't translate the entire thing because it's a wall of text but I felt kind of bad when I read it. Yoshida is really humble about explaining what is a more or less obvious reasoning behind everything. The tl;dr version of what he said was that they have to make an announcement now based on the business model and the requirement of time to push promotions for the game, to take in orders and so on.

I don't think it's too early at all either, in my experiences and what I'm used to is much more longer intervals between announcement and product release.

Xux

From the blog post:

What would be the point in teasing arcanist?
Ferne's a self-aware troll of a community person and knows everyone's flipping their shit about it on the forums; he probably would've never let the Gria people live it down if he was more involved with the community back then.
Well they've been working with the same engine for years now, so hopefully they polished up the coding after the 1.0 launch and post-launch failure.
Pretty sure it's a new engine but, if the Beta's anything to go by, they've pretty much mastered the PC platform.

Ravidrath

Ferne's a self-aware troll of a community person and knows everyone's flipping their shit about it on the forums;

As an accomplished community troll myself, I'm pretty sure he has all but confirmed Scholar.

"Bookish" is a synonym for "scholarly," and the Scholar head piece in XI is called a mortar board.

And the fact that the Scholar and Summoner both wield books seems to confirm branching jobs.

...Of course, once they officially confirm that at E3, they're going to have endless questions about when the other branching jobs are coming.

The engine is completely new.

My laptop struggled with the 1.0 engine with medium settings, but the new one runs incredibly well with all the options nearly maxed out.

C'mon Dark Knight Gladiator branch!

I haven't been paying attention the last few weeks. Is this something that is confirmed now? Multiple branching jobs from the same base class I mean? Know it was something people were talking about, but still thought it had the same problem of the "jobs" being made up mostly of the "classes" skills so 2 jobs from the same class would play the same. Cept one would toss out jumps every so often and the other would eat a taco or something.

Ravidrath

I haven't been paying attention the last few weeks. Is this something that is confirmed now? Multiple branching jobs from the same base class I mean? Know it was something people were talking about, but still thought it had the same problem of the "jobs" being made up mostly of the "classes" skills so 2 jobs from the same class would play the same. Cept one would toss out jumps every so often and the other would eat a taco or something.

It's pretty much been entirely confirmed as something that will be coming to the game post-launch, yes. The example they usually give is Paladin / Dark Knight.

And since Jobs can equip abilities from other classes, they can differentiate them pretty significantly with the Job Abilities and the other compatible sub-classes.

I would hope that Scholar will have some debuff stuff, but if it's a Helix-using DOT-monster I'd be pretty OK with that, too.

It's pretty much been entirely confirmed as something that will be coming to the game post-launch, yes. The example they usually give is Paladin / Dark Knight.

And since Jobs can equip abilities from other classes, they can differentiate them pretty significantly with the Job Abilities and the other compatible sub-classes.

Err, perhaps. Just seems like a mess of a thing to need to work with around the current armory system. Also can't speak for ever "class" but I have a hard time seeing the lancer combo of moves not being what you would be using as your bread and butter as any job that sprung from it without there being a completely new, more efficient, damage combo in that job.

Sounds more like something they just tossed out as an idea without really thinking about doing in the confines of the game and systems they have to work with.

Ravidrath

Err, perhaps. Just seems like a mess of a thing to need to work with around the current armory system. Also can't speak for ever "class" but I have a hard time seeing the lancer combo of moves not being what you would be using as your bread and butter as any job that sprung from it without there being a completely new, more efficient, damage combo in that job.

Sounds more like something they just tossed out as an idea without really thinking about doing in the confines of the game and systems they have to work with.

I may not make sense for every class to get a branch. I couldn't tell you what else a Lancer would turn into.

And, at least in 1.0, the Dragoon abilities are much more useful than the core Lancer abilities and that would likely extend to any abilities the new Job gets, too.

And, at least in 1.0, the Dragoon abilities are much more useful than the core Lancer abilities.

They sorta still are, going by the data mined skills. Jump doing less then like the second part of the normal combo means it would be less then ideal other then to just weave it in at the end or when you need to hit something at range. I'm sure they will have a cool down instead of the normal cost, just going by what I see of the Dragoon Job skills. They have more of a utility to them, like a jump that takes you to your target, one to get away, then some aoe damage. Basically it looks like that you will still need to rely on the class skills as normal damage. Which is why I see them having a hard time making two jobs from the same class feel that much different.

Of course just basing this off of the skills we know now, from both playing or data mined, and one class in particular.

Teknoman

Yes, because FFXIV needs more DDs.

I can be patient.

EDIT: Seriously though, its just something i'd like to see at some point. Personally i'd like it to be something that has a mix of darkness/debuff attacks, and maybe attacks that become more power with lower amounts of HP? Not sure how well that would work in the heat of an online battle though. Never used DRK in XI, only Warrior, Paladin, a little Ninja, and Blue Mage.

I wonder if anything will result from the older data mined info about Musketeer and Enforcer was it? Some one with a club based weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom