• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Are we sure it doesn't suck again? I stayed the fuck away from XIV because it smelled bad from the start, but I'm pretty tempted this time. Especially for 25€.

The difference now is that we...knew it sucked back during 1.0 beta. This time its improved alot from what we've played in late 1.0, and after experiencing the beta so far, it seems like a pretty competent game. More so one of being main series number worthy.

That being said:

Mature

Are we sure it doesn't suck again? I stayed the fuck away from XIV because it smelled bad from the start, but I'm pretty tempted this time. Especially for 25€.
It will be good this time.

Trust this man:
tdg-yoshida-epl-22.jpg

Teknoman

Also mind blown after talking with some testers on the beta forums. Never finished Wings of the Goddess, but apparently the Vana'diel we all knew was just an alternate version of the real one?

Thats on the level of finding out Cloud was actually a nutcase / Zidane was created in a magic lab. Then again, I guess FF main series is one for twists like that...what with FFV and two worlds being split.

Animekatt

Also mind blown after talking with some testers on the beta forums. Never finished Wings of the Goddess, but apparently the Vana'diel we all knew was just an alternate version of the real one?

Thats on the level of finding out Cloud was actually a nutcase / Zidane was created in a magic lab. Then again, I guess FF main series is one for twists like that...what with FFV and two worlds being split.

The Vana'diel I played in for 5 years will always be the real version to me dammit.

The only issue with the pet is if we can even use it in a different region, and I'm fairly certain that's a no. Suppose we'll just have to wait and see if it ends up being released anywhere else, which I could see at some point down the line.

Oh well, I didn't think of that. However, I bought last year a japanese art book of FFXI, that gave a code for a Mandragora Shield (that wasn't made available in any other way) and I could use it in my EU account. I thought it would be the same, but you have a point there.

desu

The only issue with the pet is if we can even use it in a different region, and I'm fairly certain that's a no. Suppose we'll just have to wait and see if it ends up being released anywhere else, which I could see at some point down the line.

Well XIV 1.x codes were region locked, hope that's not the case for ARR.

Riposte

God still haven't found an artist. Guess I'll send a few PMs to people who did a good job. Don't trust myself to do it alone.

I liked that twist. Didn't play anymore of it (were the penultimate missions) after the reveal because at that point they went crazy with the game and I lost my thin attachment to it. It is kind of fan-fiction, but I like the idea that the goddess has been making multiple small corrections which leads to new problems (Zilart, Shadow Lord, Emptiness, etc) with Abyssea just being one of those leftover worlds/timelines. I forget the story for Abyssea, but it probably isn't that.

Wings of the Goddess was weird because they threw out most of the awesome moments of the recorded moments of the Crystal War and replaced them with weaker versions. Huge disappointment. Awesome characters, showdowns, etc were cheaply done and changed likely due to a reduced budget/laziness. They didn't even put the Kingslayer on his mount, nor did they give him his final showdown with Rainemard (Curilla's dad, the iconic RDM) at the Battle of Xarcabard. Still maybe the best story (but not the best overall missions, that's CoP).

Sin

Noob question incoming: Was a new score composed for ARR, especially by Nobuo Uematsu?

Its a completely new score composed by Soken. Some of Uematsu's tracks from 1.0 are still in ARR but most of them have been replaced, although he has been approached by Yoshi-P to compose more tracks for ARR eventually.

Mr. RHC

Its a completely new score composed by Soken. Some of Uematsu's tracks from 1.0 are still in ARR but most of them have been replaced, although he has been approached by Yoshi-P to compose more tracks for ARR eventually.

Oh, wow, thanks for the info!

I had no idea that they replaced the old score, interesting, it really is a Realm Reborn.

Askani

I wanted the PC CE but after finding out it wasn't going to be available outside of S-E's shop I did a 180. Will probably just be going with the Digital CE.

Is this confirmed? SE's website is the only place to get a physical CE?

Also, why the 180? Is there a reason to not order from them?

Jijidasu

A person on Twitter by the name of Lu made this:

yOi2wrf.jpg

Pretty damn awesome. There's more construction pictures at the actual account (/Lu_Ro_14).

Another interesting thing I stumbled across:

YB7xhQZ.jpg

This was supposed to be put in the game towards the end of 1.0 (1.21 or so according to the original poster). Dead give away that the Seventh Umbral Era revolves around Dalamud holding Bahamut!

notworksafe

Gah! I want in early but I'm not sure if it's worth preordering a version I don't need just for that extra week. Decisions, decisions

At least I can buy the CE stuff for only $20 after launch.

Kule

edit: applies to PC collectors edition only. PS3 collectors edition is fine and you can register items to previous 1.0 account

Just a heads up guys. This answer was posted on the official forums for anyone who planned on adding the collector in game items to their old 1.0 account.
I've effectively lost £50 and square enix want me to pay another £15 or £20 to 'upgrade' my account.

This is new information which they just happened to miss out on telling customers when pre orders went live.

You will receive the pre-order items, but the registration code for the Windows collector's edition
cannot be used with a pre-existing Windows service account. To receive the in game items for
the collector's edition, please use the digital upgrade.

Just a heads up guys. This answer was posted on the official forums for anyone who planned on adding the collector in game items to their old 1.0 account.
I've effectively lost £50 and square enix want me to pay another £15 or £20 to 'upgrade' my account.

This is new information which they just happened to miss out on telling customers when pre orders went live.

Whoooa whoa what? Does anyone know if this applies to the PS3 CE as well?

N.A

Banned
Ps3 ce is fine. Only people who had the 1.0 standard edition and bought the arr physical ce are affected. It really sucks and there is already a huge thread about it on the beta forums. It can't be that hard for them to flag standard accounts as ce if they have a arr ce code so hopefully they fix it before release.

Rootbeer

Banned

Now that we have clarity on this policy, they should offer a way to upgrade your 1.0 non-CE account to a digital CE. I don't remember reading that this is possible, but I'm sure lots of people would do it.

Akuosa

Now that we have clarity on this policy, they should offer a way to upgrade your 1.0 non-CE account to a digital CE. I don't remember reading that this is possible, but I'm sure lots of people would do it.
You can already do that, that's the whole point, they tell you to do that instead.

Rootbeer

Banned
You can already do that, that's the whole point, they tell you to do that instead.
At first I interpreted it as an upgrade service for the 1.0 CE only, but you can upgrade the 1.0 standard edition to the ARR CE while the 1.0 CE gets upgraded free. Looks like they have the bases covered then.
Ps3 ce is fine. Only people who had the 1.0 standard edition and bought the arr physical ce are affected. It really sucks and there is already a huge thread about it on the beta forums. It can't be that hard for them to flag standard accounts as ce if they have a arr ce code so hopefully they fix it before release.
I really hope they come up with a solution. Sounds like a pretty straightforward fix on their end. Adding a second key to their account wouldn't be too different from, say, an expansion key... they have to account for people that don't read messageboards buying a boxed edition in a store thinking they need it to play even if they already have 1.0.

Credo

edit: applies to PC collectors edition only. PS3 collectors edition is fine and you can register items to previous 1.0 account

I'm still kind of confused about what this means.

I got the PC Collectors Edition for 1.0. And I've preordered the physical PC Collector's Edition for ARR. Am I going to be affected by whatever it is you're talking about?

I swear they couldn't make any of this upgrade nonsense more confusing.

I'm still kind of confused about what this means.

I got the PC Collectors Edition for 1.0. And I've preordered the physical PC Collector's Edition for ARR. Am I going to be affected by whatever it is you're talking about?

I swear they couldn't make any of this upgrade nonsense more confusing.

What they are saying is that you can't apply more than one FF XIV for windows code to a FF XIV service account. You can only use it to register a new FF XIV service account.

e.g. if you have a standard 1.0 account (not CE) and you bought the Physical ARR PC CE copy, you would NOT get the digital items because you can't apply another PC code to your existing FF XIV service account.

You CAN, however, apply a FF XIV for PS3 code to an existing FF XIV Service account. So if that same 1.0 standard edition owner bought the PS3 CE, he would get the digital CE items, etc.

Fucking Digital River. I swore to never order from them again after the Ni No Kuni fiasco but it seems that Square Enix has given me no choice.

I ordered two copies of the PC CE and they forced me to save my credit card details which I wasn't too happy about. I verified my order status after placing because I don't trust Digital River and just for fun I looked up an ancient order in their system from a previous card and they still had that one stored too and I'm certain that particular purchase never mentioned storing the details.

Anyway, early this morning I received a notice that my Square Enix account had been locked due to suspicious activity. I have never had this happen before and have a security token on my account. The e-mail even suggests adding a token so that this doesn't happen. I can't help but think that Digital River is somehow at fault here. I'm not too worried about it since I have a token on the account but I guess I'll go ahead and change my password.

Fucking Digital River. I swore to never order from them again after the Ni No Kuni fiasco but it seems that Square Enix has given me no choice.

I ordered two copies of the PC CE and they forced me to save my credit card details which I wasn't too happy about. I verified my order status after placing because I don't trust Digital River and just for fun I looked up an ancient order in their system from a previous card and they still had that one stored too and I'm certain that particular purchase never mentioned storing the details.

Anyway, early this morning I received a notice that my Square Enix account had been locked due to suspicious activity. I have never had this happen before and have a security token on my account. The e-mail even suggests adding a token so that this doesn't happen. I can't help but think that Digital River is somehow at fault here. I'm not too worried about it since I have a token on the account but I guess I'll go ahead and change my password.

They do this if someone signs into your account from a strange IP address they don't recognize. It's nothing to do w/ Digital River.

Cetra

This situation with the physical CE is pretty baffling. I've cancelled the two copies I pre-ordered. If they are able to fix this I may pre-order again. But as it stands... yeah, no thanks. First time I've been completely disappointed with ARR news. Way to tarnish it SE account peoples.

Munba

For those like me who are stuck with a £50 CE with no way to get the digital items make some noise in the two threads I have created:

Official Forums: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...h-1.0-players-who-want-to-buy-the-physical-CE

Beta Forums: http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Te...h-1.0-players-who-want-to-buy-the-physical-CE

Hopefully SE will realize how stupid this is.

Usually the items come along with own codes and you'll be able to register them in your existing account. The only code you can't register in an existing account is the code of the game itself. I think so at least.

The thread title says Phase 3 first 10 days of June, but I cannot find a source or link for that anywhere in the thread. It also doesn't appear to be on the beta forums.

Where is this info coming from and what are the specifics?

They do this if someone signs into your account from a strange IP address they don't recognize. It's nothing to do w/ Digital River.

It was probably because my external IP changed since I last logged in from the web. I still don't like the fact that Digital River forces you to store your credit card details. ...and they're a completely shit company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom