• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowParry

Are we putting a list together of who's going to join up here in GAF or is it too early? I've got a few friends who want to join up as well.

Ravidrath

I don't know what FFXI is like now, but I was speaking from my experience from back in the day with that game where if you wanted to level up a different craft to 100 you'd often want to do it via an alt.

Yeah, that's because in XI you could only take one craft to 100 - all the others could only go as high as 60. So often times people would make alts for crafting.

No such issue in XIV for crafting, thankfully.

Jijidasu

I should probably make some attempts to gather the group of FFXI Ragnarok server importers (Requiem) like I did for 1.0. Only downside for some people is we'll be playing on the a JP server by the looks of things.

The old forum is still standing but people only check once every few months.

Alex

Are we putting a list together of who's going to join up here in GAF or is it too early? I've got a few friends who want to join up as well.

I'll probably join in, and unlike the launch of the first game I might not even bail to another server after the first week!

Kesagiri

I'm definitely joining. I played for five years on FFXI (Fairy -> Sylph) and this game looks great. I can't wait to sink my teeth into it.

Jinko

I hate to admit it, but its a Dell. All I have right now. It has an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2, 5770HD and 6gigs of DDR3.

That's good enough for now, you will probably want to wait untyil you get into beta/open beta and test it out yourself.

I got 5000ish on the benchmark and have no problems running this game at 1080p medium settings.

Teknoman

Everyone should be on the same footing since nothing is the same. All the boss strategies, locations known by heart, certain class/job skills, etc. right out the window.

I am looking forward to seeing how the game handles level 50s taking on early story mission content.

notworksafe

That's outdated information, solid.

New stuff is on the preorder page -

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/product/

ZgDCnhD.jpg

Basically, if you pay for 180 days at once, you'll get it for the equivalent of $12.99/month

So what's Entry? Is that like a first month charge?

Ala Alba

Everyone should be on the same footing since nothing is the same. All the boss strategies, locations known by heart, certain class/job skills, etc. right out the window.

Not really. By the time newcomers get to level 50, the old guard that were already level 50 should have quite a bit more experience at doing the endgame content.

So what's Entry? Is that like a first month charge?

No, the difference is in the number of characters allowed.

ebil

So, about pre-ordering that CE from EU; how did you guys do? Amazon? Do you get the Moogle hat and Cait Sith doll pre-order bonuses that way?

I'm asking because I'm pre-ordering this game for my mom who's very interested in playing the game, but I think I'll snatch the pre-order bonuses and art book from her. :p

Munba

So, about pre-ordering that CE from EU; how did you guys do? Amazon? Do you get the Moogle hat and Cait Sith doll pre-order bonuses that way?

Ordered from amazon eu but still no mail with code. I think they'll send it near the release... i hope so lol.

LowParry

Well, here's hoping my friends don't get too sucked into Rift since it's going to F2P here soon and we're all going to play it before AAR starts up. Otherwise I'll be coming home alone.

Credo

I'll be back when the time comes. I used to play as Dinadan Elessar, but I'll be changing the name whenever they give us that option.

Mileena

Banned
Did they just send you an invite? Interesting if that's the case.

Nope, I found an invite in my spam folder and for all I know it could have been there since the start of phase 2. Regardless, I'm psyched to play this finally come June.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
I'll be back when the time comes. I used to play as Dinadan Elessar, but I'll be changing the name whenever they give us that option.

Hmm, I remember you. I think you were the one that gave me your pink pants?

lol long time ago.

Cool, this is exactly what I needed to know. Going to pre-order on Amazon. Thanks!

Yeah I can't wait to get a CE edition from Amazon. Hey, just in case anybody didn't know, if you already own FFXIV 1.0 and have it registered on your SE account, you will get the regular, downloadable version of ARR for free. I think that they will email you a registration code or something the day before perhaps.

Rootbeer

Banned
When FFXI went from PS2 -> PS3, how did that work? Did you have to buy new software for the PS3 or could you just carry it all over for free? If free, I wonder if it would work that way with PS3 -> PS4 for FFXIV

I saw these instructions on how to migrate FFXI but it doesn't say anything about addtional costs

I realize that when we are talking new hardware the rules can always change, but it could be an indicator of how they'll handle it.

ebil

When FFXI went from PS2 -> PS3, how did that work? Did you have to buy new software for the PS3 or could you just carry it all over for free? If free, I wonder if it would work that way with PS3 -> PS4 for FFXIV

I saw these instructions on how to migrate FFXI but it doesn't say anything about addtional costs

I realize that when we are talking new hardware the rules can always change, but it could be an indicator of how they'll handle it.
It actually never got released on PS3, your link is about installing the PS2 version on PS3.

Rootbeer

Banned
It actually never got released on PS3, your link is about installing the PS2 version on PS3.
oh, darn! well I'd settle for that at least as an interim solution :p not that I expect it to happen.

Kinda bums me out that, if I end up liking this game, I may have to buy it 3x (PC, PS3 [which i'm doing now to get the CE stuff], and eventually, PS4)

meanwhile, in most other MMOs, you buy once and get the client EVERYWHERE. I really like being able to play GW2 on PC/Mac back and forth with ease

Ala Alba

oh, darn! well I'd settle for that at least as an interim solution :p not that I expect it to happen.

Kinda bums me out that, if I end up liking this game, I may have to buy it 3x (PC, PS3 [which i'm doing now to get the CE stuff], and eventually, PS4)

meanwhile, in most other MMOs, you buy once and get the client EVERYWHERE. I really like being able to play GW2 on PC/Mac back and forth with ease

Come on, that's hardly fair. Name one other MMORPG that was even released on a console, please.

You can install FFXIV on as many PCs as you want, so it's almost like you're just complaining for the sake of it.

Skilletor

I can't install any other MMOs on a console.

Friend of mine was asking me if new players can join the servers with the legacy players. I said of course, but I wasn't sure. You can, right?

I'm super hype for this. Beta 3 is coming at a perfect time (woman is out of town and no school this summer).

ebil

Friend of mine was asking me if new players can join the servers with the legacy players. I said of course, but I wasn't sure. You can, right?
Yes! It's legacy characters (not players, just the old characters) that won't be able to migrate on 'fresh start' servers.

I'm so torn on where to play when the game launches. I m a legacy player, but I wonder if my experience will be hampered by not playing on a fresh start server. The whole fresh feeling might be ruined on a server populated by my experienced character from a game that doesn't exist anymore.

does anyone else find themselves in the same boat?

I'm so torn on where to play when the game launches. I m a legacy player, but I wonder if my experience will be hampered by not playing on a fresh start server. The whole fresh feeling might be ruined on a server populated by my experienced character from a game that doesn't exist anymore.

Same boat. I'm really interested in starting fresh on a new server without any players that have existing characters.

I have around 20 million gil, lots of special event items, gobbue mount, many high leveled jobs, etc., so I stand to lose a lot, but I don't want any to take any of that 1.0 baggage with me into the new game.

It's a pickle and we're all trying to digest it.

I'll probably take my Leg' wherever there looks to be the most content-play happening. Right now that looks to be the GAF crowd. That said, I know I'll have about five or six friends who will all find a way to not listen to me and scatter themselves across three or four servers so I'll probably end up sampling the best and worst bit of both worlds. So it's not so much me worrying about having the experience ruined than I am being wary about having my time wasted. I'll probably encounter less of that on a fresh server when things start out so yeah, outside of some general exploring and GAF runs, I'll probably pour the majority of my first few months at least into a fresh world.

What are we talking about in terms of bottom line differences between the two options? Legacy servers will have notably different economies, what else? Population will probably be the next most relevant, as some of the elitism people are skittish of will hit the ground running on legacy servers (e.g. if you don't have three+ classes capped, you're worthless to play with).

I'd rather spend my time making some new friends/acquaintances, not bickering with some mage I may or may not have purposefully let die because he wouldn't' shut up about irrelevant s#$t not going his way in a fight.

It's strange considering some of the stuff many people have accumulated on their Legacy accounts and having it wither (ex-items, gobbue mounts, etc. etc.), but it's not like it'll get deleted or anything. Hopefully they have something planned for us beyond what I've already read.

There's no way I'd start fresh. I don't have as many jobs/classes leveled as other people, neither I have much money or I barely did any crafting. So I can easily start a new class from level 1 and see all the content.

But the thought of throwing all these hours down the tolilet?. No thanks. It probably would kill the game for me after a few weeks.

Also they worst it can happen is that the economy will be kinda fucked up in the first weeks when a group a people would control all the high level crafting. But new players will be still become the large bulk of players and those will define the server in the long run. There aren't many legacy players, neither those have all jobs, crafting classes and are megarich.

Qvoth

ok wat? legacy players have their own server?
oh wow i didn't know that...
don't have legacy so i can't play with most of the people here i think since most gaf players have legacy?

anyway guys i think i've heard somewhere saying ARR will have server segregation by region or something? so NA server, JP server, EU server something like that? was it true?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom