• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinko

Is it safe to say we are headed to Tonberry then, might be worth adding that to the OP.

Would be good to have us all on the same server.

Also anyone who watched the Live letter notice the FF11 style Thunder Elementals ?

LowParry

So for those who are newly invited, can we download the entire beta client? I can get the launcher but nothing else.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
So for those who are newly invited, can we download the entire beta client? I can get the launcher but nothing else.

Install, launch, login and download the 6gb data ;)

Jinko

Rumours are that dungeons will be level capped/restricted as will FATE, gear will scale via level sync.

I'm not sure about FATE though as Yoshida wasn't level synced when he took part in the FATE event during the live letter.

Allard

Rumours are that dungeons will be level capped/restricted as will FATE, gear will scale via level sync.

I'm not sure about FATE though as Yoshida wasn't level synced when he took part in the FATE event during the live letter.

It says on the roadmap level sync won't be implemented until phase 3, its going to be like some of the issues in Alpha where we know the change is on the way to make elements easier/more intuitive, but still they implement in progress content early so he gets early feedback on the system. My guess is nothing is going to be capped until level sync is properly added or it will just cause way too many issues (like getting your gear stripped as you enter a dungeon or part of a FATE and suddenly not be able to change into lower level stuff since you will get on hate list.)

Jinko

It says on the roadmap level sync won't be implemented until phase 3, its going to be like some of the issues in Alpha where we know the change is on the way to make elements easier/more intuitive, but still they implement in progress content early so he gets early feedback on the system. My guess is nothing is going to be capped until level sync is properly added or it will just cause way too many issues (like getting your gear stripped as you enter a dungeon or part of a FATE and suddenly not be able to change into lower level stuff since you will get on hate list.)

Ahh cool that's makes sense.

Allard

I really hope FATEs dont end up being a mess of people/boring leve like events.

And dont make it happen so often.

It sounds like its going to be closer to GW2 style system (based on the 4gamer interview) where stuff is triggered in the field and changes based on the success/failure of linked FATEs, they could last as long as couple minutes in the normal 'kill all these mobs' to several hours depending on level and amount of people participating (and type of FATE on top of that as conditions might get more complex as the fate continues). They mentioned in that interview FATE is their all encompassing Public Questing system and just about any randomized public quest that more then one player can freely participate falls in it. They even talked about a FATE getting triggered in little hamlet towns or even cities where your purpose is to break up a bar fight and it leads to things they hope to be big enough for Roaming Primal battles (in the far future when they are not integral to the current story) and needing several people to help.

Conditions for FATES occurring is 1) more people in the zone = more fates happening 2) failure triggers the next FATE to happen quicker so a player has a chance at revenge 3) current status of link FATE chain; are you defending a base or attacking it? FATEs are timed, but variations occur based on the above conditions. From the sounds of the interview they want to make FATE one of the primary means people have to get EXP for a second job once they run out of normal quests, this alongside duty finder/dungeons, guildhest lvl 30+ and PvP lvl 30+ so I imagine they are going to want to make it semi frequent. FATEs will only give EXP and Gil, but more large scale 'boss' like FATEs in the higher levels might come with items potentially rewarded to (this is all from the recent 4gamer interview).

Edit: Oh also that giant adamontoise was for show in the benchmark (same with Ifrit in the field), but they do hope to eventually have boss battles that large using the FATE system, FATE bosses will be larger then the normal mobs and just how big he is hoping people look forward to it.

Teknoman

I mean, i'm fine with them being mundane at times, since not everything needs to be some extreme battle, but I just dont want them to end up devolving into a rush where you have 40 people beating on the same enemy, not knowing whats going on.

I guess it's all about how its handled.

Teknoman

I keep getting errors when trying to download the game via the launcher now... Its like its downloading no data, counts down the minutes remaining, and then just...errors out.

Allard

I mean, i'm fine with them being mundane at times, since not everything needs to be some extreme battle, but I just dont want them to end up devolving into a rush where you have 40 people beating on the same enemy, not knowing whats going on.

I guess it's all about how its handled.

I think we will have those, but we will also have some unique ones, the bar one I mentioned they talked about how you would likely be fighting both antagonizing parties as they fight each other so there is that as a unique element. It sounds like Yoshida wants to make a mix of mundane every day stuff like the bar scene or getting rid of critters, to defending and assaulting forts where you follow NPCs to battle, or when an especially large mob is terrorizing the area you are called to help vanquish it. To eventually facilitate large roaming NMs that drop gear and require the aid of many adventurers. They will have dungeons/raids/guild hest and other elements they can use for more coordinated affairs, think these are just casual, step in when you feel like and get rewarded events. Yoshida also mentioned wanting to make bosses large so that you actually could visually understand the peril and you wouldn't be questioning what you were doing there. Guess at this point its a wait and see how it functions in practice.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So happy to have gotten an invite :3!

Teknoman

Just decided to go ahead and delete then reinstall...but im still kinda shocked that my download speed is going so slow, especially when the alpha downloaded pretty fast.

On the bright side, I found some old screens I forgot I took from before Dalamud while messing around in the 1.0 folder.

ibjMfUkFcHQsS6.jpg

iDBiXnuQYHwd0.jpg

iG9gmQWt79E6W.jpg

i4s2OMCbGCzTH.jpg

iFWJpmoaQ8NiN.jpg

Allard

Just decided to go ahead and delete then reinstall...but im still kinda shocked that my download speed is going so slow, especially when the alpha downloaded pretty fast.

Probably because like 4 times the amount of alpha testers are all trying to download the client on day 1. I haven't even bothered to start it yet on either my computers, planning to have them download when I am sleeping later tonight.

Teknoman

Probably because like 4 times the amount of alpha testers are all trying to download the client on day 1. I haven't even bothered to start it yet on either my computers, planning to have them download when I am sleeping later tonight.

True...well at this rate, I hope it doesnt error out again. I know we'll probably have a good amount of that Monday.

True...well at this rate, I hope it doesnt error out again. I know we'll probably have a good amount of that Monday.

it's not the people downloading right now or something. after i posted earlier it was going average of 2.3MB/s. but then again a friend is having his share of issues but going 100kb/s lol.

Roommate got an invite this morning, so I should be playing on Monday. We're probably pretty lucky considering we've never played any of the final fantasy MMOs until now and I heard they were prioritizing original players.

Also, I'm downloading at like 90kbps. Jesus. I hope I'm able to play by Monday!

Umm I got a beta code and registered it on my account but can I preload the beta-client somehow? o.o The alpha-client can't update itself and the Email only had the code and no link to the client.

Zios

Banned
Umm I got a beta code and registered it on my account but can I preload the beta-client somehow? o.o The alpha-client can't update itself and the Email only had the code and no link to the client.

Check the beta forums - Test Client Download section

Anyone else think their beta invitation was a fake at first? Thing looked like the scam ones I normally get for mmorpg type things and the shortened url didn't help that at all. Guess it was that I thought invites already went out as well.

Anyway, glad to be in. Can't wait to start testing my new life replacement.

Check the beta forums - Test Client Download section

Should also read the "Please Read Before the Beta Test" highlighted thing for a bunch of info and links to info about the beta.

Jijidasu

Damn that article didn't last long. I was thinking of lowering myself to shame her for what was clearly terrible journalism, honestly, just dirty, cheap and ignorant journalism - but I didn't. Couldn't be bothered to register to tell someone off.

Ravidrath

Damn that article didn't last long. I was thinking of lowering myself to shame her for what was clearly terrible journalism, honestly, just dirty, cheap and ignorant journalism - but I didn't. Couldn't be bothered to register to tell someone off.

What did you think was "ignorant journalism?"

I mean, some of the complaints seemed legit - I don't know why you need to drag an item onto a character to give it to them, for example. And NPC text assuming you know where everything is can be annoying, at least if you're just trying to get something done.

It was solely focused on the negative, though. And it also seems like her only "argument" was "I like GW2 better." But it should've been possible to at least talk about it being pretty, or much better than 1.0, acknowledge that MMOs are pretty much impossible to grasp in a 30 minute demo session, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom