• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravidrath

Not a fan?, Dynamis was fantastic, and early on was a bit of a challenge.

Keep in mind, I left before Abyssea caught on, so I have no concept of what Dynamis is like now.

It was fun for a while, but two 3-4 hour runs a week takes its toll. Especially with the original drop rate - we had two Red Mage hats drop in the span of a year, and that shit makes drama.

Really, though, I just don't think marathon 64-man raids are really all that practical in today's MMO space.

Also, I think a lot of people would be upset to see Square fall back on "lazy" stuff like churning out endless "alternate reality" versions of existing zones in XIV.

Credo

Keep in mind, I left before Abyssea caught on, so I have no concept of what Dynamis is like now.

It was fun for a while, but two 3-4 hour runs a week takes its toll. Especially with the original drop rate - we had two Red Mage hats drop in the span of a year, and that shit makes drama.

That's what makes me skittish about endgame activities. It ruined FFXI for me and led to me quitting the game permanently. I never got far enough in XIV 1.0 to see any of the high level content, so I don't know if it's of the same nature as FFXI or if it's different, though I would like to know.

LowParry

Also, I think a lot of people would be upset to see Square fall back on "lazy" stuff like churning out endless "alternate reality" versions of existing zones in XIV.

I wouldn't mind seeing a single player FF of Eorzea. Watching the Part 1 and 2 of the tours makes me all giddy to explore this world.

That's what makes me skittish about endgame activities. It ruined FFXI for me and led to me quitting the game permanently. I never got far enough in XIV 1.0 to see any of the high level content, so I don't know if it's of the same nature as FFXI or if it's different, though I would like to know.

I'm hoping they learned their lesson, especially after the screw up of a launch that XIV was.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
The first thing I will do when the game release is explore every place of Eorzea.

:)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
And, with any luck, you wont run into level 90 enemies close to a noob camp like 1.0 :p

That was the best part!

After all, how else are you supposed to make up your own end-game because the rest of the game is unfinished? heh

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/diary/entry?e=171597

0b4nRgTZ7HpqssOdgYuj0Svc3gxOjgoAKO54S570iQ.jpg

And, with any luck, you wont run into level 90 enemies close to a noob camp like 1.0 :p

Actually that isn't something I mind. I miss it in fact from most modern mmos. Everything being so segregated and separated that you will never once be in danger of being killed by something higher level if you follow the quest lines zone to zone. What ever happened to having to run though multiple zones you had no business being in to get to Jeuno at 20? Or even Wetlands to get to Ironforge as a NE in WoW? Or to know to stay the fuck away from the big wandering tentacle monster?

Actually that isn't something I mind. I miss it in fact from most modern mmos. Everything being so segregated and separated that you will never once be in danger of being killed by something higher level if you follow the quest lines zone to zone. What ever happened to having to run though multiple zones you had no business being in to get to Jeuno at 20? Or even Wetlands to get to Ironforge as a NE in WoW? Or to know to stay the fuck away from the big wandering tentacle monster?

I loved having to use sneak/invis getting through areas I shouldn't be in. Added a lot of tension. Now it sucked when you were an exp party and someone screwed up and got killed in an area where it was near impossible to raise them lol. (XI)

Ravidrath

I would say that XIV will be significantly different, endgame-wise.

XIV 1.0 had issues, mostly a lack of content. The drop rates for primal weapons was poor, too, but Yoshi-P seems to have a completely different philosophy about drop rates. But even with its problems, I think it was already on a better track than XI was, and 2.0 sounds like it will be a lot better still.

XIV 2.0 will have a designed endgame progression track instead of XI's lateral stuff, which I think will be more satisfying for people, too.

kiryogi

Banned

I do miss those days, but the mainstream/causal gamer today would cry so badly over it. I dear hope to god this game didn't lose all of it's identity.

Ravidrath

While some of the danger of XI was great, like the first trek to Jeuno, I'm OK leaving that behind.

I really don't want to return to the endless Sneak/Invis through EVERY SINGLE ZONE IN XI it turned into. You're supposed to be bad-ass heroes, yet we gingerly run everywhere afraid of normal mobs.

Jijidasu

Oh hey, we should all add each other on Lodestone. I wasn't on Sarg server but It'd be nice to keep in touch via Lodestone 2.0 when it goes up. I don't know how to link to my character :( but I'll follow those I see on Renta's page.

While some of the danger of XI was great, like the first trek to Jeuno, I'm OK leaving that behind.

I really don't want to return to the endless Sneak/Invis through EVERY SINGLE ZONE IN XI it turned into. You're supposed to be bad-ass heroes, yet we gingerly run everywhere afraid of normal mobs.

I think there can be somewhat of a happy medium. Having no danger ever and completely level segregated areas is boring, and having every single god damn mob be unkillable alone is annoying. Then there is the fact that sneak and invisible and all that jazz sucked hard. That was part a function of how bad skill and spell usage was in 11 though. Well dated may be a better word for it. It blew my mind when stuff like that started becoming togglable states in other games, instead of a spell that could wear off fast/had a time limit.

Ravidrath

I think there can be somewhat of a happy medium. Having no danger ever and completely level segregated areas is boring, and having every single god damn mob be unkillable alone is annoying. Then there is the fact that sneak and invisible and all that jazz sucked hard. That was part a function of how bad skill and spell usage was in 11 though. Well dated may be a better word for it. It blew my mind when stuff like that started becoming togglable states in other games, instead of a spell that could wear off fast/had a time limit.

They kind of tried to get this with the treants around the Moogle Fight, but I don't think it really worked.

While I agree it can be good, I think it's on a razor's edge and not worth the effort to get it right when they can do other, more overt things people will enjoy.

Ravidrath

The first thing I will do when the game release is explore every place of Eorzea.

:)

I'm excited to do this, too.

Based on the beta, the world is actually worth exploring now and has lots of cool stuff to see and unique little touches that the original game pretty much completely lacked.

Gromph

Staff Member
Looking for a coffe I just passed this

Also found a GTX580 for ¥19000 so I'm deciding to buy it and do SLI or upgrade to a 680.

Gromph

Staff Member
While I agree it can be good, I think it's on a razor's edge and not worth the effort to get it right when they can do other, more overt things people will enjoy.

Disagree big time there. It is one of the things that when done right, it shows, and lack of trying it at all shows another thing. That other thing is what kills off most mmorpgs. Lack of ongoing effort and care. Not willing to go the extra mile and put in the effort to make the gameworld as varied and immersive as possible. Not willing to put in the effort to make your game even as good as MMOs from a decade ago.

Don't really think it has such a narrow margin of where it can be good either. Every zone in 11 turned into "you can't do shit here alone". There is a ton of stuff you can shoot for below that before you hit "okay, follow the leveling path and you will never see something dangerous except in an instance". Just sayin.

Ravidrath

Disagree big time there. It is one of the things that when done right, it shows, and lack of trying it at all shows another thing. That other thing is what kills off most mmorpgs. Lack of ongoing effort and care. Not willing to go the extra mile and put in the effort to make the gameworld as varied and immersive as possible. Not willing to put in the effort to make your game even as good as MMOs from a decade ago.

Don't really think it has such a narrow margin of where it can be good either. Every zone in 11 turned into "you can't do shit here alone". There is a ton of stuff you can shoot for below that before you hit "okay, follow the leveling path and you will never see something dangerous except in an instance". Just sayin.

Maybe, I just think there are more overt things that more players will care about content-wise than the kind of subtle gradations you're talking about.

I do hope there's a variety of stuff, I just think this would be lost on most players whereas other things would have higher impact.

Alex

I don't exactly understand the class system in this, even after looking up. So, for example, I think I want to be a White Mage, like I was back in XI, so what do I have to do for that to be a reality, it's not just something you pick at character create, right?

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
I don't exactly understand the class system in this, even after looking up. So, for example, I think I want to be a White Mage, like I was back in XI, so what do I have to do for that to be a reality, it's not just something you pick at character create, right?

Get a wand and start doing white-magey stuff.

Oh wait you have to unlock it or something now by talking at the guild in ARR huh?

Ravidrath

You pick Conjurer at the start, and at Level 30 you'll unlock White Mage.

Teknoman

Decided to snag a used 10 ft HDMI from Gamestop while I wait on the monoprice cable just to check things out...but for some reason i'm getting some sort of crazy screen corruption. Either its the cable itself, or I just dont have things set right? Maybe I need to update my drivers...

EDIT: It was just a crappy cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom