• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMBored

Being new to the game, I can't tell if upgrading to the Digital Collector's Edition is worth $19.99 for these items:

Helm of Light
Baby Behemoth
Behemoth Barding
Fat Chocobo Whistle
Wind-Up Moogle
Coeurl Bell

Anyone have an opinion?

Well, have you seen the fat chocobo videos posted earlier? That alone is worth the price of the game + subscription.
But really, the only item that's not cosmetic is the helm, and is really not that useful, plus if you want to you can upgrade to CE latter.

Are there any in-game item differences between buying the CE on PSN vs retail?

No, the CE items are all the same, even between platforms.

I got the normal edition and got a Moogle hat that does the same as the helm of light as a pre-order bonus.

Not a huge deal either way though.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Ok, I'm a complete newb to this game. I love it, though, having played just a bit in the beta but now I'm hooked hardcore.

I'm confused by what I should be doing early on. I made a Pugilist with the intention of becoming a Monk. I'm level 15 now. Should I become a Lancer and work on that, or should I concentrate on getting to 30 with my Pug first? Is there another class I should spec into in order to get abilities that might help me?

Halp!

If anybody was curious, I was able to redeem the pre-order code (purchased one off eBay) and was still able to get the Moogle cap/Cat Sith Minion even though I was a PS3 -> PS4 user.

Still contemplating if I should upgrade to the digital CE, I really like that fat chocobo mount, compared to a normal chocobo, its massive!

Interfectum

Ok, I'm a complete newb to this game. I love it, though, having played just a bit in the beta but now I'm hooked hardcore.

I'm confused by what I should be doing early on. I made a Pugilist with the intention of becoming a Monk. I'm level 15 now. Should I become a Lancer and work on that, or should I concentrate on getting to 30 with my Pug first? Is there another class I should spec into in order to get abilities that might help me?

Halp!

I'm new too but general rule of thumb seems to be play until story level 20 when you can get retainer for item storage and a chocobo mount for faster travel, then switch classes all you want.

Halp!

My advice for new starters is get 15, get the quest to go to the other cities, at each city start a new class and use the starter quests in that city to help you up to 15 with it. There is a full set of starter quests in each city, nearly enough to get you to 15 with just a little grinding/fate/leve work to help it along. It is also best to do this as you have access to cross class skills from those other classes you leveled on your main class, not to mention the unlock of your job once you get there.

-epidemic-

Neo Member
Hey Guys, I am buying this game today on PS4 and was just wondering if you think that a keyboard for PS4 communication is required or do people just use PS4 party chat?

I missed out on the beta so I haven't gotten to play anything yet.

Also, how do I join the Neogaf clan? (If it's open)

Thanks.

Wilsongt

I give up, endgame as SCH is just waaaaay too frustrating. Guess it's time to level up WHM and get used to not mindlessly wasting mana, I guess.

You're doing it wrong, then. Whm burns through mana much faster than sch. Try runnin ct a few times. That is how I managed to get into the sch groove.

Edit: beaten like king behemoth

You're doing it wrong, then. Whm burns through mana much faster than sch. Try runnin ct a few times. That is how I managed to get into the sch groove.
But that's what I said lol I'm used to wasting mana as SCH every now and then, but I can't afford to do that as WHM

And I'm way past CT by now lol

Mozendo

I tried searching all over to find an answer for my question, but couldn't find a result.
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I just bought the standard edition and I want to know if buying the CE upgrade will give me extra game time or would my money be better spent buying a subscription card?

I tried searching all over to find an answer for my question, but couldn't find a result.
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I just bought the standard edition and I want to know if buying the CE upgrade will give me extra game time or would my money be better spent buying a subscription card?

As far as I'm aware it only gives you some in game items, not any extra free play time, but I could be wrong.

So I binged with my 3 day weekend and got to level 30 WHM, 26 ACN, and 10 THA (some of that was the previous beta phase).

Have to say GAF clan is awesome, you guys have been so helpful and kind. Thank you to all of you.

Sincerely,
Arya Hodor

What up Arya... Haha, this is Sydney Madison!

Couldn't binge like you but got in plenty of action yesterday. Currently a level 24 Lancer. Once I hit 30, will work on the Marauder class so I can unlock Dragoon. Looking forward to doing more adventuring with you.

I'm on the quest to join a Grand Company at the moment. Any suggestions on which GC I should join?

Aeana

I think it depends on the person though. Some people have told me it's easy to play scholar, but I struggle with it because compared to white mage I feel like I have less control over the battle. White Mage I can be fairly accurate about how much my spells can heal and how quickly I can get everyone up, whereas with scholar sometimes it is really spray and pray.

Likewise there might be people who find playing scholar easy, but playing white mage difficult because of the mp conservation factor.

Paging Elliott and Kagari, somebody just insulted your idol...

Basically this. Scholar isn't exactly hard to play, specially if you macro your stuff, but when playing hard content you must be absolutely on point. You can't allow people to get hurt past a certain point, because if they do you don't have the healing power to do some clutch pick ups like WHM does unless you just waste AF stacks, but then you're left SS-less and that might get you killed in a phase switch that comes afterwards if your AF is on CD.

If you make a mistake you probably just got your whole party wiped, while WHM has a few tools to cover mistakes, that's what make SCH hard and not the mechanics per se.

Scholar is hard to play only if you try to play it like white mage. I went through the same thing when I first switched to scholar. These days everything is second nature to me, and I'm super comfortable with it. You learn what you're good at and what you should leave to the WHM (and the WHM will pick up on what they should leave to you eventually as well). A white mage and scholar really need to work together for the best results.

Also, you're not exactly correct about not having the healing power to do "clutch pickups" -- consider that you can use physick and embrace on the same target and you can heal more than cure 2. I personally don't use macros because I prefer having the ability to use physick and embrace separately at will, but I definitely will hit both buttons on the same target when I need a big heal.

btkadams

Join up. Cross classing is a must. Acn is good for healing.
How does this work? I'm a marauder aiming to be a warrior (so I need to level up gladiator as well). If I levelled up arcanist, would I be able to heal myself in battle during solo play (assuming there would be others healing me in coop stuff) as a warrior? Or do I switch to arcanist for healing and then switch back? Are class switches possible on-the-fly like that? I still haven't done anything but marauder.

Also, you're not exactly correct about not having the healing power to do "clutch pickups" -- consider that you can use physick and embrace on the same target and you can heal more than cure 2. I personally don't use macros because I prefer having the ability to use physick and embrace separately at will, but I definitely will hit both buttons on the same target when I need a big heal.
Physic + Embrace is definitely good, but when I say clutch pick-ups I mean stuff like Benediction or Swiftcast + Divine Seal, "we are going to get wiped otherwise" situations, you know?

Best you can do as SCH in these situations is throw 3 Lustrates around, Swiftcast Succor and hope your party lives through the Whispering Dawn cast time.

Sophia

Physic + Embrace is definitely good, but when I say clutch pick-ups I mean stuff like Benediction or Swiftcast + Divine Seal, "we are going to get wiped otherwise" situations, you know?

Best you can do as SCH in these situations is throw 3 Lustrates around, Swiftcast Succor and hope your party lives through the Whispering Dawn cast time.

But you have equivalents to those. Lustrate is a more useful if slightly less powerful Benediction and your fairy has two supportive abilities in Rouse and Fey Illumination. The later of which affects you as well

Also, you should probably keep the fairy on Obey so you can control when Whispering Dawn is cast. It's extremely powerful if used at the right time, especially with Succor.

Aeana

Lustrate is much more powerful than benediction, because it isn't on a 5 minute cooldown. Proper aetherflow management is just another skill that a scholar has to learn. Eventually you'll get a feel for it so you should usually be in situations where you can use it and be fine. It's a bad habit for scholars to panic and press it a bunch of times, though. Press it once, press your embrace key at the same time, and that is almost always enough to get a target out of danger. Also, don't forget about rouse. It's one of your most valuable tools and it seems like so few scholars use it. And don't be afraid to cast succor a few times. It doesn't generate a ton of enmity, and it will create a buffer for your white mage to be able to get that AoE heal out.

Trust your white mage to handle the big AoE heals, and do what you can in that area to reduce damage. Knowing the fight so you can get sacred soil down before big damage comes, having succor up before big damage comes, and then reapplying again afterward once or twice is usually plenty. Scholars are fantastic single target and spot healers (being able to heal two targets at once is a huge boon that should not be undervalued), AoE healing is not our forte, but that's okay because we should always, or usually have a white mage partner.

phierce

Hey Guys, I am buying this game today on PS4 and was just wondering if you think that a keyboard for PS4 communication is required or do people just use PS4 party chat?

I missed out on the beta so I haven't gotten to play anything yet.

Also, how do I join the Neogaf clan? (If it's open)

Thanks.
A keyboard will make your in game life much easier. Being able to quickly communicate helps everyone involved.

Lustrate is much more powerful than benediction,

Well, no, it is much more useful, but not more powerful. If you have 1 GCD to get a tank up from low for a big hit, Lustrate won't do it. However, as you say, with it's significantly lower cool down, it is considerably more useful in general.

Taruranto

AdiOOGh.jpg
Fucking finally, I'm done with this fight.

Teknoman

I just hope it lasts long enough for me to get the vanity gear. All I know is I'm dropping every fucking thing in this game to get that caster and paladin sets.

I dunno much about Frontlines PVP, but the name makes it sound like it'll kinda be large scale with some enemies mixed in?

Personally i'd only buy retail CE since:

I like awesome boxes.
Doesnt it come with a soundtrack?
Art book.

Aeana

Well, no, it is much more useful, but not more powerful. If you have 1 GCD to get a tank up from low for a big hit, Lustrate won't do it. However, as you say, with it's significantly lower cool down, it is considerably more useful in general.
The power comes from its wider utility. I wasn't talking about healing throughput when referring to power.

MogCakes

I don't focus too much on gear so long as my ilvl is high enough. I'm prioritizing levels at the moment - I assume a lot of people here already have 50 in every class.

Sophia

If I had to pick between Lustrate and Benediction, I'd pick the former every time. Three mini heals I can spread out over the group are much more useful.

Interfectum

just joineed the blacksmith and armorers guild got the new weapons and bam, naked with no equipable gear for those classes :/

There is a merchant that sells level 1 gear for all classes and I think it's based on race (?). I just bought a set of that so I don't walk around naked.

Teknoman

So...when am I going to get to join the materia melding party for high level? Seems like the majority of the weapons and equipment dont have slots? Unless Allagan stuff and the Noct stuff do.

So...when am I going to get to join the materia melding party for high level? Seems like the majority of the weapons and equipment dont have slots? Unless Allagan stuff and the Noct stuff do.

If you're gonna bother with crafted i90 gear, then you worry about materia. If you care about being the best crafter or gatherer, you'll need materia. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

Raoh

I got the hhammers, just i have no clothes to wear when they are equipped, I feel weird like that

I think you get your first few pieces of crafting armor after a few of the low level quests. SO far I think I got a body and leg piece and a pair of pliers from the armorer quests.

Edit*
Also do some of the crafting leve's for faster leveling your craft and some items

Interfectum

Got a question on non-combat classes (crafting and gathering)... any advice on where to begin there? Seems to be such a wide open choice of things to do, where should a newbie put their focus?

fernoca

Guess I'll be joining...later this week. Thought the process of upgrading from digital PS3 to digital PS4 would be easier. Turns out you have to download the PS3 version, start the game and then go to Mog Station to do the upgrade. No biggie, but because I never downloaded the PS3 version..I'll have to download it, go to work, return at like 2AM to create a character and everything, to get the upgrade, delete the PS3 version and download the PS4 version.

Oh well. Got the CE for unlike $10 last year anyway. :p

I think you get your first few pieces of crafting armor after a few of the low level quests. SO far I think I got a body and leg piece and a pair of pliers from the armorer quests.

Edit*
Also do some of the crafting leve's for faster leveling your craft and some items

well atm i'm only a lvl 2 ARM/BLA should i just redo all the recipe levels until i hit level 5? and sell what i make?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom