• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xux

I don't exactly understand the class system in this, even after looking up. So, for example, I think I want to be a White Mage, like I was back in XI, so what do I have to do for that to be a reality, it's not just something you pick at character create, right?
You'd have to get Conjurer to 30, Gladiator to 15, and White Mage could only use abilities from Gladiator and Pugilist so you'd wanna level those up, too.

Here's official links on Classes and Abilities:

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/guide/armoury01.html
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/guide/action01.html

Zozobra

I was pretty sure I wanted to play a Bard originally, but after seeing the abilities video I'm not so sure. Looks like it might be a bit too ranged-DD for my liking

I'm most interested in playing a support role, is Scholar meant to be closer to that sort of thing? I'm really not familiar with the class.

Ravidrath

I was pretty sure I wanted to play a Bard originally, but after seeing the abilities video I'm not so sure. Looks like it might be a bit too ranged-DD for my liking

I'm most interested in playing a support role, is Scholar meant to be closer to that sort of thing? I'm really not familiar with the class.

No one really knows anything about Scholar, at this point, and we won't until E3.

My speculation is that it will primarily be a DoT / Debuff class.

Both Summoner and Scholar come from Arcanist, and Arcanist has DoT spells and the Carbuncle summon. So I think it would follow that Scholar would focus on the DoT/Debuff side of things, since obviously Summoner focuses on the summoning side of things.

Xux

Every battle class had a bit of damage dealing. White Mage and Bard had support stuff but also had a bit of damage dealing. We know next to nothing about Scholar but, from unfinished leaks, it's class, Arcanist, had DoT and Debuff stuff. Summoner, Arcanist's first Job, gains more summons, including a couple to replace the two Carbuncle forms, but we have no idea what summons actually do in battle or how they work at all.

Ravidrath

Every battle class had a bit of damage dealing. White Mage and Bard had support stuff but also had a bit of damage dealing. We know next to nothing about Scholar but, from unfinished leaks, it's class, Arcanist, had DoT and Debuff stuff. Summoner, Arcanist's first Job, gains more summons, including a couple to replace the two Carbuncle forms, but we have no idea what summons actually do in battle or how they work at all.

I think they have said that different summons would work in different ways, so I could see some of them being support-oriented.

So for example Titan could be more tank oriented, Carbuncle more healing oriented, etc.

Would archer be an alright class to start off? Are the arrows and such expensive in the beginning?

Yeah, archer is alright and pretty strightforward to use if you want that. And you're lucky since you don't have to buy arrows anymore. Or at least normal arrows are infinite.

Xux

I think they have said that different summons would work in different ways, so I could see some of them being support-oriented.

So for example Titan could be more tank oriented, Carbuncle more healing oriented, etc.
Yeah, the leak list had Titan replace Carbuncle's Diamond/tank form but I dunno how they actual work. Arcanist or Summoner didn't have any summon related attack abilities, just some healing, a Cover ability, and an ultimate attack/buff mixed in with their DoT and Debuffs. I'm guessing the summon just fights alongside you and does stuff to compliment whatever action you do kinda like the FFXI Dragoon's Wyvern.

ZenaxPure

They got rid of arrows entirely - archer bows just have unlimited arrows, so don't need to worry about that.

That is the best thing I've read all day. I haven't been following the beta much (since I don't really follow betas) but I spent most of my time playing an archer in the original game and arrows annoyed the crap out of me.

Though I guess it's sort of a moot point for me because I plan on focusing on a melee class in ARR, to start with at least.

redhot_

They got rid of arrows entirely - archer bows just have unlimited arrows, so don't need to worry about that.

Yeah, archer is alright and pretty strightforward to use if you want that. And you're lucky since you don't have to buy arrows anymore. Or at least normal arrows are infinite.

No way! haha well that answers that. RNG was I think my 4th to level in FFXI and was my fav. Can't wait to dive back in.

Ravidrath

Yeah, the leak list had Titan replace Carbuncle's Diamond/tank form but I dunno how they actual work. Arcanist or Summoner didn't have any summon related attack abilities, just some healing, a Cover ability, and an ultimate attack/buff mixed in with their DoT and Debuffs. I'm guessing the summon just fights alongside you and does stuff to compliment whatever action you do kinda like the FFXI Dragoon's Wyvern.

I could see each having, like, one support and attack in addition to their super.

Definitely don't expect something like XI where every summon has like 10 abilities - at most, I would expect that the abilities could get better or replaced with better versions.

Ravidrath

Not for me. Just thinking about it is a bit of a buzz kill.

We'll see how it turns out, but XI's lateral shit was a by-product of the gear-swapping. And I really hated that I had to do ALL THIS STUFF to put together a decent set of armor for one spell, etc.

So having progression means that you might actually get to FINISH content and move onto something new, rather than doing the same thing for years on end.

Vashetti

Banned
I don't exactly understand the class system in this, even after looking up. So, for example, I think I want to be a White Mage, like I was back in XI, so what do I have to do for that to be a reality, it's not just something you pick at character create, right?

You pick Conjurer at the start, and at Level 30 you'll unlock White Mage.

Ha, thanks for answering the question I felt too stupid to ask :p

Ravidrath

Ha, thanks for answering the question I felt too stupid to ask :p

You shouldn't, because it's confusing. :p

Classes: Flexible, solo-oriented
Jobs: Less flexible, party-oriented, strong abilities​

Classes can equip a wide array of abilities from any other class. So if you're out soloing as a damage dealing class, for example, you may want to throw some healing spells on to help your survivability and reduce downtime.

Jobs can equip abilities from a subset of other classes that complement their intended function, and also get the Job Abilities with enhance their main function. So while Conjurer gets Cure, only White Mage gets Regen and Esuna, which are essential party healing abilities.

Jinko

Really, though, I just don't think marathon 64-man raids are really all that practical in today's MMO space.

Agree, I mean the trouble we had getting 10 people together at one time, I think 64 would be near impossible.

Will need a lot of dedicated players to tackle the end game stuff in ARR I reckon, glad I won't have to arrange that :p

That's a bit convoluted! Is it a terribly long road just to get playing on the job I'd want?

Not really, for the most part classes play pretty much the same as jobs except for a few extra abilities and restrictions.

CNJ is a healer, WHM is just a better healer.

Riposte

We'll see how it turns out, but XI's lateral shit was a by-product of the gear-swapping. And I really hated that I had to do ALL THIS STUFF to put together a decent set of armor for one spell, etc.

So having progression means that you might actually get to FINISH content and move onto something new, rather than doing the same thing for years on end.

I think maximizing multiple gear sets always felt like squeezing out smaller efficiencies (relatively speaking) here and there. Once you had a good general set for 75, you were good to go on most content and then spent most of your time increasing damage or speed over several situations (especially once you had a slightly less generalized "Weapon skill" set mostly completed). Only downright stupid things were huge upgrades (and often enough you could contribute that to the game becoming downright stupid with zerg rushes). Aside from half of the elemental staves (which isn't actual endgame gear), it wasn't like you weren't decent if you didn't have specialized gear for everything. Not quite the case if you are whole "tiers" behind. Gear checks were less likely to be a thing in FFXI (and when they were it was sometimes a player created one due to trying to down the boss in 2 minutes).

I like the idea of content never being "finished" or at least only being slightly redundant at worst. That's not to say I'm pro "bad drop rates", which is partially the reason why you were never done with anything. The idea that FFXI's endgame consisting of a dozen different events (although not of equal importance) was always a positive in my book. Variety is the spice of life (and to a lesser extent you may be able to apply this to gear). It doesn't quite work out as one would hope thanks to drop rates and other unnecessary barriers/time eaters combined with people wanting to be slaves and not adventurers in MMOs, but it is way more appealing to me than being funneled down a path, with finished content being trivialized (more so with expansions upon expansions).

Both methods are designed to keep the player playing for longer than they have good reason to, but my preference lies in the one where you always have something to do or at least something different to do. I'm biased because I rather do everything than do the things which are deemed most "rewarding". I'm also biased because there is less pressure to do endgame events if there are fewer gear checks (upon gear checks).

I will say though that without gear switching (and without elemental specialization on top of that), you don't have a lot of room for specialized gear. You are basically left with trying to obtain the single best overall piece of gear and maybe one or two alternatives for extremely common situations at the very most (probably high eva and low eva lol). So what room is there for multiple events around the same "tier"? What about crafting vs end-game events? Never felt like XIV had to have gear switching, but I can see how getting rid of it can negatively affect content.

Jinko

I am more interested in story driven progress over gear, things like lock outs on dungeons where you have to reach a certain story point to unlock them.

That being said I would probably prefer the tier based system over what FFXI had to offer, FFXI always felt like 2 steps forward and 1 step back.

Really glad they also cleared up that you won't be able to switch armour when you are on the hate list.

So I realized something the other day--

if XIV:ARR comes to PS4, and PS4 mandates Vita Remote Play support for every game that doesn't use the camera, I wonder how S-E is going to handle that.

please be excited

I just logged into the lodestone and got:
There are no characters on this FINAL FANTASY XIV service account. Use of the Lodestone requires an account with at least one character.

I assume this is b/c I stopped playing for a while before the end? Is my character gone D:?

Riposte

Any site cover cutscenes other than this one? http://www.finalfantasyxivcutscenes.com/ (Youtube playlists are acceptable, as long as they are not hidden or w/e).

I'm hoping the "Dalamud" story outside of Immortal Flames could be covered.

EDIT: Job quests too.

EDIT: Does anyone have the fall drawing of Yoshi-P used for live letters?

Is the Lodestone website the best place to educate oneself on the game in general? The ARR release will be my first time playing a Final Fantasy MMO so I'm just trying to gain an understanding. Lodestone seems pretty good so far.

Is the Lodestone website the best place to educate oneself on the game in general? The ARR release will be my first time playing a Final Fantasy MMO so I'm just trying to gain an understanding. Lodestone seems pretty good so far.

Not really. Once you start playing the game you may find 90% of that info useless, since the game is basically a new game. I'll wait until the new lodestone goes online sometime between phase 3 or phase 4. Probably the biggest similarity is how the job/class system works but that's probably all.

Munba

EDIT: Does anyone have the fall drawing of Yoshi-P used for live letters?

You mean ths?

FFXIV_New_Year_Yoshida.jpg

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Haha, I'm pathetic ;_;

I wonder why it says that when I try to login to the lodestone.

edit: I only got my MRD to 40 D:. Thought I had gotten it to 45, ah well

Hmm that is strange. You only ever made one account? Not logging into another one?

Not really. Once you start playing the game you may find 90% of that info useless, since the game is basically a new game. I'll wait until the new lodestone goes online sometime between phase 3 or phase 4. Probably the biggest similarity is how the job/class system works but that's probably all.

OK, thanks. Time to play the waiting game then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom