• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I have a question.

I'm currently a level 31 THM. I think I want to become a Summoner (required 15 THM and 30 ARC) instead of a Black Mage. My question is should I focus on becoming level 50 with my THM first, or should I go ahead and reach 30 ARC now so that I can become a summoner?
This game is crack.

It's a good idea to level your first class through the story quests, but nothing stops you from bringing up your ACN to the level and proceeding with that. It'll just take a bit of effort.

IMBored

I suggest you get some crafter/gathering jobs early on so you can do the provision missions. Just buy the items need on the market (HQ if possible) and it's easy seals and exp for the respective class. Focus on three or four crafting jobs for cross class skills and the gather of your choosing. I have to say, crafting is actually pretty complex and fun, it's gathering that sucks away my soul when I do it.

i'm fishing, but need a princess trout HQ, my perception is at 0 what can i do?

Try the market, although I haven't have any luck buying princess trout trying to make grilled trout. Alternatively buy the best gear for your class and eat some food that raises perception.

Tabris

Seriously though, and this is not a shot at you Tabris--just with that mindset--but there is plenty of opportunity to find or make a good group in GAF. If you can't get a group you probably need to look at yourself before the other 300+ players.

That doesn't even just go for GAF FC, but anywhere.

Well I have a group. What I was saying is that if you are a hardcore player (I wouldn't consider myself a hardcore player), there's really not much room for you as we as an FC don't work on progressing our semi-casual to hardcore, and our hardcore all have set statics. That's the gap, and why I wouldn't recommend they join GAF. As a new or casual player, it's amazing.

I mean we have maybe a handful of players past Turn 5 who aren't in a set static within FC. So if you're a player like the one who posted which I responded to who is past Turn 5 and you're looking for a group to run turn 6+ with, unless you can convince players like DT and Kirito to leave their external statics, not going to get much together. Unless one of the old ones loses a member.

Not knocking, just the reality of it. I have just accepted that GAF is a social club and party finder. Can't do much with it's size (almost 500 members? to help them all out, especially with hard content, would be insane) and age (lots of old members who have helped too many people that have come and gone, where's the benefit anymore for them?). I get it. But we need to be more upfront to players about what it is so they can make a decision before hand.

Zukuu

Banned
Forget about Blacksmith. Even if you can meld the materia in the items, you'll have to buy the items themselves, which is much more expensive than the materias.

The crafting system works the same way as the battle system: you need the cross-class skills to be effective. If you don't invest the time to level all important crafting classes and just stick to the Armorer, you can't reliably HQ any good equipment. Not to mention that in order to have a good crafted equipment that is better than its level equivalent, you'll have to slot a LOT of materia.

Cooking relies a LOT on fisher and botanist. Prepare to spend a lot of money if you don't get your own ingredients. And the above applies to it too: you'll have a lot of difficulty HQing the best foods without cross-class skills.
so I either fucking learn ALL crafts or none? What a splendid system!
Is cooking, like, important or something? I know why I hated PvE in WoW. All that stupid farming just to "play" the game. Hope PvP is any good.

SRTtoZ

I have a question.

I'm currently a level 31 THM. I think I want to become a Summoner (required 15 THM and 30 ARC) instead of a Black Mage. My question is should I focus on becoming level 50 with my THM first, or should I go ahead and reach 30 ARC now so that I can become a summoner?
This game is crack.

If you dont want to be a BLM then don't continue leveling it past swiftcast IMO.

No, you only need THM at level 26 for Swiftcast. If you want to become a summoner, go ahead.

And by the way, by "ARC" you mean Arcanist, right? It's actually ACN. ARC is Archer.

Sorry, yeah meant ACN for arcanist. Swiftcast seems pointless to me; I never use it. I mean you have to take time to summon it, so what's the point?

Is cooking, like, important or something? I know why I hated PvE in WoW. All that stupid farming just to "play" the game. Hope PvP is any good.
Yes, cooking is important because the foods give amazing bonuses at endgame. Alchemy too, it's good to have a big stock of potions of str/dex/int and poisoning.

I think of it as two separate games in one. There is the fighting content, and there is the crafting content. You can become a crafter youself and consume the goods produced by the battle/gathering classes, or you can be exclusively a battle class and sell the stuff you get to buy crafted goods.

The best equipment is only obtainable in raids, so the crafted equipment is for progression and glamour only.

Oh, and PVP is dead btw.

Sorry, yeah meant ACN for arcanist. Swiftcast seems pointless to me; I never use it. I mean you have to take time to summon it, so what's the point?
I said Swiftcast, not Surecast.
Surecast lets you cast without being interrupted. It has its uses but they're few.
Swiftcast is a must have. It's makes your next spell an instant cast, and can be used every minute. You can use it to summon your pet if it dies, or cast Shadowflare.

leveling is pretty easy in this game. i assume that's why they demand more dedication if you want to craft HQ stuff. cooking is useful, especially for endgame. you can buy food from the market if you don't want to level crafting. it's not too expensive.

So I'm picking the game back up since I haven't played since before 2.1 and I'm leveling an alt class that's like 27 right now and the fates in my level are COMPLETELY empty. Just me which makes them like impossible for the ones that don't have npcs. How do people level nowadays? Fates used to be the primary way people leveled but they're empty now.

dramatis

Cooking relies a LOT on fisher and botanist. Prepare to spend a lot of money if you don't get your own ingredients. And the above applies to it too: you'll have a lot of difficulty HQing the best foods without cross-class skills.
I would say that botanist is essential to cooking, but fisher is not. Especially if you're leveling, most of the ingredients used for the high exp leves are not fish at all (I don't recall any going from 1-50 really), whereas a lot of the leves use ingredients obtained from botany.

However, with the launch of the PS4 and a bunch of new players leveling up gathering jobs, it's possible to find items on the marketboard for cheap prices because they need to do so much gathering to level up.

Fish are largely used for foods that increase control, CP—if you're thinking of foods that are consistently used 1-50. Most endgame combat foods only require one or two types of fish, at high level fishing, so it's not something that needs to be done until later.

Frazley

leveling is pretty easy in this game. i assume that's why they demand more dedication if you want to craft HQ stuff. cooking is useful, especially for endgame. you can buy food from the market if you don't want to level crafting. it's not too expensive.
Plus, this game isn't a do it all today type of thing. It's meant to be played overtime. I have to say it is one of the best solo (for the most part) games. The added benefit of class switching also makes it fun! I am going to Limsa soon with one of my other characters to pick off some low level quests and enjoy the seaside.

I hated alts in WoW and CoH (had a ton) trying to keep my characters, their quests, professions, etc straight. I love that finishing Hatching Tide (with awesome GAF FC help) meant I could help others. Not worrying that all of my alts have the quest done.

Not downplaying alts since you can do them, but I really feel attached to Bibanasu my Lalafell! I love that I can change his class at any time!

Edit: plus there are bonuses after you level up a class that help leveling your lower classes. Isn't it the larger disparity means that you get a greater bonus?

Fish are largely used for foods that increase control, CP—if you're thinking of foods that are consistently used 1-50. Most endgame combat foods only require one or two types of fish, at high level fishing, so it's not something that needs to be done until later.
Yeah, I was thinking of endgame there. Cooking woulnd't help much a battle class until lv50.

I said Swiftcast, not Surecast.
Surecast lets you cast without being interrupted. It has its uses but they're few.
Swiftcast is a must have. It's makes your next spell an instant cast, and can be used every minute. You can use it to summon your pet if it dies, or cast Shadowflare.

I was referring to swiftcast. I guess I've just not progressed enough to make it useful as I don't have anything to summon nor do I have Shadowflare. Right now it seems pointless though. I basically just use fire and blizzard besides a few special occasions, and so the time I take to summon Swiftcast could just be used to summon an attack spell.

I was referring to swiftcast. I guess I've just not progressed enough to make it useful as I don't have anything to summon nor do I have Shadowflare. Right now it seems pointless though. I basically just use fire and blizzard besides a few special occasions, and so the time I take to summon Swiftcast could just be used to summon an attack spell.
Later on you'll get spells that take more than 2,5s to cast, then you'll start to see its effectiveness.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Getting THM to 26 for Swiftcast almost makes me want to stop playing. Between this and ACN.... I just want to heaaalllll.

WolvenOne

Huh, 2.25's coming sooner then I thought. Figured it'd be further out, since it's supposed to be a patch like 2.15, which had some fairly significant quality of life features.

Granted, I guess it has been about a month. Also, I hear there'll be a little actual new content in 2.25, though I guess we won't have to wait long to know if that's true or not.

Anno

Any ex-Everquest 1 tanks here? I loved tanking there. Couldn't really get into WoW raid tanking, too much ability spamming. This game seems to be a lot slower paced so I'm hoping it's a decent medium between the two.

WolvenOne

Any ex-Everquest 1 tanks here? I loved tanking there. Couldn't really get into WoW raid tanking, too much ability spamming. This game seems to be a lot slower paced so I'm hoping it's a decent medium between the two.

Can't comment about those two games, but once you get to the endgame, quite a few fights require the tanks to be very much aware, and able to react quickly. I wouldn't quite call it a twitch fest, but it definitely ain't chill either. XD

Jayhawk

2.25's release date lines up with the next time T1-T5 is supposed to get another 10% echo buff. They'll probably release small patches every 2 weeks.

WolvenOne

Getting THM to 26 for Swiftcast almost makes me want to stop playing. Between this and ACN.... I just want to heaaalllll.

You'll get double XP, for leveling a second job, so it'll go by relatively quickly.

It's 35 to 50 that takes forever to level, the way leveling scales in this game, the stuff that comes before that comes hecka fast.

Korezo

2.25's release date lines up with the next time T1-T5 is supposed to get another 10% echo buff. They'll probably release small patches every 2 weeks.

Why they do this.. Just let people quit the game, that's why it's impossible to get anything done in duty finder.

Anno

Can't comment about those two games, but once you get to the endgame, quite a few fights require the tanks to be very much aware, and able to react quickly. I wouldn't quite call it a twitch fest, but it definitely ain't chill either. XD

Awareness and encounter knowledge are fine, I like learning stuff. It's just spamming the same two or three keys every .5 seconds that's lame.

Disable the touchpad from working as a mouse under system configuration.

TC6XbpQ.png

I'd also recommend turning on the expanded touch pad controls so when you click one side it'll cycle forward through the HUD and when you click on the other side it'll cycle back.

thanks I'm reverse the left and right click though

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

hearing you... I let my levequests fill up as much as possible, but then you burn through like 20 in a couple of hours or so... and then it's back to grinding (or waiting for them to fill up)

Cetra

I have a feeling 2.25 may nerf bray hm speed runs.

I hope so. As a PLD who isn't decked out in full i90, it's frustrating as fuck to queue for that dungeon and have a group full of asstwats try to zerg rush it when I don't have to gear to do my that yet.

Of course, that's all my fault for being a "bad" and having "bad gear" etc. Tryning to run it to get gear, FFS. The people on MMO's anymore are awful half the time. I know it isn't exclusive to FFXIV, it's all of them, but the FFXIV dungeon mechanics require some level of instruction or knowledge to beat them. And people just don't wanna teach people anymore. "Go watch a video" is all you get. I mean, that helps, but more often than not the video is of players in full i90 just plowing through shit.

I'd make content for this if I didn't have Comcast... silly ass bandwidth caps.

Aeana

I didn't realize there was that many days already. I assume you did it every single day since 2.2?

EDIT - Oops. Nevermind. I thought that was level 3.

Yes, I've done it every day, including right after 2.2 went in before the first reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom