• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPGCrazied

Wow, I must have had low expectations of my PC. I finally got vsync to work in the benchmark, everything at max except I turned off Ambient Occlusion, and the resolution to 1680x1050. I only have a 23" widescreen 1080p monitor, but it looked really nice! Sure it wasn't 60 fps, but looked smooth enough.

I got a 4044 score. I should have no problems with play right? Is the engine improvements in the game now, or not until this releases in August? I tried playing a few months back when none of the new stuff was implemented.

Ugh, might have to come back in August, but really don't want to pay for 2 MMO's, and I really don't want to leave WoW.

Decisions, decisions.

Teknoman

It could just be a different flavor of Tank. With hp-drains or something.

Could work...looking at Cecil, he used a sword and a shield. Actually I dont think i've ever seen Dark Knight as using a different style of weapon aside from XI with the scythe/great sword. Of course i'd really like to see the XIV Dark Knight use a great sword.

Oh, and If I already have the dvd disc for PC, do I need to buy it again? All the new stuff is like free in an update?

If you bought FF XIV at all, you get to download ARR for free.

It's not an update, it's a whole new client. It is almost an entirely different game set in the same world as FF XIV 1.0

Did you download the A Realm Reborn benchmark here? -

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/benchmark/index.html

There may be some additional optimizations for the client between now and release, but they haven't announced anything specific. (This is an entirely different game engine than FF XIV 1.0)

When you say you "tried playing a few months back" do you mean sometime before November of 2012? The beta for FFXIV: ARR has been going since February 25th, so if you haven't been invited to the beta, you haven't seen any of the new stuff yet.

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Amazon CE. Dunno how the pre-order bonuses work through Amazon, but I can live without the hat and Cait Sith come worse case.

So as an existing owner of the original physical CE, the only in-game items you miss out on are the mog hat and the Cait Sith doll minion? I'm already pre-ordering a copy of the new CE because it looks amazing but was just curious.

So as an existing owner of the original physical CE, the only in-game items you miss out on are the mog hat and the Cait Sith doll minion? I'm already pre-ordering a copy of the new CE because it looks amazing but was just curious.

Well, you're going to get those too since you're going to pre-order.

If you weren't pre-ordering, you would only miss out on those two things + early access (Unless you're a legacy member)

Legacy members + pre-orders get early access.

Pre-orders get the cait sith minion and the mog hat

Is the pricing like WoW, where its a flat 60 bucks for a year?
Would love that.

Legacy $9.99 - 30 Days, 40 characters throughout X amount of worlds, 8 characters per server.
Entry $12.99 - 30 Days, 8 characters throughout 1 world a piece.
Standard $14.99 - 30 Days, 40 characters throughout X amount of worlds, 8 characters per server.

I do kind of hope they give some more options for the fees though. There used to be a 180 day option, but they took that away as 1.0 winded down.

Edit: (via)
Note: Pricing for other features, including longer billing cycles and Retainer Characters, have not yet been decided.

That's outdated information, solid.

New stuff is on the preorder page -

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/product/

ZgDCnhD.jpg

Basically, if you pay for 180 days at once, you'll get it for the equivalent of $12.99/month

Zozobra

I don't think I'd plan to have any more than one main character, but is this game going to be like XI where I'll probably want to have one or two mule characters for crafting and such?

Also, I'm trying to decide on my preorder of the CE, but I was wondering: if I were to buy the PS3 version, couldn't I just borrow a friend's PC disc to do the install there as well? Or do you need to tie separate keys to your account for the PC and PS3 versions?

I don't think I'd plan to have any more than one main character, but is this game going to be like XI where I'll probably want to have one or two mule characters for crafting and such?

Also, I'm trying to decide on my preorder of the CE, but I was wondering: if I were to buy the PS3 version, couldn't I just borrow a friend's PC disc to do the install there as well? Or do you need to tie separate keys to your account for the PC and PS3 versions?

PC and PS3 versions are separate in terms of keys.

Just because you have one doesn't mean you can automatically play the other version.

ebil

"Mule" characters are actually handled in-game in FF14. You got retainers who hold your items and sell them. There is no gear swapping and your gear will be handled through a specific interface called Armoury Chest. There will also most likely be Free Company storage, so I doubt inventory management will be a huge issue like in FF11.

Edit: beaten.

"Mule" characters are actually handled in-game in FF14. You got retainers who hold your items and sell them. There is no gear swapping and your gear will be handled through a specific interface called Armoury Chest. There will also most likely be Free Company storage, so I doubt inventory management will be a huge issue like in FF11.

I'm pretty sure you'll need different keys.

What are some practical uses of having 40 characters across however many servers though? I thought about a family account or something, but even then it kind of seems like overkill. Were I able to share my account between friends who live in other states/countries, I guess that's cool but I'd have assumed that would run the risk of violating TOS. I probably won't venture off my main character much either. It would be nice if we could get some cheaper tiers for people who just want to play one character or whatever (e.g. $4.99 - 6.99 for one character on one server). The options might appeal to a larger audience at least.

LowParry

$12.99 seems fine for just the one character. I mean unless you want to go the XI route and price each additional character slot for a $1 but ya know...people and their love for alts :)

Ravidrath

I strongly advise against you having alts in XIV, especially if you want to run with our linkshell. Not trying to be a dick here, I just think it's better for everyone all around.

The ability to be any class/job really negates the need for multiple characters. Also, there are a lot of mission / story gating elements in the character progression that you'll need to accomplish, and you'll probably only want to do them once.

Biggest for me, though, is how alts affect the linkshell. Many of those mission / story things require help from others, usually your linkshell. It's hard enough getting everyone through the content once.

Things get really dicey when it comes to distributing gear. It makes it a lot harder to track, and figure out priorities, and people will invariably get butthurt if an "extra" piece of Darklight gear falls onto an alt, etc. So additional characters just make things worse for the team. Which is why we've pretty much set down a "no alts, period" policy when it comes to endgame stuff.

Also, at least in my experience, people that work on multiple characters just seem to burn out faster. Not only because they're doing the same content over and over, but also because usually the reasons they do it interfere with their ability to enjoy the game. Usually these people just do it for appearance or "character" reasons, and then get frustrated when their character that "was only supposed to be a warrior" has to level something else in order to be an effective member of the team.

They also seem to get frustrated when people won't help their alts through the missions, etc. again, too.

The need for mules remains to be seen. But The two retainers I got in 1.0 were more than enough, and enemies just exploded into showers of items in 1.0, an "issue" they seem to have addressed in 2.0.

Additionally, unlike XI, any gear you have equipped doesn't take up inventory space. And you can equip up to X total Gear Sets at a time for instant switching, meaning that your and your retainers' entire inventory will be available for things other than gear.

Ravidrath

Agreed alts are both pointless and time wasters in FFXIV.

I'm all for people wasting time however they want with alts, just as long as they don't expect everyone else to spend time getting them through the content.

I am serious about people with alts seeming to burn out more, though. All the alt people in XIV come in with some kind of rosy ambitions and then get frustrated trying to live up to them, and burn out. They're making everything harder on themselves for... appearances, mostly.

I think the entire alt mentality comes from other MMOs and isn't particularly applicable to the Final Fantasy MMOs because they are extremely story- and content-driven. I'm actually somewhat concerned that all the stuff about multiple characters, etc. was thrown in just to appease people, and people will try to play it like WoW and end up falling into the burn-out trap.

RPGCrazied

If you bought FF XIV at all, you get to download ARR for free.

It's not an update, it's a whole new client. It is almost an entirely different game set in the same world as FF XIV 1.0

Did you download the A Realm Reborn benchmark here? -

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/benchmark/index.html

There may be some additional optimizations for the client between now and release, but they haven't announced anything specific. (This is an entirely different game engine than FF XIV 1.0)

When you say you "tried playing a few months back" do you mean sometime before November of 2012? The beta for FFXIV: ARR has been going since February 25th, so if you haven't been invited to the beta, you haven't seen any of the new stuff yet.

Yea, I haven't played since like last year sometime. Like April. Nice to know I don't have to buy the game again. Still that CE is nice. Do you guys think a score of 4044 is good enough? It looked pretty perfect on my machine.

Yea, I haven't played since like last year sometime. Like April. Nice to know I don't have to buy the game again. Still that CE is nice. Do you guys think a score of 4044 is good enough? It looked pretty perfect on my machine.

What kind of hardware do you have? That's not a bad score, but depending on what you have a video card upgrade might offer a big improvement.

Mature

Couldn't imagine doing alts in 1.0, can't imagine doing alts in ARR. If you have the ability to make your main a swiss army knife, I think you should do it and not waste the resources/luck/time on other characters.

Aeana

Some people like to make an alt on another account and drag them everywhere with them. Having two characters simultaneously can be pretty useful.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
If you and Lily come back, we'll let you keep your alts.

:p I'll probably try it out but Lil doesn't want to.

I only had 1 alt in the LS cause I didn't like taking up space with them and they were really only used as extra retainers and porters.

Some people like to make an alt on another account and drag them everywhere with them. Having two characters simultaneously can be pretty useful.

This too, I would have them healing me sometimes when I was bored and just wanted to kill stuff. lol

Zozobra

I strongly advise against you having alts in XIV, especially if you want to run with our linkshell. Not trying to be a dick here, I just think it's better for everyone all around.

The ability to be any class/job really negates the need for multiple characters. Also, there are a lot of mission / story gating elements in the character progression that you'll need to accomplish, and you'll probably only want to do them once.

Biggest for me, though, is how alts affect the linkshell. Many of those mission / story things require help from others, usually your linkshell. It's hard enough getting everyone through the content once.

Things get really dicey when it comes to distributing gear. It makes it a lot harder to track, and figure out priorities, and people will invariably get butthurt if an "extra" piece of Darklight gear falls onto an alt, etc. So additional characters just make things worse for the team. Which is why we've pretty much set down a "no alts, period" policy when it comes to endgame stuff.

Also, at least in my experience, people that work on multiple characters just seem to burn out faster. Not only because they're doing the same content over and over, but also because usually the reasons they do it interfere with their ability to enjoy the game. Usually these people just do it for appearance or "character" reasons, and then get frustrated when their character that "was only supposed to be a warrior" has to level something else in order to be an effective member of the team.

They also seem to get frustrated when people won't help their alts through the missions, etc. again, too.

The need for mules remains to be seen. But The two retainers I got in 1.0 were more than enough, and enemies just exploded into showers of items in 1.0, an "issue" they seem to have addressed in 2.0.

Additionally, unlike XI, any gear you have equipped doesn't take up inventory space. And you can equip up to X total Gear Sets at a time for instant switching, meaning that your and your retainers' entire inventory will be available for things other than gear.

Oh, yeah I have absolutely no intention of leveling up multiple characters. Part of what I liked so much about XI was that everything could be done on one character, the fact that you can't really do that in most other MMOs made it hard for me to get into anything else, which is part of why I'm so excited about ARR.

I don't know what FFXI is like now, but I was speaking from my experience from back in the day with that game where if you wanted to level up a different craft to 100 you'd often want to do it via an alt. Also there was using an alt as a bazaar, having them in a different city for access to that AH, etc. - but thankfully that seems to have been addressed in ARR.

Thanks for the responses, guys. So if it's separate keys then I'm definitely going for the PC CE, but I want to get the physical. Is it actually the case that you can only buy it through the SE store? I thought someone mentioned that was written somewhere, but I could actually find the info on it.

RPGCrazied

What kind of hardware do you have? That's not a bad score, but depending on what you have a video card upgrade might offer a big improvement.

I hate to admit it, but its a Dell. All I have right now. It has an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2, 5770HD and 6gigs of DDR3.

So I can't play Final Fantasy XIV at all right now?

To reactivate my account I have to wait till August 27th? I have an old CE account from 2011 and was thinking about jumping back in now that all the Realm Reborn excitement is kicking in. My account is still there and FFXIV is registered.

Can I install FFXIV now and run updates periodically just to be ready for August 27th?

So I can't play Final Fantasy XIV at all right now?

To reactivate my account I have to wait till August 27th? I have an old CE account from 2011 and was thinking about jumping back in now that all the Realm Reborn excitement is kicking in. My account is still there and FFXIV is registered.

Can I install FFXIV now and run updates periodically just to be ready for August 27th?

It's not an update. It's an entirely new client. No need to install what you have.

You should be invited to phase 3, as you own FF XIV already.

Should be starting in 1-2 weeks or so based on what we know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom