• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinko

I don't blame you guys for wanting to start on a fresh server for new players but I don't think starting with us in Sargatanas will be as bad as you think either. It will probably even out after a bit anyway and you guys will have lots of support from established players to start off with.

That's all I really want to do personally anyway. I had the most fun playing 14 when I could just craft for LS members. I'm not much into the endgame stuff.

Don't worry Dega ARR will have end game for crafters too lol.

Azrael

Well, I preordered the PS3 Collector's Edition. I plan to play most of the time on PC, but I don't need a second PC copy to play on the PC, so it made more sense to get it on PS3. I think I'm going to go male Miqote Arcanist this time around.

But everyone here has connections to established, high-level players.

I don't think that starting on a fresh server will have much of an impact on anyone in the long run - it might matter for a few months, but after that they'll all reach their own equilibrium.

It just doesn't take that long to level any of the classes, and established players are going to destroy a TON of gil buying houses as soon as the game starts up, too.

...Not to mention that we're coming back with 1/10th the gil we had at the end of 1.0, we don't know what will be valuable with the new crafting recipes, materials, items, etc.

Hell, prices could be CHEAPER on Legacy servers because they have a stock of old materials to burn through. From what I've seen of 2.0 so far, the monster item drop rate seems quite a bit lower, for example. And if that applies to gathering stuff, too, it could turn out that Legacy servers have a glut of certain mats that are harder to come by in 2.0.

The entire economy was reset so I was under the impression that value should be the same.

Mature

Yeah, people here can certainly attest that I was on everyone's case about gear and making stuff for them whenever possible, completely free.
He would berate us if our accessories were poor :(... But then he would make us new ones!

If it ends up being streamlined a bit like they say, I plan to help with crafting this time around. I'll probably start with Leatherworking and Weaving.

I just hope fishing isn't boring/useless.

Jinko

Everything costs 1/10 the price as well. You don't actually lose any gil. Also the first few months can make or break a game experience for new players. How many gaf players do you think dropped off the world after a month of 1.0? Or any other mmorpg that has been talked about here?

It's GAF, 80% will quit after the first free month.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis

That brings up something else too. I suppose the chances of people sticking around would be greater on Sargatanas then the new server LS. It would suck to have lots of players leave that new server LS after the first month or two and leaving lots of gaffers on there own like what happened in 1.0. That may not happen this time around though so I guess it's a bit too early to say.

Who knows.

kiryogi

Banned
Well that's what I said earlier but not as blunt lol. So yeah.... The reality of playing with GAF is that, but as you said there is creme to be found. It's not so much quality were looking for but more so retention. We just want to play with a solid folks that's neither too serious or too causal. That is Red Dot.

And from what I've seen, I was know there's experienced XI players or those that will stick around after the first month.

suzu

I wouldn't mind playing on the legacy server.

Tbh, I just want to play with people who are nice/helpful, not too hardcore, and won't quit the game in like a month or so. :)

Baleoce

Well, I preordered the PS3 Collector's Edition. I plan to play most of the time on PC, but I don't need a second PC copy to play on the PC, so it made more sense to get it on PS3. I think I'm going to go male Miqote Arcanist this time around.

Hmmm you know what. You make an incredibly good point. I own FFXIV v1.0. Should I be buying the PS3 collectors edition in that case? (I own a PS3). Just to cover both platforms?

Would I be able to register 2 different copies of XIV to the same SE account? Or would I have to make a different SE account?

Riposte

Hmm, what wiki do you think I can bet on to be good and ready for ARR?

EDIT: Since it isn't there, we know this isn't launching on Steam?

MMO GAF does have a history of ditching games that require any kind of long term commitment. That said, FFXIV 1.0 was a terrible, absolutely horrible, excuse for a game. Hopefully retention will be much better if Square Enix delivers a solid game this time around.

The majority of new players will not want to start on a legacy server, and I feel like being on a non-legacy server will greatly improve our chances for survival or at least give remaining players a lot of options if things don't work out. I'm far from being a 'new' player, spent countless hours in the original game, and have Legacy status on my account, but I still want to play on a new server. I don't want to deal with the majority of the Legacy community which is bad enough to deal with in the official forums. I want to play on a regional server with good connectivity and response times (who knows what will happen with the Legacy servers but I suspect they will remain on data centers in Japan). Lastly and most importantly, I just want to play on a server with an entirely clean slate and a player base and community that starts on completely equal footing.

Whatever the majority of GAF decides is up to GAF, but I have offered to start a new Free Company on a fresh server for those that are interested. I'll be just as happy rolling solo and finding another group to play with if things don't work out.

LowParry

I think joining a Legacy server won't be bad. Granted, there will be people out there that will try to abuse the AH but I think as a community, we can get past that to the point where in time, the economy will settle out. Whatever people decide, I'll gladly accept.

androidcandy

Neo Member
I would love to play with GAF, but I really dont want to play on a legacy server for different reasons. Mostly I just want a fresh experience with a nice mix of experienced and non-experienced players. I feel like most of the new players are not gonna be on the legacy servers, and I didn't really play with GAF in 1.0 because I wasn't on the right server. So I don't really have any connections or anything, and I hate for us to be segregated or whatever, but I would like to have a GAF guild to play with that's not gonna be on a legacy server. I plan on making this my main game so I will be playing a lot if I can, and it would be nice to have Gaffers to play with, so my point is if some one wants to start a new LS on a fresh server I am game, but if you want to play on the legacy server that's cool to. It's just nice to have the option for people that want it.

Hmmm you know what. You make an incredibly good point. I own FFXIV v1.0. Should I be buying the PS3 collectors edition in that case? (I own a PS3). Just to cover both platforms?

Would I be able to register 2 different copies of XIV to the same SE account? Or would I have to make a different SE account?

You can register one copy of each platform in a Square Account.

I'm thinking about going Black Mage Lalafell, but I don't see mentioned anywhere about race advantages/abilities. Are there any?

MMO GAF does have a history of ditching games that require any kind of long term commitment. That said, FFXIV 1.0 was a terrible, absolutely horrible, excuse for a game. Hopefully retention will be much better if Square Enix delivers a solid game this time around.

The majority of new players will not want to start on a legacy server, and I feel like being on a non-legacy server will greatly improve our chances for survival or at least give remaining players a lot of options if things don't work out. I'm far from being a 'new' player, spent countless hours in the original game, and have Legacy status on my account, but I still want to play on a new server. I don't want to deal with the majority of the Legacy community which is bad enough to deal with in the official forums. I want to play on a regional server with good connectivity and response times (who knows what will happen with the Legacy servers but I suspect they will remain on data centers in Japan). Lastly and most importantly, I just want to play on a server with an entirely clean slate and a player base and community that starts on completely equal footing.

Whatever the majority of GAF decides is up to GAF, but I have offered to start a new Free Company on a fresh server for those that are interested. I'll be just as happy rolling solo and finding another group to play with if things don't work out.

It's not only gaf really. Like every forum that has a group together to go play mmos normally ends up losing a lot after the first month.

Bolded part is another major issue that I didn't want to touch on. You all may be good or cool or whatever, but I wouldn't and don't trust the same of other legacy players. The same people that I haven't been on the official forums since like the second beta test because of. Baked in drama and elitism is fairly normal for a mmorpg though I guess. Latency still remains the biggest thing for picking my server.

I've been a DD for life in every mmorpg that I've played. Because of that I've had to deal with and am use to having to get things done on my own and waiting longer times to get into groups. Guess that is also why I am not too afraid of starting on my own even when there is a large group of people that I could go with. Just saying all this to explain that it may not be for everyone, and I'm not trying to persuade people to abandon friends on legacy servers. Just pointing out possible negatives.

Aeana

I was told that a Steam release is unlikely a while ago. I don't know if plans changed or not though.

Elitism is a norm in MMO. ARR won't be free of it on any server.

C'mon XIV had like 100k subcribers (and that's being generous) and how many of them posted on the forums?. The game is suposed to have a new influx of players that would make for the majority of the userbase.

The game is no longer a steam pile of shit so chances that all kind of players keep playing after the few months are high.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
LS Name Suggestions:

Gathered Against Fate - 14 votes - Winner
NEorzea - 3 votes
gooey autistic fireworks - 2 votes
Goobbue and Friends - 1 vote
Believe Reborn
Greater Aldenard Formation
Giggling At Farts
Garlean Attack Force
Garlean Annihilation Force
Dinosaur Adventure
Jinko's Slaves
Gaming Age Force
Great Amicable Friends
Galactic Action Fart
Goobbues and Funguars
Giant Anal Fissure
Gasbags and funbags
Grand Aether Federation

Elitism is a norm in MMO. ARR won't be free of it on any server.

C'mon XIV had like 100k subcribers (and that's being generous) and how many of them posted on the forums?. The game is suposed to have a new influx of players that would make for the majority of the userbase.

The game is no longer a steam pile of shit so chances that all kind of players keep playing after the few months are high.

That's being extremely generous and I'm fairly confident that the majority of that new influx of players are not going to want to play on Legacy servers. Most people will probably avoid them for having a Legacy moniker alone, not knowing anything about them.

Like theSlacker said, I'm not trying to tell people to abandon their characters or friends on Legacy servers. I'm just giving people in a similar situation like myself the option to play with other like minded players.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Like I said, it isn't really fair for someone like me, who has never played with any of you, to expect free gear and help with stuff when you all will have your own stuff to take care of.
Judging by everyone's behavior in 1.0, this was not an issue.

lol, yeah. If the game still isn't good, then I'd expect a big exodus again.

LS Name Suggestions:

Gathered Against Fate - 4 votes
NEorzea - 3 votes (maybe 4? omlet you liked this one?)
Believe Reborn
Giggling At Farts
Garlean Attack Force
Dinosaur Adventure
Jinko's Slaves
Gaming Age Force
Great Amicable Friends
Galactic Action Fart
Goobbues and Funguars
Giant Anal Fissure
Gasbags and funbags
Grand Aether Federation

Bold +1.

Also, I just want to echo the sentiments of high level players helping. I left the game around lvl 30 as my highest due to work. I eventually came back a few months later with not knowing many people that were in the new GAF guild at that point but there were still a few regulars. From people I recognized to people I didn't, people were so eager to help.

omlet

Bolded part is another major issue that I didn't want to touch on. You all may be good or cool or whatever, but I wouldn't and don't trust the same of other legacy players. The same people that I haven't been on the official forums since like the second beta test because of. Baked in drama and elitism is fairly normal for a mmorpg though I guess. Latency still remains the biggest thing for picking my server.

Judging legacy servers based on Lodestone forums? Shame on you, seriously. Sure, Lodestone general forum was rancid, but only like 5% of the playerbase in 1.x used those forums with any frequency (I forget the exact number, but in one of the player surveys they did, it was some ridiculously low number like that, and that was just out of the subset of players who actually used Lodestone at all and bothered to take the survey). New servers aren't going to be any better off. If anything they may be "worse" since they'll be the more likely destination for MMO-hoppers and entitled casuals (or "WoW-kiddies" as some call them). Just look at the beta forums.

As kiryogi said, this is the main reason why Red Dot is its own thing now and why the plan was to have a different LS for general purpose ARRgaffers, just as we had in 1.x.

That said, I expect ARR will have better retention in general. :D

Alex

LS Name Suggestions:

Gathered Against Fate - 5 votes
Believe Reborn
Giggling At Farts
Garlean Attack Force
Dinosaur Adventure
Jinko's Slaves
Gaming Age Force
Great Amicable Friends
Galactic Action Fart
Goobbues and Funguars
Giant Anal Fissure
Gasbags and funbags
Grand Aether Federation

I like the first.

Judging legacy servers based on Lodestone forums? Shame on you, seriously. Sure, Lodestone general forum was rancid, but only like 5% of the playerbase in 1.x used those forums with any frequency (I forget the exact number, but in one of the player surveys they did, it was some ridiculously low number like that, and that was just out of the subset of players who actually used Lodestone at all and bothered to take the survey). New servers aren't going to be any better off. If anything they may be "worse" since they'll be the more likely destination for MMO-hoppers and entitled casuals (or "WoW-kiddies" as some call them). Just look at the beta forums.

Actually I was referring to the beta forums. Back when it was all legacy and just the first wave on outside invites. Also was only using that as a single point of reference. Are you really going to argue the point that the majority of players of this game will be jerks that would love to take and push an advantage on any part of the game they can? That as as new player you are better off not trusting the already established economy if you don't have any connections? By the by, I'm not singling out just this mmorpg, I would expect the same in any of them.

MMO-hoppers aren't a worry for me. The very nature of their existence is that they will leave.

Xux

You can register one copy of each platform in a Square Account.

I'm thinking about going Black Mage Lalafell, but I don't see mentioned anywhere about race advantages/abilities. Are there any?
There are stat differences but they get muddled up by custom stats and gear. Here's a page that has the race pages with stat differences: http://ffxiv.gamepedia.com/Category:Races BLM, of course, wants Intelligence (magic damage) and Piety (MP) which both Lalafell clans had the best of both. Maybe the ARR stats'll be different...since Dunesfolk seem statistically inferior without much balance but I'm sure Lalafell's'll still be the best BLMs before modifiers.

Gamerescape is the one I always used and it's one of the few that's still around and may actually survive until the game's relaunch.

The new Lodestone's supposed to have database functions though I dunno how many features it and the App will have to replace all the fansites the official forums and the game's failure killed off.

And, yeah, Yoshi-P said Steam was too expensive.

Ravidrath

There are stat differences but they get muddled up by custom stats and gear. Here's a page that has the race pages with stat differences: http://ffxiv.gamepedia.com/Category:Races BLM, of course, wants Intelligence (magic damage) and Piety (MP) which both Lalafell clans had the best of both. Maybe the ARR stats'll be different...since Dunesfolk seem statistically inferior without much balance but I'm sure Lalafell's'll still be the best BLMs before modifiers.
Gamerescape is the one I always used and it's one of the few that's still around and may actually survive until the game's relaunch.

I was under the impression that they were muting the racial differences even more than they were in 1.0.

I honestly wish that they would just eliminate them entirely, but I'm confident my gear will overcome my feeble Highlander mind.

Honestly, I think new people interested should try to play with GAF on Phase 3 and 4 and see for themselves if they want to stay on Legacy servers or not. Things like economy won't be able to be guaged on the beta but everything else should be closer to the final experience. If they don't like the people they meet or the general population then they could choose fresh servers.

No need to rush for decisions. I too have to decide finally if play on the same server as GAF or choose an EU server. Depending of lag and time zones.

I was under the impression that they were muting the racial differences even more than they were in 1.0.

I honestly wish that they would just eliminate them entirely, but I'm confident my gear will overcome my feeble Highlander mind.

Yeah. The idea was to make it very minimal.

I'm kinda half and half on that. I like there to be clear differences between things to create variety, and taking that away from races can ruin some of that. But on the other hand I really want to play a certain race that has some of the worst stats for what I want to play as.

So selfishly I want them to remove all differences, but for the overall good of gameworld I want them to increase them...Whatever, glad I'm not the one to make any of those decisions.

Mature

LS Name Suggestions:

Gathered Against Fate - 6 votes
Believe Reborn
Giggling At Farts
Garlean Attack Force
Dinosaur Adventure
Jinko's Slaves
Gaming Age Force
Great Amicable Friends
Galactic Action Fart
Goobbues and Funguars
Giant Anal Fissure
Gasbags and funbags
Grand Aether Federation
+1 for NEorzea.

Xux

Yeah, I'll agree that the racial differences is an awful design choice.

I'm also glad they fixed dungeons and FATEs by bringing in level sync.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Race should be nothing more than an aesthetic choice. Too many negative side effects when it has actual differences that impact gameplay.

So it's like the Souls series in which you get a defined base but can branch into anything? I like that.

Ravidrath

Race should be nothing more than an aesthetic choice. Too many negative side effects when it has actual differences that impact gameplay.

Yeah, tying stats to aesthetics is a messy endeavor.

It can be a neat world-building thing, but f it doesn't make enough difference to be notable, then it wasn't worth doing in the first place. But MMO players are often times perfectionists, so all it does in the end is torment players.

Yeah, tying stats to aesthetics is a messy endeavor.

It can be a neat world-building thing, but all it does in the end is torment players.

Yeah it is more of an immersion thing, which I am huge on, but I think it falls into that category for me of immersion things that gameplay wise end up making me mad. Sort of like if they went back to not going into full run right away when moving, and instead made you start slow, or animation lock. Sure it is more realistic, but it also makes the game feel sluggish and you lose feeling of control over your character. Which is more immersion breaking I guess.

Ravidrath

Yeah it is more of an immersion thing, which I am huge on, but I think it falls into that category for me of immersion things that gameplay wise end up making me mad. Sort of like if they went back to not going into full run right away when moving, and instead made you start slow, or animation lock. Sure it is more realistic, but it also makes the game feel sluggish and you lose feeling of control over your character. Which is more immersion breaking I guess.

RACISM = IMMERSION

And, yeah, I liked the more realistic motion in 1.0... except for the terrible effects it had on gameplay, compounding the game's already bad lag problems.

RACISM = IMMERSION

And, yeah, I liked the more realistic motion in 1.0... except for the terrible effects it had on gameplay, compounding the game's already bad lag problems.

Don't remind me this. Trying to explain this on beta forums was like smashing your head against a wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom