• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunan

Alright. I need a bit of help here and apparently I'm really stupid.

1) How does targeting work? I try using the d-pad to target but it appears to just target random things on the screen. Is there a way to target the closest NPC? How to I specifically target a player. I'm working on my WHM right now and I find I need to use the damned touchpad to slowly drag the mouse over their name and click to select them. Is there a fast way to by default select a player?

I'm struggling with this too, but with a PS3/controller. When in a party, selecting allies is a snap: there will be a list of party members on the left side of the screen, and you can press up/down to scroll through it. (I shied away from playing a healer ni the beginning because I thought I'd never be able to target allies well enough!)

Out in the field, interacting with enemies and people in general, it can be a lot more frustrating. If you don't press any arrow buttons at all, you'll target whatever you're immediately facing, which makes the hassle of talking with NPCs a but easier, though you still have to double-tap the Circle button (mouse button/X/whatever your UI requiers).

Anyone know if the PS4 or PC has a way to select something as a target and also interact with it in a single button press? I want to, like in just about all previous RPGs, talk with people in cities using one button press per instance.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Just finished my first dungeon, damn it was hectic and epic. Luckily we had a player who had done it before and kept us all right with what to do. We lost two players on the final boss somehow, but myself and the above player I mentioned managed to complete it, but it was an extremely tense final 5 minutes let me tell you. Really, really enjoyed myself tho even tho I literally felt drained by the end.

FFXIV doesn't hesitate to kick your butt in dungeons/trials, and that's pretty cool IMO.

Yesterday I just got to Garuda (story mode), queued up and proceeded to wipe 6-7 times. The tank had done it before and basically blamed everything on me (the healer), some of which was legit (I was new, didn't know where to stand, etc), but most wasn't (dps were running behind things and los'ing from my heals, etc). Healing wise, I was performing extremely well, using all cooldowns when needed, using potions, food, etc. The tank ended up telling me L2P then dropped group. Some people are just jerks, you know?

Anyway, the rest of the group voted to exit, so I re-queued and got a group where EVERYONE was new. Needless to say, we wiped several times before they voted to quit.

At that point I took a break to read boss fight strategies online, watched a few videos, then re-queued. Got another few newbies and one completely silent person (they seemed to know what to do, but didn't offer to help explain). This time, I proceeded to lay out the fight based on what I'd seen in the guides, and everyone was keen to learn. We wiped twice, but got better each time, then beat it on the third attempt. All three people gave me a commendation.

So, basically, yay for actual hard content pre end game! But boo to people who just blow a gasket and drop group without even attempting help others understand mechanics or get better.

Sophia

I'm struggling with this too, but with a PS3/controller. When in a party, selecting allies is a snap: there will be a list of party members on the left side of the screen, and you can press up/down to scroll through it. (I shied away from playing a healer ni the beginning because I thought I'd never be able to target allies well enough!)

Out in the field, interacting with enemies and people in general, it can be a lot more frustrating. If you don't press any arrow buttons at all, you'll target whatever you're immediately facing, which makes the hassle of talking with NPCs a but easier, though you still have to double-tap the Circle button (mouse button/X/whatever your UI requiers).

Anyone know if the PS4 or PC has a way to select something as a target and also interact with it in a single button press? I want to, like in just about all previous RPGs, talk with people in cities using one button press per instance.

Make sure you enable and use Target Filtering in the options. You can use this to target only specific types of things in the game world. This can make selecting players or NPCs much easier if the D-Pad simply won't select relevant people.

Also when you have one of the Cross-hot-bars up, you can use L1 and R1 to switch between enemies regardless of what the target filtering is. This is extremely useful if you're playing a tank or DPS and you have the hotbar mode set to Toggle or Mixed. It's my preferred way of playing, even.

Allard

FFXIV doesn't hesitate to kick your butt in dungeons/trials, and that's pretty cool IMO.

Yesterday I just got to Garuda (story mode), queued up and proceeded to wipe 6-7 times. The tank had done it before and basically blamed everything on me (the healer), some of which was legit (I was new, didn't know where to stand, etc), but most wasn't (dps were running behind things and los'ing from my heals, etc). Healing wise, I was performing extremely well, using all cooldowns when needed, using potions, food, etc. The tank ended up telling me L2P then dropped group. Some people are just jerks, you know?

Anyway, the rest of the group voted to exit, so I re-queued and got a group where EVERYONE was new. Needless to say, we wiped several times before they voted to quit.

At that point I took a break to read boss fight strategies online, watched a few videos, then re-queued. Got another few newbies and one completely silent person (they seemed to know what to do, but didn't offer to help explain). This time, I proceeded to lay out the fight based on what I'd seen in the guides, and everyone was keen to learn. We wiped twice, but got better each time, then beat it on the third attempt. All three people gave me a commendation.

So, basically, yay for actual hard content pre end game! But boo to people who just blow a gasket and drop group without even attempting help others understand mechanics or get better.

I actually tend to have more trouble on Garuda Story mode fight then HM these days because people are so used to the flow of the HM version and due to the level cap you can't 'break' the fight mechanics with better gear so it stays semi hard no matter when you enter it (Wiping due to lack of DPS on feathers, healing is an constant struggle due to all the AOE damage elements and no extra healing help to manage your MP etc.). Great showcase of what to expect if only a small sample of what you will see at end-game.

Dunan

Also when you have one of the Cross-hot-bars up, you can use L1 and R1 to switch between enemies regardless of what the target filtering is. This is extremely useful if you're playing a tank or DPS and you have the hotbar mode set to Toggle or Mixed. It's my preferred way of playing, even.

Ooh, I hadn't known about this. I'll give it a try.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

targeting in the field works like this. any aggroed mobs (mobs that appear on the left side beneath your party) you can cycle through using L1+up/dn.

I'm not sure about options affecting this, but... if you cycle to a target with up/dn (party of mob) it will only quick cycle to them. If you have nothing else targeted, as soon as you cast a spell you will then "sticky" target them. that is your target will now be on them. If you PREVIOUSLY had something else targeted and you quick target on them, as soon as you use an ability/spell on that target, you will automatically resume with your "sticky" target that you previously had targeted.

best example I can give is as a healer. I have the tank "sticky" targeted. That is he is my target. Then as others need spot heals/esunas/whatevers I will use up/dn to hover over them and cast the spell at which point my target returns to the tank. Likewise I can do the same thing with mobs using L1+up/dn. So I can quick target a mob, cast a DOT, then my next cast (heal) would be on the tank.

it's funny that you mentioned being worried about healing because honestly this setup is crazy easy with a controller. I basically only have to press up or down once (twice for one party member) and heal/whatever anyone in the party. very easy.

WolvenOne

Garuda story mode is actually my favorite of the Pre-Endgame boss battles. It's difficult compared to the stuff that came before it, cinematically intense, and difficult enough to give you an actual sense of accomplishment for beating it.

Garuda Hard and Extreme modes, I don't like as much. The former isn't bad, but positioning gets a bit funky after Garuda's final phase begins repeating, thankfully few groups cannot burn her down before this point now.

Garuda Extreme though, is just too much of a slog. That final phase hits early in the fight, repeats forever, and even good groups can go, "opps," and hit the Spiny plume if they aren't careful. It's not a bad fight, it has its charms, but doesn't have the same fun factor as the previous Garuda fights.

But, yeah, hate hearing about Tanks that're completing unwilling to cut people slack, or won't explain the mechanics. To be fair, I have essentially booted a few tanks, for not knowing how to do basic mechanics. That may seem a bit much, but if you're on say Moogle Extreme, and there's a tank that doesn't understand mechanics he should've learned in Ultima HM, and this tank wipes the party numerous times despite explanations.

Yeah, I'm willing to cut people slack and help teach them, but there's six other people to think about in cases like these. Eventually you do need to bite the bullet and tell some players that they need to skill up in some simpler fights for awhile.

Mesharey

You can pick which crystal and also change it if you want.
Hmm isn't this in the game without the app? :/

sadly only 23, so I can only help with the two lowest hats.
I finished all the missions when I was lvl 22, I didn't need the black hat (lvl 40) in the last mission.
You don't need, if it is required from you then you can retry the quest and hope they give you another hat.

WolvenOne

I'm guessing new looking gear sets that are the same item level as weathered.

and/or, additional "Unidentified Allagan Tomestone," and "Oil/Sand or Time," drops as well. New armor is the safe bet, but, considering that Square will likely want to start getting more people doing Second Coil by then, I could see them adding those drops as well, and putting them behind the 1 per week lockout that Labyrinth had.

Edit: Well, the drops for acquiring and upgrading the Soldiery weapons anyway. Maybe not the item for upgrading Soldiery armor to 110.

Sorian

Banned
and/or, additional "Unidentified Allagan Tomestone," and "Oil/Sand or Time," drops as well. New armor is the safe bet, but, considering that Square will likely want to start getting more people doing Second Coil by then, I could see them adding those drops as well, and putting them behind the 1 per week lockout that Labyrinth had.

I could see the oil or sands of time, I think they will leave the weapon stuff to coil though.

Hedrush

Can't believe there's PSN maintainance on an Easter bank holiday. Wonder what bright spark had that idea. I had planned to spend my night levelling up my carpenter too. Bah!!

Interfectum

Main thing for targeting with controllers: turn on target filters.

Quickly learning that. Leveling my marauder to 15 so I can unlock Dragoon, decided to try tanking a quick Guildhest.... without filtering targets I was a mess. Really embarrassing moments.

WolvenOne

I could see the oil or sands of time, I think they will leave the weapon stuff to coil though.

Hmm, so putting in the sands and oils of time, but leaving the unidentified allagan tomestones in Coil alone?

Well, maybe, I guess. Especially if they're going to add another 110 weapon set, like the Primal Focus set introduced in 2.1.

Sorian

Banned
I'm lost *goes to Google*. XD

I kind of jumped in there without doing my research on what you were talking about. We are talking about the reward for having a one-time password set up right? Anyone who plays the game can set up a return point, this is the place you go to when you die and you can get a free teleport there once every 12 minutes. If you have the one-time password then you can also set it up so one of the teleports in your list costs 0 gil. You can teleport as much as you want wih no cooldown so this free teleport is better than the return option IMO.

Hmm, so putting in the sands and oils of time, but leaving the unidentified allagan tomestones in Coil alone?

Well, maybe, I guess. Especially if they're going to add another 110 weapon set, like the Primal Focus set introduced in 2.1.

I can see where you're coming from, I think either of the special coil items would be kind of a sticky situation but who knows what they will do.

Dunan

If you have nothing else targeted, as soon as you cast a spell you will then "sticky" target them. that is your target will now be on them. If you PREVIOUSLY had something else targeted and you quick target on them, as soon as you use an ability/spell on that target, you will automatically resume with your "sticky" target that you previously had targeted.

best example I can give is as a healer. I have the tank "sticky" targeted. That is he is my target. Then as others need spot heals/esunas/whatevers I will use up/dn to hover over them and cast the spell at which point my target returns to the tank. Likewise I can do the same thing with mobs using L1+up/dn. So I can quick target a mob, cast a DOT, then my next cast (heal) would be on the tank.

I've done this exact thing and love how the game enables you to keep one person (inevitably the tank) as your default target.

it's funny that you mentioned being worried about healing because honestly this setup is crazy easy with a controller. I basically only have to press up or down once (twice for one party member) and heal/whatever anyone in the party. very easy.

I should have been clearer; after trying a thaumaturge first and having a terrible struggle targeting things, I thought I'd never be able to do it as a healer. Then when I tried healing, there was this fantastic up/down + "sticky target" setup which was a total breeze to work with. During my first healing mission (Sastasha, I think), the othe rmembers didn't believe that I'd never healed before!

One more targeting question: is there a way for the game to automatically target an enemy that suddenly starts attacking you? Many times I've been out wandering the world, staying out of fights, only to have an enemy suddenly develop aggro against me. And while I'm still futzing with the arrow buttons trying to target the thing, he gets a few hits in on me. In such situations, the game should automatically target the thing that is targeting you.

Also, way off topic: I'd like to see it become possible for crafters/gatherers to fight enemies and gain experience from it. Maybe with a tool in one hand and something more offensive in the other. There really isn't time to go into the menu, switch classes, and wait for cooldowns to finish just so that we can swat away a pesky bee or squirrel. Let us fight those while we gather!

Cetra

Eh, as a Tank you can decide on the speed of the run. If they pull and get over come or whatever their fault and they will either kick you or learn to suck it up and slow down for those who don't want to run a certain way.

And if you get kicked you're a tank. You get queues instantly most of the time, near instantly the rest of the time. If they nerf the dungeon for SRs then that just hurts everyone who wants to get myth tomes quickly.

Yeah I get that, but being berated for not having full i90 is demoralizing. I'm one fight away from my Curtana, but I don't have the gear for Titan. So I queue for dungeons which I'm geared for according to the game in order to gear up. Then I just get three players giving me crap for not having better than AF1 body, etc.

Granted, this doesn't happen all the time. But it certainly happens a majority of the time. It's just really frustrated, 'cause I love this game. But more often than not many players just make it difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel during these dungeons. =/

borghe

I need these as well. But I'm currently only level 30.

I'm seeing it said to abandon and retake the quest in the even you get a level 40 requirement. Apparently the necessary hats are random.

unfortunately (FUCK!!) PSN is down now. Hoping to be on AS SOON AS it's back up (well, unless that is before I get out of work in an hour)

Sorian

Banned
yeah, this annoys me to no end. I am STILL waiting for my Chocobo at lvl 23 because.. yup.. "do the main story" grrr... I WANTS MY FAT CHOCOBO!!!!!!

Isn't fat chocobo in your mail box already? The regular chocobo is in the main storyline.

Yeah I get that, but being berated for not having full i90 is demoralizing. I'm one fight away from my Curtana, but I don't have the gear for Titan. So I queue for dungeons which I'm geared for according to the game in order to gear up. Then I just get three players giving me crap for not having better than AF1 body, etc.

Granted, this doesn't happen all the time. But it certainly happens a majority of the time. It's just really frustrated, 'cause I love this game. But more often than not many players just make it difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel during these dungeons. =/

I'm finding it difficult to gear up for the endgame as a tank as well. But there are still plenty of good people out there. It's just that sometimes you get unlucky and meet up with a few douchenozzles.

(I have noticed that people are a lot quicker to vote abandon or just leave than on lower level dungeons though.)

Damn, original owners can't add their purchase to Steam? That kind of sucks. I want to stream it to my Mac. :(

Hedrush

I've received three commendations. I guess this is other players who have given me these yes? How on earth do I make a commendation on another player tho? I would've really liked to have commended the player who helped me through my first dungeon. I just can't seem to find how to do it.

borghe

One more targeting question: is there a way for the game to automatically target an enemy that suddenly starts attacking you? Many times I've been out wandering the world, staying out of fights, only to have an enemy suddenly develop aggro against me. And while I'm still futzing with the arrow buttons trying to target the thing, he gets a few hits in on me. In such situations, the game should automatically target the thing that is targeting you.
if you have nothing targeted already and mob starts attacking you (i.e. you aggro it) I am almost 99.9% sure you will automatically soft/quick target it. at this point cast an offensive spell or press "X" and you should fully/hard/sticky target it.

Yeah but he can't ride it yet so it's sitting there laughing at him.

that is mean. but true.

I've received three commendations. I guess this is other players who have given me these yes? How on earth do I make a commendation on another player tho? I would've really liked to have commended the player who helped me through my first dungeon. I just can't seem to find how to do it.
down at the bottom right by the "loot" indicator after the dungeon is finished. get to it the same way you do the need/greed/pass window. you can only commend players who are currently in the instance. so anyone that drops before you do the commendation won't show up to commend.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member

You have to do it right at the end of a dungeon. A panel comes up in the lower right (by default) that looks like a loot panel. You click it and choose who to give commendation to.

WolvenOne

I kind of jumped in there without doing my research on what you were talking about. We are talking about the reward for having a one-time password set up right? Anyone who plays the game can set up a return point, this is the place you go to when you die and you can get a free teleport there once every 12 minutes. If you have the one-time password then you can also set it up so one of the teleports in your list costs 0 gil. You can teleport as much as you want wih no cooldown so this free teleport is better than the return option IMO.

I can see where you're coming from, I think either of the special coil items would be kind of a sticky situation but who knows what they will do.

Well, it'd give people more means to gear up for Coil, and give Coil static members incentive to run CT2 as well. (If they need one of those special coil drops, and just aren't lucking out, CT2 would be the only other option for that week.

That said, there's probably other ways to give players that sort of incentive.

Interfectum

Hit the O button so you have nothing targetted, face your enemy and hit the X button. That usually works for me.

So basically, untarget -> retarget, instead of futzing around with the directional pad.

You have to do it right at the end of a dungeon. A panel comes up in the lower right (by default) that looks like a loot panel. You click it and choose who to give commendation to.
Can you commend more than one player? It always seems like I have to choose one over the rest.

Hedrush

down at the bottom right by the "loot" indicator after the dungeon is finished. get to it the same way you do the need/greed/pass window. you can only commend players who are currently in the instance. so anyone that drops before you do the commendation won't show up to commend.

Thanks

I'm a bit gutted I missed that as the player who helped me out was extremely helpful. Hopefully our paths will cross again.

WolvenOne

Broke 200 commendations sometime in the past 24 hours.

Gadzooks it's going to take forever to get the 500 you need for the Golden Magitech armor! D:

Probably almost as much time as it'll take to clear 8 man content two hundred times to get that blasted bear mount. D:

I mean, I guess I'm glad these are things that not just anyone can get, but, gadzooks! D:

Gaz_RB

Gadzooks it's going to take forever to get the 500 you need for the Golden Magitech armor! D:

Probably almost as much time as it'll take to clear 8 man content two hundred times to get that blasted bear mount. D:

I mean, I guess I'm glad these are things that not just anyone can get, but, gadzooks! D:

In case any one was wondering:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gadzooks

It supposedly goes really fast if you PVP actively. I know Pellegri in the Ultros FC shot up to the gold mount pretty quick once he got into that stuff.

Milly79

The best thing I've found that works for me with targeting (and this is highly dependant on what role you're playing) is to set up the filter for whenever my weapon is drawn. Since I'm dps, I have it set to enemies only and it's worked wonders. I couldn't get the filter to stay on enemies, it would always switch back to other (I think). I'm sure there's a way around this.

And reposting since I didn't get any answers this morning:

So, I hit 46 today and my next story quest is at 49. I've done every single side quest I can find throughout the zones they've sent me to. Am I really going to have to dungeon, leve and guildheist all the way to 50 or am I missing some zones? Xp has literally slowed to a crawl at this point.

system11

Make sure you enable and use Target Filtering in the options. You can use this to target only specific types of things in the game world. This can make selecting players or NPCs much easier if the D-Pad simply won't select relevant people.

I've found something quite annoying with the filters - I've got an Enemies filter, and I can switch to that with L1+square, but each time a new fight starts it defaults back to 'Others' which includes all sorts of things I don't want to target usually. New fight can mean something as simple as the last enemy dying and one engaging a second later. I want to pick a filter and have it stay that way until I tell it otherwise. Unless someone knows of a way to stop that happening I might raise a support ticket for Squeenix to probably ignore ;)

Edit: same problem as the poster above!

WolvenOne

It supposedly goes really fast if you PVP actively. I know Pellegri in the Ultros FC shot up to the gold mount pretty quick once he got into that stuff.

Maybe after I finish my Animus, the grind on that is taking up a ton of my time and energy right now. Though, I hope the Animus to Whatever grind is a little less, time consuming. :p

Mesharey

Oh, OK. Thanks a lot. @@

Sophia

I've found something quite annoying with the filters - I've got an Enemies filter, and I can switch to that with L1+square, but each time a new fight starts it defaults back to 'Others' which includes all sorts of things I don't want to target usually. New fight can mean something as simple as the last enemy dying and one engaging a second later. I want to pick a filter and have it stay that way until I tell it otherwise. Unless someone knows of a way to stop that happening I might raise a support ticket for Squeenix to probably ignore ;)

Edit: same problem as the poster above!

Turn off Target Cycling to fix that.

Mupod

docbon got commendations super fast when he PVPed as a healer back when you could still get instant queues. He just made sure to leave last.

Nowadays, the queues are so long you probably won't get them very quick. It's still where most of mine come from though, even as a tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom