• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaccard

Should I buy this game? Is there a trial period? Is there sub for this game? What's the GAF community like on Balmung? Why can't I create a character on Ultros! How do I join the GAF guild? What's tanking? How do I move this or that or resize this or that? When is the first dungeon? I'm going to play Gladiator and subjob White Mage. How do I maximize my SMN DPS I'm so bad at this job, this game and life in general. Here's some screenshots of my lala. Titan EX wahhh wahhh.

/gafthread

You forgot blog posts

How does one get into the FC?

By reading the OP

Sophia

This thread cycles through the same topics faster than the persona community thread.

Seems like a significant amount of people are entering this thread asking the same questions someone just asked previously. Mind you, that's not entirely a bad thing, but sometimes I do wish people would read the last page or two to see if their question was answered. :p

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Joins FC
minutes later
homer-simpson-bush-gif.gif

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Seems like a significant amount of people are entering this thread asking the same questions someone just asked previously. Mind you, that's not entirely a bad thing, but sometimes I do wish people would read the last page or two to see if their question was answered. :p

kinda easy to skip stuff on a cell phone

JLeack

Banned
Before I transfer I'd like to lock down that I'd have some people to play with.

I'm a 50 PLD / 50 BLM / 36 SCH. I main Paladin and have my relic weapon + shield. Would anyone be up for doing some of the more casual content with me on Ultros?

Sorian

Banned
So glad we're being dicks to new members now... it's like a real MMO community finally!

Nah, not enough elitist attitude to cause a big enough rift. I give it another year.

But seriously, this isn't an MMO thing. There are graveyard threads of banned members from the forums every once in awhile because so many don't feel like reading the OP. I'm all for a welcoming community but the same questions can get tiring. I don't care myself but I'm not going to blame the people that do.

Sophia

So glad we're being dicks to new members now... it's like a real MMO community finally!

Hey now. Everyone's actually been really generous about helping people out in this thread. :eek:

I admit there's a few questions I've ignored however in favor of letting other people answer them. >.<

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Should I buy this game? Is there a trial period? Is there sub for this game? What's the GAF community like on Balmung? Why can't I create a character on Ultros! How do I join the GAF guild? What's tanking? How do I move this or that or resize this or that? When is the first dungeon? I'm going to play Gladiator and subjob White Mage. How do I maximize my SMN DPS I'm so bad at this job, this game and life in general. Here's some screenshots of my lala. Titan EX wahhh wahhh.

/gafthread

Well, what is it like?

Ken

/gafthread

you seem upset

Gaz_RB

Before I transfer I'd like to lock down that I'd have some people to play with.

I'm a 50 PLD / 50 BLM / 36 SCH. I main Paladin and have my relic weapon + shield. Would anyone be up for doing some of the more casual content with me on Ultros?

You would for sure, 100% have people to play with. Especially with all the new players that will soon be hitting endgame. The GAF FC is large.

Cloudy

Banned

Gold Member
Lol just had an amazing and bizarre two groups for the first 2 dungeons. First one the group insisted on trying it without a healer (I figured it was the first one it might be possible & went along with it) yes we wiped....a lot....I gave up after 10 attempts of the penultimate boss. Managed to get it done with a better lineup after (no deaths lol).

Second dungeon we had a tank who didn't like aggro and a healer who did! Craziest hour of my life trying to keep him alive, to make matters worse neither would talk (and I presume couldn't speak English or any of the languages in the translator lol) and so there is two DPS trying to fend off mobs from the healer while the tank kites a single enemy and the healer is frantically trying to heal himself/us. It actually went reasonably smoothly, crazy as it was.

Despite the dodgy groups I've been having the most fun I've had with any MMO in years. Love playing with the controller too it feels great. If I was going to be overly critical I would say the AA and filtering on PS4 could be better but that isn't detracting from my fun, so meh ;)

Sorian

Banned
Lol just had an amazing and bizarre two groups for the first 2 dungeons. First one the group insisted on trying it without a healer (I figured it was the first one it might be possible & went along with it) yes we wiped....a lot....I gave up after 10 attempts of the penultimate boss. Managed to get it done with a better lineup after (no deaths lol).

Second dungeon we had a tank who didn't like aggro and a healer who did! Craziest hour of my life trying to keep him alive, to make matters worse neither would talk (and I presume couldn't speak English or any of the languages in the translator lol) and so there is two DPS trying to fend off mobs from the healer while the tank kites a single enemy and the healer is frantically trying to heal himself/us. It actually went reasonably smoothly, crazy as it was.

Despite the dodgy groups I've been having the most fun I've had with any MMO in years. Love playing with the controller too it feels great. If I was going to be overly critical I would say the AA and filtering on PS4 could be better but that isn't detracting from my fun, so meh ;)

My pugilist is only level 29 and was thrown on the backburner weeks ago but if I learned anything from running low level dungeons with her, it's that as a melee dps in beginner dungeons, you should expect to do the tanking because the "tank" is probably useless.

Istaerion

You have to apply here:

http://neogaf.guildwork.com/forum/threads/520d9875c16e4d76c279eeb0-welcome-to-gather-against-fate

And then in-game by searching or clicking on any GAF member

I'm not applying myself, but rather want to refer some people I know who have the game and wish to join the NeoGAF Free Company while they wait out their account approvals.

One person already went through the procedure listed on the front page, but doesn't appear to have gotten any results.

This is why I've been asking if I have to be a member of the Free Company myself to actually refer people who don't have a full-fledged NeoGAF membership just yet.

Frankly though, I don't know if I should even bother now since it seems new players aren't exactly treated in the best light judging by the last few pages.

dcye

Frankly though, I don't know if I should even bother now since it seems new players aren't exactly treated in the best light judging by the last few pages.

1. I'm not even on the same server as GAF.
2. The last 50 pages of this thread have been experienced GAF players doing everything they can to help new players despite constantly being asked the exact same questions over and over.

Amir0x

Banned
this is me earlier:

"Hey guys what's going on here"
"Oh we're fighting these groups of enemies, it's cool shit."
"Ok, that's neat well I'll be going now..."
*walks a bit further*
"Hey, there's no enemies here."
*watches as a rush of like seven enemies comes running back to near my exact spot after being kited*
*they all aggro me at once*
*I die*

MayMay

Banned
Had the game idling for 5 hours now, still on the character creation screen. I really hope Ultros will open up soon. I really missed it by a couple of minutes, I started creating my character while it was still open. And when I got to the end it was locked down. >_>

(And yes, I read the OP blablabla :p)

Tomat

Had the game idling for 5 hours now, still on the character creation screen. I really hope Ultros will open up soon. I really missed it by a couple of minutes, I started creating my character while it was still open. And when I got to the end it was locked down. >_>

(And yes, I read the OP blablabla :p)

Make sure you save your character so you don't have to make them again, just in case.

Istaerion

1. I'm not even on the same server as GAF.
2. The last 50 pages of this thread have been experienced GAF players doing everything they can to help new players despite constantly being asked the exact same questions over and over.

I couldn't care less what server you're on, it's still being presented in this thread. I'm sure I'm not the first or last person to start getting turned off joining the free companies present here from the posts presented by you and some select others.

But that's besides the point, I don't want to start some drama fest here when I all I really wanted accomplished was my question being answered. It looks like it's just being lumped with the many "How do I join the FC?" questions when mine is actually quite different in nature.

chrono01

I don't believe you need to be referred, Istaerion. You don't even need to have a NeoGAF account.

As long as you apply, and are accepted, that is all that's needed.

Cloudy

Banned
I couldn't care less what server you're on, it's still being presented in this thread. I'm sure I'm not the first or last person to start getting turned off joining the free companies present here from the posts presented by you and some select others.

But that's besides the point, I don't want to start some drama fest here when I all I really wanted accomplished was my question being answered. It looks like it's just being lumped with the many "How do I join the FC?" questions when mine is actually quite different in nature.

Everyone has been super nice since I joined *shrugs*

Istaerion

A NeoGAF account isn't required to join the Free Company, Istaerion. As long as you apply, and are accepted, that is all that's needed.

That's the thing: a person I referred earlier went through all the official hoops and still remains in the same position. In fact, I believe they were even asked if I had a character in the free company.

Now, again, I ask if it's necessary for me to be in the free company to refer other folks who don't have NeoGAF memberships at the moment due to account approvals. I know you stated you don't, but it appears to be otherwise so far from what I've been told by this friend of mine.

Everyone has been super nice since I joined *shrugs*

I'm not saying people aren't nice, but rather there's been some tension present on the thread as of late due to new players asking questions... oftentimes repeated. I couldn't tell you how NeoGAF carries on in-game as I haven't experienced it myself or had anyone personally tell me anything of their experiences either.

I'm hoping the atmosphere is great as I'd love to join down the road with some buddies of mine whom are also interested in joining despite not being actual NeoGAF members just yet.

Alucrid

Banned
I'm not applying myself, but rather want to refer some people I know who have the game and wish to join the NeoGAF Free Company while they wait out their account approvals.

One person already went through the procedure listed on the front page, but doesn't appear to have gotten any results.

This is why I've been asking if I have to be a member of the Free Company myself to actually refer people who don't have a full-fledged NeoGAF membership just yet.

Generally yes, since the people reviewing the application will confirm in game that you're willing to vouch for them. I'm not the leader nor moderators of the FC though so don't take my word for it.

edit: official response below

Aeana

I don't believe you need to be referred, Istaerion. You don't even need to have a NeoGAF account.

As long as you apply, and are accepted, that is all that's needed.
We don't accept people who just submit applications that are like "yo i sawls u on the internet n thought u were cool can I join?"

Any GAF member is welcome, any friend or family member of a GAF FC member is welcome. Beyond that we're a bit selective, just because we have limited space.

Gold Member
My pugilist is only level 29 and was thrown on the backburner weeks ago but if I learned anything from running low level dungeons with her, it's that as a melee dps in beginner dungeons, you should expect to do the tanking because the "tank" is probably useless.
I had an awesome one earlier, was really good at holding all the mobs, was marking, the works! The healer was more of an issue in my second dungeon TBF, I can handle tanking a bit if he isn't drawing all the mobs lol. Still 'twas all good fun :)

We don't accept people who just submit applications that are like "yo i sawls u on the internet n thought u were cool can I join?".

You'll have to excuse Makoto he is too nice and just wants everyone to join the FC so more people can suffer through his jokes.

chrono01

We don't accept people who just submit applications that are like "yo i sawls u on the internet n thought u were cool can I join?"
That is a very good thing.

Any GAF member is welcome, any friend or family member of a GAF FC member is welcome. Beyond that we're a bit selective, just because we have limited space.
So there we have it! Apply today, but please do make coherent sentences upon doing so. Our Officers will glance over your application(s) in due time, and accept if they meet our rather strict (not really, it's actually pretty basic) recruitment restrictions.

We hope to see you on Ultros, and thus, in our Free Company soon!

You'll have to excuse Makoto he is too nice and just wants everyone to join the FC so more people can suffer through his jokes.
You can read me like a book.

My plan, it is foiled.

Istaerion

That's fine and perfectly understandable.

How about people who submit an application while stating they're being referred by a specific member of NeoGAF but not the actual Free Company?

I know I had one person earlier do exactly that and they were asked if I was a member of the Free Company. They haven't gotten anything else in terms of response since then from what I've been told.

I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but I just want to know if I'm doing something wrong and what I can do to fix it.

Aeana

That's fine and perfectly understandable.

How about people who submit an application while stating they're being referred by a specific member of NeoGAF but not the actual Free Company?

I know I had one person earlier do exactly that and they were asked if I was a member of the Free Company. They haven't gotten anything else in terms of response since then from what I've been told.

I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but I just want to know if I'm doing something wrong and what I can do to fix it.

If you aren't a member of the free company and they aren't GAF members, the application will probably not be accepted.

Istaerion

If you aren't a member of the free company and they aren't GAF members, the application will probably not be accepted.

Alright then, that's all I needed to know; thanks!

I'll see if I can have myself join in the near future so I can refer some people who would really love to be a part of the community while they're sitting through the account approval phase.

I hope i am not stirring up some of the seniors here. I just love this game, wasn't able to play it the past couple of days to spent a good chunk of this weekend on it today. I'd appreciate if someone can help me with the following, since i seem to get ignored on the chat :[ and since i am playing on PS4, typing while gaming is not easy.

* Where do i get a mount. I see people running around with them all the time. So cool!
* I am currently level 16 and just finished
The story section at the Giant Tree with boss battle with the mage
. While the game isn't really hard so far, i would like to know where i can get good equipments for my character since i have about 10k+ gold just lying around. Or should i just save them?
* Crafting will be explained by the game right? I mean i see people talking about crafting stuff but i haven't encountered it yet so no idea how to do it.

My nick is Lord Malik BTW and i am currently Lvl 16 Lancer

Thanks in advance! Love GAF <3

Tomat

I hope i am not stirring up some of the seniors here. I just love this game, wasn't able to play it the past couple of days to spent a good chunk of this weekend on it today. I'd appreciate if someone can help me with the following, since i seem to get ignored on the chat :[ and since i am playing on PS4, typing while gaming is not easy.

* Where do i get a mount. I see people running around with them all the time. So cool!
* I am currently level 16 and just finished
The story section at the Giant Tree with boss battle with the mage
. While the game isn't really hard so far, i would like to know where i can get good equipments for my character since i have about 10k+ gold just lying around. Or should i just save them?
* Crafting will be explained by the game right? I mean i see people talking about crafting stuff but i haven't encountered it yet so no idea how to do it.

My nick is Lord Malik BTW and i am currently Lvl 16 Lancer

Thanks in advance! Love GAF <3

Keep following the story quest. You should get your Chocobo somewhere around 20 after you join a Grand Company. You'll have to get 2000 seals for whatever Grand Company you join (you get them through Grand Company Leve Quests). They'll explain it when you get there, so keep progressing in thet story.

Gear you should be getting from dungeons and quests. Check out side quests here and there in whatever area you're in, those offer gear too.

Can't answer your crafting question.

Keep following the story quest. You should get your Chocobo somewhere around 20 after you join a Grand Company. You'll have to get 2000 seals for whatever Grand Company you join (you get them through Grand Company Leve Quests). They'll explain it when you get there, so keep progressing in thet story.

Gear you should be getting from dungeons and quests. Check out side quests here and there in whatever area you're in, those offer gear too.

Can't answer your crafting question.
Thanks for the swift response. Can't wait to get one of those. Wish i had gotten CE, the Fat Chocobo is just so lovely, lol.

As for the Gear, i haven't brought a single one of them. All of my current one is from sidequests so far. So i guess that's what i will be using for the most part.

dcye

Don't waste your money buying gear, drops and quest rewards will be good enough until you get to the end. Crafting isnt explained at all in the main story, but the crafting class quests generally explain them well enough at a basic level. If you want to be good at it you'll need to research though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom