• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

Where can I buy the game the cheapest for PC? Don't care about a dvd, so just a key I guess. Are there bundles? A few of my friends may want to start as well. Also, can you choose where to play or do you need a key from your region?

Newegg has it for $15 for PC: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832166021

Ok guys.

I've never played an MMO in my life. I'm considering picking this up on PS4, but I'm not sure if I'd like it or not. So a few questions:

1) How friendly is the game for a newcomer to the genre
2) What's a reference point for me for how the game plays. People called FF12 a "single player MMO" a lot when that came out, is that accurate? I quite liked FF12.
3) How easy/fun is the game to play largely alone? I don't have friends playing the game, and, quite frankly I have a hard time committing to certain times to play so it's not easy for me to play with a set group at set times.

Add in any useful info for a newcomer like me if you think it's relevant. Thanks in advance.

1) Extremely beginner friendly, the first 30 levels are essentially a tutorial.
2) Final Fantasy 12 is probably the closest reference, or Xenoblade if you've played.
3) You can solo a significant amount of content alone, and the Duty Roulette can automatically find you groups for most story content. You won't need to set time aside unless you want to get into Binding Coil.

Sizzle55

Very tempted to try this, Appeals to me more than ESO, Only MMO I have played is DC Online how does this compare and how does it control with the DS4? Sorry for the noob questions, but if it controls well and isn't super complex I will try it.

system11

1) Extremely beginner friendly, the first 30 levels are essentially a tutorial.

This is true but there are a few snagging points where it's less than obvious what to do, quite a bit isn't covered in the in-game help so it really helped me to have a few friends already playing plus the GAF free company.

SRTtoZ

Very tempted to try this, Appeals to me more than ESO, Only MMO I have played is DC Online how does this compare and how does it control with the DS4? Sorry for the noob questions, but if it controls well and isn't super complex I will try it.

DCUO isnt even in the same ballpark as FFXIV. The only thing DC has over FFXIV is that it has superheroes. Thats it. The DS4 works great but I prefer mouse/KB as its always been my thing for MMO's.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I re-subbed. WoW wasn't doing anything for me and GW2, as fun as it can be, just wasn't scratching that itch either.

I'm blaming Masayoshi Soken's music. It's been in my head all day.

Thanks to everyone who joined The Worst Coil Group's EX primal train last night. With everyone's help, we got six gaffers their Titan EX clears and four their Ifrit EX clears, and I got two primal focuses and deprecated earrings. o/

We started out by hitting Titan EX, and got blown up and landslided a lot, moved on to Ifrit EX and got blown up and seared a lot, before derailing the train and doubling back to Titan EX to get some fresh faces blown up and landslided, and then returning to Ifrit EX for violent bouts of wind.

See you all in Leviathan EX.

http://youtu.be/GC_mV1IpjWA

I re-subbed. WoW wasn't doing anything for me and GW2, as fun as it can be, just wasn't scratching that itch either.

I'm blaming Masayoshi Soken's music. It's been in my head all day.

The music that's currently going on for the easter holiday event stays in my head lol. It's so darn catchy. Papiyah! papapapa papiyah!

So I bought the game yesterday and Ultros isn't taking any more people at the moment. How often do servers open to let more people in since I think i'll wait for that before I play.

Also I live in the EU and was worried about playing with GAF on Ultros because of the timezone difference. Are people on at most times? Cheers.

bunbun777

What a 'lil cutie, not usually a fan but this one looks pretty hyur:

j7ITc7A.jpg

supergiz

Thanks to everyone who joined The Worst Coil Group's EX primal train last night. With everyone's help, we got six gaffers their Titan EX clears and four their Ifrit EX clears, and I got two primal focuses and deprecated earrings. o/

We started out by hitting Titan EX, and got blown up and landslided a lot, moved on to Ifrit EX and got blown up and seared a lot, before derailing the train and doubling back to Titan EX to get some fresh faces blown up and landslided, and then returning to Ifrit EX for violent bouts of wind.

See you all in Leviathan EX.

http://youtu.be/GC_mV1IpjWA

I just got to ex levi too ! Let me know if you are ever up for some farming for weapons / mounts etc.

SRTtoZ

So I bought the game yesterday and Ultros isn't taking any more people at the moment. How often do servers open to let more people in since I think i'll wait for that before I play.

Also I live in the EU and was worried about playing with GAF on Ultros because of the timezone difference. Are people on at most times? Cheers.

Every couple hours. Try late at night or early in the morning.

Sizzle55

DCUO isnt even in the same ballpark as FFXIV. The only thing DC has over FFXIV is that it has superheroes. Thats it. The DS4 works great but I prefer mouse/KB as its always been my thing for MMO's.
Sounds good might have to give it a crack! One last question can a solo player get far or is it a group game mainly? Thanks

wapplew

Reached 50 and finished main story yesterday, very enjoyable journey.
Then I did some research on end game stuff...so much grind!
Also healing with controller in light party is easy, but a bit overwhelm in full party, I can't imagine how chaos it would be in a full raid.
Play whack a mole by pressing up up down down is not that efficient.

Every couple hours. Try late at night or early in the morning.
Yeah, when I first tried the game, Ultros was closed. After work at about 7:30AM ET, Ultros was open so I started a new character. Still haven't applied for GAF FC membership though - but it's only cuz I can't tear myself away from the game.

Marco1

I really enjoyed LOTRO and WOW when I as a PC gamer but I'm now a console gamer only and would like to try this or DCUO. Which one would better cater my needs?
I wish EA would bring SWTOR to PS4.

Ken

Ahhh yes, Titan Ex...I really should take on that fight as my alt so I can never bother with it again.

is this your attitude towards anything challenging

I really enjoyed LOTRO and WOW when I as a PC gamer but I'm now a console gamer only and would like to try this or DCUO. Which one would better cater my needs?
I wish EA would bring SWTOR to PS4.

i played lotro. i like this game more than dcuo

Dunan

Ok guys.

I've never played an MMO in my life. I'm considering picking this up on PS4, but I'm not sure if I'd like it or not. So a few questions:

1) How friendly is the game for a newcomer to the genre
2) What's a reference point for me for how the game plays. People called FF12 a "single player MMO" a lot when that came out, is that accurate? I quite liked FF12.
3) How easy/fun is the game to play largely alone? I don't have friends playing the game, and, quite frankly I have a hard time committing to certain times to play so it's not easy for me to play with a set group at set times.

Add in any useful info for a newcomer like me if you think it's relevant. Thanks in advance.

1) Supposedly it's on the friendly side but as a a fellow newcomer to MMOs I've been struggling mightily. Magic works completely differently and there are many brand-new concepts, such as enemies having separate enmity (which can in turn be influenced using your actions) for each member in your party, that you simply wouldn't ever be expecting if you've never played an MMO. It's been a struggle but it's been pretty rewarding, particularly among fellow Gaffers.

2) Fellow FF12 lover here and this game plays quite differently but has a similar feel architecturally, so if you liked wandering around Rabanastre and Archades, odds are you'll also like wandering around Ul'dah.

This game takes itself a little less seriously than FF12 does but it's still a lot of fun. Even if English isn't your first language, play the game in English. Michael Christopher Koji Fox did a fantastic job on the English translation and it shines where the Japanese original is (frankly) pretty dull.

3) I find soloing to be a lot harder because there's no one there to give you advice and also often no way of figuring out what it is you're doing wrong when you fail. Fortunately there's always something different to be doing, so if you get stuck, just switch to another class and do other things for a while. Switching between a combat class and a crafter class can be pretty refreshing.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I hit level 20. Do I have to do the third dungeon quest before I can start getting my chocobo?

You get your Chocobo license through a sidequest right after you join a grand company which is a storyline event that does come a bit after.

N.A

Banned
So back in October I essentially quit doing hardcore endgame due to drama and moved server with a friend. I took a break until last month as I didn't find 2.1 interesting. 2.2 dragged me back in though and over the last month I have soloed our FC to rank 6 (this was incredibly tedious!) and raised nearly 3 million gil to buy the land and house!

Today I finally get the reward!

My friend should be shocked when she returns soon :p

orion434

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Tried the Atma theory on a Japanese server using the local Jp time and it didn't work at all.

So back in October I essentially quit doing hardcore endgame due to drama and moved server with a friend. I took a break until last month as I didn't find 2.1 interesting. 2.2 dragged me back in though and over the last month I have soloed our FC to rank 6 (this was incredibly tedious!) and raised nearly 3 million gil to buy the land and house!

Today I finally get the reward!

My friend should be shocked when she returns soon :p

That's insane. How many members does your FC consist of?

Mik2121

How's the Pug class? I was thinking of rolling one but they seemed squishy from what I've seen from videos.

I'm doing it now because I need it to become a bard and compared to the archer it feels kind of weak and slightly boring...not to say anything about the weapons being so boring too...

Hazanko

Banned
Anyway to make the cursor disappear when switching off virtual mouse mode? I've been using it in a few fates but the pointer stays on screen, even after I exit the mode.

Jayhawk

How's the Pug class? I was thinking of rolling one but they seemed squishy from what I've seen from videos.

Monk has the potential for the highest dps output for fights where GL3 can be kept up. Monk is definitely not weaker than Bard, and is stronger than Dragoon in longer fights.

Geoff9920

I see GAF tags everywhere I go on Ultros. You guys are all over. Always makes me happy to see the tag as I'm running around doing solo stuff.

Personally, I hated DC universe.

Final Fantasy 14 is leagues over DC universe.

The controls is pretty nice actually. I can't believe they got the controls down so well for a game like this where there's a bunch of stuff that seems like only a mouse could handle. They really work the shit out of that controller and pretty much utilize every damn button combination you can think of. And it is EXTREMELY customizable.

There is a learning curve though about how to use the UI and the hotbars because they use the track pad a lot and I dont think any other game has made great use of the track pad like this game has and relys as heavy on it as this game so that will take some getting used to.

But once you get used to the hot bars and the UI, the game handles very well with a controller. How they make it so you can use like 26 skills using a controller is pure witchcraft.

NysGAF

Newbie questions incoming.

I played dungeon number two last night and it was a disaster. I'm a conjurer. One of the DPS members ran straight into every battle ahead of the tank. The good in me tried to heal both him and the tank and keep everyone alive, but that caused all the baddies to notice me and soon I was dead. What do I do in that situation? Is it acceptable to just let the DPS die as my job is generally to keep the tank alive? And I still don't see anything from my party in the chat window, all I see is the FC conversation. There must be a chat window for my current dungeon party, right? How do I open that up? I'm wondering if my team is telling me what to do and I'm missing it all...

Mik2121

I played dungeon number two last night and it was a disaster. I'm a conjurer. One of the DPS members ran straight into every battle ahead of the tank. The good in me tried to heal both him and the tank and keep everyone alive, but that caused all the baddies to notice me and soon I was dead. What do I do in that situation? Is it acceptable to just let the DPS die as my job is generally to keep the tank alive? And I still don't see anything from my party in the chat window, all I see is the FC conversation. There must be a chat window for my current dungeon party, right? How do I open that up? I'm wondering if my team is telling me what to do and I'm missing it all...

If it puts yourself or the tank at risk, I'd say yeah. And I speak as a DPS too...

I'm doing it now because I need it to become a bard and compared to the archer it feels kind of weak and slightly boring...not to say anything about the weapons being so boring too...

RIght now I'm a archer and pugilist, both at level 28. Trying to get Monk and Bard.

My favorite is the Archer though, simply because of the way I play my archer. I last a LOT longer in fights with why archer because I bob and weave in battle, staying out of the enemies attack range while attacking at the same time.
Can't do that with the pugilist since I have to be within melee range to hit them, so I take a lot more hits.

But I will say, the pugilist damage output is noticeably higher. With certain skill combinations, the damage output can get crazy, like hitting the enemy with 3 damage over time skills, and then activating your damage increase skills, and then using the greased lightining combo from the enemies back, and they go down pretty damn fast.

But man, you gotta watch some videos of how the MONKS play, got dayum. They be fuckin dudes up. All the monks I've seen out the field, they seemed to be doing the most damage as I usually see their damage numbers being higher than other classes of the same level.

and also, DAT LVL 50 MONK GEAR
img_02.png

Zomba13

/p for party chat (default bright blue colour), it should show up along with FC chat and other messages in the default chat window.

If that happens again ask the DPS to let the tank grab things first before running into monsters. Doesn't sound like you did anything wrong there, just got overwhelmed by an overzealous DPS. Next time I'd speak up about it if it happens again and if the DPS still run into battle before the tank I'd say It's ok to let them die as a means of teaching them to let the tank go first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom