• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoForte

That lore video was epic. I didn't know about the teleporting away the 12 WoL, so that kind of opens up to all kinds of theories!

The Warriors of Light are the 1.0 (Legacy) Players and what you eventually become as a non-legacy. You see this happen in the opening video to the game.

I really hate that the PS4 asks me who is using the keyboard each time I reconnect (wireless). Why would a secondary account need a kb anyway?

Interfectum

I really hate that the PS4 asks me who is using the keyboard each time I reconnect (wireless). Why would a secondary account need a kb anyway?

You know what's worse? For me it fucks up remote play with a keyboard plugged in. PS4 won't boot from the Vita because it stops at the keyboard question.

this. and please tell me i'm not the only one having this problem with the game not registering the first letter i type with the keyboard. it's like this version wants to confirm i want to use the keyboard every time i try to type?

it worked flawlessly on PS3 with the same keyboard. i could type straight and everything would register.

Frazley

Gah! The fat chocobo got me into it. After starting my first quest and running around the city, I am hooked!

First MMO since WoW and CoH!

I never got a chance to try XI so this is my redemption.

plake

I have no problems what so ever with my KB and PS4. Using an Apple BT keyboard.

First letter registering and hasn't prompt me as to who's using it.

The Warriors of Light are the 1.0 (Legacy) Players and what you eventually become as a non-legacy. You see this happen in the opening video to the game.

Ah! I thought the game's story was a bit tough to follow. Not sure if it's because I didn't play 1.0 or if it was just sooooo much to keep track of. Starting to understand now though.

It's probably for multiplayer, should any games with keyboard support have that.

Right, but I'm fairly sure that a grand total of 0 games currently support it and I'm willing to bet that at the end of PS4's life, there will only be a handful of games that support a keyboard as second control input.
IMO, at this point in the PS4's life they should disable the prompt, especially in this game. I'm disconnected at least once in a dungeon, and when I want to type up something quick I have to go through an additonal screen and step in order to just say "LB!" or something equally brief.

You know what's worse? For me it fucks up remote play with a keyboard plugged in. PS4 won't boot from the Vita because it stops at the keyboard question.

Yep I noticed that so now everytime I finish playing on the ps4 I have to remember to unplug the keyboard or I can't use remote play when I need to.

Aeana

All of the subscription time I got at launch finally ran out today, and I was billed for another 180 days. 6 more months of Tiv incoming.

IMBored

But can't I buy other minions somewhere in Eorzea?

Also, I can't summon the fat chocobo and wind-up moogle, maybe because I'm lvl. 15 (?).

You can only summon the fatty after buying the regular company chocobo, that's unlocked after joining a grand company ( a bit further in the story). I'm not sure about minions, have you used the item they gave you? You can get several minions from some fates, quests and CE or preorder bonuses.

Gaz_RB

All of the subscription time I got at launch finally ran out today, and I was billed for another 180 days. 6 more months of Tiv incoming.

Oh, you're Tiv! I've been trying to connect everyone in the FC to their counterpart on GAF haha.

But can't I buy other minions somewhere in Eorzea?

Also, I can't summon the fat chocobo and wind-up moogle, maybe because I'm lvl. 15 (?).
You have to use the item, and then go to actions/traits>minions>select the minion. There are tons of other minions unlocked throughout the game.

Aeana

Oh, you're Tiv! I've been trying to connect everyone in the FC to their counterpart on GAF haha.
If you open the FC list and go to the members section and change the tab to short message, some people have their GAF names listed there. Wish more people would do that.

Rizzi

I got my lancer up to level 10. So far I seem to be getting the hang of combat with a ps4 controller. I'm sure that'll change when I get more abilities though.

Semper88

I got my lancer up to level 10. So far I seem to be getting the hang of combat with a ps4 controller. I'm sure that'll change when I get more abilities though.

Just wait.. i got to the point now that my warrior's cross bar is 100% filled and sometimes i get so confused XD

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
You can mark targets with symbols. Just puts a little symbol over an enemies head so people know who to attack first.

Also, it's so nice to read all the silly stuff you guys talk about in the Ultros gaf guild. <3 makes even tedious things like fate grinding not so boring lol

Wow I have no idea how to do that.

Wow I have no idea how to do that.
You can either right click the mob's health bar - don't know how to do it on consoles - or make a macro for it - far easier on PC or with a keyboard since you have hotbars to spare, naturally.

You have 3 mark symbols, you can make a macro for each and change the # for a number up to 5:
/mk attack#
/mk bind#
/mk ignore#

Attack is the number you usually see in dungeons, the others are for organizing stuff like stuns/silences or just ignoring mobs. One thing that I like doing for marking is setting up a hotbar for the F1~5 buttons on your keyboard, putting the macros there and hiding it.

Aeana

To make it even easier, if you make a macro that just has

/mk attack

in it, then it will automatically use the lowest numbered attack marker that isn't already in use. Another macro for /mk off to undo a mark in conjunction with that means you can have fewer button slots used up with mark macros.

IMBored

It will, Right now I have my main cross bar filled with combat actions, my secondary with misc stuff (like teleport), and the R2+L2 bars with job changes, and pretty soon that won't be enough.

If you open the FC list and go to the members section and change the tab to short message, some people have their GAF names listed there. Wish more people would do that.

Is there any way to see this on the lodestone? This really comes in handy, still wished there was a way to also search for PSN ID, and examining characters from the chat page.

Interfectum

It will, Right now I have my main cross bar filled with combat actions, my secondary with misc stuff (like teleport), and the R2+L2 bars with job changes, and pretty soon that won't be enough.

I can't wait until the day most MMOs get away from the idea that "more spells to click = depth."

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
How many hotkeys can you have on the PS3/4 controller?

Dragoons are probably the easiest DPS class to play on a controller after Bards.

BLM.

Dragoons actually have a pretty complex rotation if you plan on maximizing DPS. Somebody would have to be really good with a controller to switch to that many hotbars.

Or they can take the hit to DPS and make some macros.

With a controller: if you have a target highlighted, press Square and a mini menu will pop up, click the Mark option and you'll have a bunch of different markers to use.

But that's so slow by the time you get the mark out the fight is almost over (and you've done a terrible job as a tank).

I'm interested in this macro stuff. I only use the auto attack nearest enemy macro, because the targeting system in this game sucks, especially in crowded stuff like fates (it keeps selecting other players, so I can't attack).

I'd like to hear more about hotbar set up for tanks using a controller. I feel that I can't yet find the sweetspot.

IMBored

How many hotkeys can you have on the PS3/4 controller?

Dragoons are probably the easiest DPS class to play on a controller after Bards.

There's eight hotbars, each with 16 slots available. However changing between that many in combat would be clunky. For me using R1 to switch between two bars, and L2+R2 for another, gives me fast access to 48 actions, that will probably suffice even in the endgame.

And why are people always downplaying bards, only caring about staying far away from the enemies, being able to run while charging abilities while occasionally playing some music isn't easy.

BLM.

Dragoons actually have a pretty complex rotation if you plan on maximizing DPS. Somebody would have to be really good with a controller to switch to that many hotbars.

Or they can take the hit to DPS and make some macros.
Yeah, it's complex, but depending on how many hotkeys you can have on console it's perfectly doable so that's why I said "probably"

HT > ID > DI > CT > DoTs > TT - VT - FT combo > MS whenever avaiable, that's 10 skills on your basic endgame rotation

There's eight hotbars, each with 16 slots available. However changing between that many in combat would be clunky. For me probably using R1 to switch between two bars, and L2+R2 for another, gives me fast access to 48 actions, that will probably suffice even in the endgame.
In that case yeah, it's perfectly doable. You'll need 10 slots for the normal DRG rotation plus another 10 for your cooldowns and jumps.

zewone

So I've been playing since Friday. Really enjoying it. Seems like a very streamlined FFXI. Got my Lancer to level 23. I see everyone in the GAF FC talking about things that seem like a foreign language to me (Turn 1, 2, Atma, etc..)

At what level should I expect to know that stuff? 50?

So I've been playing since Friday. Really enjoying it. Seems like a very streamlined FFXI. Got my Lancer to level 23. I see everyone in the GAF FC talking about things that seem like a foreign language to me (Turn 1, 2, Atma, etc..)

Most of everything talked about is late end game. Just ask questions in either chat or mumble. GAF is super awesome friendly nice and doesn't mind explaining things.

IMBored

ATMA and coil turns are all level 50 endgame stuff.

orion434

Fucking Finally....

wTXqTE2l.jpg

xmO7sr9l.jpg

166th Platinum, Damn! chased this Platinum the longest! (7 months, 2 Weeks)

Congrats!!! I know the feels of getting that long awaited completion, Armored Core: For Answer took me the better portion of 2 years for the 1000!

And why are people always downplaying bards, only caring about staying far away from the enemies, being able to run while charging abilities while occasionally playing some music isn't easy.
Pressing a single macro over and over while pressing 3 other buttons every twenty seconds is really taxing on my keyboard, you know!

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Yeah, it's complex, but depending on how many hotkeys you can have on console it's perfectly doable so that's why I said "probably"

HT > ID > DI > CT > DoTs > TT - VT - FT combo > MS whenever avaiable, that's 10 skills on your basic endgame rotation

In that case yeah, it's perfectly doable. You'll need 10 slots for the normal DRG rotation plus another 10 for your cooldowns and jumps.

Add in 3 jumps and 4 offensive cooldowns that need to be weaved between GCD skills. Marking targets on the fly is also useful in chaotic flights.
So that is 17 skills. This requires a lot of hotbars and muscle memory to be able to pull off efficiently.

Not to mention the snap targeting needed when performing 2 of the jumps for movement.
Many don't care about endgame content, so there isn't a reason to care; but those wanting to make progression on a DRG would be better suited not using a controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom