• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvenOne

The best thing I've found that works for me with targeting (and this is highly dependant on what role you're playing) is to set up the filter for whenever my weapon is drawn. Since I'm dps, I have it set to enemies only and it's worked wonders. I couldn't get the filter to stay on enemies, it would always switch back to other (I think). I'm sure there's a way around this.

And reposting since I didn't get any answers this morning:

So, I hit 46 today and my next story quest is at 49. I've done every single side quest I can find throughout the zones they've sent me to. Am I really going to have to dungeon, leve and guildheist all the way to 50 or am I missing some zones? Xp has literally slowed to a crawl at this point.

Well there's the challenge log, the hunting logs, XP for exploring the entirety of maps. (Exploring the overworld everywhere will aware you most of a levels worth of XP.)

You probably are going to need to re-run a dungeon or two though, though it is very likely that you overlooked a side quest or two.

jorgeton

The best thing I've found that works for me with targeting (and this is highly dependant on what role you're playing) is to set up the filter for whenever my weapon is drawn. Since I'm dps, I have it set to enemies only and it's worked wonders. I couldn't get the filter to stay on enemies, it would always switch back to other (I think). I'm sure there's a way around this.

And reposting since I didn't get any answers this morning:

So, I hit 46 today and my next story quest is at 49. I've done every single side quest I can find throughout the zones they've sent me to. Am I really going to have to dungeon, leve and guildheist all the way to 50 or am I missing some zones? Xp has literally slowed to a crawl at this point.

Revenant's toll area has a bunch of level 46-50 quests. But you get the most XP by doing Duty Roulette/Guildhest roulette (i forget what it's technically called) daily. I think higher level Fates also give decent XP. Find a hub with decent level Fates that spawn around it (I think Camp Dragonshead is a good spot) and just keep grinding at it. It goes faster than you'd think.

Looks like I got accepted in to the GAF FC on Ultros. I played a few hours of FFXI back on PS2 when that came out, but besides that I'm new to the whole MMO thing. Still trying to get all the general MMO basics down and reading up on the basics of tanking since I started as a Marauder.

Just started playing the game this weekend and got my Marauder to level 13. Characters name is Walt Jabsco. Hope to play with some GAFers down the road. I'm sure I'll need the help.

Alucrid

Banned
and/or, additional "Unidentified Allagan Tomestone," and "Oil/Sand or Time," drops as well. New armor is the safe bet, but, considering that Square will likely want to start getting more people doing Second Coil by then, I could see them adding those drops as well, and putting them behind the 1 per week lockout that Labyrinth had.

Edit: Well, the drops for acquiring and upgrading the Soldiery weapons anyway. Maybe not the item for upgrading Soldiery armor to 110.
Seems pretty pointless when the entire idea of doing coil is to get those drops that you're putting in ct

system11

Oh, is that it? It said that when i just booted up BF4 but then it let me join a game no problem.

Just some functions are offline, but one of them is the bit the client checks software version against, as far as I can tell. It wouldn't surprise me if this is some kind of prep work ahead of the firmware update.

Annoying though, since the 14th (and a few beta days) I've pushed got my character to L40 Bard, but I wanted to run one of the dungeons to try to get a bow that drops there.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Oh, is that it? It said that when i just booted up BF4 but then it let me join a game no problem.

depends totally on how your existing (if you had one) PSN connection was cached. PSN Maintenance basically means "A ton of people are going to be greatly annoyed, but a few will actually be able to still play"

WolvenOne

Seems pretty pointless when the entire idea of doing coil is to get those drops that you're putting in ct

Well keep in mind that by the time CT2 is introduced, we'll only be three months away from Coil 3. If the developers follow the same patterns they have in the past, they'll introduce additional upgrade paths to make it easier for people to get ready for Coil.

In 2.1, that meant additional ilvl90 weapons, and ilvl80 armor drops. Now, presumably by 2.25 or 2.3 we'll have two weapon sets at ilvl110 already, the Soldiery weapons and the upgraded Relics. Three sets of ilvl110 weaponry would probably be overkill, but making that weapon more easily available would probably help some players actually jump into Coil.

Plus they have to do something to make CT2 desirable to farm, aside from gearing up Alts anyway. Granted, there are alternative methods to do all of these things, this is just the solution I thought up at the top of my head.

EDIT: Just realized something though. The Primal Focus weapons, despite their origin, are actually the weapon sets that complete the Crystal Tower armor sets. With this in mind, if we're indeed going to get more Crystal Tower armor sets, we'll probably get another set of ilvl110 weaponry to go along with them.

If they're doing that, I'm not sure it'd be wise to include the Coil upgrades in CT2 then.

Zukuu

Banned
So after playing for roughly 12 hours or so, I came to the conclusion that the game just isn't for me. There is barely anything I like and a shit ton of stuff I very much dislike. Since PvP is a very low focus of the game and I'm a PvPer at heart, I just don't see myself paying for another month. Well, was worth a try. I may level up some more, but I don't really have any urge to continue at this point. If I see another fetch quest I may go insane.

Alucrid

Banned
Well keep in mind that by the time CT2 is introduced, we'll only be three months away from Coil 3. If the developers follow the same patterns they have in the past, they'll introduce additional upgrade paths to make it easier for people to get ready for Coil.

In 2.1, that meant additional ilvl90 weapons, and ilvl80 armor drops. Now, presumably by 2.25 or 2.3 we'll have two weapon sets at ilvl110 already, the Soldiery weapons and the upgraded Relics. Three sets of ilvl110 weaponry would probably be overkill, but making that weapon more easily available would probably help some players actually jump into Coil.

Plus they have to do something to make CT2 desirable to farm, aside from gearing up Alts anyway. Granted, there are alternative methods to do all of these things, this is just the solution I thought up at the top of my head.
I fail to see how ex primal weapons was helping people to get ready for coil. Some of those fights were far more difficult that the first couple of turns and the zenith was already easy enough to farm up that another 90 weapon wouldn't be the one to tip your over to entering coil.

Seeing the new relic upgrade path in the next patch would be ridiculous considering the number of people who are halfway there or barely there at all. If they do introduce the next relic upgrade in 2.3 then another 110 weapon seems superfluous considering that the relic is widely available to everyone already, and similar to the extreme primals, getting the new weapons would likely be relegated to coil groups doing it for alts.

Plenty of people farmed CT for alts and tomes even though it was pretty much obsolete when it came out. Putting half the loot that drops in coil in CT to prepare them for coil is stupid.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Hey this thing gives you an extra free return location! Worth it.
bonus_item_10.png

it does what now?

Isaccard

Well I have a group. What I was saying is that if you are a hardcore player (I wouldn't consider myself a hardcore player), there's really not much room for you as we as an FC don't work on progressing our semi-casual to hardcore, and our hardcore all have set statics. That's the gap, and why I wouldn't recommend they join GAF. As a new or casual player, it's amazing.

I mean we have maybe a handful of players past Turn 5 who aren't in a set static within FC. So if you're a player like the one who posted which I responded to who is past Turn 5 and you're looking for a group to run turn 6+ with, unless you can convince players like DT and Kirito to leave their external statics, not going to get much together. Unless one of the old ones loses a member.

Not knocking, just the reality of it. I have just accepted that GAF is a social club and party finder. Can't do much with it's size (almost 500 members? to help them all out, especially with hard content, would be insane) and age (lots of old members who have helped too many people that have come and gone, where's the benefit anymore for them?). I get it. But we need to be more upfront to players about what it is so they can make a decision before hand.

What I find amusing about your latest tantrum against the GAF FC is that you're trying to speak for a demographic you yourself don't even consider yourself apart of. It's not anyones job nor the leaders to progress you through the games content. The [leadership] aren't your or anyone elses personal tour guide to hold your hand through the game.

People looking for statics can be (and are) proactive about it by using the guildwork site Maple has set up for in game stuff with other GAF members like this; there's plenty of [whatever you wanna identify as] members who want to do [whatever] content.

Got some beasting gear for my level 36 PLD in a dungeon (one with dragon end boss). Defense went up about 40, and the extra effects increased hugely!

Woohoo! Today has been a good day. Was level 30 this morning.

Hedrush

Damn I thought PSN was back up as I can now view the what's new section, but it's not :(

An extremely strange scheduling time for maintenance considering it's an Easter holiday.

PSN maintenance

What's funny is I wiped all my activated systems via the website (for some reason it wouldn't allow to wipe individually). My ENTIRE PS4 library is digital, I activated my account on my brother's PS4 first 'cause he wanted to play infamous. So my own console is secondary (requires a connection at all times; didn't realize this at the time). So... I can't play squat till PSN is up.

Lesson to be learned here?

WolvenOne

I fail to see how ex primal weapons was helping people to get ready for coil. Some of those fights were far more difficult that the first couple of turns and the zenith was already easy enough to farm up that another 90 weapon wouldn't be the one to tip your over to entering coil.

Seeing the new relic upgrade path in the next patch would be ridiculous considering the number of people who are halfway there or barely there at all. If they do introduce the next relic upgrade in 2.3 then another 110 weapon seems superfluous considering that the relic is widely available to everyone already, and similar to the extreme primals, getting the new weapons would likely be relegated to coil groups doing it for alts.

Plenty of people farmed CT for alts and tomes even though it was pretty much obsolete when it came out. Putting half the loot that drops in coil in CT to prepare them for coil is stupid.

The Primal weapons, not so much. They did help people get alternate classes ready for Coil, which is important if somebody decides they need to switch jobs, but that's not quite the same thing.

As for why I threw out letting those drop as a possibility, that'd more be for making certain high level players actually did CT2 after the first few weeks of the patch. Being able to upgrade Soldiery weapons more easily would certainly help some individuals jump into coil more easily, but if they're indeed going to add another weapon set I doubt they'd take this route.

Milly79

What I find amusing about your latest tantrum against the GAF FC is that you're trying to speak for a demographic you yourself don't even consider yourself apart of. It's not anyones job nor the leaders to progress you through the games content. The [leadership] aren't your or anyone elses personal tour guide to hold your hand through the game.

People looking for statics can be (and are) proactive about it by using the guildwork site Maple has set up for in game stuff with other GAF members like this; there's plenty of [whatever you wanna identify as] members who want to do [whatever] content.

You've changed so much. Brings a tear to my eye. ;_;

WolvenOne

So after playing for roughly 12 hours or so, I came to the conclusion that the game just isn't for me. There is barely anything I like and a shit ton of stuff I very much dislike. Since PvP is a very low focus of the game and I'm a PvPer at heart, I just don't see myself paying for another month. Well, was worth a try. I may level up some more, but I don't really have any urge to continue at this point. If I see another fetch quest I may go insane.

Well thats a shame, but if you're looking for a PVP focused game, this is probably a rational decision.

Now, to cancel your account you must kill twelve Floating Eyes, and take their wings. They appear near Haukke Manor. Upon collecting their wings you must deliver them to a farmer outside of Red Rooster stead. He'll give you three keys that you must use in various locations across Eorzea. Once this is done, you'll get an email asking you to verify that you wish to cancel your account.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Unannounced maintenance is double frustrating when you're paying for a sub on a game. :'(

It was announced. At the very least it was known as of yesterday.

It's going to be down on Wednesday night, too (really Thursday morning for the east coast).

Zukuu

Banned
Now, to cancel your account you must kill twelve Floating Eyes, and take their wings. They appear near Haukke Manor. Upon collecting their wings you must deliver them to a farmer outside of Red Rooster stead. He'll give you three keys that you must use in various locations across Eorzea. Once this is done, you'll get an email asking you to verify that you wish to cancel your account.

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Hedrush

How long is maintenance for PSN today starting to get withdrawal symptoms.

The PSN will be down for at least 6 hours on April 21st. The maintenance happens from 9:50AM to 3:50 PM Pacific Time, or 12:50pm to 6:50pm Eastern Time. Don’t be alarmed if you cannot log in to the PSN or PlayStation Store today.

Seth

Are the duty finders for the raid dungeons viable? What are the odds a duty finder party actually does well in coil?

Id like to do some of these, but don't have time to commit to GC.

Yopis

The PSN will be down for at least 6 hours on April 21st. The maintenance happens from 9:50AM to 3:50 PM Pacific Time, or 12:50pm to 6:50pm Eastern Time. Don’t be alarmed if you cannot log in to the PSN or PlayStation Store today.

Nice well leaves time for a run with the dog then.

SRTtoZ

There's this thing that happens after a few hours of playing where I close the game and say 'thats good for now' but then 30 minutes later I can't help but boot it back up...

halp.

Now that my 1st hotbar is basically filled up with actions, I have a question for PC players. How does the hotbar format work for you guys? I know all the commands are on a horizontal line. Can you have more than one hotbar line present and if so, how do you accommodate for that? I want to know if maybe I should make the switch to keyboard

reposting for advice

Try the market, although I haven't have any luck buying princess trout trying to make grilled trout. Alternatively buy the best gear for your class and eat some food that raises perception.

Doesn't the fishmonger sell princess trout on Limsa Lominsa?

Buy the entire set for your level. Field gear is cheap from vendors and you will use it on your other gathering jobs.

One piece of advice. Once you get a 100% spiritbond replace it for a new piece. You'll thank me later.

Hit the O button so you have nothing targetted, face your enemy and hit the X button. That usually works for me.

So basically, untarget -> retarget, instead of futzing around with the directional pad.

There's a macro that comes premade that let's just target and auto attack the closest enemy. I keep it in my hotbar for FATES and for when things get confusing.

So I finally tried Qarn last night. I was a little scared I wouldn't be able to hold aggro since I was only lvl 36 Warrior, but I had no problems with that. Made sure to tell everyone that I was new to the dungeon and had no idea what it was about, thankfully I got a supportive group.

So after the first boss I die, but it was totally the healer's fault (everyone agreed!) and he ended up leaving. The new one was really good, so that was nice. We died a couple of times on the second boss because I didn't know about doom. After they explained it to me (which probably should have happened before the first time we fought it) we got through easily.

The last boss was a lot of fun. We died the first time because our strategy was too unfocused. We agreed I would only concentrate on the boss and keep it in the middle, while the DPS would deal with the other stuff. It worked great. It was really fun having to dodge those beams while keeping close to the boss. Brutal Swing might be my favorite skill ever. When I was starting out I was just spamming it every 20 seconds, but for bosses I think it's much better to time it when they so an AoE attack so you don't have to dodge and can continue the attack. This dungeon is probably the most fun I've had with the game yet. I can't wait to do more dungeons. I should be fighting Titan soon, I can't wait.

Korezo

Are the duty finders for the raid dungeons viable? What are the odds a duty finder party actually does well in coil?

Id like to do some of these, but don't have time to commit to GC.

Turn 1 is ok, Crystal Tower is always good, too scared to try the others since a simple fight like Garuda Ex is impossible in DF for me, and I imagine turn 2 where everyone needs to be doing stuff like swapping would be impossible.

Now that my 1st hotbar is basically filled up with actions, I have a question for PC players. How does the hotbar format work for you guys? I know all the commands are on a horizontal line. Can you have more than one hotbar line present and if so, how do you accommodate for that? I want to know if maybe I should make the switch to keyboard
I have a microsoft mouse that has two side buttons. I mapped those to CTRL and ALT.
I have 4 hotbars, mapped to neutral, CTRL, ALT and CTRL + ALT. That effectively gives me around 20 actions with ease just by using 1-5 on the keyboard combined with side buttons, plus some that I click.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Second Binding Coil of Bahamut Turn 9 Spoilers. Got a question for those who have watched the cutscene...

Is this suggesting that Louisoix has been tampered by Bahamut in some way? Interesting development. I find it funny that the girl just ups and basically says "Welp, that's it for this place! See you next time player!" after the events occur. They are really stretching this storyline out Wings of the Goddess style, aren't they? Has she even told Minfilia and the rest about everything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom