• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

raven777

Late in, I just ran the benchmark with my computer. I must say the graphics look a lot better than those shitty youtube videos when I actually ran the benchmark.

FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Official Benchmark (Exploration)
Tested on:2/23/2013 2:30:27 PM
Score:6454
Average Framerate:54.452
Performance:Very High
-Easily capable of running the game. Should perform exceptionally well, even at higher resolutions.

Screen Size: 1920x1080
Graphics Presets: Maximum

ran with Alienware X51 desktop with 660ti GPU.

Will the Beta be taking place primarily in Gridania and surrounding areas like the Alpha did? I'll be playing regardless, but I am just dying to see the other two countries reborn.

Jijidasu

What did you think was "ignorant journalism?"

I mean, some of the complaints seemed legit - I don't know why you need to drag an item onto a character to give it to them, for example. And NPC text assuming you know where everything is can be annoying, at least if you're just trying to get something done.

It was solely focused on the negative, though. And it also seems like her only "argument" was "I like GW2 better." But it should've been possible to at least talk about it being pretty, or much better than 1.0, acknowledge that MMOs are pretty much impossible to grasp in a 30 minute demo session, etc.

My main issue was that the writer compared ARR to another contemporary MMO (GW2 for the most part which contributed to the fact I think she is heavily biased). The way she compared FATE to Guild Wars 2's active events was a little off the mark; she went about saying that taking reference from GW2's system is okay, because it's a good part of the game but later turned it all around and stated it was negative.

Another matter is that (it seems) the writer went into that presentation expecting to know everything about the game. "What's the brannock", "I have no idea." - well, of course you don't dear. If you're shuffled onto a demonstration PC with a limited amount of time to read dialogue of course you won't learn a thing about the world. I'm not saying that rushing through because of time constraints is a bad thing however going out in tears screaming that the game isn't telling you anything is ignorance.

The article is more often than not biased to GW2 and then states the said "borrowed" element isn't great. I'm baffled.

Forbiden

What did you think was "ignorant journalism?"

I mean, some of the complaints seemed legit - I don't know why you need to drag an item onto a character to give it to them, for example. And NPC text assuming you know where everything is can be annoying, at least if you're just trying to get something done.

It was solely focused on the negative, though. And it also seems like her only "argument" was "I like GW2 better." But it should've been possible to at least talk about it being pretty, or much better than 1.0, acknowledge that MMOs are pretty much impossible to grasp in a 30 minute demo session, etc.

I think that's exactly why it's being called "ignorant journalism". She's basically nitpicking at every little thing, thinking that open world events like FATE were invented by GW2 and that FFXIV is just ripping them off, and going further by saying that the implementation is "half assed" because she couldn't get a reward from something that, by her own admission, was for a lower level group. Sure, perhaps the game could have made it clear that at her level she wouldn't get any reward from the FATE she participated it, or even better, it shouldn't have let her participate in it(although if it did then you can be sure she would have complained that the game was restricting her actions), but that's why the game is currently in Beta, to find out what isn't working and fix those issues before the game gets released.

Xux

MMOs have MMO gameplay elements. News at eleven.

I don't really care how unique it is. Partially 'cause I just haven't played that many MMOs but mainly 'cause I just want a good new Final Fantasy to play.

As far as I'm concerned 1.0 and the Alpha version were pretty good and the Alpha had a perfect and intuitive interface. I also don't remember having trouble finding the Bannock. In fact, I remember the game saying that it's south from the Blue Badger Gate.

Teknoman

Seems like Yoshi's still got his work cut out for him and the team. Not that I ever thought any different.

EDIT: Honestly, the alpha pointed out everything for you, and there were tutorial tips everywhere, unless I missed something. The only thing I didnt know about was that one guy that auto raised your level for dungeons or something.

Meicyn

Gold Member
My main issue was that the writer compared ARR to another contemporary MMO (GW2 for the most part which contributed to the fact I think she is heavily biased). The way she compared FATE to Guild Wars 2's active events was a little off the mark; she went about saying that taking reference from GW2's system is okay, because it's a good part of the game but later turned it all around and stated it was negative.

Another matter is that (it seems) the writer went into that presentation expecting to know everything about the game. "What's the brannock", "I have no idea." - well, of course you don't dear. If you're shuffled onto a demonstration PC with a limited amount of time to read dialogue of course you won't learn a thing about the world. I'm not saying that rushing through because of time constraints is a bad thing however going out in tears screaming that the game isn't telling you anything is ignorance.

The article is more often than not biased to GW2 and then states the said "borrowed" element isn't great. I'm baffled.
You're not understanding the author's complaints. The complaint isn't that there's a dynamic event system. The complaint is that because she was over leveled, she didn't get a single iota of reward for her efforts. Players do not enjoy the feeling of having their time wasted.

The remark about the brannock was snarky on the author's part, but that isn't the author's issue in and of itself. The comment ties in to the complaint about the current state of the map system and the marking of locations for quest content across multiple maps. Having an expectation of familiar map features that are standard in other MMOs is not outrageous.

but that's why the game is currently in Beta, to find out what isn't working and fix those issues before the game gets released.
And the way we go forward with regard to fixing issues before the game gets released is to be completely honest with ourselves and acknowledge what's wrong with the game, which the article does.

I think some of you are a little too close to your fandom, because I see absolutely nothing wrong with the article. It is blatantly honest about the author's grievances which will undoubtedly be many other players' grievances as well, because the MMO market is saturated with alternative options that don't have these issues, and this game is demanding $15/month. Many of these alternatives are free and they may be currently playing them.

If Square Enix takes this article's feedback seriously (which I'm sure they will), it will lead to a better game for all of us. Rushing to the game's defense with the tiresome catch-all argument of "IT'S IN BETA" reminds me a lot of my time beta testing FFXIV 1.0, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Anarchy Online, and countless other MMOs. I'll take the brutal honesty, thanks.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Still can't get into the forum...It's been the same since 1.0. Never been able to access the lodestone forums and this time the beta ones... Sad:(

rbrogue

Is there really only one other person in this thread that isn't able to update? I keep getting this error.
A problem occurred while updating.
Please restart FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn (Beta Version). [11006][20641][20643]

Anyone have any ideas? Uninstalling and re-installing didn't help, compatability mode didn't help. I deleted the patch file I was downloading and started over and it got hung up at the same point. I want to download :(

Teknoman

Is there really only one other person in this thread that isn't able to update? I keep getting this error.

Anyone have any ideas? Uninstalling and re-installing didn't help, compatability mode didn't help. I deleted the patch file I was downloading and started over and it got hung up at the same point. I want to download :(

Just keep trying. I got the error twice, deleted the entire beta folder and uninstalled/reinstalled, and it went through fine the third time.

Jinko

Problem with that Penny Arcade review is it focuses too much on negativity and not on the positive, there is a small paragraph at the bottom saying what's good but it doesn't balance the article very well when the majority of it is negative.

It also compared FFXIV to GW2 saying that it copied many aspects although didn't GW2 copy a lot of things from RIFT and WAR ?

The dev team have said that the handing over of items would be fixed from Alpha, I guess they didn't have time to implement it into beta though.

You're not understanding the author's complaints. The complaint isn't that there's a dynamic event system. The complaint is that because she was over leveled, she didn't get a single iota of reward for her efforts. Players do not enjoy the feeling of having their time wasted.

If it was a finished game I would agree but many things have yet to be implemented like level sync which would solve that issue, clearly she was unaware of this though.

The remark about the brannock was snarky on the author's part, but that isn't the author's issue in and of itself. The comment ties in to the complaint about the current state of the map system and the marking of locations for quest content across multiple maps. Having an expectation of familiar map features that are standard in other MMOs is not outrageous.

Thing with this is that after a while you become accustomed to the maps and its a kind of exploration, how is that a bad thing, many new MMO's hand hold you everywhere so I can understand why that may come off as cumbersome when you have no hand to hold any more.

I guess she don't knowing level sync and that will be implemented is a problem that SE PR should have made more clear in the tour.

But I don't exactly understand why the UI is that bad?. Well maybe is not as clear and fast like GW2 which has a magnificent UI, but right now ARR UI is fine with some minor problems...

Seems like she dosn't think the game is like GW2 therefore is "old". I'd say that MMO going for more actiony battle systems is a good thing, but nothing wrong with more traditional battle systems as long as they're fun.

Munba

I missed this 'bar rumble' FATE info:

There are F.A.T.E. where some NPC is going wild at the bar.

4 - It happens at camps as well?
Y - Yes, it does. It doesn’t happen often, but when that F.A.T.E. starts NPC comes out and when you talk to that NPC it tells you “There is a guy inside the bar going wild...... that him!” and that’s where it starts. Then, the players start punching each other and.... well look forward to it.

4 - fist fight...... it’s in town, so it doesn’t get into sword fights.
Y - If the player goes bare fist (laugh). You can also jump the guy in group......, for that one please try it out yourself.

This means you can also use bare fist lol? Sounds awesome if it's the case. XD

Problem with that Penny Arcade review is it focuses too much on negativity and not on the positive, there is a small paragraph at the bottom saying what's good but it doesn't balance the article very well when the majority of it is negative.

It also compared FFXIV to GW2 saying that it copied many aspects although didn't GW2 copy a lot of things from RIFT and WAR ?

Yeah---the complaints, while most likely valid in some form or another, just come off more finicky than anything and because of it, the article itself just reads imbalanced and churlish. Most aren't gonna get anything from it because the problems mentioned aren't gonna equate to anything that most newcomers or veterans can benefit from information-wise anyway. Whether due to NDA, the game's BETA status, or just personal bias, an article like this has an extremely limited reach in terms of being informative or critical.

Kevin VanOrd's impressions weren't necessarily positive, but he was far more reasonable in articulating the possible setbacks the game will inevitably face.

"Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn isn't trying to be different from other MMOGs--it's just trying to be different from Final Fantasy XIV as it currently exists."

Even when the game DOES finally launch, I'll only be paying attention to mostly MMO-focused blogs/websites (e.g. The Mog Log) anyway, because they bring constructive criticism to the table in an informative/insightful manner for a genre that is inherently meant to go through many iterative versions (though to be fair, if you go to far in that direction, you'll just wind up depressed on the Final Fantasy Official Forums in some inane thread). Everything else seems to be towards the layman and is written in such a way that only a superficial glance will be worth discussing, often very generally.

Fans are gonna be very defensive about this game since its baggage and its relaunch are kind of an inspiring thing to look at and how negative word of mouth is so closely tied to its initial release ("aww this game still sux, square has really lost it"). Plenty of people are also unfairly going to want it to be the second coming of Jesus as well, since XIV is charging them a subscription fee to play, which many if not most of people consider audacious now for whatever reason.

It is time to start getting used to the negative impressions though as more and more of the press get their hands on it, particularly people with no prior insight on the game's long and turbulent development process or exposure to the online Final Fantasies in general and mostly just modern ones.

Chalor said:
"I don't think any kind of preview article written by someone who hasn't been closely following the game's development is going to be valuable at this point.

PAR writes for the average gamer (which is becoming harder and harder to do), but I'm not sure ARR is even going to be aimed at the average gamer at launch, let alone ready for their consumption at the start of beta. No, the ones best placed to advise on the ongoing development of this game are the ones that have been keeping an eye on it all the way, and fortunately, that's who Yoshi-P has proved he's paying attention to.

I guess basically my point is that the only people who will seek out an article like this one at this time are likely to be better informed about the game than the person who wrote it."

To me, the Penny Arcade article made it seem like she was expecting the game to attempt to revolutionize the genre, especially because it will be charging a subscription fee when other games with similar features (and no Final Fantasy mythos ) are free.

A lot of people who aren't typically that into mmorpgs or people who don't enjoy/got tired of traditional mmorpg gameplay may have the same viewpoint as this person. The question at that point would be "Is playing a final fantasy worth $15/month when I can get similar gameplay features for free somewhere else?"

I agree with her complaint about dragging items over to npcs, but there was an interview where Yoshi-P explained it was for people who weren't as experienced in this style of mmorpg. He was concerned that they might go looking for the item in their inventory and not find it there if quests automatically completed and removed the required items. I'm sure they'll get a lot of feedback from testers about that, so we'll probably get an option toggle or something at least for the people that care.

The article does some off as a little biased towards GW2 in particular, but if someone is currently playing and enjoying a game it wouldn't surprise me if their opinions were somewhat biased in favor of it. On the other hand, if one is getting burned out on a certain game, their opinion might go the other way.

It looks like this game is shaping up to be exactly what I wanted. A mmorpg with exciting content and a deep lore in a world full of final fantasy. The efforts of Yoshi-P and his team in rebuilding this game are the reason I'm here. If they hadn't changed directors I'd have just never looked back after I left FF XIV 1.0 a few months after launch.

Jinko

I agree with her complaint about dragging items over to npcs, but there was an interview where Yoshi-P explained it was for people who weren't as experienced in this style of mmorpg. He was concerned that they might go looking for the item in their inventory and not find it there if quests automatically completed and removed the required items. I'm sure they'll get a lot of feedback from testers about that, so we'll probably get an option toggle or something at least for the people that care.

I'm sure they said the items would be automatically added to the quest box during Alpha, maybe they changed their mind. :(

Kind of strange because a lot of people complained about it.

I'm sure they said the items would be automatically added to the quest box during Alpha, maybe they changed their mind. :(

yeah, they did say that. I think Yoshi-P decided against it for now. We'll just have to tell them again.

Ala Alba

I would be fine with adding it from my inventory if I could double click on an item and have it added to the quest box. Dragging really doesn't do it for me (I wonder how it will work with a gamepad?).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm in phase 3... so Monday, right?

Lucis

Some Questions.

I have bought ff14 when it first came out. However I didn't play much and only got to around level 35 (with the gaf LS). I couldn't stand the control mostly after playing wow for so many years, despite that I used to love ff11.

Anyways, fast forward to now, since I am classified as Legacy, I will get beta next Monday. I am kinda excited to see all the improvements.

However my grip is that, even though the whole realm reborn thing seems awesome story wise, I didn't see any real story going to level 35 during my play through. I am oblivious to the general story of 14. While I know that the world was ending, and (is it a cycle? the 6th time 7th time?) the heroes are sent back to a parallel universe of a different time?

Is there some where I can get more information on the whole story line so far and what I am expecting to see in the new game? The first FF14 was really not new player friendly as I had no idea what I was doing at first. Starting from character creation, choosing guardians and such had no good explanation. I did not know which guardian would be good for me (or if they have no real effect) if I wanted to play magic focused character.

Is FF14 ARR going to be better in term of not worry about missing out stuff and have a better explanation of everything for new players?

Also, what about client for this phase of beta and stuff? Do we download the whole thing some where? if so where?

Thanks

Akuosa

yeah, they did say that. I think Yoshi-P decided against it for now. We'll just have to tell them again.

I knew I had read about this in the "new" interviews, so I read them again to find it... it's in the one by Gamerescape:

GE- When you complete a quest that requires you to turn in an item- you have to click and drag the item over to the NPC. Is there a reason for doing this instead of the game checking to see you have the item and having it done automatically?

Yoshida- That’s something I did on purpose because if it was done automatically then you’d just keep clicking without doing anything. But especially because XIV is going to be the first MMO for the console gamers we want to make sure they take that extra step to complete that quest.

Maybe in the future we’ll remove that if everyone’s bothered. I know there has been some feedback already but I want to start with this style for now.

Console players, if done automatically, might think ‘where did it go?’ because they’re not used to it. So we want to make sure they’re used to it first then in the future maybe we can decide what to do.

On one hand, I can simpatice with the "stop people with just slecting skip, skip, skip" mentality, but on the other... come on, console players might be confused? I know there are people who never played a MMO before that might start with this one, but still, way to be patronizing.

Norua

Banned
Well, no Beta mail for me. Not surprised since I don't have the Legacy status, but I am still disappointed.

Any chance someone don't want to use their account for the Beta (I know, I know...)?

Some Questions.

I have bought ff14 when it first came out. However I didn't play much and only got to around level 35 (with the gaf LS). I couldn't stand the control mostly after playing wow for so many years, despite that I used to love ff11.

Anyways, fast forward to now, since I am classified as Legacy, I will get beta next Monday. I am kinda excited to see all the improvements.

However my grip is that, even though the whole realm reborn thing seems awesome story wise, I didn't see any real story going to level 35 during my play through. I am oblivious to the general story of 14. While I know that the world was ending, and (is it a cycle? the 6th time 7th time?) the heroes are sent back to a parallel universe of a different time?

Is there some where I can get more information on the whole story line so far and what I am expecting to see in the new game? The first FF14 was really not new player friendly as I had no idea what I was doing at first. Starting from character creation, choosing guardians and such had no good explanation. I did not know which guardian would be good for me (or if they have no real effect) if I wanted to play magic focused character.

Is FF14 ARR going to be better in term of not worry about missing out stuff and have a better explanation of everything for new players?

Also, what about client for this phase of beta and stuff? Do we download the whole thing some where? if so where?

Thanks

(via)
All would seem lost, as a few adventurers (the player & company) watch the world burn around them. A seemingly indifferent meteor approaches, until they are saved by Louisoix, who is attempting to create a shield. Unfortunately, the shield cannot withstand Bahamut, who menacingly approaches Louisoix. In a last ditch effort, he attempts to recreate Dalamud to imprison Bahamut with the power of the Twelve. All is for naught, however, as Bahamut simply breaks free and continues his reign of fire. With his dying breath, the Archon calls upon the power of Althyk to transport the adventurers into a rift of time and space, where they will be untouched by Bahamut's fury, until the time is safe for them to begin their struggle anew.

(via)
"Five years have passed since the "End of an Era," and the time has finally come for our adventurers to return to Eorzea."

All adventurers were simply sent ahead five years in time.

(via)
The elemental alignment of each Umbral Era is as follows:
  • The First Umbral Era of Wind. Marked the end of the divine era and the beginning of men's age.
  • The Second Umbral Era of Lightning.
  • The Third Umbral Era of Fire.
  • The Fourth Umbral Era of Earth - Destroyed the Allagan civilization.
  • The Fifth Umbral Era of Ice.
  • The Sixth Umbral Era of Water - Severe flooding caused the submersion and damage of many parts of Eorzea.

Whats depicted at the end of 1.0 is the Seventh Umbral Era of what appears to be a non-elemental (Bahamut). You could try poking around that wikia some more if you're looking for more lore. The honest truth is not much attention was paid to it before Yoshida came on board and his staff had to go back and add in, shift around, and morph up new stuff (for example, we still have no idea what the f$#k Ascians are other than they're related to not having shadows and are apparently srs bsns) to create content that would tie into the context of the servers going down. Also, here's the official summary of the events.

Jinko

Lucis I wouldn't worry too much about the story in 1.0, it should be explained in ARR if the dev team are to be believed, a new main scenario will be replaced, its basically going to be like starting a new game.

You should be in for a surprise on Monday thats all I will say :D

Midou

How do I know if the client is fully updated? Mine says something about ongoing maintenance, and I can't hit Play, is this correct? It did some near 7 gig update/install.

Ravidrath

How do I know if the client is fully updated? Mine says something about ongoing maintenance, and I can't hit Play, is this correct? It did some near 7 gig update/install.

Yeah, your client is updated, there just isn't an active server to connect to until Monday. So you're good to go.

Lucis

Is this client you guys are talking about the retail client? or another client? Where should i get it so I'll be ready?

2San

I have an extra beta code I'd like to give away, but I'm not sure how to go about it?
PM me the code. :p I want one since my bro gave me his(he wants to play, but only if he can play with me).
Is this client you guys are talking about the retail client? or another client? Where should i get it so I'll be ready?
Go to Beta forum->getting started-> test client download.

NinjaJesus

PM me the code. :p I want one since my bro gave me his(he wants to play, but only if he can play with me).

I kind of already know who I want to give it to. I'm just not sure if I could get into some shit for it.

It's a separate email, so I think I'm okay. Was just looking for feedback.

Lucis

Go to Beta forum->getting started-> test client download.

I hate to ask ><, where is this beta forum? Looking at the official english forum, I don't see a beta section.

I hate to ask ><, where is this beta forum? Looking at the official english forum, I don't see a beta section.

You should have gotten an email with your beta registration key from square enix. The page where they send you go to enter your code has a link to the forum.

Legacy status was given to people who paid for 3 months of service in 2012 (prior to sept/Oct of 2012). Playing the game at launch and then quitting does not give you legacy status.

If you got an email with a beta key, you should be good. If you didn't, you are not in the beta and won't have access to the beta forums.

Lucis

You should have gotten an email with your beta registration key from square enix. The page where they send you go to enter your code has a link to the forum.

Legacy status was given to people who paid for 3 months of service in 2012 (prior to sept/Oct of 2012). Playing the game at launch and then quitting does not give you legacy status.

If you got an email with a beta key, you should be good. If you didn't, you are not in the beta and won't have access to the beta forums.

Hmm it says I don't have access, does it mean only alpha people can download the client now?

On my account management it does show FFXIV: A Realm Reborn - Beta Test enabled on Feb 19

If it says that, then they should have sent you an email with a key.

You may want to contact support on the official forums and see if they can help.

New post from Mog Log:

Eliot Lefebvre said:
Can the game sustain a subscription model in a world of free-to-play? Before I would have said no. Now, I'm going out on a limb and saying... possibly. It's really something else, after all.

Oh, and because everyone's already sharing this? At maximum resolution and graphical settings, I scored 8673 on the benchmark. Slightly tweaking down the shadows and having long-distance objects at lower detail kicked my score up to 9609, and the shadows were only really notable when looking at the Aetheryte from above. So the game is just plain going to look better more consistently.

Lucis

If it says that, then they should have sent you an email with a key.

You may want to contact support on the official forums and see if they can help.

I figured it out!
I had to reactivate the FF14 account under accountmanagement with the Beta enabled.

I can see the forum now

TYTY gonna download

rbrogue

Ugh. I thought what Teknoman suggested last night would work, and it did but the last patch install failed. I repeated the same steps for the last 4 hours and it wouldn't get that far again. Nothing is working.

The only thing I have running in the background is Microsoft Security Essentials with Realtime Scanning disabled. Square-Enix forums say the specific errors i'm getting is due to the downloaded files being corrupt but how are they corrupt 20+ times in a row? I guess i'll uninstall MSE but does anyone have any other ideas? I don't know what else to do, I had less problems getting the 1.0 client to download successfully.

ForzaFerrari

Neo Member
Ok I am sorry going off topic but for some nights the FFXI nostalgia is too hard to handle. God I wish I could be back to the good old days..just for a little is fine

Jinko

Ugh. I thought what Teknoman suggested last night would work, and it did but the last patch install failed. I repeated the same steps for the last 4 hours and it wouldn't get that far again. Nothing is working.

The only thing I have running in the background is Microsoft Security Essentials with Realtime Scanning disabled. Square-Enix forums say the specific errors i'm getting is due to the downloaded files being corrupt but how are they corrupt 20+ times in a row? I guess i'll uninstall MSE but does anyone have any other ideas? I don't know what else to do, I had less problems getting the 1.0 client to download successfully.

I think there is a flaw in their downloader as I had this happen to me several times during Alpha but it finally downloaded, I didn't do anything besides delete the patch folder and restart the download.

No problems with Beta though.

Try downloading the patch folder using utorrent. (not sure if that's possible now though)

rbrogue

I think there is a flaw in their downloader as I had this happen to me several times during Alpha but it finally downloaded, I didn't do anything besides delete the patch folder and restart the download.

No problems with Beta though.

Try downloading the patch folder using utorrent. (not sure if that's possible now though)

Ironically I had no problem downloading the alpha at all. I did try deleting the patch folder but after it failed to get to patch "c" from "b" I assumed a full uninstall was necessary. I guess I'll keep trying that as well, but this is seriously hype deflating. Even worse thinking I might have to deal with this every patch...

And I don't think this client downloads torrents :/. I will keep trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom