• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zomba13

Which ability do you recommend going for?

I main a tank, so the bonuses the tank branch gave off seemed somewhat useful. Then again for solo fights you usually don't need much bonuses, just to finish then quicker so DPS might be the way to go. Then I think some solo content might be harder later on and I've already been killed by those Malboro things at lvl 30, so maybe healing is the way to go and I can't make up my mind...

If I could respec my choco I'd go for DPS. When soloing (fate grinding, things for Atma books etc) unless you are doing a boss monster fate you can usually survive fine as any class (Tanks can tank, DPS can take a bit of damage and kill things quick enough, SMN/arcanist can get Titan to tank and healers can heal up) so I'd say go for DPS. The quicker things die the better. Could also go healer if you find it hard to survive but it shouldn't really be a problem apart from some boss monster fates.

kaioshade

Got a question on low level dungeon Limit Breaks. I notice barely anyone initiates them so I've decided to start (as a lancer). What is the general rule for doing a limit break? DPS usually? Am I pissing people off by using it and no one is saying anything?

Most early dungeons, you will prob be fine just firing them off. Most runs i have been on usually save them for the final boss, just to quickly finish them off, or for a specific mechanic. (one HM primal fight comes to mind)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
so for PS4 players....

I hooked up my mouse and keyboard yesterday... plays great (obviously). However I'm left in the living room with two TV trays to support my mouse and keyboard... which isn't exactly comfy couch gaming.. so I am thinking about just going back to controller with keyboard for chatting. is anything in the game notably worse with controller only? I healed a bunch of dungeons so far with controller only just fine.. when I get into a dps or tank class does that change? just wondering if I am screwing over my groups by going controller only vs. kbm.

And my FC basically quit since people are leaving left and right. Not surprising though, people looking for a challange basically only get new content all 6 months, which is just waaaay too long. Doing the same content for 4 months for 1-2h a week doesn't keep people interested, sadly.

umm.. you just described EVERY MMO in existence!!! WoW will have 5.4 on the live servers for almost a year before the 6.0 events start to get underway. MoP went 6 months before the first content patch, and before that 4.3 was out for almost a year before MoP even hit. and that's probably the most supported MMO on the planet in general.

What do you mean you "never got a chance to try XI"?

It's still going strong. You can try it today. In my opinion, it is the best MMORPG ever made. I love XIV, but XI is better.

BD6NGoM.jpg

I have this image saved as "FFXI Players"

I have what's probably a dumb question, but this game is huge and it can be overwhelming trying to grasp everything. I'm currently level 22. I can hire Chocobos at porters, but I see many people seem to have the ability to summon them and other creatures to ride? How can I go about acquiring this ability? Thanks GAF.

shwimpy

I have what's probably a dumb question, but this game is huge and it can be overwhelming trying to grasp everything. I'm currently level 22. I can hire Chocobos at porters, but I see many people seem to have the ability to summon them and other creatures to ride? How can I go about acquiring this ability? Thanks GAF.
Do the main quest. You'll eventually get it. The main quest is the one surrounded in flames.

Ffxivarrmainscenarioquesticon.jpg

Sophia

Time to change servers... I am only slightly kidding.

I have actually considered transferring my main over to Ultros to play with the GAF folks. I currently lack a static group, so if I could get one over there that would be pretty convincing....

Here is a (madness) mantra for everyone new to repeat: When in doubt, do the main story. When in doubt, do the main story. When in doubt, do the main story. When in doubt, do the main story...... :p

Zomba13

Here is a mantra for everyone new to repeat: When in doubt, do the main story. When in doubt, do the main story. When in doubt, do the main story. When in doubt, do the main story...... :p

Pretty good mantra.

My first 50 was all through story quests and the other quests in the world when I was there (missed the ones in Fallgourd Float and the hot spring area, Bronze Lake I think) and Fates towards the end. The story introduces you to the dungeon and trial content and gets you good levels and the side quests give good exp and some open up other dungeons.

shwimpy

My first 50 was all through story quests and the other quests in the world when I was there (missed the ones in Fallgourd Float and the hot spring area, Bronze Lake I think) and Fates towards the end. The story introduces you to the dungeon and trial content and gets you good levels and the side quests give good exp and some open up other dungeons.
Dungeons open up through side quests as well? Welp. Guess I should do them then. I'm level 27 and I've been leveling mainly on main quest, hunting log, and dungeons opened up through the main quest.

jorgeton

Here is a (madness) mantra for everyone new to repeat: When in doubt, do the main story. When in doubt, do the main story. When in doubt, do the main story. When in doubt, do the main story...... :p

QFT.

And this even applies once you get past the "end credits." Progressing the main story opens a lot of post-game content (new primals, etc).

If you're still curious Gizu, I connected over the cell network with the Remote Play today. I did my dailies but also just let it sit there to build up data usage. According to the My Verizon data meter, 1 hour of Remote Play streaming used 1,280 MB of data. YMMV

It also burned down 20% of my phone's battery in that one hour.

Noi

If I could respec my choco I'd go for DPS. When soloing (fate grinding, things for Atma books etc) unless you are doing a boss monster fate you can usually survive fine as any class (Tanks can tank, DPS can take a bit of damage and kill things quick enough, SMN/arcanist can get Titan to tank and healers can heal up) so I'd say go for DPS. The quicker things die the better. Could also go healer if you find it hard to survive but it shouldn't really be a problem apart from some boss monster fates.

I use a healing chocobo and they're generally worth it just as a means to never ever die doing FATEs/doing daily quests. Hell, I actually use mine a lot to pull hate off me if I need to interact with something for a quest but have some mobs on me. He'll try to heal me, get hate on everything, I click on the thing and then we both move on without a fuss.

Specially when farming ATMA's I'd usually have to tank bosses like giant ochu from the shroud who require healing in order to survive, in which case I just pull out my healing choco and go to town.

Healing Chocobo is great (especially since I main a melee dps). I only wish I had heard the wisdom to put all the points onto one role sooner. My first couple of levels, I spread out the point distribution, but since I've only put the points into the healer role.

Kenai

So glad I stopped playing the beta. The thought of losing even more progress past level 6 was too depressing.

Overall greatly enjoying the game. Level 16 CNJ and like a level 13 BTN. Wish they gave you glamours before level 50.. Heh.. So far not much to complain about. Honestly IMHO this game really comes across as the spiritual successor to EQ. Also it seems identical to the game in Log Horizon lol.

Anyway my queue times in duty finder are like instant. I've read that later levels it gets really bad with people choosing to farm fates instead. True?

What are my job options going forward as CNJ? Basically WHM or Paladin?

Queue times for healers are instant pre-30 since CNJ is the only baseline job out of the 8 that can select healer. After 30 it gets a bit slower since SCH can join in but it never takes long.

The direct upgrade to CNJ is WHM, and they cross class THM and ACN stuff. As a general rule of thumb you're always going to want to level those two jobs up both to unlock WHM as well as getting those skills to make your main job better (Swiftcast from 26 THM and Virus+Eye4anEye from 34 ACN). PLD is unlocked by GLD + CNJ but is tanking which is a totally different role and requires a separate set of crossclass skills from MRD as well, so if you wanna go that route there's even more to level.

You don't really need those skills for your WHM pre-50 since those are basically raid CDs for dire situations but leveling another job during downtime and figuring out how they work can be kinda fun (or boring). Swiftcast can be especially rough since THM doesn't really come into it's own until the 30s as BLM so that grind can be pretty boring (especially with those DF queue times as DPS after being a healer). But once you get Swftcast you'll see pretty quick after why it's considered mandatory.

Deacon

If you are stuck, it's because you haven't assembled the right people to get beyond that point.
The wall that people hit is largely due to them not networking properly to overcome said wall.

You have to find 7 other people with the skill necessary and that play the same time as you or you won't pass the content. (I guess you could get really really lucky)

I hate to break it to folks, but this MMO is not a single player game. It is, in fact, multilayer and people that are interested in end-game content need to network.

But it's hard to network with people when they feel that old content is worthless and not worth their time.

Do the main quest. You'll eventually get it. The main quest is the one surrounded in flames.

Ffxivarrmainscenarioquesticon.jpg

I have actually considered transferring my main over to Ultros to play with the GAF folks. I currently lack a static group, so if I could get one over there that would be pretty convincing....

Thanks!

Well, if you are ONLY in the game to raid the highest tier content and are not interested in doing anything else at all, I can see why the game would be boring for you.

I really enjoy doing Coil stuff, but what I like most about the game is the social aspect. I'll keep playing as long as my friends are playing, and as long as there are people in my FC who need help with stuff. And I've paced myself with leveling other jobs too, so I have lots more of that to do still, and gearing those up. I've also been pacing myself a bit with atma books, although I'll probably pick up on that sooner as we go into turn 8. I fully expect to remain interested in the game until the expansion provided the people I love playing with don't quit.

Some people's problems (I know mine, my wife and my friend's does) come from the fact we were 1.0 players. This game is 4 years old and two years ago we capped every job available as well as at least one crafting, going on two for my friend and I. When 2.0 hit crafting became even easier than before so I capped all but cooking in a relatively short amount of time with almost zero investment. I finished my miner, but since they took away the little mini game from 1.0 and you just pick what you want, I don't find gather as interactive nor as fun. There are some of us in our 4th year of the game (minus the downtime from 1.0 to 2.0) and we have nothing left to do on the side but dailies and grind Tomes/gear; there's almost nothing else for us to do at least that we find fun. My wife capped every crafting job from nothing (or at least I believe she finished) because gathering didn't interest her and she had nothing else to do but dailies for her Slyph pet. She hasn't logged on since, except to do the holiday events.

XI, although I know this opinion is unpopular, allowed for great horizontal progression by keeping all of it's content relevant and allowed for wonderful amounts of experimentation by rarely putting minimum caps on anything (Salvage was the only thing offhand I remember having a cap). We pushed ourselves a lot in XI by seeing what was possible and what we could achieve with 3 people, with a variety of jobs who weren't hardcore end game players, and that was fun. The three of us could trio some of these dungeons, no it wouldn't be as fast, but allowing the players to experiment with party sizes and job coordination would be fun and would go a long way in my opinion. I've come to concede I'm just not a fan of vertical gear scales (or at least not how it's being handled here) since if you can hit the iLevel cap (or get close) before the Crystal Tower update, you almost might as well not play for the next 2.5~3 months.

I still hope this game does something to change my mind; I've been hoping every patch is the miracle patch to change my mind because I want to love this game as much as I loved XI. Hell I started gaming because of the Final Fantasy back in '89 so part of me hopes this game proves to be worthwhile and a rocking success eventually. I love helping people, hearing new players' expression about great cutscenes or tough battles in thrilling, but the content and design is just so boring and lazy to me as it stands now.

Guys, are you all getting trophies? I upgraded from PS3 to PS4, and I'm using the beta 2 client still. However I've yet to earn any trophies, or for the trophy list to show up in my trophy collection. I also noticed that when I go to the "more info" section on the FF XIV icon it gives me the option to buy, as if I don't own the game. I wasn't able to use the code from Mogstation because it said it had already been used.

Kandinsky

It counts as a party member, which means you cannot enter a duty finder queue while your chocobo is out. Other than that and it taking a party member slot, there's no real downside.

I thought it had an exp penalty like FFXI's pets?, not that it matters anyway lol

Yuripaw

Banned
Guys, are you all getting trophies? I upgraded from PS3 to PS4, and I'm using the beta 2 client still. However I've yet to earn any trophies, or for the trophy list to show up in my trophy collection. I also noticed that when I go to the "more info" section on the FF XIV icon it gives me the option to buy, as if I don't own the game. I wasn't able to use the code from Mogstation because it said it had already been used.

I have the same problem. I have yet to get an answer about this from anyone :(

There's no exp penalty for your Chocobo being out and at the rate he levels, leave it out as much as possible lol. I always kept at least 50, usually around 200, so I'd always be able to call her during FATEs and such if I was on my own or in a small group.

My friend had to delete Beta2 client and re-install the client that's up now before he could get anything to pop.

Yuripaw

Banned
My friend had to delete Beta2 client and re-install the client that's up now before he could get anything to pop.[

I've thought about trying to do that, but since the code that mogstation gave me keeps coming up as already been used, I'm afraid that if I delete the beta client, that I won't be able to download it again.

Made a giraffe-neck alt on Ultros, now maybe I can pay attention to the story and play with ya'll. I wonder how long it'll take before I get 50 though lol
Is there always going to be a class quest every 5 levels?
Until 30 yes, then it's the job quests every 5 levels.

If you go into your Library of games in the story, FFXIV should be there for you to redownload from. I'd double check that first, but he did it yesterday and had no problem. I make no promises though, and god forbid you have do deal with SE phone support.

Healing Chocobo is great (especially since I main a melee dps). I only wish I had heard the wisdom to put all the points onto one role sooner. My first couple of levels, I spread out the point distribution, but since I've only put the points into the healer role.

Welp. Thanks for the insight guys, but I remain as confused as ever. At least tank seems to be out (I think).

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

I have the beta 2 client and am fine.. however when I went to download the 4/8/2014 launcher it forced me to exit and then did a PSN update of the game. your best bet (unfortunately) is yeah... delete the game and reinstall.

I've thought about trying to do that, but since the code that mogstation gave me keeps coming up as already been used, I'm afraid that if I delete the beta client, that I won't be able to download it again.
it will show up in your library when you delete it. you can download from there. or your download list from the web store.

GordonShumway

Neo Member
I have a (probably noobish) question.

The seasonal event - you get 30 bronze eggs going through the quests. How do you get more? I thought you couldn't replay quests. Are there other ways to get them?

Just started the game over the weekend. First MMO, really addicting.

Does the retail ps4 version come with a code to link to a square enix account? im trying to link my psn account to my se account and it is saying i cant because my "PSN account is currently incomplete".

Aeana

I have a (probably noobish) question.

The seasonal event - you get 30 bronze eggs going through the quests. How do you get more? I thought you couldn't replay quests. Are there other ways to get them?

Just started the game over the weekend. First MMO, really addicting.
Around the world you can find coddled spriggans. Kill them to get eggs.

There's no exp penalty for your Chocobo being out and at the rate he levels, leave it out as much as possible lol. I always kept at least 50, usually around 200, so I'd always be able to call her during FATEs and such if I was on my own or in a small group.

My friend had to delete Beta2 client and re-install the client that's up now before he could get anything to pop.

Well, I'm starting the long journey of redownloading the client. Wish me luck Gaf.

Teknoman

Some people's problems (I know mine, my wife and my friend's does) come from the fact we were 1.0 players. This game is 4 years old and two years ago we capped every job available as well as at least one crafting, going on two for my friend and I. When 2.0 hit crafting became even easier than before so I capped all but cooking in a relatively short amount of time with almost zero investment. I finished my miner, but since they took away the little mini game from 1.0 and you just pick what you want, I don't find gather as interactive nor as fun. There are some of us in our 4th year of the game (minus the downtime from 1.0 to 2.0) and we have nothing left to do on the side but dailies and grind Tomes/gear; there's almost nothing else for us to do at least that we find fun. My wife capped every crafting job from nothing (or at least I believe she finished) because gathering didn't interest her and she had nothing else to do but dailies for her Slyph pet. She hasn't logged on since, except to do the holiday events.

XI, although I know this opinion is unpopular, allowed for great horizontal progression by keeping all of it's content relevant and allowed for wonderful amounts of experimentation by rarely putting minimum caps on anything (Salvage was the only thing offhand I remember having a cap). We pushed ourselves a lot in XI by seeing what was possible and what we could achieve with 3 people, with a variety of jobs who weren't hardcore end game players, and that was fun. The three of us could trio some of these dungeons, no it wouldn't be as fast, but allowing the players to experiment with party sizes and job coordination would be fun and would go a long way in my opinion. I've come to concede I'm just not a fan of vertical gear scales (or at least not how it's being handled here) since if you can hit the iLevel cap (or get close) before the Crystal Tower update, you almost might as well not play for the next 2.5~3 months.

I still hope this game does something to change my mind; I've been hoping every patch is the miracle patch to change my mind because I want to love this game as much as I loved XI. Hell I started gaming because of the Final Fantasy back in '89 so part of me hopes this game proves to be worthwhile and a rocking success eventually. I love helping people, hearing new players' expression about great cutscenes or tough battles in thrilling, but the content and design is just so boring and lazy to me as it stands now.

Maybe i'm not feeling this since I decided to start fresh. I mean i've been around since 1.0 alpha test, and on the day my legacy character hit the 2.0 world, I felt overwhelmed with all the new skills and whatnot. Ended up starting over, relearned my job from scratch (yet with 1.0 familiarity in the back of my head) so things didnt feel so easy for me/ I didnt skyrocket to high tier content. That and i'd say pacing yourself helps.

On that note, I know this will sound like giving them excuses, but 2.0 is still technically a "new" game. By the time XI hit outside of japan, they had several large patches and a expansion under their belt, with another practically right around the corner, so we got barraged with content off the bat.

I'm looking at 2.1 and 2.2 as the final "band aids" placed on XIV, and fully expect 2.3 to be a huge patch, especially now that all 3 of the platforms they planned to support are up and running.

btkadams

Are you sure that you should be earning them and haven't? I haven't earned a trophy on the ps4 yet but I looked at the list and I didn't think I had done anything to earn any more. It seems like there aren't any between completing your first instance duty (~level 15) and completing the story, doing 1000 levequests or 1000 something else, etc.

WolvenOne

Just a bit of a PSA, while transferring over to Ultros might help, it's no guarantee of being able to get a static group. Not only are the openings not necessarily going to match your class and schedule, but, the human element can complicate matters as well.

Case in point, right now about three or four groups have expressed an interest in having me either sub or primary roles in first or second Coil. As of now I'm not committing specifically to any because.....

O_O

I hate disappointing people.

Stupid lockout system!

Edit: This is why I was asking about the practicalities of leveling Alts last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom