• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

I know she's decked with STR accessories but man, that's still legit DPS for someone MT'ing.

well, inner beast ignores the damage penalty from defiance and that can easily crit for over 1k, and MT should be smacking the boss as much as anyone else in the group but idunno. i don't think it's too hard to believe that a war tank can do pretty good dps when sacrificing pretty much all vit points for str.

Taruranto

Good to see an FFXI player and the term DD again. Yes, I agree, it is annoying that DPS in this do not keep an eye on their own enmity. In FFXI they would hold off on a powerful attack if they knew the tank didn't have enough enmity yet, but in this they just keep on going.

My main problem with tanking in this so far is that one DPS always seems to try and solo their own mob in a dungeon and I have to change which mob I'm focusing on.

To be fair enmity in this game is a joke, maybe they are used to play to high-levels were it's basically impossible to lose hate since it's given to tanks basically for free.

dcye

Umm yeah, he likes to rub it in as well if others are not as good. He was nerd raging at some DPS in the Levi group..I hate wannabe elitists..and with gear like that it's not a big surprise..
Also not being able to dodge dives and being dead then blaming the other dps for his death..yeah..no..
Also wud? He was still ShinRa yesterday when I was online iirc. ShinRa has now like 5 people left..Krietor's military regime didn't pay off it seems.

Well, I've played with her a bunch and despite screwing up loads never been abused or anything, I've been laughed at though. Like last night when I ran out of the neurolink early and copped profusion hahah. The only person I've ever played with that was a complete dick (not including pugs) was Krietor, the rest of the old ShinRa guys were cool enough to me. I don't know about timezone differences but they all left for EX 2 days ago now, KrietoR said he'd stand down if they wanted, then refused to when they said yes Haha. Saw him shouting in Limsa for players lol.

Artorias

Banned
I upgraded from PS3 to PS4 version last week, and I'm getting disconnected pretty regularly now. I hadn't played in months so maybe this is just a reality of Ultros at this point, but it seems like it got way, way worse. Some of the disconnects can't be solved while I'm in game, and force me to restart my PS4.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? I've barely been playing my PS4, so I'm not sure if other games are giving me disconnects but FF14 for PS3 very rarely did. Is the wifi on my PS4 borked, or is this normal for the game? Obviously even casual raiding is impossible when most DCs end in me getting booted from the Q.

dcye

well, inner beast ignores the damage penalty from defiance and that can easily crit for over 1k, and MT should be smacking the boss as much as anyone else in the group but idunno. i don't think it's too hard to believe that a war tank can do pretty good dps when sacrificing pretty much all vit points for str.

Eh I guess you're right, was just super surprising to see on the meter as I've never really seen it before.

Next time I post something maybe you won't argue it *shakes fist*

Ken

Eh I guess you're right, was just super surprising to see on the meter as I've never really seen it before.

Next time I post something maybe you won't argue it *shakes fist*

Well, I was just curious if it was a WAR tank or a WAR in full strength build putting out those numbers.

just finished the quest that unlocked the ability to have my chocobo fight alongside me and I've already forgotten who I can buy gysahl greens from. Who can I buy the greens from and where I can find that person?

Hasney

just finished the quest that unlocked the ability to have my chocobo fight alongside me and I've already forgotten who I can buy gysahl greens from. Who can I buy the greens from and where I can find that person?

Just remember that you take an XP penalty for having your chocobo out as it takes some to level itself up. Didn't notice until it was too late and realised I had to grind harder to get through the story missions.

Ken

Producer Letter LVI
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...oducer-LVI-(04-23-2014)?p=2054173#post2054173

It seems the new Materia system is in the 2.25. :eek:

know some of our players have been looking forward to the continuation of the Zodiac Weapons quests that I mentioned in the recent letter LIVE, but the release of these new quests has been postponed. Our reasoning for this decision is, in brief:
  • Many players still have yet to obtain an Animus weapon.
  • We would like to incorporate feedback regarding the difficulty of the Zodiac Weapon quests.
  • We are working to increase the number of locations where materials for the next upgrade can be obtained.

!!

i'm gonna be using the token system from today onwards, couldnt log into my account earlier so hoping nothing bad has happened, managed to get back in though

Tash

Many players still have yet to obtain an Animus weapon.

No shit Sherlock...
Maybe just maybe, don't include effing fates in everything you do. The Atma grind was actually less annyoing than having to be at the right location the right time to get three fates per book -.-

I can't be online just to sit at a fate spawnpoint to hope it will pop. My limited time is used up for FC stuff (not to mention, farming those 1500 myth per book..)

desu

Well so they scrapped the planned upgrade, a bit surprised.

I really wonder how they will adjust the quest though, might be worth holding out even longer to even bother with the whole Zodiac thing. Maybe it gets dumbed down a lot (the weapon is not worth it anyway, currently).

WolvenOne

Huh, new materia system you say? That's probably good, I rather like the concept of Materia, but it's an underutilized aspect of the game right now.

I'm a little disappointed that the next phase of the Relic Chain is being postponed, but even if everything goes perfectly I'm still a week from having my Animus, so it's not like I could jump into the new questline anyway.

Hopefully it is indeed a bit better balanced this time. Atma and Brave Books were actually both rather interesting ideas, blunted by imbalanced execution. I mean, the Atma's were an absurd grind when you consider that there's no actual upgrade involved in that step. Brave Books are fun, but requiring people to nearly cap Myth everytime they want a book isn't reasonable. Given that they seem to have expected more people to be done by now, suggests to me that they didn't think through just how long it'd take to gather that much Myth.

I am VERY glad to hear the developers are actively studying livestreams of actual gamers. I means that we're actually going to have something akin to actual playtesting now. XD

IMBored

I'm reaching my cap of leve allowances and thinking about spending some in CRP leves, but I'm wondering if there's any decent gear given on high level battlecraft leves, and if it's random or fixed.

Grinchy

Banned
Good to see an FFXI player and the term DD again. Yes, I agree, it is annoying that DPS in this do not keep an eye on their own enmity. In FFXI they would hold off on a powerful attack if they knew the tank didn't have enough enmity yet, but in this they just keep on going.

My main problem with tanking in this so far is that one DPS always seems to try and solo their own mob in a dungeon and I have to change which mob I'm focusing on.

Oh man I was in one of the dungeons earlier and I had this mage on my team who was fucking everything up. I was marking the enemies, but he'd fight the one I didn't mark or the one I marked with a 2 or 3. The other mage in our party would put one of the adds to sleep, which was awesome, but then this mage would use an AOE and wake it up immediately.

At one point, he just started running ahead and pulling mobs with a magic attack before I could even get to them. I don't know what he was thinking. I told my brother, the healer, to just let the guy pull one and die but he wouldn't haha. I totally understand that there are going to be new people who are trying to grasp the mechanics but something was weird about this guy.

Hasney

Oh man I was in one of the dungeons earlier and I had this mage on my team who was fucking everything up. I was marking the enemies, but he'd fight the one I didn't mark or the one I marked with a 2 or 3. The other mage in our party would put one of the adds to sleep, which was awesome, but then this mage would use an AOE and wake it up immediately.

At one point, he just started running ahead and pulling mobs with a magic attack before I could even get to them. I don't know what he was thinking. I told my brother, the healer, to just let the guy pull one and die but he wouldn't haha. I totally understand that there are going to be new people who are trying to grasp the mechanics but something was weird about this guy.

I was in a dungeon last night and I'm new to the entire MMO genre really, so I've only really just picked up what I should be doing. DPS is easy to pick up though and I was lucky enough to have good tanks who number target the enemies.

The one I had last night didn't, but it's fine, I've picked up enough to just go for the one that the damage is going down quickest if I'm targeting the wrong thing before it comes running at me. He wasn't very observant to much, we went to one of the bosses and the healer said they would be AFK quickly and he ran in and got them anyway. The other DPS stayed outside while I just went "Errr... We have an AFK... Screw it. O CAPTAIN MY CAPTAIN" and just ran in after him. Was pretty fun.

Producer Letter LVI
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...oducer-LVI-(04-23-2014)?p=2054173#post2054173

It seems the new Materia system is in the 2.25. :eek:

Have they said much about it? If so, a link or an explanation would be much appreciated.

PowerTaxi

Banned
My FC friend is gonna be pissed the relic quest has been delayed.

At least now I feel no pressure to deviate from my 1 book a week progress.

Edit: Hopefully 2.25 has a ninja update to the book fate spawn times. Two hours for all three is ok imo but two hours for just one isn't.

Nerf incoming

The RNGesus atma drop rates, the 1500 myth per book, the dramatically nerfed FATE spawn rates on the ones for the books were all ridiculous. They wanted to slow player progression but they must not have anticipated just how players would respond to that much grind they were adding all at once. Most players basically were like nope and went off to farm Levi EX instead for weapons or keep themselves busy raiding in the new Coil.

WolvenOne

Nerf incoming

The RNGesus atma drop rates, the 1500 myth per book, the dramatically nerfed FATE spawn rates on the ones for the books were all ridiculous. They wanted to slow player progression but they must not have anticipated just how players would respond to that much grind they were adding all at once. Most players basically were like nope and went off to farm Levi EX instead for weapons or keep themselves busy raiding in the new Coil.

Oh, I think plenty of people are doing the Animus thing, I'm seeing more people walking around with Atma weapons, though it seems like most people are near the beginning of that particular portion of the questline.

Overall I think you're right though. There were either two people when it came to the Zodiac weapon quest line. The grind resistant, whom are capable of pouring untold hours into repetitive tasks without much complaint, and those whom aren't grind resistant, and decided to take other paths for their next weapon.

Problem is, if they had made the Zodiac questline even a little more approachable, I think it would've slowed players progression down more overall. It's difficult to do Atma/Brave Books, while also dedicating large amounts of time to things like Atma farming, and Coil practice. If they had lopped off say, a week of time from the overall grind, more people would be done with it now, sure, but, a lot more people would be participating in it, and would subsequently be putting off progress elsewhere in the game.

Something interesting I've noticed though. An inordinate number of Tanks seem to be pursuing the Animus right now. I think this is in part because, while the Leviathan Tank weapons are neat, they're not exactly optimal tank weapons, and, because it'll be several weeks before any Tank can get the Tomestone they need for the Soldiery weapon.

The Animus weapon is one of the only viable options available for Tanks.

The worst part about the 1500 myth grind is that the NPC is obviously scamming you when she sets up the price, and there's no way to call her out on her shit. Argh.

orion434

Nerf incoming

This was me, I did the Atma drops, but with all the complaining in the FC chat of the Fates required for the books I decided to leave it at Atma until they fix the spawn rates of the Fates, they did this with the Beast Tribe Fates... increased spawn rate, made them solo-able. I'm glad I didn't rush Animus.

The Materia system does need a little refining... but if they don't include ilv 90 Crafted accessories in 2.25, it will still be under-used.

Hasney

cabt see anything missing or out of place with my character, so why did my password not work?

Chalk it up to one of lifes little mysteries.

Seriously though, if you're worried, setup one of the one time password things on your phone if its compatible. 2-step authentication is a good thing to have.

Not bothering with Atmas until I gear out more. Plus those drop rates are insane, I need the myth for crafted gear and I can get by with a Leviathan weapon.

Still shocks me to see people with their Animus weapons. 4 straight runs of Bray was enough for me.

WolvenOne

This was me, I did the Atma drops, but with all the complaining in the FC chat of the Fates required for the books I decided to leave it at Atma until they fix the spawn rates of the Fates, they did this with the Beast Tribe Fates... increased spawn rate, made them solo-able. I'm glad I didn't rush Animus.

The Materia system does need a little refining... but if they don't include ilv 90 Crafted accessories in 2.25, it will still be under-used.

Yes please.

More gearing options are always appreciated.

Hasney

My ARC really does look ridiculous at the moment after my last duty drops. I probably would have not used the crotchless trousers if it was only a +1 DEF, but +4 made me sigh and just go with it. Removing the crotch is the way forward when protecting your legs it seems. The headscarf really completes the look too.

Ken

How do we know this?

famitsu things we can't post here

so just take our word for it

I've reached the end of my letter, but allow me to close with a message of congratulations. Exceeding our expectations by leaps and bounds, we were astounded to find the final turn of the Second Coil of Bahamut has been cleared by an intrepid group of players hailing from the Order of the Blue Garter! Congratulations─your skill and commitment is an inspiration to adventurers everywhere. We look forward to seeing more players rise to the challenge of the Second Coil and triumph against the greatest dangers in the realm.

CL salt @ maximum.

orion434

Yes please.

More gearing options are always appreciated.

And where are the ilv 90 Crafted Weapons? I'm glad they added the Armor Sets, but Goldsmith has been reduced to 1 Head-piece & secondary Crafting class to acquire Tidal Barding. Blacksmith is just used to make Wolfram Ingots... kinda lop-sided at the moment. Terminus Putty makes Alchemist one of the most important classes after 2.2.

dramatis

I upgraded from PS3 to PS4 version last week, and I'm getting disconnected pretty regularly now. I hadn't played in months so maybe this is just a reality of Ultros at this point, but it seems like it got way, way worse. Some of the disconnects can't be solved while I'm in game, and force me to restart my PS4.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? I've barely been playing my PS4, so I'm not sure if other games are giving me disconnects but FF14 for PS3 very rarely did. Is the wifi on my PS4 borked, or is this normal for the game? Obviously even casual raiding is impossible when most DCs end in me getting booted from the Q.
90k has become rather regular for me post-last week's maintenance. It's actually quite stable for long stretches of time (the most unstable points are post-major patch), so I imagine they're receiving data and working on a fix that will come with either maintenance or minor patch. I generally don't worry about it too much because playing on PS3, I know it's much easier for them to deal with bug fixes on console hardware since there's significantly less varied specs compared to PC. The same holds for PS4.

I'm reaching my cap of leve allowances and thinking about spending some in CRP leves, but I'm wondering if there's any decent gear given on high level battlecraft leves, and if it's random or fixed.
The reward tables for each leve is fixed, but the reward chosen is random, like a treasure chest. Sometimes you get no reward at all, but it might come with bolstered exp/gil.

Number45

Need to look into some GC leves so I can boost my storm seals. Going to take forever to unlock the next tier of that hunting log at this rate.

For my second class I'm thinking of going for a tank (first is a healer), so which is the best tank class overall? I believe both warrior and paladin have their benefits, is one more fun to play than the other?

Also, I'm about to hit lv 30 with my conjurer, is there any good reason NOT to go WHM? Is it just a no-brainer?
I have both at around level 35. I found GLD more fun initially (axe swinging is SO slow), but as of right now I wouldn't swap for anything - all 16 buttons on my main bar are taken and used pretty much constantly.

Of course, that means I'm fucked when I get the next active ability!

Holding enmity is tough until 30, but once you go Warrior and get Defiance that improves massively - as does your ability to take punishment.

Just remember that you take an XP penalty for having your chocobo out as it takes some to level itself up. Didn't notice until it was too late and realised I had to grind harder to get through the story missions.
I didn't know this, but it explains why I'm hitting brick walls in the story quests. Oh well, I only have to queue for a dungeon or two to supplement it, I really want my Chocobo levelled. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom