• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't remind me this. Trying to explain this on beta forums was like smashing your head against a wall.

I'm pretty sure it is what made me leave for good. The beta forums I mean. Went on for pages trying to explain to someone how not wanting animation lock isn't because of lack of skill, but because as the game is they cannot properly balance it against latency. How even as the game is now melee can't hit shit that's moving, but the attacks still go off, so if they added lock to that you would be double fucked. God damn.

Im just glad the majority agreed that jump and no artificial boundaries was a good thing.

Oh fucking god yes. Think the jump issue is when I gave up on the original beta forums. Getting people defending not having it and not wanting it at all because they didn't want to see people all jumping around.....or because they don't want any of that "wow shit" in their final fantasy game. Lost my shit a few times over that.

Oh fucking god yes. Think the jump issue is when I gave up on the original beta forums. Getting people defending not having it and not wanting it at all because they didn't want to see people all jumping around.....or because they don't want any of that "wow shit" in their final fantasy game. Lost my shit a few times over that.

I'd like to make it a point to hunt those people down just to jump over them repeatedly. They also exist on the ARR beta forums.. they're out there somewhere in the game world... I'll find them and jump over them. Just because I can.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Wow I didn't know that people like Kage/Lumi/Katie were playing that long already.

Did Nael Hard with Kage ... man I kind of would like to play Nael on 1.x again now =/.

Yep, we did all kinds of weird crap back in the dark ages. Oh, the things we have seen.

What's "Nael", and why do you want to play it on 1.0?

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
So do we have a few guilds here now for GAF or how is this working out? Just curious.

Yeah, we're pretty much reforming the one on Sargatanas and ROBOKITTYZILLA seems to be setting one up for the new player only servers. Deciding on a name at the moment.

LS Name Suggestions:

Gathered Against Fate - 14 votes -winner
NEorzea - 3 votes
gooey autistic fireworks - 2 votes
Goobbue and Friends - 1 vote
Believe Reborn
Greater Aldenard Formation
Giggling At Farts
Garlean Attack Force
Garlean Annihilation Force
Dinosaur Adventure
Jinko's Slaves
Gaming Age Force
Great Amicable Friends
Galactic Action Fart
Goobbues and Funguars
Giant Anal Fissure
Gasbags and funbags
Grand Aether Federation

Teknoman

Yep, we did all kinds of weird crap back in the dark ages. Oh, the things we have seen.

What's "Nael", and why do you want to play it on 1.0?

Legatus of the VIIth legion, Nael Van Darnus

aka Eorzea's Kefka, summoner of Dalamud.

jbcD6kdFAorxIv.png

iif8WM1xnhned.gif

Teknoman

I need to replay IX so I can refresh myself with Kuja's deal. Exdeath was pretty good (stupid name though)...Golbez was brainwashed so he doesnt count imo.

I thought Gaius was going to be the main enemy in the end, but he seems to be all about business...and not insane delusions of grandeur.

Also the crazy electronic dungeon theme needs to make a return for something.

creid

LS Name Suggestions:

Gathered Against Fate - 9 votes
NEorzea - 4 votes
My vote goes to Gathered Against Fate (even though I posted Neorzea...) Though I think this would make a better FC name than an LS name.

vivin

Does anyone know if we are allowed to create more than one character? I havent thought about which server to roll on until reading the discussions here.

I was going to roll on a fresh new server, as I barely made it past level 10 in 1.0 but if most of the long time players here are sticking with a legacy server, I may continue on with my old character. Id rather roll with people I know whos going to stick around vs having the LS population drop by 80% after the first month....

oh also
+1 for Gathered Against Fate

ZiZ

LS Name Suggestions:

Gathered Against Fate - 9 votes
NEorzea - 4 votes
Believe Reborn
Greater Aldenard Formation
Giggling At Farts
Garlean Attack Force
Garlean Annihilation Force
Dinosaur Adventure
Jinko's Slaves
Gaming Age Force
Great Amicable Friends
Galactic Action Fart
Goobbues and Funguars
Giant Anal Fissure
Gasbags and funbags
Grand Aether Federation

+1 for Gathered Against Fate
I hope we can make a linkshell name that long.

as for the server rift, even if you claim the economy will be broken, that really pales in comparison to what you gain from playing with some of the nicest most supportive players I've ever met online. they'll help you with your quests and raids and leveling you up and you'll have access to top level crafters and gatherers who will gladly help.
you'll be missing out on a lot going to a new server.

Jinko

Bolded part is another major issue that I didn't want to touch on. You all may be good or cool or whatever, but I wouldn't and don't trust the same of other legacy players. The same people that I haven't been on the official forums since like the second beta test because of. Baked in drama and elitism is fairly normal for a mmorpg though I guess. Latency still remains the biggest thing for picking my server.

Legacy players won't be worse than the new servers which will be attracting Tera, WoW and Aion players, believe me Legacy players are angelic in comparison.

I agree on latency though, but considering latency from Japan on the new engine isn't too bad I don't expect it to be a massive deal.

I just hope Sargatanas is either a EU or US server, otherwise I may consider changing.

Actually I was referring to the beta forums. Back when it was all legacy and just the first wave on outside invites. Also was only using that as a single point of reference. Are you really going to argue the point that the majority of players of this game will be jerks that would love to take and push an advantage on any part of the game they can? That as as new player you are better off not trusting the already established economy if you don't have any connections? By the by, I'm not singling out just this mmorpg, I would expect the same in any of them.

MMO-hoppers aren't a worry for me. The very nature of their existence is that they will leave.

I agree the beta forums were pretty civil until they let the Legacy players in, but anyone who has played beta knows that how people act on a forum isn't always how they act in game.

I wonder when Darnus shows up in the ARR story.

I take it you never completed the GC quests in 1.0?

Darnus is defeated and gives his life (basically turns into energy) to ensure that dalamud falls. Hence the cover of the new game showing his Senior, The black Wolf Gaius van Baelsar. Darnus's weapon is later found by Hildibrand after the rivenroad battle, enforcing the idea that he is no longer among the living before Dalamud hits.

Xux

Darnus is defeated and gives his life (basically turns into energy) to ensure that dalamud falls. Hence the cover of the new game showing his Senior, The black Wolf Gaius van Baelsar. His weapon is later found by Hildibrand, enforcing the idea that he is no longer among the living before Dalamud hits.
What about Darnus' profile on the ARR site and the patch notes for his fight saying it wasn't canon? Wait, maybe that was the second fight.

ZiZ

Darnus is defeated and gives his life (basically turns into energy) to ensure that dalamud falls. Hence the cover of the new game showing his Senior, The black Wolf Gaius van Baelsar. His weapon is later found by Hildibrand, enforcing the idea that he is no longer among the living before Dalamud hits.

Van Darnus is not a name, Van Darnus is a title, in his last cut scene Hildibrand took the weapon, wore some armor, and ascended to Dalamud, later with Dalamuds breaking he absorbed its unleashed power. He is now the bearer of the Van Darnus title.

:p

What about Darnus' profile on the ARR site and the patch notes for his fight saying it wasn't canon?

Wasn't ware of the patch notes that said it wasn't cannon. Which patch number was that?

And as far as his Profile being on there I am sure that we will see him again because of the power of echo. I would be surprised if we get to face him again in the new era.

Van Darnus is not a name, Van Darnus is a title, in his last cut scene Hildibrand took the weapon, wore some armor, and ascended to Dalamud, later with Dalamuds breaking he absorbed its unleashed power. He is now the bearer of the Van Darnus title.

:p

In all honesty that would be amazing!

Edit: Actually in one of the cutscenes towards the end, Nael refers to "house Darnus" as if it is a family name instead of a a title.

Legacy players won't be worse than the new servers which will be attracting Tera, WoW and Aion players, believe me Legacy players are angelic in comparison.

I agree on latency though, but considering latency from Japan on the new engine isn't too bad I don't expect it to be a massive deal

I just hope Sargatanas is either a EU or US server, otherwise I may consider changing.

There really isn't anything that I can disagree with more. Either people that keep making this claim haven't played lancer in the beta, or they just don't care about the inability to hit moving mobs, while watching the animation for your skills go off over and over. I seriously though that mobs running away was a scripted thing that you just had to wait for them to go get their help before it would let you fight again until I leveled archer a bit. This stuff was constant and not just during the big rushes with a ton of players around.

Also to be perfectly honest I don't think this game will give a really good first impression to people from either Tera or Wow, so I don't expect players from them to be that big of a deal. I really don't understand the big fear of dumb new people either. Stupid on it's own can be ignored, its when it is from established players that already have "power" that it becomes unbearable.

Xux

Wasn't ware of the patch notes that said it wasn't cannon. Which patch number was that?

And as far as his Profile being on there I am sure that we will see him again because of the power of echo. I would be surprised if we get to face him again in the new era.

In all honesty that would be amazing!

Edit: Actually in one of the cutscenes towards the end, Nael refers to "house Darnus" as if it is a family name instead of a a title.
My mistake; the second fight isn't canon.

Jinko

There really isn't anything that I can disagree with more. Either people that keep making this claim haven't played lancer in the beta, or they just don't care about the inability to hit moving mobs, while watching the animation for your skills go off over and over. I seriously though that mobs running away was a scripted thing that you just had to wait for them to go get their help before it would let you fight again until I leveled archer a bit. This stuff was constant and not just during the big rushes with a ton of players around.

I don't think this is an actual latency issue and something odd with the actual game, as I have said on the beta forums in most mmos even when you suffer from lag or latency you still hit the mob even if its running away and vice versa.

There is no doubt that latency does make it worse I suppose, that being said though I still don't think it's a massive deal breaker, especially for dungeon content and boss fights.

It's nowhere near the level of frustration of the issues in Ifrit and Garuda.

Xux

Yeah, it'd be cool to see Darnus, like, aware of the Echo and taunting you and shit.

And, gosh darnit, I wanna know what happen to Fye and if she shows up to the ceremony. :(

I don't think this is an actual latency issue and something odd with the actual game, as I have said on the beta forums in most mmos even when you suffer from lag or latency you still hit the mob even if its running away and vice versa.

There is no doubt that latency does make it worse I suppose, that being said though I still don't think it's a massive deal breaker, especially for dungeon content and boss fights.

It's nowhere near the level of frustration of the issues in Ifrit and Garuda.

Different games handle it differently. The main problem with 1.0 was how just about everything was server side. They have changed that a lot now but seems not without some other problems. I don't expect this is something that they will be able to fix, but that is just my faith in square along with the belief that it isn't just a simple problem. A complete reworking of how their servers process player position and mob position relative to what they are seeing client side along with usage of skills doesn't seem small or easy.

I do agree with you that it isn't "just" a latency issue, but one that may be exacerbated by latency. Will have to see how things work on a more local server to see if can even be fixed of if their entire system that deals with this is fucked.

It is good to know people are talking about it on the beta forums now though because people just pushed it aside when I raised the point back in the first phases.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Well I guess it's been decided then that Gathered Against Fate wins. The LS name character limit was 31 in 1.x so it shouldn't be a problem. I guess what we should decide now is if we want to use another site for this LS and whether it should be with Guildwork (http://guildwork.com/) or just make one from scratch like a separate forum.

Guildwork is already established and has lots of useful widgets that make it easy to get character information into the site. For me personally though I would like complete control over everything so making a new site would be my favorite it will just take time and effort lol. Guildwork is probably the smarter choice though since it can be setup quickly and do most of what we will need a guild site to do anyway.

I don't think a Guildwork site would be much use until launch or phase 4 though since it would need the LS ID to tie into.

omlet

theSlacker: re: old vs new servers; no, I'm not arguing those points. It's human nature and it'll be on any server.

Does anyone know if we are allowed to create more than one character? I havent thought about which server to roll on until reading the discussions here.
You can unless you're paying the cheaper "basic" sub plan which I think only allows 1 character (or 1 per server?) vs the full sub plan that allows, I think 8 characters? per server.

So do we have a few guilds here now for GAF or how is this working out? Just curious.

I was starting to reply to this last night and got sidetracked and forgot but, yeah, as Dega mentioned, looks like he is gonna be taking the reins of the LS that was known as NeoBelieve in 1.x (Ravi and kiryogi may also be involved with managing that). A causal LS for gaffers to have a place to land on Sargatanas, or whatever other legacy server is decided on if Sargatanas stays in Japan and has latency issues bad enough to warrant moving to another legacy server in a US data center.

Robokitty is volunteering to start a similar group but on a new server for people preferring to not start on an old server.

Guildwork is already established and has lots of useful widgets that make it easy to get character information into the site. For me personally though I would like complete control over everything so making a new site would be my favorite it will just take time and effort lol. Guildwork is probably the smarter choice though since it can be setup quickly and do most of what we will need a guild site to do anyway.

Using Guildwork would also make it easy for older players who already have a GW account.

Well I guess it's been decided then that Gathered Against Fate wins.

Sweet, I'm glad folks like the name. It's being used for the fresh server linkshell, right? I can the reasons folks have for wanting to start on a fresh server, but it kind of sucks that we'll be spread out after the initial 'newness' wears off.

I'm torn on where to go at the moment, but I think I'll might move to the GAF legacy server so that I don't lose the progress I made way back when. I don't think I'd be able to get the Hermes Shoes again if I recreated as well, since I haven't subscribed to FFXI for a long long time. I'm for legacy players moving to a more local server with a cooler name and better latency by the way.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Sweet, I'm glad folks like the name. It's being used for the fresh server linkshell, right? I can the reasons folks have for wanting to start on a fresh server, but it kind of sucks that we'll be spread out after the initial 'newness' wears off.

I'm torn on where to go at the moment, but I think I'll might move to the GAF legacy server so that I don't lose the progress I made way back when. I don't think I'd be able to get the Hermes Shoes again if I recreated as well, since I haven't subscribed to FFXI for a long long time. I'm for legacy players moving to a more local server with a cooler name and better latency by the way.

We should be able to use it for both the old server and new player server even if we both use Guildwork.

@omlet: Yeah that's a good point since a lot probably already have themselves setup for GW.

Jinko

Well I guess it's been decided then that Gathered Against Fate wins. The LS name character limit was 31 in 1.x so it shouldn't be a problem. I guess what we should decide now is if we want to use another site for this LS and whether it should be with Guildwork (http://guildwork.com/) or just make one from scratch like a separate forum.

I don't think a Guildwork site would be much use until launch or phase 4 though since it would need the LS ID to tie into.

I dislike guildworks personally, agreed that a self built site would be better, if thats not an option I think enjin looks nicer and is probably more customisable than guildworks although it lacks the social/community feel I guess.

I think XIVpads were adding linkshell and guild controls/forums last I looked so that might be an option also.

hteng

Banned
Hiya guys, Dano here reporting in, will join whatever hell LS that's still around here. I aint got no money or stuff, only my bare ass to serve and protect!

Teknoman

Darnus is defeated and gives his life (basically turns into energy) to ensure that dalamud falls. Hence the cover of the new game showing his Senior, The black Wolf Gaius van Baelsar. Darnus's weapon is later found by Hildibrand after the rivenroad battle, enforcing the idea that he is no longer among the living before Dalamud hits.

Being Final Fantasy, i'm sure he could return in some way. Of course, he's already done the whole second empowered form thing...so maybe not. I wouldnt be surprised to see him in some sort of non-human form though.

Being Final Fantasy, i'm sure he could return in some way. Of course, he's already done the whole second empowered form thing...so maybe not. I wouldnt be surprised to see him in some sort of non-human form though.

I just want Bradamante...

Nael doesn't necessarily have to be attached to it.

chris-013

From the live letter VII :

f; how does Dragoon stand out as an physical attacker, also can you explain the difference between like Warrior and Paladin with the same role? What kind of specifics do they have?
y; Starting with Dragoon, Dragoons are simple close range DPS, class that deals damage at close range but from side and behind, ah crap used English terms again (he said in English, side/behind instead of JP)
y; (he fixes that) By attacking the mob from behind and side you will have bonus on damage at same time while getting those damage bonus you’ll also get buffs.
y; by being able to keep those bonuses going the damage will keep on increasing
y; also talking about Dragoons, their main speciality is jump so this time they will jump greatly
y; there are many types of jumps, so you can jump to get close then use skill to stun, or start from the behind and this time, from the feedbacks we received the global cool down is now different for ability, so you can use ability and power up and continue on from there.
y; dragoon is really basic, monk is also a damage dealer, if you look at this cross hot bar you can see, there are 3 greyed out abilities, there are different styles
y; once you use a weapon skill by choosing the style you can do different skills and then change to another stance so it’s pretty busy job.
y; but as you keep on going through stances you will get heist so the cool down will become shorter so you have to keep on using combos, so it’s pretty technical.
y; talking like this might sound hard, sounds like hardcore, but if you look here
y; at lv15 there isn’t much to go through, so while you level up you get stuff that goes in between first and second.
y; from the feedbacks we received we talked about instead of just spamming buttons how to make people think, so for example we changed the order you learn the new skills and the effects were modified carefully so

I can't wait to play pugilist/monk ! ^^
It's seems they are listening... I think buffs on the same GCD was stupid.

Ravidrath

from the feedbacks we received the global cool down is now different for ability, so you can use ability and power up and continue on from there.

What does this mean?

The cooldown is still global, but different abilities trigger different cooldown periods?

Or does it mean that different classes of abilities have separate cooldowns? i.e. Using a buff doesn't make attacks cooldown?

What does this mean?

The cooldown is still global, but different abilities trigger different cooldown periods?

Or does it mean that different classes of abilities have separate cooldowns? i.e. Using a buff doesn't make attacks cooldown?

The wording is unclear but it sounds like the latter to me. Buff GCD is separated from other abilities.

Jinko

From the live letter VII :

I can't wait to play pugilist/monk ! ^^
It's seems they are listening... I think buffs on the same GCD was stupid.

Agreed it was the biggest issue with me with the battle system, I am glad they fixed it.

That's how it was during the Beta so far, anyway.

Nope, they shared the same cooldown and it wasn't fluid, for example you would select a buff and be locked out for a short peroid before you could select the attack, I assume now you can select a buff and attack skill without the break in between which will make combat more fluid similar to other MMO's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom