• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many hotkeys can you have on the PS3/4 controller?

Dragoons are probably the easiest DPS class to play on a controller after Bards.

I've mained DRG since ARR came out and still can't get the controller setup down. Ended up just hooking a keyboard to the PS4.

It wouldn't be so bad if I weren't concerned with Jumps for closing or weaving into my rotation between GCD's. At least on a keyboard, everything's at my fingertips. :S

I've had an easy time with my PLD tanking on the controller, though.

Is there a roadmap anywhere for this game online where devs talk about the future of this game?

Not really. You get some sense of what's happening in each letter to the producer, but I confirmed with a few friends they've pretty much laid out the update structure from here forward (at least until the first expansion).

In alternating patches you will get (starting at 2.2 as an example)

Beastman Tribe Dailies (2 Tribes; this is the trend for now and will assume it will hold true)
A new Primal + Extreme version
3 new dungeons (1 new, 2 hard modes)
New main story quests
More Binding Coil of Bahamut Turns

2.3 will have the same thing, but you won't get more turns instead you'll get an update to the Crystal Tower instead; it should have i100 gear. 2.4 will have what 2.2 did.

Again, this is assuming they stick to the structure they have since launch and from what I can gather from my friends who actually like this game it's going to remain that way; again, at least until the first expansion. If your group is adept at clearing the Coil turns, you basically invalidate the rest of the content added each patch (and therefore the following subsequent patch with the Crystal Tower) outside of second and third string jobs. There are always extra things added like mounts and such, so that's not all you get, but those are the biggest takeaways from each patch.

I enjoyed the whole experience a lot (I still think it's one of the best Final Fantasies story wise since XI and XII, and before that IX) until I hit end game and I realized it was a grind fest. I was also in group that could clear the Coil up to Turn 5 efficiently which was enough to make most of what they added not worth my time other than to gear up second and third jobs. Ultimately those never were used because my best gear was on my main role so I always came that to dungeons so we could clear faster, because after 100 times through the same dungeon, shit gets old and you want to get through it as fast as possible to cap your Tomes for the week.

Taruranto

This book stuff is surprisingly
fun.
A shame the world is so easy to navigate but oh well, I'll take any open-world content I can take (other than shitty fate).

Mesharey

Level 20! I'll try to get the chocobo now.

And:
aUKSlPy.jpg

Level 20! I'll try to get the chocobo now.

And:
aUKSlPy.jpg

That tells you how many inventory and what inventory slots are full... Quite interesting. Also the single line is your equipment.

Oh and if you need help doing any of the dungeons for your chocobo let me know. Zwig Morkai is the name and helping cute human females is my game.

If you open up your HUD settings, you can get rid of it. It's one of the first things I did when I started trophy gathering yesterday. That and resize the entire HUD because god damn it feels like it takes up 70% of the screen by default.

Mesharey

Thanks for the quick responses. XD

Yes, I did change the Hud a lot, made it smaller and moved many things to the edge of the screen, but left this one because I don't know what it is. :p

Zwig Morkai
Thanks, I'm in Ragnarok. :p

How is the Black Mage at the end game on a PS4 controller?

I play on PC with controller, BLM is good for that - some of his abilities are ones that you only need on your main bar for specific boss fights, and some of his earlier abilities get replaced and aren't needed anymore, so you don't have to worry too much about having too many abilities on your bar for easy access with controller.

BLM has I think only one spell that requires ground-targeting (freeze or some such), which is a pain with controller, but on PS4 maybe you could move the ground target with the touchpad (ground targeting with controller on PC requires using your camera stick, and if you have axes inverted on camera stick, they are inverted for that too).

Can someone add this to the OP:

suzu said:
For those who want to know when Ultros or whatever server is open for character creation:

Check this page for updates --> http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/80cd4583bf743600105b947d6906d0909189e479

During periods of high congestion, we may institute a temporary restriction on the creation of new characters.
This information will be updated at the following intervals:
4:00 a.m./ 8:00 a.m./ 1:00 p.m./ 6:00 p.m./ 11:00 p.m. (PDT)

HOW TO JOIN GAF FC ON ULTROS:

STEP #1:

STEP #2:
Submitting a Free Company Application
1. Target a member of GAF, then select View Company Profile from the subcommand menu.
1e50acf08461e355e3e5d4736391ba3f787720f1_1.png

2. Select Submit Application at the bottom of the Company Profile window.
1e50acf08461e355e3e5d4736391ba3f787720f1_2.png

3. Enter a message to be sent with your application, then press Confirm to submit.
1e50acf08461e355e3e5d4736391ba3f787720f1_3.png

4. We will review your application when available, and if your application has been accepted, you will be added to free company automatically.

Note: You do not need to be online to get accepted.

--

Also, two of those 'GAF' FCs should probably be removed from the OP. Having so many listed, especially when some are dead or inactive, just causes confusion. Ethereal on Lamia has 22 members, both members listed as leaders are no longer in the FC, and the founding member from GAF isn't even in it anymore. Huge Materia on Leviathan has a total of 5 members. No idea about how useful or active the linkshells listed have been but they should probably be a separated from the FC list.

Can someone add this to the OP:

HOW TO JOIN GAF FC ON ULTROS:

STEP #1:

STEP #2:
1. Target a member of GAF, then select View Company Profile from the subcommand menu.

2. Select Submit Application at the bottom of the Company Profile window.
1e50acf08461e355e3e5d4736391ba3f787720f1_2.png

3. Enter a message to be sent with your application, then press Confirm to submit.
1e50acf08461e355e3e5d4736391ba3f787720f1_3.png

4. We will review your application when available, and if your application has been accepted, you will be added to free company automatically.

Note: You do not need to be online to get accepted.

--

Also, two of those 'GAF' FCs should probably be removed from the OP. Having so many listed, especially when some are dead or inactive, just causes confusion. Ethereal on Lamia has 22 members, both members listed as leaders are no longer in the FC, and the founding member from GAF isn't even in it anymore. Huge Materia on Leviathan has a total of 5 members. No idea about how useful or active the linkshells listed have been but they should probably be a separated from the FC list.

We all know that the only true GAF guild is on Ultros, all others should be removed from OP... (I kid I kid, a little)

Van

I wish I could put my character on different server ;-; I accidentally put it on another before realizing it wasn't on ultros

Someone might also want to add information about the Steam and PS4 release (including how to upgrade your PS3 copy) along with updating the information about Legacy not being able to transfer to new servers. Legacy characters are now allowed to transfer to non-legacy servers.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Out of curiosity - who is supposed to be marking doors during the Diabolos fight?
Obviously the tank and healer are usually busy, but I feel a bit guilty for not having a mark macro as a BLM.

dubq

STEP #2:

Is there a gathering spot that most members hang out where I can easily do this? Or should I just PM someone and try to meet up with them? I've already completed Step 1, so I just need to actually get into the FC in-game. :)

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Out of curiosity - who is supposed to be marking doors during the Diabolos fight?
Obviously the tank and healer are usually busy, but I feel a bit guilty for not having a mark macro as a BLM.

I usually do it regardless of the roll I'm in unless I'm playing on a controller.
Tanking diablos is not involved at all. You just stand there like a good little meat shield.
Healing is also easy on the first bit of the fight to allow for marking.
DPS can also hold out damage for the first bit to get things marked.

Just ask who wants to do it and let them.

Since the tank and DPS are usually the busiest at the opening of the battle, people typically ask the healer to do it. Anyone should be able to though. When I usually get this dungeon in Duty Roulette as a tank and people don't know the fight, I end up marking the doors... and sometimes opening them too.

IMBored

Is there a gathering spot that most members hang out where I can easily do this? Or should I just PM someone and try to meet up with them? I've already completed Step 1, so I just need to actually get into the FC in-game. :)

The gaf house in the Mist always has some members about, but you can generally find someone on the big cities, next to the crystals or the market.

We're all over the place. You can probably find one of us in the market area or main aethryte of any major city, but the most likely place is at our FC house in the Mist at Limsa Lominsa (Lot 15). You will need to complete a low level quest in Lower La Noscea to gain access to this housing area.

Edit: Beaten like Leviathan, Leviathan, Leviathan, Leviathan...

btkadams

Should I be concerned that I wasted probably 4 attributes on the wrong stats early on in the game with my marauder? Do those stat choices make a difference when I eventually become a warrior?

dubq

The gaf house in the Mist always has some members about, but you can generally find someone on the big cities, next to the crystals or the market.

We're all over the place. You can probably find one of us in the market area or main aethryte of any major city, but the most likely place is at our FC house in the Mist at Limsa Lominsa (Lot 15). You will need to complete a low level quest in Lower La Noscea to gain access to this housing area.

Edit: Beaten like Leviathan, Leviathan, Leviathan, Leviathan...

Alright, looks like I have some grinding to do. Will see you soon, hopefully! :p

Sophia

I bound the numpad to markings and just do it myself if I'm not tanking. After the initial pull I can mark them regardless of what role I'm doing.

Aeana

I've updated the OP with the above info, although I hesitate to remove other server FCs from the list. I'll consider it if nobody from Lamia or Leviathan responds to this post telling me not to.

Should I be concerned that I wasted probably 4 attributes on the wrong stats early on in the game with my marauder? Do those stat choices make a difference when I eventually become a warrior?
Any point not on VIT is wasted on a Warrior, but you can reset them later so don't worry about it.

shwimpy

Hard to believe you haven't seen a GAFer in-game yet... we're everywhere!

IMBored

You can buy a respect item at a grand company, pricey tough. However I don't think even dropping 4 points into int would matter that much in the long term.

Alright, looks like I have some grinding to do. Will see you soon, hopefully! :p

Like we said, even if you don't have access to limsa right now there's always some of us in the cities, if all else fails shout for one of us in a city.

How is the Black Mage at the end game on a PS4 controller?
I'm a PC player, and I had to do endgame content on my PS3 when my video card fried.

I found BLM very comfortable on a controller. I had all my abilities mapped, plus some extra macros that I didn't use on PC, food and mounts on a single xbar slot + extended. If you're a controller player from the get go, you'll be a lot more comfortable than me I suppose.

dubq

Hard to believe you haven't seen a GAFer in-game yet... they're everywhere!

Heh, I just started this morning! :p

Well, technically I started last night.. but that was just to fool around a bit on Malboro until Ultros opened up. I logged in this morning and quickly created my character on the Ultros server so he'd be ready to use when I get home... in 4.5 hours. :(

You can player search one of the head honchos (one is always bound to be on) of the FC and you'll be able to click on view company profile.

Any point not on VIT is wasted on a Warrior, but you can reset them later so don't worry about it.

I've put all my points in VIT as a Marauder, but is there a point where I would put some in STR? Guides I've looked at say VIT > STR > DEX. I'm thinking you'll never put any in DEX, but what about STR?

dubq

You can player search one of the head honchos (one is always bound to be on) of the FC and you'll be able to click on view company profile.

Oh, that's even better. I though you had to be in their vicinity to do stuff like that. Excellent! :D

Tabris

You can buy a respect item at a grand company, pricey tough. However I don't think even dropping 4 points into int would matter that much in the long term.

Matters immensely. Any little bit of VIT you can get is ideal.

The rule of thumb for all new players:

MRD, GLA = VIT
ARC = DEX
LNC, PUG = STR
BLM = INT
CNJ = MND

...and ACN is the tough one as it's shared between SMN and SCH, so if going SMN go all INT, if SCH, all MND.

Aeana

You don't have to physically find a person to apply. You can also do it via player search. Search for one of the officers listed in the OP, that's a good start. You can also try searching for Drama Zeni, Mira Mora, or Odoru Suika. They're online quite a bit. Then just right click/press square on their name and you can find the relevant option there.

I've put all my points in VIT as a Marauder, but is there a point where I would put some in STR? Guides I've looked at say VIT > STR > DEX. I'm thinking you'll never put any in DEX, but what about STR?
Those secondary stats are for stuff like materia and equipment.

Bonus points give you the illusion of customization but in the end the most braindead option is always the best (30 points in STR for melee DPS, 30 VIT for tanks, 30 MND for healers, 30 INT for casters, 30 DEX for Bards). Putting points in other stuff is a waste because this game works on thresholds, like say STR on Warrior you'll need X points in STR before those points matter.

You can pretty much play around with different allocations and see what you like. Your Grand Company sells an item for 10,000 seals which lets you reset stat allocations, as long as you have a few of those you'll never be stuck with any stats.

In general, the job of the tank is to stay alive. DPS is not even a concern for them. There is no functional reason to put points in STR instead on VIT. If you want to go ahead, there just isn't any good reason to do it.

Those secondary stats are for stuff like materia and equipment.

Bonus points give you the illusion of customization but in the end the most braindead option is always the best (30 points in STR for melee DPS, 30 VIT for tanks, 30 MND for healers, 30 INT for casters, 30 DEX for Bards). Putting points in other stuff is a waste because this game works on thresholds, like say STR on Warrior you'll need X points in STR before those points matter.

Got it. Thanks!

Interfectum

Got a question on low level dungeon Limit Breaks. I notice barely anyone initiates them so I've decided to start (as a lancer). What is the general rule for doing a limit break? DPS usually? Am I pissing people off by using it and no one is saying anything?

supergiz

There really should be a notification though similar to the afk above your head showing when you are playing via PS vita remote play. For me at least, I am often on for 20 minute work breaks and given the limited time and that it takes a few minutes to type something in, I often do not see / don't have enough time to reply to tells etc.

Would help if ppl could see I was on remote play.

Aeana

Got a question on low level dungeon Limit Breaks. I notice barely anyone initiates them so I've decided to start (as a lancer). What is the general rule for doing a limit break? DPS usually? Am I pissing people off by using it and no one is saying anything?
Melee DPS is preferred. The other limit breaks are situational. Melee DPS gives a strong single target blow, summoner/black mage give an AoE blast that does less damage to individual targets, but to several at once. Healers and bards have a healing limit break, and tanks have one that boosts defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom