• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

btkadams

Any point not on VIT is wasted on a Warrior, but you can reset them later so don't worry about it.

You can buy a respect item at a grand company, pricey tough. However I don't think even dropping 4 points into int would matter that much in the long term.

Like we said, even if you don't have access to limsa right now there's always some of us in the cities, if all else fails shout for one of us in a city.
Thanks, guys. I think I might do the stat reset item. I looked around online and it appears to be 10,000 seals. That's not THAT bad I guess. I'll probably save up casually and get it a little down the road.

supergiz

Got a question on low level dungeon Limit Breaks. I notice barely anyone initiates them so I've decided to start (as a lancer). What is the general rule for doing a limit break? DPS usually? Am I pissing people off by using it and no one is saying anything?

Usually people want to save for boss / emergency.

I've put all my points in VIT as a Marauder, but is there a point where I would put some in STR? Guides I've looked at say VIT > STR > DEX. I'm thinking you'll never put any in DEX, but what about STR?

For primary attributes, put everything into VIT. You can focus on enhancing other attributes with equipment, accessories, and Materia. Keep in mind that boosting ACC will become very important once you reach end game.

Interfectum

Melee DPS is preferred. The other limit breaks are situational. Melee DPS gives a strong single target blow, summoner/black mage give an AoE blast that does less damage to individual targets, but to several at once. Healers and bards have a healing limit break, and tanks have one that boosts defense.

Usually people want to save for boss / emergency.

Thanks. Yeah I've been saving them for a mid boss or last boss usually.

It's a pretty cool mechanic IMO.

There really should be a notification though similar to the afk above your head showing when you are playing via PS vita remote play. For me at least, I am often on for 20 minute work breaks and given the limited time and that it takes a few minutes to type something in, I often do not see / don't have enough time to reply to tells etc.

Would help if ppl could see I was on remote play.

You could try putting yourself in Busy or AFK status.

Frazley

Three questions:
1. Am I missing anything major by not being legacy?
2. Did I miss out on not playing XI?
3. Can I add game time on MogStation without buying game time or do you know a good legit place to buy digital game time codes?

EDIT: Meant to say without setting up automatic renewal on point 3.

Aeana

Three questions:
3. Can I add game time on MogStation without buying game time or do you know a good legit place to buy digital game time codes?
1. Not at all.
2. This game doesn't have any relation to FF11, so that's nothing to worry about.
3. You can buy game time cards from Amazon, the cards are for 60 days at a time.

Melee DPS is preferred. The other limit breaks are situational. Melee DPS gives a strong single target blow, summoner/black mage give an AoE blast that does less damage to individual targets, but to several at once. Healers and bards have a healing limit break, and tanks have one that boosts defense.
Yep. You'll want melee DPS to use LB most of the time to finish off bosses, caster LB for when you need to kill many things at the same time fast, healer LB - and only LB3 - when everything went to hell and you're just praying for a fucking miracle and tank LB when never use tank LB seriously don't.

There really should be a notification though similar to the afk above your head showing when you are playing via PS vita remote play. For me at least, I am often on for 20 minute work breaks and given the limited time and that it takes a few minutes to type something in, I often do not see / don't have enough time to reply to tells etc.

Would help if ppl could see I was on remote play.

Select yourself, open your right click menu, Edit Search Options, set yourself to AFK or Busy. An icon appears by your name in lists and by your name plate over your head indicating you aren't there or busy.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Three questions:

That sounds like theft.
If you want to play, be prepared to pay.
Amazon timecards are great if you don't want auto-renewal.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Yep. You'll want melee DPS to use LB most of the time to finish off bosses, caster LB for when you need to kill many things at the same time fast, healer LB - and only LB3 - when everything went to hell and you're just praying for a fucking miracle and tank LB when never use tank LB seriously don't.

Ultima HM.
The only time a tank LB can shine.

Aeana

Not theft, I want to PAY for it from legit sources.

Meant to make my response without setting up automatic renewal.
You can pay without setting up automatic renewal in several ways. The simplest is to just buy game time with a credit card, and then cancel right afterward. You'll get the time you paid for. Otherwise you can use Crysta to pay, or game time cards.

aceface

Got a question on low level dungeon Limit Breaks. I notice barely anyone initiates them so I've decided to start (as a lancer). What is the general rule for doing a limit break? DPS usually? Am I pissing people off by using it and no one is saying anything?

Sure if you are a dps other than bard fire away. General rule is to use them when a boss gets around to about 10% or so. LB kills are oh so satisfying.

Frazley

You can pay without setting up automatic renewal in several ways. The simplest is to just buy game time with a credit card, and then cancel right afterward. You'll get the time you paid for. Otherwise you can use Crysta to pay, or game time cards.
Thanks, I like doing the conscious effort to renew. This way it is voluntary and I only pay when I want to play. My philosophy to all MMOs.

If you get wiped 4 times after playing most of the dungeon, I believe so yes.

T2 has been giving a 10% buff right off the bat though.

I don't think they give you the percentage after wiping. I think it's after each week they increase the echo buff by 10%. But I don't remember if it was each week or after 2 weeks. Anyone tried coils today? I think today is the reset right?

Aeana

Is there any downside with using your chocobo in battle ? It seems you can still use it as a mount, is it worth it ?
It counts as a party member, which means you cannot enter a duty finder queue while your chocobo is out. Other than that and it taking a party member slot, there's no real downside.

jorgeton

Is there any downside with using your chocobo in battle ? It seems you can still use it as a mount, is it worth it ?

No downside. You can level them up to be a healer, tank, or DPS. They make for great help when you're all alone out there. Mine is a healer, which really helps when I take on Fates alone.

btkadams

Is there any way to tell how long you've played the game? It'd be nice to determine if I'm really getting my money's worth with my sub.

Zomba13

Another thing with the choco companion is that it takes forever to level.

And you can't respec it. So as I took the first two in tank (the cone attack and 5% str) and the first in heal (choco regen) I won't be able to max it out as DPS and get the cool dragoon barding.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
So glad I stopped playing the beta. The thought of losing even more progress past level 6 was too depressing.

Overall greatly enjoying the game. Level 16 CNJ and like a level 13 BTN. Wish they gave you glamours before level 50.. Heh.. So far not much to complain about. Honestly IMHO this game really comes across as the spiritual successor to EQ. Also it seems identical to the game in Log Horizon lol.

Anyway my queue times in duty finder are like instant. I've read that later levels it gets really bad with people choosing to farm fates instead. True?

What are my job options going forward as CNJ? Basically WHM or Paladin?

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
It counts as a party member, which means you cannot enter a duty finder queue while your chocobo is out. Other than that and it taking a party member slot, there's no real downside.

Now that you can use it as a mount while it's out it's definitely worth it if you're soloing.

There is no drawback to using your Chocobo except for the fact that you can't queue up for Duty Finder with it out.

No downside. You can level them up to be a healer, tank, or DPS. They make for great help when you're all alone out there. Mine is a healer, which really helps when I take on Fates alone.

Ok thanks! It sounds good, except for the part about not being able to use Duty Finder. But still has it's uses i guess.

I don't think they give you the percentage after wiping. I think it's after each week they increase the echo buff by 10%. But I don't remember if it was each week or after 2 weeks. Anyone tried coils today? I think today is the reset right?
10% is for HM Primals, Coil and EX Primals increase by 5% per stack.

And it does give you the percentage, a message pops up on the screen saying something along the lines of "The power of echo flows through you. Max HP, damage and healing potency increased by X%"

Frazley

Gotta ask the million dollar question, how does this compare to ESO?

I'm enjoying FFXIV and am considering skipping ESO when it launches in June.

desu

And my FC basically quit since people are leaving left and right. Not surprising though, people looking for a challange basically only get new content all 6 months, which is just waaaay too long. Doing the same content for 4 months for 1-2h a week doesn't keep people interested, sadly.

Aeana

And my FC basically quit since people are leaving left and right. Not surprising though, people looking for a challange basically only get new content all 6 months, which is just waaaay too long. Doing the same content for 4 months for 1-2h a week doesn't keep people interested, sadly.
Did they already beat all of the new Coil turns? Or did they quit when they got the news that turn 9 was beaten by Blue Gartr?
Just strikes me as a weird time to quit since we just got new content. I would expect it a bit later.

Sophia

They do need to increase the rate at which they release content. Removing the fights from the linear progression they have going on would help too. You're either on Leviathan Extreme or still stuck at Titan Extreme. Same thing with Coil progression: You're either on the new coil or stuck at Turn 5....

Did they already beat all of the new Coil turns? Or did they quit when they got the news that turn 9 was beaten by Blue Gartr?
Just strikes me as a weird time to quit since we just got new content. I would expect it a bit later.

It is entirely possible they can't even get in to the new content. That's what happened to one group of friends I played with. They were stuck at Tier 5, and lost a few people so they basically quit for Elder Scrolls Online.

Aeana

They do need to increase the rate at which they release content. Removing the fights from the linear progression they have going on would help too. You're either on Leviathan Extreme or still stuck at Titan Extreme. Same thing with Coil progression: You're either on the new coil or stuck at Turn 5....
That'll happen naturally when the expansion is released and the level cap is increased, I'm sure. That's standard for MMOs.

It is entirely possible they can't even get in to the new content. That's what happened to one group of friends I played with. They were stuck at Tier 5, and lost a few people so they basically quit for Elder Scrolls Online.

Random PF groups are beating Twin now with the echo, so...

desu

No, people have simply gotten bored of the game, even 2.2 can't fix that. Then people have less time than others and that's really bad for a static of 8 people.

2.1 was a joke and should have been in the original game. We've been farming the same content for 4 months and I am surprised people even bothered to pay/play that long with nothing to do (and no new challenge).

And if anything, 2.3 (just buy what might be in there) looks like another half baked patch that won't offer much for people that are interested in raiding content.

Well can't be helped.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

If you are stuck, it's because you haven't assembled the right people to get beyond that point.
The wall that people hit is largely due to them not networking properly to overcome said wall.

You have to find 7 other people with the skill necessary and that play the same time as you or you won't pass the content. (I guess you could get really really lucky)

I hate to break it to folks, but this MMO is not a single player game. It is, in fact, multilayer and people that are interested in end-game content need to network.

Aeana

No, people have simply gotten bored of the game, even 2.2 can't fix that. Then people have less time than others and that's really bad for a static of 8 people.

2.1 was a joke and should have been in the original game. We've been farming the same content for 4 months and I am surprised people even bothered to pay/play that long with nothing to do (and no new challenge).

And if anything, 2.3 (just buy what might be in there) looks like another half baked patch that won't offer much for people that are interested in raiding content.

Well can't be helped.
Well, if you are ONLY in the game to raid the highest tier content and are not interested in doing anything else at all, I can see why the game would be boring for you.

I really enjoy doing Coil stuff, but what I like most about the game is the social aspect. I'll keep playing as long as my friends are playing, and as long as there are people in my FC who need help with stuff. And I've paced myself with leveling other jobs too, so I have lots more of that to do still, and gearing those up. I've also been pacing myself a bit with atma books, although I'll probably pick up on that sooner as we go into turn 8. I fully expect to remain interested in the game until the expansion provided the people I love playing with don't quit.

And you can't respec it. So as I took the first two in tank (the cone attack and 5% str) and the first in heal (choco regen) I won't be able to max it out as DPS and get the cool dragoon barding.

Which ability do you recommend going for?

I main a tank, so the bonuses the tank branch gave off seemed somewhat useful. Then again for solo fights you usually don't need much bonuses, just to finish then quicker so DPS might be the way to go. Then I think some solo content might be harder later on and I've already been killed by those Malboro things at lvl 30, so maybe healing is the way to go and I can't make up my mind...

kiryogi

Banned

Well can't be helped.

Come rejoin us :eek: If you still feel like playing anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom