• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ala Alba

Nope, they shared the same cooldown and it wasn't fluid, for example you would select a buff and be locked out for a short peroid before you could select the attack, I assume now you can select a buff and attack skill without the break in between which will make combat more fluid similar to other MMO's.

Huh, that's not what I remembered it being.

What I remembered was that during GCD, you couldn't select anything (buffs or attacks), but otherwise you could select buffs immediately followed by another buff or an attack.

But I'm probably misremembering.

edit - Allard described the issue better

The abilities didn't trigger the cooldown, but they were subject to it once a skill had been fired off. That should no longer be the case.

Allard

Agreed it was the biggest issue with me with the battle system, I am glad they fixed it.

Nope, they shared the same cooldown and it wasn't fluid, for example you would select a buff and be locked out for a short peroid before you could select the attack, I assume now you can select a buff and attack skill without the break in between which will make combat more fluid similar to other MMO's.

Not how I remembered it, I remembered the buffs shared the Global Cooldown but they never 'triggered' the cool down. You were forced to wait for cooldown to go away after a weaponskill but buff to weaponskill was fluid, at least for me. What this tells me is now the ability don't trigger nor share time withe GCD, so you can use one right after firing off a weaponskill.

Edit: Beaten ish.

Jinko

Not how I remembered it, I remembered the buffs shared the Global Cooldown but they never 'triggered' the cool down. You were forced to wait for cooldown to go away after a weaponskill but buff to weaponskill was fluid, at least for me. What this tells me is now the ability don't trigger nor share time withe GCD, so you can use one right after firing off a weaponskill.

Edit: Beaten ish.

Ok well that equates to almost the same thing in my eyes, regardless of where you use the buff you shouldn't be left waiting IMO otherwise it just comes across stilted and convoluted.

I can't say for certain how buff to skill worked as I can't remember :p, but I do remember thinking these buffs shouldn't be locked out like this and I am guessing its what they have fixed.

Edit:- Actually I remember now, you are right that you could go buff > skill fairly quickly but in many cases for me the buff wouldn't take effect, I assume this could have been a latency issue though.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis

Maybe, Gathered Against Fate seems to have run away with the vote though. Picking it before phase 4 would allow us to get the LS site ready with an appropriate design. If you guys want to leave it open though that's fine. Just keep throwing names out there and I'll keep a tally.

lol you edited it out!

Agreed it was the biggest issue with me with the battle system, I am glad they fixed it.

This is good to hear and even better to see the good feed back from testers actually making a difference.

Buffs and things with long cooldowns should never be on the GCD imo. This includes attacking skills that have longer cooldowns (as in longer then the GCD) like I assume jumps are going to be.

Tesseract

Banned
Maybe, Gathered Against Fate seems to have run away with the vote though. Picking it before phase 4 would allow us to get the LS site ready with an appropriate design. If you guys want to leave it open though that's fine. Just keep throwing names out there and I'll keep a tally.

lol you edited it out!

gathered against fate is growing on me. ;)

i was kinda trolling earlier with my suggestion, sorry about that.

Teknoman

Ramuh feels like it has a middle eastern flair to it. I wonder where his battlefield will be...or if the primals will be slightly voiced like Garuda (that insane laugh o_o)

This is probably my most hyped game right now until E3 rolls around. Does anyone know if you can transfer servers when RR releases? I'm pondering if I should transfer to the gaf server.

I recall reading somewhere that the NDA would be 'partially lifted' for phase 3 of the beta. Did they ever go into details about what this will allow?

ebil

I recall reading somewhere that the NDA would be 'partially lifted' for phase 3 of the beta. Did they ever go into details about what this will allow?
Not yet, but I have a feeling we'll only be able to talk about the 'surface' stuff (the city-states, the character creator and so on) for at least a good while. No way they'll lift the NDA on the core aspects being tested during phase 3 right off the bat.

Here's my profile
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/character/status?cicuid=1016806

As you can tell, I gave up shortly after launch, as 1.0 just didnt live up to FFXI for me, Hoping 2.0 changes that :D

Bah. It says there are no available characters for me. I played Final Fantasy XIV and had the collectors edition.

There are no characters on this FINAL FANTASY XIV service account. Use of the Lodestone requires an account with at least one character.

I didn't play for long but I did play. WTF?

My history:
FINAL FANTASY XIV - Windows(R) May 19, 2011
FINAL FANTASY XIV - Windows(R) Beta Test Sep. 2, 2010

Jinko

Bah. It says there are no available characters for me. I played Final Fantasy XIV and had the collectors edition.

I didn't play for long but I did play. WTF?

My history:

It should list your characters somewhere on the service page.

Hmm there is someone else called Doctor Who on Sargatanas, I am guessing when they merged worlds he got the name because he made his character prior to yours.

When you log in it will ask you to change your name.

Another Doctor?

WHAT!?

Hopefully everything works out.

I assume I'm eligible for Phase 3.

Thanks.

Edit: Yup. That's me. Strange. I'm using the same login at the loadstone site as I'm using for the maintenance site. Not sure why I'm not able to access my account on loadstone.

hteng

Banned
I think P3 nda should be inline with e3 showing, they will be having a pretty big info dump. We probably cant talk about developer feedbacks and notes but should be fine with gameplay discussion

Jinko

Yet they still need more management options than they had in 1.0.

I think they've said we'll be able to depearl inactive players at least, Dega.

Strange I thought they said they have no plans to alter the linkshell system, hope you are right though.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
LS are only chat channels in ARR.

They're not going to have management the same way that a free company will.

Yet they still need more management options than they had in 1.0.

I think they've said we'll be able to depearl inactive players at least, Dega.

Ah, now I'm really curious how they will have them setup. Reading up on what to expect from LS they seem more like managed chat channels setup like forums (Admin/Moderator) than Guilds (Master/Leader). If they really have been downgraded that much then I wonder if we would even need an LS website just for something like that. This thread might be enough. Guildwork may be really outdated when we get to see the changes as well.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom