• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aceface

Sigh, I've been doing 2-3 EX Titan tries each day (queuing takes ages) and I'm still far from beating it.
By far the most difficult fight in the game I've tried.

Run it with a static/FC mates. Queueing and running it with pugs every time can't be fun.

Grinchy

Banned
I haven't tanked in a MMO since Everquest Online Adventures lol. In fact I haven't really played a MMO since FFXI (unless you wanna count DCUO). After playing too damn much XI I promised myself I'd never play a MMO again, but here I am and I'm loving this game.

I'm only level 22 so far but the dungeons have been awesome. I'm playing with my brother (a healer) so we get into dungeons immediately. The only headache that ever comes up is when a bad DD has no idea what they're doing and they keep pulling too much hate. I can live with that though.

Sorian

Banned
I haven't tanked in a MMO since Everquest Online Adventures lol. In fact I haven't really played a MMO since FFXI (unless you wanna count DCUO). After playing too damn much XI I promised myself I'd never play a MMO again, but here I am and I'm loving this game.

I'm only level 22 so far but the dungeons have been awesome. I'm playing with my brother (a healer) so we get into dungeons immediately. The only headache that ever comes up is when a bad DD has no idea what they're doing and they keep pulling too much hate. I can live with that though.

To be fair, at level 22 you suck at keeping enmity. A black mage or monk will pull off of you more often than not.

I hope all you PS4 users get a nice keyboard to communicate with...it's rather tough doing some of these lower level dungeons with people who just won't respond.

And then half of these darn tanks are just bots who are beyond help.

Grinchy

Banned
To be fair, at level 22 you suck at keeping enmity. A black mage or monk will pull off of you more often than not.

It seems to always be a ranger causing problems in my short few experiences so far. And when they pull the hate they run around like a beheaded chicken, thinking they aren't taking damage lol

Sorian

Banned
It seems to always be a ranger causing problems in my short few experiences so far. And when they pull the hate they run around like a beheaded chicken, thinking they aren't taking damage lol

Yeah, that's dumb, even casters should know to just sit there and take it so you can attempt to get hate back. In the end, get to 30 and become the real version of whatever class you are playing and if you are a gladiator then click flash more.

Handy Fake

I hope all you PS4 users get a nice keyboard to communicate with...it's rather tough doing some of these lower level dungeons with people who just won't respond.

And then half of these darn tanks are just bots who are beyond help.

LOL - our boy's got one on his shopping list after a frustrating march through a dungeon like. He was the tank and the group lost their ranger... PS4 version barely mentions the console commands and he was having a devil of a time trying to communicate with the PC players who were asking him to pass leadership (which is a faff on) so one could summon his mate.

So yes, buy a keyboard.

Kenai

Neat, I hate that spell. Any other stuff I need to know?

Your DPS will go up a ton if you have your Egi on Obey and use Contagion properly (always use Garuda in raids for max DPS). Contagion + Bane on adds is really amazing DPS. Also don't neglect Ruin spam after your dots are up, it's essentially a 4th DoT if you cast it enough.

For super advanced tactics, look into meleeing with your book when you can as well (no I am not joking).

Moaradin

Finally hit 1 million gil! Pretty big milestone for me considering I have piss poor money management in most MMOs.

I've probably made over 2 million lifetime gil, but I've sunk so much money down the materia drain.

Ken

Finally hit 1 million gil! Pretty big milestone for me considering I have piss poor money management in most MMOs.

I've probably made over 2 million lifetime gil, but I've sunk so much money down the materia drain.

i finally hit 30k giil today

Aeana

We let our summoner get the book last week and Bookey got the tome this week.

We gave it to Vero first just because he had the tomes lying around. Odo had spent all of his. Guy got it this week, since he's closer than anybody else too.

_woLf

ehnPdLs.jpg

awwwwww yessss :3

FireVoa

It is so hard finding statics on Sargatanas with T6-9 progression in mind. Tons of large FC's with 100's of players are around but almost all enjoy the casual aspects of the game over raiding. Sadly most of the decent ones are all close knit 10-12 man groups... It's quite the depressing realization I've come to.

ThinFinn

So I'm thinking of transferring to Ultros to join up with my fellow GAF mates.

The only thing holding me back is the notion of latency issues.

Does anyone from SEA have any experience playing on a NA server who can provide some feedback?

Isaccard

It is so hard finding statics on Sargatanas with T6-9 progression in mind. Tons of large FC's with 100's of players are around but almost all enjoy the casual aspects of the game over raiding. Sadly most of the decent ones are all close knit 10-12 man groups... It's quite the depressing realization I've come to.

Surely Kiyorgi has a solution to this

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

I'm in the same boat
The old school Turn 1-5 parties are very tight-knit, if they lose a member or two, they just grab someone from within they trust
Even new groups that form, dissolve very f'n quickly

I have seen people who have Turn 5 weapons, that still don't know how f'n conflags or twisters work, yet they running around with 'em

Just gonna try 1 week and see if I can get into a Coil team, if not, time to go super casual, and just do daily stuff and go back to trophy whoring

Phlebas

Banned
I'm in the same boat
The old school Turn 1-5 parties are very tight-knit, if they lose a member or two, they just grab someone from within they trust
Even new groups that form, dissolve very f'n quickly

I have seen people who have Turn 5 weapons, that still don't know how f'n conflags or twisters work, yet they running around with 'em

Just gonna try 1 week and see if I can get into a Coil team, if not, time to go super casual, and just do daily stuff and go back to trophy whoring

At least on my server there are a few FCs that sell T5 kills.

I'm in the same boat as well, Its hard to find people who still need T5 that can get through the mechanics.

Enjolras

Neo Member
Bought myself a little wireless keyboard for the PS4 version yesterday, and I've never been so glad I did so. Got myself into a hellish Brayflox run as SMN (just to complete my Battlemage kit) where the PLD didn't hold hate, the WHM didn't use Esuna and kited anything they aggroed, and we had an ARC to fill out the team.

Ended up giving coaching lessons to everyone, getting Titan out to help with trash pulls (tank still didn't want to use Flash as much as he needed), using Physick when the WHM was OOM... and somehow despite wiping on the other two bosses, we managed to oneshot Aiatar. I don't even want to think about how many hours I would have spent trying to type everything using the on screen keyboard! I do hope that my party learned something and won't just go back to their old ways now...

In other news, got my second 50 yesterday (WHM)! Now, to go for the relic or level up SCH/SMN next?

danthefan

For my second class I'm thinking of going for a tank (first is a healer), so which is the best tank class overall? I believe both warrior and paladin have their benefits, is one more fun to play than the other?

Also, I'm about to hit lv 30 with my conjurer, is there any good reason NOT to go WHM? Is it just a no-brainer?

Ken

For my second class I'm thinking of going for a tank (first is a healer), so which is the best tank class overall? I believe both warrior and paladin have their benefits, is one more fun to play than the other?

Also, I'm about to hit lv 30 with my conjurer, is there any good reason NOT to go WHM? Is it just a no-brainer?

i think war is more entertaining than pld

yes just go WHM. no reason not to.

wapplew

Does anyone from SEA have any experience playing on a NA server who can provide some feedback?

I'm playing on Ultro, l would say latency is around 200-350ms. It's quite noticeable.
If you serious about high level end game stuff, it's not a good idea to transfer. Not because of latency but time zone.

Maybe you can create a new character and try it yourself?

Yaqoub

I have a lv50 Paladin but I got my Warrior to 38 last night and so far it's a lot more fun to play than Paladin. Warrior has more versatility in terms of combos and abilities while Paladin is a lot more stale in comparison, but quite the tank.

You can't go wrong with both BUT so far Warrior's play style feels a lot more active than Paladin's.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
[IMG.]http://i.imgur.com/ehnPdLs.jpg[/IMG]

awwwwww yessss :3

Oh wow

You can /beckon it, and it will jump up on your shoulder.

Minions are so much cooler in FFXIV then any other MMORPG i've played. Lots of little touches, like the mogs dancing in tandem, and the wolf puppy and the coeurl kitten getting into small fights when near each other.

danthefan

i think war is more entertaining than pld

yes just go WHM. no reason not to.

I have a lv50 Paladin but I got my Warrior to 38 last night and so far it's a lot more fun to play than Paladin. Warrior has more versatility in terms of combos and abilities while Paladin is a lot more stale in comparison, but quite the tank.

You can't go wrong with both BUT so far Warrior's play style feels a lot more active than Paladin's.

Thanks folks.

325ms. It's crazy amount of lag for Titans and stuff.

If you're interested I'm in an FC in Masamune (JP Server). It's a pretty lax FC, while most of them are doing Bahamut there's people like me just treating it like a glorified IRC chat.. Just PM me if interested.

Open to other GAF members as well.

IMBored

My low level duty roulette yesterday was Ifrit, and there was no first timer. Why would someone want to do Ifrit if not for the story? At least it's fast to finish. Also completed Garuda , the stuff that happens after it is crazy.

Munba

In the new Famitsu there are all the new pvp equip and they are very nice (pld, brd and mnk especially). Time to play it seriously.

Yaqoub

My low level duty roulette yesterday was Ifrit, and there was no first timer. Why would someone want to do Ifrit if not for the story? At least it's fast to finish. Also completed Garuda , the stuff that happens after it is crazy.

Yeah that cutscene was insane, I loved it (while shouting DAAAAAAAAYUM throughout).

Hasney

Oh wow

You can /beckon it, and it will jump up on your shoulder.

Minions are so much cooler in FFXIV then any other MMORPG i've played. Lots of little touches, like the mogs dancing in tandem, and the wolf puppy and the coeurl kitten getting into small fights when near each other.

WAT. I was happy with my wolf pup until I saw you could do that.

danthefan

Did Ifrit yesterday, dat cutscenes. He looks absolutely awesome.

Got my Chocobo today.

This game is like crack. Can't. Stop. Playing.

dcye

Was doing T5 with Cerise Iona last night, formerly of ShinRa now of Exordium. She was playing her WAR and was pulling 240dps on most pulls, out dpsing two pug BLM's. I was only just keeping ahead of her with 260-270 on my BRD haha. Some people are crazy good at this game man.

Ken

Was doing T5 with Cerise Iona last night, formerly of ShinRa now of Exordium. She was playing her WAR and was pulling 240dps on most pulls, out dpsing two pug BLM's. I was only just keeping ahead of her with 260-270 on my BRD haha. Some people are crazy good at this game man.

what was her gear?

nevermind, i see it.

i can believe that with all strength accessories and all attribute points dumped into strength as well.

Tash

Umm yeah, he likes to rub it in as well if others are not as good. He was nerd raging at some DPS in the Levi group..I hate wannabe elitists..and with gear like that it's not a big surprise..
Also not being able to dodge dives and being dead then blaming the other dps for his death..yeah..no..
Also wud? He was still ShinRa yesterday when I was online iirc. ShinRa has now like 5 people left..Krietor's military regime didn't pay off it seems.

Good to see an FFXI player and the term DD again. Yes, I agree, it is annoying that DPS in this do not keep an eye on their own enmity. In FFXI they would hold off on a powerful attack if they knew the tank didn't have enough enmity yet, but in this they just keep on going.

My main problem with tanking in this so far is that one DPS always seems to try and solo their own mob in a dungeon and I have to change which mob I'm focusing on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom