• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zomba13

I hope so. As a PLD who isn't decked out in full i90, it's frustrating as fuck to queue for that dungeon and have a group full of asstwats try to zerg rush it when I don't have to gear to do my that yet.

Of course, that's all my fault for being a "bad" and having "bad gear" etc. Tryning to run it to get gear, FFS. The people on MMO's anymore are awful half the time. I know it isn't exclusive to FFXIV, it's all of them, but the FFXIV dungeon mechanics require some level of instruction or knowledge to beat them. And people just don't wanna teach people anymore. "Go watch a video" is all you get. I mean, that helps, but more often than not the video is of players in full i90 just plowing through shit.

I'd make content for this if I didn't have Comcast... silly ass bandwidth caps.

Eh, as a Tank you can decide on the speed of the run. If they pull and get over come or whatever their fault and they will either kick you or learn to suck it up and slow down for those who don't want to run a certain way.

And if you get kicked you're a tank. You get queues instantly most of the time, near instantly the rest of the time. If they nerf the dungeon for SRs then that just hurts everyone who wants to get myth tomes quickly.

WolvenOne

I'm already crying inside at the thought of it.

Wahh

Yeah, going to get what I need for my next book tonight, then keep running up Myth, just in case. I may not enjoy repeated Bray speedruns over and over and over and over, but I like that more than the alternative. XD

ff14-whyse.png

Why do you do this to me, SE?

Praise Tanaka

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Of course, that's all my fault for being a "bad" and having "bad gear" etc. Tryning to run it to get gear, FFS. The people on MMO's anymore are awful half the time. I know it isn't exclusive to FFXIV, it's all of them, but the FFXIV dungeon mechanics require some level of instruction or knowledge to beat them. And people just don't wanna teach people anymore. "Go watch a video" is all you get. I mean, that helps, but more often than not the video is of players in full i90 just plowing through shit.

I'd make content for this if I didn't have Comcast... silly ass bandwidth caps.

I've just met a bro-est tank today who explained everything in Qran to me, made sure new people could fill the map out for the achievement and was a great tank to boot. It was great.

SRTtoZ

Ok I need some get rich quick schemes.

Well, not really...but seriously I need some tips/pointers as to where I have to spend my time in order to make money in this game. I know there isnt much stuff to buy currently but housing will eventually be out for everyone and I'd like to start saving up. Currently I have about 500k to my name that that was gained by selling low level mining mats on the MB and whatnot. I know I need a bunch of different jobs to be effective with cross abilities but eventually where should I be looking to make money? Any specific jobs (crafting) better than others?

Zomba13

Ok I need some get rich quick schemes.

Well, not really...but seriously I need some tips/pointers as to where I have to spend my time in order to make money in this game. I know there isnt much stuff to buy currently but housing will eventually be out for everyone and I'd like to start saving up. Currently I have about 500k to my name that that was gained by selling low level mining mats on the MB and whatnot. I know I need a bunch of different jobs to be effective with cross abilities but eventually where should I be looking to make money? Any specific jobs (crafting) better than others?

500k is plenty. You don't really spend money. Only really spend money to level up crafts without getting the raw matts, buying shit on the MB (which isn't really needed) and teleports.
I've made more than a million just from doing dungeon dailies and shit like that.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
What does the green glow around the equipment from the first dungeon mean?

Courtesy of Reddit
Pink- Atherial Gear- Pink Gear is pieces of common usually craftable gear that have random augmented stats attached to them. These are by no means special most of the time, but every now and again you can come across a special gem that has some really good bonus augments attached.

Green- Scarace Gear- Green Gear is special gear that has a higher than average stats and item levels compared to gear of the same equippable level. You can kind of think of these pieces of gear as a HQ +2, but they are not by any means leaps and bounds better than normal gear for their level.

Blue- Rare Gear (Not to be confused with R/EX)- Blue gear is special gear and usually has a much higher stats over Scarace Gear. This type of gear's item level also varies greatly, and typically you won't see any Blue gear that has an item level below 50.

Purple- Relic Gear- Bluntly put, Relic is a special type of gear and is considered to be the strongest in the game, giving unique and powerful effects no other gear in the game can provide. You might think of Relic gear as gear specifically attuned for your class/jobs strengths and weaknesses.

IMBored

What does the green glow around the equipment from the first dungeon mean?

It's unique equipment, meaning you can only get have one of it and it generally has better stats than same iLV equip. There's also pink aetherial equipment, that has random bonus stats.

Tabris

I can't imagine why they would. All people do in Bray HM is gather stuff up and kill it quickly. Nothing exploitative is going on.

The issue that's happening in DF is people are dropping after first two bosses quite often. So if you were late on capping soldiery and want to run the dungeon through DF, you often have people dropping.

My guess is they will make it non-SR friendly or add myth to boss kill and reduce myth payout in previous 2 bosses.

These are all hunches/guesses though.

Sophia

Adjust myth payouts so that finishing the final boss rewards a hefty amount. Really solves any issues with Duty Finder entirely.

Mupod

so I either fucking learn ALL crafts or none? What a splendid system!
Is cooking, like, important or something? I know why I hated PvE in WoW. All that stupid farming just to "play" the game. Hope PvP is any good.

To begin with if you get culinarian to 37 and every crafter to 15 you'll have the essential skills to craft. Battle classes need cross-class stuff too, this is a similar concept. From there most people level Carpenter because its final skill is super overpowered, and then you'll be in good shape to level anything else you want.

It's actually pretty easy to level them with levequests, but you get a limited number of those per day. Crafting is fun and can be convenient since you can meld your own materia, fix your own gear and maybe make a little money on the side but it's a massive rabbit hole of craziness if you want to specialize in it. Personally I liked it enough that it's one of the reasons I kept playing this game when there was nothing else to do, but there's way more content now.

There's not a lot of people who do PVP in this game, but we exist. If you want to get into PVP I'd advise sticking to the level 30 and 40 brackets for now. Since people get level synced down in those, the PVP gear that level 50s have by now is useless in them. But if you try to do the level 50 bracket nowadays you'll get shredded by people with gear - MMORPG PVP isn't about fairness, of course.

2.25 is bringing a big overhaul to the system, and is coming surprisingly soon...two days, apparently. I thought I had another week to save up wolf marks. This is great though, looking forward to faster queues.

I'm going to complain, bitch and moan.

Man, potions in this game suck.

It's doesnt make sense, how you going to give a 5 minutes cooldown for a potion that SLIGHTLY increases one damn stat for 15 damns seconds. And that is a UNIVERSAL potion cooldown.

So I can't even use a regular damn health potion during that five minutes!? WHAT!!!

Man, so many potions are so damn useless.

And it makes me mad because the regular potions got a cooldown of one minute. And they only restore like a VERY small amount of health.

Someone has to explain to me the reason behind this, there HAS to be some type of explanation as to why they did this. Because, I don't see it. From my stand point, it makes no sense to put cooldown on those that last THAT long.

I wouldn't be as ticked if i didn't waste all my time leveling up my alchemist for the purpose of creating poisons and potions.

God, this game (or at least the melee classes) plays so well with a controller. My friends want to hop back on WoW once Warlords hits but I don't know if I want to go back to a mouse and keyboard MMO.

Out of curiosity, are there any classes that aren't particularly viable with a controller in this game?

Lucis

I just started a character. Went with an archanist and want to get a pet. Can anyone recommend a build or guide?

There's no build, you put everything into int for smn or mnd for sch

finally got back to ff14 after not playing it for nearly 2 months.

Currently my goal is just to cap tome every week, the atma quest is stupid, the amount of time it takes for the reward is .... arg. I am not sure what Yoshida was thinking while doing that.

Levi EX and Mog EX are not that bad, both easier than titan ex in PUG IMO. But I don't relaly have time to pug farm those ;/

People sitll fail pretty badly at turn 5 with echo, this week is another 10%? wonder how well people will do at that point. Kinda want the sword and helm for looks still.

kiryogi

Banned
I'm going to complain, bitch and moan.

Man, potions in this game suck.

It's doesnt make sense, how you going to give a 5 minutes cooldown for a potion that SLIGHTLY increases one damn stat for 15 damns seconds. And that is a UNIVERSAL potion cooldown.

So I can't even use a regular damn health potion during that five minutes!? WHAT!!!

Man, so many potions are so damn useless.

And it makes me mad because the regular potions got a cooldown of one minute. And they only restore like a VERY small amount of health.

Someone has to explain to me the reason behind this, there HAS to be some type of explanation as to why they did this. Because, I don't see it. From my stand point, it makes no sense to put cooldown on those that last THAT long.

I wouldn't be as ticked if i didn't waste all my time leveling up my alchemist for the purpose of creating poisons and potions.

The best use of potions right now are last minute saves or burns for stat augmentation IE Twintania.

Hedrush

Just finished my first dungeon, damn it was hectic and epic. Luckily we had a player who had done it before and kept us all right with what to do. We lost two players on the final boss somehow, but myself and the above player I mentioned managed to complete it, but it was an extremely tense final 5 minutes let me tell you. Really, really enjoyed myself tho even tho I literally felt drained by the end.

Potions are for burst damage and emergency situations. You're not supposed to rely on them for healing, that's what the healers do.

Alright. I need a bit of help here and apparently I'm really stupid.

So I've been playing FF14 since launch on the PC. Soooo good. Except the community sometimes can be very rude and elitist. But whatever, that's just MMO's in general.

So I got the game on the PS4 and the controls are just baffling. Doesn't feel very intuitive. But I'm gonna adapt. But I'm having two control related issues. Can someone answer the following in as much detail as possible?

1) How does targeting work? I try using the d-pad to target but it appears to just target random things on the screen. Is there a way to target the closest NPC? How to I specifically target a player. I'm working on my WHM right now and I find I need to use the damned touchpad to slowly drag the mouse over their name and click to select them. Is there a fast way to by default select a player?

2) How to I move the chat window. I wanna dock it in the bottom left of my screen and while I see I can use the touchpad to drag @ the upper-right corner of the box I can figure out how to actually engage the mouse to drag it. I've tried tapping the touchpad w/o physically clicking it and I've tried clicking it. Nothing.

Halp!

So I've been playing FF14 since launch on the PC. Soooo good. Except the community sometimes can be very rude and elitist. But whatever, that's just MMO's in general.

So I got the game on the PS4 and the controls are just baffling. Doesn't feel very intuitive. But I'm gonna adapt. But I'm having two control related issues. Can someone answer the following in as much detail as possible?

1) How does targeting work? I try using the d-pad to target but it appears to just target random things on the screen. Is there a way to target the closest NPC? How to I specifically target a player. I'm working on my WHM right now and I find I need to use the damned touchpad to slowly drag the mouse over their name and click to select them. Is there a fast way to by default select a player?

2) How to I move the chat window. I wanna dock it in the bottom left of my screen and while I see I can use the touchpad to drag @ the upper-right corner of the box I can figure out how to actually engage the mouse to drag it. I've tried tapping the touchpad w/o physically clicking it and I've tried clicking it. Nothing.

Halp!
1) in a party you tap up and down and it will go through your friendly list on the top left side. I think left-right selects enemies, though seemingly random. When you hit x on your player it makes that the primary target and if you highlight someone else, it will cast your spell on them then go back to your primary target. It works pretty well!
2)double tapping, it's difficult to pull off. You might be able to do it in the UI customization section too.

Halp!

1. I'm still figuring out the best way to target stuff, because there are a few options. For healing - d-pad up and down selects your party members. It should be pretty easy. Just press X to target the closest thing you're facing. You have some other targeting options as well, like L1 + Dpad Up and Down to scroll through your enmity list.

2. This takes a bit of a knack. You basically have to highlight the corner with the cursor. Tap and hold on the touchpad - then use another finger to drag the corner. It's fiddly but I managed it.

Hope that helps.

Nose Master

Is PSN down or something? I can't get FFXIV to launch, and my "what's new" stuff on the dashboard doesn't load in. Netflix runs fine though, which is weird.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
is there a group needing/wanting to finish up the hatching tide quest chain tonight? I am left with the Ul'dah 2-man one and then hard boiled (4man). Anyone wanting to finish this up I'd be willing to stick around for the duration (i.e. if someone was willing to but needed quests before those two)

Allard

Is PSN down or something? I can't get FFXIV to launch, and my "what's new" stuff on the dashboard doesn't load in. Netflix runs fine though, which is weird.

At the following time, Sony Computer Entertainment will be performing maintenance on PSN.

During this period, players on the PlayStation®3 and PlayStation®4 versions will be unable to log in to FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn.
*Players that are already logged in can continue to play as long as they remain logged in.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

[Date & Time]
Apr. 21, 2014 from 9:50 a.m. to 3:50 p.m. (PDT)
* The completion time may be subject to change.

[Affected Services]
- PlayStation® 3 and PlayStation®4 versions of FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/b8069547ef954582f079ca6419605c6a4e8556b3

Grimsen

Halp!

Left/right on the dpad is for targets. Out of combat, it cycles through everything, but in combat it cycles enemies. I think there are settings to play with that.

You can also activate targeting filters in the options. They're done with r1+ x/o/triangle or square. I turn them off, because I'm always filtering stuff I need.

To drag the chat window, double tap (without clicking) the trackpad while your cursor overs on the "general" tab.

is there a group needing/wanting to finish up the hatching tide quest chain tonight? I am left with the Ul'dah 2-man one and then hard boiled (4man). Anyone wanting to finish this up I'd be willing to stick around for the duration (i.e. if someone was willing to but needed quests before those two)

I need to do the last 2 as well. What lvl is your character?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom