• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought the PS3 version for $20. Sooo all I need to do is go to mog station to upgrade to the PS4 version right? How is the archer/bard class and which race is the best fit?

Aeana

Just bought the PS3 version for $20. Sooo all I need to do is go to mog station to upgrade to the PS4 version right? How is the archer/bard class and which race is the best fit?

You have to install and start the game on PS3 and go through attaching the game to your account before you can do anything on Mogstation.

Sophia

Thanks for the swift response. Can't wait to get one of those. Wish i had gotten CE, the Fat Chocobo is just so lovely, lol.

As for the Gear, i haven't brought a single one of them. All of my current one is from sidequests so far. So i guess that's what i will be using for the most part.

I recommend saving your money for accessories (Rings,Wrist,Necks, etc)

You'll get a lot of equipment from dungeons starting at the level 15 story quest, but accessories are a less common, so you'll need to supplement what drops you get.

I recommend saving your money for accessories (Rings,Wrist,Necks, etc)

You'll get a lot of equipment from dungeons starting at the level 15 story quest, but accessories are a less common, so you'll need to supplement what drops you get.
Yeh, that's what i was doing for now. I haven't really gotten much accessories but plenty of Gear.

Is there any use of doing the Guildheist and Levequests? Levequests especially seem boring to me while Guildheists aren't so bad but usually lack in variety.

Yeh, that's what i was doing for now. I haven't really gotten much accessories but plenty of Gear.

Is there any use of doing the Guildheist and Levequests? Levequests especially seem boring to me while Guildheists aren't so bad but usually lack in variety.

Might as well unlock all the guildhests because you have to do them in the story eventually.

Sophia

Guildhests are essentially a tutorial, but I recommend doing them because they offer good experience. Both for the first time as a class and as a Duty Roulette

Levequests are meant as generic quests for leveling. Most people use them for crafting and gathering, but they're pretty good XP for any type. They're great for when you're like waiting for the DPS queues and need something to do.

Sorian

Banned
Guildhests are essentially a tutorial, but I recommend doing them because they offer good experience. Both for the first time as a class and as a Duty Roulette

Levequests are meant as generic quests for leveling. Most people use them for crafting and gathering, but they're pretty good XP for any type. They're great for when you're like waiting for the DPS queues and need something to do.

Do guildhests, you need to have them done for the main storyline.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
* Crafting will be explained by the game right? I mean i see people talking about crafting stuff but i haven't encountered it yet so no idea how to do it.
You have to switch classes to craft. If you're just sticking to just your story/starter class quests you won't be able to craft.

Once you reach lv 10 in your starter class you gain the ability to join the guilds spread out in each starter city. Joining a guild will grant you a new weapon; equip the weapon you got and speak with the guild leader to start your first class quest. To lv up the class you you can craft items from your crafting log and complete levequest. The same principles apply to the gathering classes.

So, regarding my past experiences with party interactions, I think my biggest problem is that having never played a game like this, I completely misunderstood what the role I was supposed to be doing was. I have thought it was a "power attack" sort of thing, but after reading up and trying to learn the basics more, it seems my main focus is attracting enemy attention while absorbing damage, allowing the DPS to do their thing, while the healer basically feed me HP back. I had definitely approached it the wrong way.

Flash, to start, followed up with fast blade to savage blade seems to be the "go to" advice

jiggle

So, regarding my past experiences with party interactions, I think my biggest problem is that having never played a game like this, I completely misunderstood what the role I was supposed to be doing was. I have thought it was a "power attack" sort of thing, but after reading up and trying to learn the basics more, it seems my main focus is attracting enemy attention while absorbing damage, allowing the DPS to do their thing, while the healer basically feed me HP back. I had definitely approached it the wrong way.

Flash, to start, followed up with fast blade to savage blade seems to be the "go to" advice
Also (usually) face the enemies away from everyone

TargetDummy81

Neo Member
Ended up rolling with my Pugilist. Of the three I considered it is the more unique since most other MMO's have a warrior / archer class.

Game looks good and have to say I enjoy being able to play a MMO with a controller so far.

Along with beating up random monsters with my fists / feet.

grim0451

Neo Member
Really need to pick up a keyboard for my ps4. The onscreen keyboard works fine for what it is but I still end up juggling menus trying to go back and fourth between doing things in chat and playing the game. Beyond that I'm enjoying my time with it so far and can't be anything but impressed by how they mapped the controls to the controller. Making steady progress with my archer, keep thinking about the game when I'm not playing it which is rare compared to the other mmos I've tried in recent years. Nice to be playing a game like this again, going to try my best to stick with it.

Grimsen

I was looking at keyboards tonight.

Since it's only for chatting for me, I was looking at small bluetooth keyboards.

I spotted the Anker Ultra-slim keyboard, which comes with a rechargeable lithium battery. I might pick it up.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I swear I hate this game sometimes. I am on the level 30 gladiator quest and boy is it tough to target the mages. Even when I see the cursor on the Mage the game flips back to another enemy. I hate this level. I hate it

This "theory" has actually made it a lot easier for me to get atmas. I don't know if it works but I've spent all day following it and am currently 9/12.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/22p1w8/japanese_atma_farming_theory/
I tried this out initially and it did nothing for me. Tried it out again an hour ago and was stunned to receive an atma close to the theorized time (10 minutes before). But then I received another one shortly after... several hours before the theorized time.

I don't know - I don't think it's accurate. At least, not for my server (Leviathan).

In any case, I'm currently 8/12 so my nightmare is getting close to ending.

chrono01

If I buy the subscription now, will I get it right away? Also will I lose my trial period?
You won't lose your trial period.

If you purchase a subscription now, it will be "added on" to your current free-trial membership, and be billed when it expires.

Edit - Sorry, I thought you meant being charged.

Are you sure you get everything right away, jiggle? I thought the Veteran Rewards only came into play when you're successfully charged, which he shouldn't be if he's still on the trial. I know when I was on the initial "free" days back on launch, I never received anything until after it ended and my subscription was activated [unless I'm not remembering it properly].

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Nice. I feel I want a female character cos I'm tired of staring at a dude for hours lol

Playing manly men is so cool though.
1FCWIgt.jpg

Couple of probably obvious questions...

Ok, so I'm around level 9 now, and I still haven't seen any quests that, like, take me into dungeons or instances (are those in this game?). I want to see what type of things this game offers me from that perspective, so what would you recommend?
You get to your first dungeon/ instance around lvl 15. You can do guildhest at level 10, those are mini dungeons that are geared to help you get used to working with a party.

Second, does this game have like a system for queueing into dungeons with random people, or do you have to ask people around if they want to quest with you manually?

Yes it is called duty finder, you get access to it once you unlock your first dungeon. you do not have to ask around manually.

Zukuu

Banned
Where can I buy the game the cheapest for PC? Don't care about a dvd, so just a key I guess. Are there bundles? A few of my friends may want to start as well. Also, can you choose where to play or do you need a key from your region?

Ok guys.

I've never played an MMO in my life. I'm considering picking this up on PS4, but I'm not sure if I'd like it or not. So a few questions:

1) How friendly is the game for a newcomer to the genre
2) What's a reference point for me for how the game plays. People called FF12 a "single player MMO" a lot when that came out, is that accurate? I quite liked FF12.
3) How easy/fun is the game to play largely alone? I don't have friends playing the game, and, quite frankly I have a hard time committing to certain times to play so it's not easy for me to play with a set group at set times.

Add in any useful info for a newcomer like me if you think it's relevant. Thanks in advance.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Ok guys.

I've never played an MMO in my life. I'm considering picking this up on PS4, but I'm not sure if I'd like it or not. So a few questions:

1) How friendly is the game for a newcomer to the genre
2) What's a reference point for me for how the game plays. People called FF12 a "single player MMO" a lot when that came out, is that accurate? I quite liked FF12.
3) How easy/fun is the game to play largely alone? I don't have friends playing the game, and, quite frankly I have a hard time committing to certain times to play so it's not easy for me to play with a set group at set times.

Add in any useful info for a newcomer like me if you think it's relevant. Thanks in advance.
The game is very beginner friendly, so you shouldn't have any issues getting into it as far as learning curve and difficulty. The story guides you through the leveling very well. You unlock a recommendation window after a certain level (10 maybe) that suggests things to do to further level your character, so it's easy to find out what you need to be doing in order to progress your character. Learning your class/job is another story. I don't have any max (or even high) level characters, so I can't say much on this.

I play alone a lot and it's not very fun, but that's just me. Some people enjoy solo play a lot, so it depends. If you play with GAF, there are plenty of people on at all hours so be sure to ask in the guild chat if you want people to play with. The GAF guild doesn't require any sort of commitment from members, so there are all sorts of people who play at different skill levels. You shouldn't have lots of trouble finding people to play with. Just be sure to ask.

The game is very, very solo friendly though.

I swear I hate this game sometimes. I am on the level 30 gladiator quest and boy is it tough to target the mages. Even when I see the cursor on the Mage the game flips back to another enemy. I hate this level. I hate it

Really easy level. Just fight your way up to the bridge from when you start, taking out the four groups of two as you go. If you run through and take any with you to the bridge, you'll get overpowered. Once you're at the top, fight anything that is attacking Mylla to keep her alive, and move to a different target if you see any of the Veterans about to die.

Once you see the single mage boss enemy, attack him and move away from your allies to fight so his AoE attacks don't hit them. By the time you've killed this mage, the majority of other enemies will be dead and you'll have one more easy one to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom