• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZenaxPure

Haha, I'm pathetic ;_;

I wonder why it says that when I try to login to the lodestone.

The same thing happens to me but I was able to find my character just fine on there using the search tool, so he still exists.

I thought that I was perhaps using the wrong account, but, I did a password reset with the only email I actually use and then successfully logged in with the new password + account I thought was correct, so, that has to be my account. Not sure why it's telling me I don't have any characters. Unless you can have multiple accounts tied to 1 email or something....

To be honest though I just assumed it's because I haven't logged in for about a year now, I didn't really play in the last few months or anything.

Credo

I really need to get my brain checked because I thought I remembered being a lancer, but apparently I never even leveled it. Has it been THAT long!?

kiryogi

Banned
Agree, I mean the trouble we had getting 10 people together at one time, I think 64 would be near impossible.

Will need a lot of dedicated players to tackle the end game stuff in ARR I reckon, glad I won't have to arrange that :p
Nope! That'd be up to me Ravi and omelet.

Teknoman

Well keep in mind the stuff in XIV 1.0 burnt alot of people out, so that probably had something to do with the turn out as well.

LowParry

When would people consider a good time frame to start end game? 2 - 4 months? I know people have their own pace of playing and time but with guilds of the past I've joined, they toss out expectations of when to start end game.

kiryogi

Banned
Well keep in mind the stuff in XIV 1.0 burnt alot of people out, so that probably had something to do with the turn out as well.

Realistically, the reason for the frame of my mindset with how I would have handled NeoBelieve has to do with not just 1.x membership (or lack of), but also how Neogaf guilds are in general in other mmos. It only served to compile into an even more massive hassle with e lack of proper tools to manage a link shell.

Teknoman

Well yeah, its always best when doing ANYTHING with GAF to have a good mix of GAF and non- GAF people that you met in game/ friends and family.

Either way, I cant wait to see how companies are handled, and how the story will tie into unlocking Crystal Tower, Great labyrinth of Bahamut, and whatever else they have planned. I also hope they have story missions at a regular interval that actually keeps progression smooth.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Even before then, it was still a crapshoot. Most of the time we were coordinating with others anyway.

When we did our (server second? Third? I don't remember) Batraal clear, it was with a mix of people from different LSes, and even the members from our LS weren't even from GAF :p

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/diary/entry?e=214691#comments
0b7sEBe6woT1H7mzp-obwHbCVX7QnmEAMEysegaye4.jpg
Most recruits from GAF itself didn't bother to stick around for more than a month, aside from the cool ones ;)

demonkaze

I'm looking forward to getting involved with GAF again (Astraer Lavia). Back in 1.0 i always struggled to find enough time to do events but I did finally manage to at least get whm 50 before the end thanks to some of you guys in the LS.

Teknoman

dat final boss theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi-PTm9kMaU

ffxiv-patch-123-banner.jpg

Nael Deus Darnus hopefully stays as the main bad guy for vanilla xiv. Reminds me of a Golbez / Kefka mix.

What else has Soken composed, because like Mizuta, i'd like to hear more from him outside FF in the future.

Also please stop counting cutscene time as time spent during the battle. Seriously, nothing worse than having to watch a cutscene later /skipping in the heat of the story. Takes all the impact out of it.

Ravidrath

When would people consider a good time frame to start end game? 2 - 4 months? I know people have their own pace of playing and time but with guilds of the past I've joined, they toss out expectations of when to start end game.

It's hard to say, given that we haven't really played 2.0 yet. Really it's just a matter of when you feel that you're done leveling things and want to focus on it.

Depending on what job you want to play, keep in mind that you're likely going to need to level three classes to truly be ready, as well invest some time gearing up.

Leveling seems pretty fast in 2.0, though, and the LS and I can help with the gear part, at least.

But then there are also unknowable things like story quests, chocobo raising, etc. that might extend it a bit.

Some ideas about starting a new GAF Free Company (non Sargatanas) for new players or existing players that want to start fresh on a new server with an entirely clean slate and everyone on equal footing:

Phase 1: Wait for more information on Worlds and Free Companies
Phase 2: Choose World - Ideally a new world based in the NA region
Phase 3: Choose Name - 'Gathered Against Fate' seems to be the most popular
Phase 4: Choose/Organize leadership - Me (?) + other trusted GAF members that are interested and can dedicate the time. Will need to be able to review and manage memberships, company, policies, website/planning, etc.
Phase 5: Setup site, register members, organize members, determine ranks, create/form policies, etc.

The idea is for the company to be a mixture of both casual and active dedicated or hard core players. GAF members will be at its core but friends and family of those GAF members are welcome. Non-GAF members will be able to get invited into the guild if vouched for by other members. This will probably be dependent on turnout but we as a group would need to decide if we want to allow an open application/membership policy. We will definitely want to recruit outside of GAF to ensure that the company has strong membership and participation.

Riposte

Anyone here really good at making gifs? I need one based on the "New Beginning" trailer/intro, covering specific scenes within it. I want it big, high quality, and smoothly animated, really eye-catching. This is for the OT.

EDIT: Speaking of music, if you had to pick one track from 1.0 to represent that era of the game, what would it be?

EDIT: Hmm, is ARR on sale anywhere than Amazon and SE store? Collecting icons of stores. EDIT: Gamestop, duh.

LowParry

It's hard to say, given that we haven't really played 2.0 yet. Really it's just a matter of when you feel that you're done leveling things and want to focus on it.

Depending on what job you want to play, keep in mind that you're likely going to need to level three classes to truly be ready, as well invest some time gearing up.

Leveling seems pretty fast in 2.0, though, and the LS and I can help with the gear part, at least.

But then there are also unknowable things like story quests, chocobo raising, etc. that might extend it a bit.

True. Just that my history consist of the last real guild I've raided with was probably 2 - 3 years ago in WoW. 3 nights a week of progression. I think a lot of the players were feeling that fatigue after each expansion. But then we fell for the SWTOR hype and man, as fun as that really was, we lost contact with a lot of the players. There's maybe a few left me and my friends speak and only two continuously hang out on Mumble and play games with us. We've tried the 5 man route with MMOs of the past. TERA we had a lot of fun with but we ended up being short on people and our experiences with PUGs in that game is not very pleasing. I've brought up with them that we could always join up with GAF but never really happened.

So currently we're playing around with Rift until XIV comes out and after a couple of weeks of convincing, I think I got most people on board with the fact that hey, we really need to get ourselves involved with a guild and meet some new people. The Red Dot talk has me interested but in the end, we're really wanting to be part of a guild that's going to make it's progression and get everyone to that awesome end game. For me I've made the mistake with my group of not taking up the Tank roll and with XIV, I can do more than just that. Tank. Support. Deeps. Melt faces. Ya know.

But in any case, we've sort of thrown ourselves in this MMO limbo of state and I think we're all getting fed up with it. We used to be that semi-hardcore group that either help support our progression or hell, even helped other people on the server and made some awesome friends. I'm hoping we can do the same with what goes on here in GAF. You'll have some good dedicated player (myself included of course). I'm just real hungry to play the game.

Teknoman

Anyone here really good at making gifs? I need one based on the "New Beginning" trailer/intro, covering specific scenes within it. I want it big, high quality, and smoothly animated, really eye-catching. This is for the OT.

EDIT: Speaking of music, if you had to pick one track from 1.0 to represent that era of the game, what would it be?

EDIT: Hmm, is ARR on sale anywhere than Amazon and SE store? Collecting icons of stores.

Limsa will forever be the theme of XIV 1.0 for me. It was cemented in my head from the first reveal trailer. I was so insanely hyped for the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puOiYZE7B1w

I mean everyone was hyped before the online appeared

Ravidrath

My profile:

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/character/status?cicuid=11395621

True. Just that my history consist of the last real guild I've raided with was probably 2 - 3 years ago in WoW. 3 nights a week of progression. I think a lot of the players were feeling that fatigue after each expansion. But then we fell for the SWTOR hype and man, as fun as that really was, we lost contact with a lot of the players. There's maybe a few left me and my friends speak and only two continuously hang out on Mumble and play games with us. We've tried the 5 man route with MMOs of the past. TERA we had a lot of fun with but we ended up being short on people and our experiences with PUGs in that game is not very pleasing. I've brought up with them that we could always join up with GAF but never really happened.

So currently we're playing around with Rift until XIV comes out and after a couple of weeks of convincing, I think I got most people on board with the fact that hey, we really need to get ourselves involved with a guild and meet some new people. The Red Dot talk has me interested but in the end, we're really wanting to be part of a guild that's going to make it's progression and get everyone to that awesome end game. For me I've made the mistake with my group of not taking up the Tank roll and with XIV, I can do more than just that. Tank. Support. Deeps. Melt faces. Ya know.

But in any case, we've sort of thrown ourselves in this MMO limbo of state and I think we're all getting fed up with it. We used to be that semi-hardcore group that either help support our progression or hell, even helped other people on the server and made some awesome friends. I'm hoping we can do the same with what goes on here in GAF. You'll have some good dedicated player (myself included of course). I'm just real hungry to play the game.

Marry me.

kiryogi

Banned
Urgh why do we have to be server segregated. I was hoping with ARR that all or most of GAF would unite under one. I guess that doesn't apply to legacy server folks but still.

KePoW

Banned
I don't know if this is the correct thread to ask, but what exactly is included in the Digital Collector's Edition (the one for $49.99)?

It's not really clear on the official website... does it come with the artbook, soundtrack, movie content?

Teknoman

Urgh why do we have to be server segregated. I was hoping with ARR that all or most of GAF would unite under one. I guess that doesn't apply to legacy server folks but still.

You and me both. Legacy characters shouldnt have to worry about participating with others on an even level early on either, what with level sync. Besides, we'll still have to do early story missions...and I bet those will end up being level capped. Either that, or we'll end up blitzing through the early stuff when not synced or capped...or with an unleveled job.

kiryogi

Banned
lol - but no seriously, this whole Legacy to new players thing is a bit confusing. Why can't everyone just play on the same server or whatever.
New players wanting an untainted fresh server experience. Which I can't blame them but still frustrating .

Maybe we should push that the cool kids play on Sargatanas.

Teknoman

lol - but no seriously, this whole Legacy to new players thing is a bit confusing. Why can't everyone just play on the same server or whatever.

I think new players have the option to go wherever. Legacy players can go wherever too BUT, they can only use existing 1.0 characters on Legacy servers.

Some people think that a legacy server with legacy characters will have a wacky economy or everything will be high priced off the bat since people will most likely have a decent amount of gil day 1.

LowParry

Ah the economy. That's a pretty good point. So I suppose the question comes to mind is (and this goes either way), who (that is Legacy) willing to start fresh and new on a new server or who is willing to join a Legacy server and hope for no price hikes from the get go. That's a pretty rough decision.

Some people think that a legacy server with legacy characters will have a wacky economy or everything will be high priced off the bat since people will most likely have a decent amount of gil day 1.

Everyone who really thinks about it realizes that.

The other way people could think of it though is starting a mmo that has been in progress for a while. Which it kind of is. Problem is that a majority of people will be starting just the same driving up all the prices of the same stuff that you want, and is in ready supply from higher levels that can already craft/farm/gather the items. Thus further giving them a stranglehold on the economy from that initial burst.

Basically if you are a new player who doesn't have connections it would be dumb to start on a legacy server. Would also be unfair for a new player to assume they can leach off of an established character to get them on more even footing.

Ravidrath

Basically if you are a new player who doesn't have connections it would be dumb to start on a legacy server.

But everyone here has connections to established, high-level players.

I don't think that starting on a fresh server will have much of an impact on anyone in the long run - it might matter for a few months, but after that they'll all reach their own equilibrium.

It just doesn't take that long to level any of the classes, and established players are going to destroy a TON of gil buying houses as soon as the game starts up, too.

...Not to mention that we're coming back with 1/10th the gil we had at the end of 1.0, we don't know what will be valuable with the new crafting recipes, materials, items, etc.

Hell, prices could be CHEAPER on Legacy servers because they have a stock of old materials to burn through. From what I've seen of 2.0 so far, the monster item drop rate seems quite a bit lower, for example. And if that applies to gathering stuff, too, it could turn out that Legacy servers have a glut of certain mats that are harder to come by in 2.0.

Jinko

Well tbh I am sure many of the GAF legacy players will help the new guys out even if prices are hicked up.

I quite enjoy crafting and gathering.

You'd be surprised just how fast prices come down also with undercutting.

LowParry

Hmm. I guess it won't be that bad after all joining up on a Legacy server. However I wonder how population numbers will come into play.

Ravidrath

Well tbh I am sure many of the GAF legacy players will help the new guys out even if prices are hicked up.

Yeah, people here can certainly attest that I was on everyone's case about gear and making stuff for them whenever possible, completely free.

Ah the economy. That's a pretty good point. So I suppose the question comes to mind is (and this goes either way), who (that is Legacy) willing to start fresh and new on a new server or who is willing to join a Legacy server and hope for no price hikes from the get go. That's a pretty rough decision.

I think people are too worried about the economy in Legacy servers, but the true is we don't exactly know how is gonna affect prices. First there aren't that much many Legacy players that will be filth rich after their money got divided by 10. And probably things that will get affected by inflation will be housing and all the new stuff like that.

The worst case scenario is that the first months will be pretty bad but the economy will normalize after that, and probably the dev team won't leat things go too far either way.

You'd be surprised just how fast prices come down also with undercutting.

Also this.

kiryogi

Banned
Hmm. I guess it won't be that bad after all joining up on a Legacy server. However I wonder how population numbers will come into play.
Sargatanas was pretty healthy and we saw a lot of returning plays on beta. You can be sure that it'll be decently populated.

I echo Ravidrath sentiment. We have tons of crafter sor high level folks that are willing to give a helping hand (myself included) to the new incoming folks. We've been doing that since 1.x and that won't change, as you can see from testimonies up above.

Teknoman

I'll say. Everytime I mentioned needing a new sword or complaining about something not being on the market, someone would make it for me or at least if I supplied them with the right materials.

desu

Yeah, people here can certainly attest that I was on everyone's case about gear and making stuff for them whenever possible, completely free.

This so much! Got my first stuff made by you :).

Quite a few people have at least one maxed crafter, possibly even more. And making stuff didn't really take long or was really expensive either. Also people that care for Luminary tools always have an reason to craft for others :D (if the requirements stay the same), and I could imagine that with the new craft system people might just experiment a lot to see how the new system works.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
I don't blame you guys for wanting to start on a fresh server for new players but I don't think starting with us in Sargatanas will be as bad as you think either. It will probably even out after a bit anyway and you guys will have lots of support from established players to start off with.

That's all I really want to do personally anyway. I had the most fun playing 14 when I could just craft for LS members. I'm not much into the endgame stuff.

But everyone here has connections to established, high-level players.

I don't think that starting on a fresh server will have much of an impact on anyone in the long run - it might matter for a few months, but after that they'll all reach their own equilibrium.

It just doesn't take that long to level any of the classes, and established players are going to destroy a TON of gil buying houses as soon as the game starts up, too. Not to mention that we're coming back with 1/10th the gil we had at the end of 1.0.

Everything costs 1/10 the price as well. You don't actually lose any gil. Also the first few months can make or break a game experience for new players. How many gaf players do you think dropped off the world after a month of 1.0? Or any other mmorpg that has been talked about here?

Like I said, it isn't really fair for someone like me, who has never played with any of you, to expect free gear and help with stuff when you all will have your own stuff to take care of. But the choice very well may be to accept/seek out that help or deal with being disadvantaged to players that will have it.

Listen. I'm not trying to persuade legacy players to start on a new server, or turn people with actual friends playing on legacy servers away. Just pointing out the very real in game economy problems that can occur based on my experience with a number of other mmos and a knowledge of the general jerkness of a majority of the people that play them.

Edit: Another problem will be server location. Anyone know where this "Sargatanas" server will be? Just going for beta so far, latency is a big problem for melee, and will be in any fight with moving mobs. Honestly this will be a bigger problem then the economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom