• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mupod

man I just want to hit 20,000 wolf marks before 2.25 but I dunno if that's possible if queues/server stability stay this bad. I'll need to get over 1600 per day assuming it hits the last day of April.

I find the PVP in this game way more enjoyable than I should, I hated arenas in WoW and melee is so janky against moving targets. But there's very few serious groups right now so I feel like a superhero in most of my matches. I'm expecting MRD to get some serious nerfs in 2.25 and maybe even for them to remove basic classes from wolves' den entirely, but if they do I hope they give WAR some tools to make it more useful. Because right now Marauder > Paladin >>>>>> Warrior, and Paladin is boring as hell to play. Plus I desperately want this, the lion armor is ok but goddamn I wanna be a bear.

Anyways the best match I had was where I got dropped in solo against a full group of four. Maybe my group abandoned before I got in, maybe it was just a random network snafu. I just ran into the middle and manderville'd for a good minute while they cautiously circled me. Eventually they started attacking, I sprint forward with all my cooldowns and instantly murder their healer. I of course died after that but it was a moral victory.

WolvenOne

Actually rather annoyed that War's won't be able to equip the Lion armor, but I'll reserve full judgement until I see the bear armor.

Though, as some of you know, I am rather not fond of bears. XD :p

MoonGred

How does the game play with a controller? All I've read comments from a fair amount of people really recommending getting a wireless keyboard.

dcye

Haha, and we've started pushing folks thru Titan and T5 now too. :O Many clears now. . . That said we're reformed with a more hardcore nature at this point.

That said Dyce, we are Legacy and reasonable hardcore folks on Sargatanas. There's no static openings yet, but we have statics working on T6+. While we are looking for more folks, there's no guarantees here you'll find a perma position, but always love having subs to rep.

I appreciate the offer and if things go bad I might just do it. We're holding together now, down a tank though, will see how the search goes.

dcye

How does the game play with a controller? All I've read comments from a fair amount of people really recommending getting a wireless keyboard.

Playing the game is fine and feels great, typing and communicating is horrible. Buy one to type with.

Hasney

Well it took a hell of a few games to come out from playing Guild Wars 2 and WOW, but finally I have succumb to an MMO addiction. That "one more quest bed" pull is just too much.

Just hit level 32 with my archer. might take some time and get my carpentry skills in order.

dcye

I play PC with a cpnrrollwe so it doesn't really affect me, but I didn't realize you could do that! Pretty awesome.

Mesharey

It needs time to get used to it, but it becomes better with playing.
Go to the giant crystal wherever you want your free teleport to be and click on it and has an option to set as free teleport location.
Yup, but I mean the app, is it for one area only?

MoonGred

Thanks for all the answers.

One more thing, is there an unofficial Australian server? I read the OP but didn't find anything at first glance.

Ken

Thanks for all the answers.

One more thing, is there an unofficial Australian server? I read the OP but didn't find anything at first glance.

JP tonberry or uh...Behemoth for NA i think?

there's a few aussies in ultros as well but maybe not enough for your needs

IMBored

Hey Ultros gaf, I need a bit of help setting up mumble. I've never used it before, and while I'm not at the level that needs it, I'm getting close, and I can talk all I want now. I tried to put the server address and port as specified in the FC chat but the connect to server button is greyed out. What options are needed?

Completed the Level 30 Pugilist Quest...just more proof that Hamon is the greatest Guildmaster ever. We actually did a double ko in the first duty...which I failed XD. That Hundred Fists attack man...beastly

And I'm finally a Monk so I'm glad to get that out of the way. The second part of the duty for that one.....pure hell. So glad that other monk saved my ass.

Now that my 1st hotbar is basically filled up with actions, I have a question for PC players. How does the hotbar format work for you guys? I know all the commands are on a horizontal line. Can you have more than one hotbar line present and if so, how do you accommodate for that? I want to know if maybe I should make the switch to keyboard

edit: PSN maintenance later today

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/b8069547ef954582f079ca6419605c6a4e8556b3

GAF FC is not the place for existing hardcore players to join in my opinion, unless you have some set friends already. GAF is amazing until about EX Primals / Turn 5 onward, then there's a large gap. All the old hardcore players have existing statics and don't interact outside their static much on the harder content. There's some roaming players so you can sometimes get groups together, but ideally need a static. Took me a while to create a static and we're still just getting off the ground. Just my take, others experience can be different.

RIP GAF FC 2013-2013 "Killed by static cliques who don't talk in fc chat leaving only the casual players to fend for themselves!"

Seriously though, and this is not a shot at you Tabris--just with that mindset--but there is plenty of opportunity to find or make a good group in GAF. If you can't get a group you probably need to look at yourself before the other 300+ players.

That doesn't even just go for GAF FC, but anywhere.

Ken

iIaCxmUS1ESuH.png

kiryogi

Banned
RIP GAF FC 2013-2013 "Killed by static cliques who don't talk in fc chat leaving only the casual players to fend for themselves!"

Seriously though, and this is not a shot at you Tabris--just with that mindset--but there is plenty of opportunity to find or make a good group in GAF. If you can't get a group you probably need to look at yourself before the other 300+ players.

No, I'd say this is a leadership and admission issue, one that we just personally faced recently. Allowing cliques and gaps to happen will create this mindset regardless of the player's ability. The issue would be that you're dealing with a FC that's so huge, and with such a mixed pot. This is really bound to happen. Maybe you should consider something on the smaller end towards your progression level?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yeah, if you were around near launch and saw how many people got their accounts stolen all the time, you'd be willing to put up with the annoyance of the one-time password. It's pretty minor compared to losing your account/having to go through SE support.
Sure, I'm thankful there's good security, but your response misses the real point. There are better security solutions that other, more valuable account services, like Steam or Google, use. A OTP is a poor solution. A two step authentication, that's not two step every single time, would be great.

No, I'd say this is a leadership and admission issue, one that we just personally faced recently. Allowing cliques and gaps to happen will create this mindset regardless of the player's ability. The issue would be that you're dealing with a FC that's so huge, and with such a mixed pot. This is really bound to happen. Maybe you should consider something on the smaller end towards your progression level?

I acknowledge that there are issues, however there's only so much leaders can do or reasonably be expected to do. "You must chat in FC chat at least 10 lines a day!" ?

We have a Guildwork board which is mandatory to sign up for which would be a great resource for forming groups to clear endgame content with. New and existing players need to be reminded of its existence and encouraged to make more use of it.

Uhhh, FC people are willing to help with EX primals, even with people outside of their Coil group. And there are still Coil groups forming/recruiting and once some of these new people get up to par, they are gonna want to start groups as well.

Zomba13

I've not really noticed any real clique behaviour on Ultros so far. There was a little bit to break through with everyone being on friendly terms with each other but that happens when you join any community that has been established for a while. I have found I've seen a fair few <GAF> in the wild that I haven't seen say anything in FC chat but I guess when you have over 400 members you will get quite ones as well as obnoxious ones like that damn Tiduz guy. What a noob.

There is plenty of help going out towards new people and groups for later content. Stuff like EX runs and Coil (1-5 as 2nd coil seems to be static and exp only. Like 1st coil was). Really just need to ask around a bit to get things done 'right now' and even with the guildworks thing it still takes some effort to get events planned because it's an external site, another thing people will need to check into for things on top of this OT and in game.

What we used to do in my FFXI LS was change the LS welcome message for events. So when there was a Dynamis in 2 days time or something we'd have that listed. When it was time to run all the Avatars to get the stuff for Fenrir for someone we had that set as the message etc. That way everyone logging in gets to see the next scheduled event.
No idea if that can or can't be done in FFXIV or if the message is strickly for mumble server info.

Ken

I have a question, if you use a security token but you lose the device/phone, what can you do?

there's this thing you can find on your account page called an emergency password. it's a long sequence of upper/lowercase letters and numbers that you have to have to unlink the security token in cases like losing the device/phone

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/791619e6491e00abca8b2e376cb0d7f0b23b3aa1

if you don't have it and you lost your OTP device (like a billion other people did at the game's launch) then you have to go through SE support.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
I've not really noticed any real clique behaviour on Ultros so far. There was a little bit to break through with everyone being on friendly terms with each other but that happens when you join any community that has been established for a while. I have found I've seen a fair few <GAF> in the wild that I haven't seen say anything in FC chat but I guess when you have over 400 members you will get quite ones as well as obnoxious ones like that damn Tiduz guy. What a noob.

There is plenty of help going out towards new people and groups for later content. Stuff like EX runs and Coil (1-5 as 2nd coil seems to be static and exp only. Like 1st coil was). Really just need to ask around a bit to get things done 'right now' and even with the guildworks thing it still takes some effort to get events planned because it's an external site, another thing people will need to check into for things on top of this OT and in game.

What we used to do in my FFXI LS was change the LS welcome message for events. So when there was a Dynamis in 2 days time or something we'd have that listed. When it was time to run all the Avatars to get the stuff for Fenrir for someone we had that set as the message etc. That way everyone logging in gets to see the next scheduled event.
No idea if that can or can't be done in FFXIV or if the message is strickly for mumble server info.

you know you love me, you are just jealous of my mogfork

Frazley

The FC has been incredibly kind to me, Bibinasu Tatanasu, I even had a guy helping me run my lvl15 quest so we could get the egg quest done (needed airship). The guys here are great and I hope to prove myself and learn when I make it to endgame.

Alucrid

Banned

what did you do, kick everyone that made friends

I was just about to post on here on how joining this FC has been awesome experience. From having hilarious conversation in chat to randomly running into a fellow Gaffer on a map and doing random quests to another member showing me how to go about completing quests. I can assure you that if this FC didn't exist, I may have been lost in this game and/or not having as much fun as I am now.

Zalasta

Since the discussion about leadership and progression has surfaced again, thought I'd chime in this time. In my experience with FFXI and WoW, progression is mostly a guild/linkshell-wide effort. The idea of static only applied to leveling and merit party. As leaders we would often organize endgame activities to include as many people that are willing to participate, as well as stuff like optical hat and ark angel (later on CoP missions) runs to help them get through contents.

Unfortunately, FFXIV not only lowered the group size (no alliance or raid), but it also implemented lock out. So understandably progression is now more of an individual thing (plus 7 others). While it's not really a clique per se, but it can give everyone else that impression. With that said, I think one of the responsibilities of being a leader is to organize events. You don't just invite people and then leave them to fend for themselves, you invite them because you think they have something to contribute and help them to gear up in able to do that (much like when a company hire an employee it would train them in order to do his job better, rather than expecting him to train himself).

However, GAF's requirement to join is not the same as a free company that is dedicated to doing endgame content, so in that sense it's more like a social group. It also doesn't help that the membership is bloated with hundreds of people rather than a compact 40-60. In the end, I don't know what's the right action here, but as someone who has helped run linkshells and guilds, I know I was expected to organize activities and to participate in them. People will always gravitate to a smaller group of individuals, but it's important to try and involve everyone so there is still that sense of unity, of working towards a common goal.

I will say that GAF has no lack of helpful people (I myself finally got through Titan and Ifrit Extreme with a group of selfless and patient individuals). But there are also those that are constantly shouting for Leviathan Extreme but doesn't seem to realize that the reason why not many people respond is because the majority of them are still stuck on other primals, yet they don't seem interested in helping so they'll have more people that can do the content they want to run. Funny how things work, you help yourself by helping others.

Yopis

Well it took a hell of a few games to come out from playing Guild Wars 2 and WOW, but finally I have succumb to an MMO addiction. That "one more quest bed" pull is just too much.

Just hit level 32 with my archer. might take some time and get my carpentry skills in order.

Feel the same just hit lvl 3130sounds with my archer also.

Would like to help others out more in the fc moving forward. Anytime I have had a question they are quick to help with answers. Good people though the regulars you see in chat, seem like a fraction of the total number online at any one time.

Zukuu

Banned
This has by FAR the most stupid gathering / crafting system I've ever seen.
Really, I need to SWTICH CLASSES and farm naked and juggle item sets? Why does it set me to level 1 just because I want that stupid ore... >_< Switching back to a class gives a huge cooldown on abilities, so good luck farming and killing monsters at the same time...

Gaz_RB

Really, I need to SWTICH CLASSES and farm naked and juggle item sets? Why does it set me to level 1 just because I want that stupid ore... >_< Switching back to a class gives a huge cooldown on abilities, so good luck farming and killing monsters at the same time...

Just use gear sets and go get some gathering clothes...they literally cost almost nothing and you can use them on any class. The crafting system has some flaws, but you've listed none of them.

xMuku

It's not really dumb.. it's just different. The gathering and crafting classes are like a sub-class, you get all new abilities and such. Admittedly it doesn't have enough built around it to warrant a class in itself but it's still a nice alternative. Some players build their entire characters around economy and so they are valuable to guilds as master crafters or gatherers.

The good thing is that if you choose to only be a battle class character you can still make gil at a decent pace.

Everyone in the FC has been nice to me! I mostly just ask about ps4 controls and complain about how hard it is to play on Vita! But I have no idea what I'm doing - I hope to become more useful as I get further.

Zukuu

Banned
It's not really dumb.. it's just different. The gathering and crafting classes are like a sub-class, you get all new abilities and such. Admittedly it doesn't have enough built around it to warrant a class in itself but it's still a nice alternative. Some players build their entire characters around economy and so they are valuable to guilds as master crafters or gatherers.

The good thing is that if you choose to only be a battle class character you can still make gil at a decent pace.

Yeah, screw Botany. I need miner tho to level armorer to be able to enchant my gear. >_>
Do I need Blacksmith to enchant weapons? Can you enchant them anyway? (I'm Lancer).
What other jobs do I need for cooking? Fishing? I want to take as few jobs as possible.

Gaz_RB

Yeah, screw Botany. I need miner tho to level armorer to be able to enchant my gear. >_>
Do I need Blacksmith to enchant weapons? Can you enchant them anyway? (I'm Lancer).
What other jobs do I need for cooking? Fishing? I want to take as few jobs as possible.

I mean you don't really need a job perse. You can buy all the things you need. The less jobs you have, the more you'll need to buy materials. Most suggest cooking as a good job to take on for food.

Not sure what you mean by enchanting gear. Materia I guess? Not as important as you might think. I started leveling crafting to craft myself things as I leveled up, but I ended up just grinding dungeons for the best loot at whatever level.

xMuku

To be able to put materia in your weapon I think you need Blacksmith lvls but you can always use another player to do it. The system of other players melding your weapons is really cool.

Cooking you can level up to max and make some stat boosting food and the last passive ability you get allows you to level other gathering/crafting classes faster if I'm not mistaken.
Fishing just works with cooking as far as I know. Just an extra pass time for the most part.

Edit: Just want to add that materia melding is saved mostly for end game stuff. During the leveling process it's not essential.

Zukuu

Banned
To be able to put materia in your weapon I think you need Blacksmith lvls but you can always use another player to do it. The system of other players melding your weapons is really cool.

Cooking you can level up to max and make some stat boosting food and the last passive ability you get allows you to level other gathering/crafting classes faster if I'm not mistaken.
Fishing just works with cooking as far as I know. Just an extra pass time for the most part.

Edit: Just want to add that materia melding is saved mostly for end game stuff. During the leveling process it's not essential.

Yeah I want to level those up while going along. Just to level them up for end game and don't have to grind for days.

I don't want to look for other players for everything I do tho. That's why I want to level a few jobs.

Miner => Black Smith + Armorer (for materia)
Cook => Food (fishing is OPTIONAL here, right? I can get everything on its own as cook)

leave crafting & gathering for the endgame

I have a question.

I'm currently a level 31 THM. I think I want to become a Summoner (required 15 THM and 30 ARC) instead of a Black Mage. My question is should I focus on becoming level 50 with my THM first, or should I go ahead and reach 30 ARC now so that I can become a summoner?
This game is crack.

Yeah I want to level those up while going along. Just to level them up for end game and don't have to grind for days.

I don't want to look for other players for everything I do tho. That's why I want to level a few jobs.

Miner => Black Smith + Armorer (for materia)
Cook => Food (fishing is OPTIONAL here, right? I can get everything on its own as cook)
Forget about Blacksmith. Even if you can meld the materia in the items, you'll have to buy the items themselves, which is much more expensive than the materias.

The crafting system works the same way as the battle system: you need the cross-class skills to be effective. If you don't invest the time to level all important crafting classes and just stick to the Armorer, you can't reliably HQ any good equipment. Not to mention that in order to have a good crafted equipment that is better than its level equivalent, you'll have to slot a LOT of materia.

Cooking relies a LOT on fisher and botanist. Prepare to spend a lot of money if you don't get your own ingredients. And the above applies to it too: you'll have a lot of difficulty HQing the best foods without cross-class skills.

I have a question.

I'm currently a level 31 THM. I think I want to become a Summoner (required 15 THM and 30 ARC) instead of a Black Mage. My question is should I focus on becoming level 50 with my THM first, or should I go ahead and reach 30 ARC now so that I can become a summoner?
This game is crack.
No, you only need THM at level 26 for Swiftcast. If you want to become a summoner, go ahead.

And by the way, by "ARC" you mean Arcanist, right? It's actually ACN. ARC is Archer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom