• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

You can skip almost all of them. You can also change the spoken language to Japanese if you want, and keep the subtitles English.

Ha, now you've taught me something too. I take it the Japanese voice acting is a touch better?

When they
invaded the Walking Sands & captured Minfilia, I wanted them to kill her
purely because I hated her voice that much.

yeah i set it to JP voices and never looked back

because i skipped all the cutscenes in JP anyways

Oh god, I've just done it and yes this so much more bearable. Mainly because if it's terrible I'm not familiar enough with japanese intonation to recognise it ;)

I'm not sure I'll keep leveling my BLM just to get that fox gear - specially if I have to PVP as a BLM to get that thing, fuck that

The BRD and DRG ones though... yeah I think I'll keep those as my main DPS classes. Specially BRD, I need that crow set glamoured on my shit I NEED IT

I had a problem where I had to change my password for some reason (they never explained why, but whatever!) and whilst I Was fiddling on my vita trying to close down FF14 so I could play some BF4, I accidentally deleted it. WOOPS. So it's been downloading over night, but that won't patch it, right? I'll still need to go through that process again when I boot it up?

That's pretty annoying, if so. Is there a reason why they can't update via PSN instead of their own internal launcher?

Alex

Interested to see if adjustments to Materia mean spreading it out across more significant and meaningful equipment options for battle jobs at cap (ie; not the useless crafted gear) but I shouldn't get my hopes up.

Kind of disheartened to see that they're still tossing away resources on PvP. This game and it's development staff are so very unsuited to it. It's currently a ghost town and all of the system design and art being pumped into it is just going to waste. Maybe they can pull out a niche when they go with their objective based thing but I just don't see it, personally.

Vishnu

Can I ask some noob questions here?
Just started on PS4, rolled Arcanist.

Now Im a bit confused on HOW to play this char.
In instances I see a the tanks and DPS's getting really close on the enemies, why is that in case of Arcanist?
Im just lvl 25, so Im just getting the hang of everything, but as far as I can tell, I have my carbuncle to get in close, and I just stay in range to cast. So far mostly Ruin, Earthflow, the one that gets enabled then, and Virus.

This is the way this class should be played right? Cause I keep wondering if it's correct, Im usually in the back with the healer, and wait until the tank aggro's.

And also, Summoner or Scholar? Not from a char view, but from a controlwise view.
Im playing on a PS4, and I find it's just managable, and from the looks of it Scholar seems like a nightmare on PS4.

To be fair enmity in this game is a joke, maybe they are used to play to high-levels were it's basically impossible to lose hate since it's given to tanks basically for free.

What do you mean by basically given to you at higher levels? Do DPS have abilities that transfers enmity back to the tank, or something like that?

IMBored

What do you mean by basically given to you at higher levels? Do DPS have abilities that transfers enmity back to the tank, or something like that?

Some dps have abilities that reduce enmity generated, while high level tanks have much better enmity generating skills.

Some dps have abilities that reduce enmity generated, while high level tanks have much better enmity generating skills.

Sounds like it gets easier. At level 37 I have no issues at all tanking, so long as their isn't a rogue DPS waking everything up and attacking the wrong things, and even then, their hasn't been too much issue yet.

Ken

Kind of disheartened to see that they're still tossing away resources on PvP. This game and it's development staff are so very unsuited to it. It's currently a ghost town and all of the system design and art being pumped into it is just going to waste

incoming pvp set recolors for non-pvpers

use Summon I (not II) in dungeons to summon a caster pet who will attack at range. after that all you do as ACN in dungeons is throw up your dots (Bio II, Bio, Miasma) and spam Ruin until 30 (or 50 if you continue with SMN ha!)

tiv plays SCH on controller and she's pretty good at it so controller should be fine.

it's more like the emnity generation from the 1-2-3 combo is way too high for the (lack of) effort in doing that combo.

aceface

In instances I see a the tanks and DPS's getting really close on the enemies, why is that in case of Arcanist?
Im just lvl 25, so Im just getting the hang of everything, but as far as I can tell, I have my carbuncle to get in close, and I just stay in range to cast. So far mostly Ruin, Earthflow, the one that gets enabled then, and Virus.

This is the way this class should be played right? Cause I keep wondering if it's correct, Im usually in the back with the healer, and wait until the tank aggro's.

And also, Summoner or Scholar? Not from a char view, but from a controlwise view.
Im playing on a PS4, and I find it's just managable, and from the looks of it Scholar seems like a nightmare on PS4.

Scholar isn't tough on PS4. You just have to put the fairy on obey, place her near the tank for fights and have the fairy abilities on your main bar. Embrace is like having a second heal button, which is useful, or you can use a macro to bind it to Physick which gives you a heal with potency approaching Cure II. Then just treat the other fairy abilities like cooldowns. The only challenging thing about scholar is getting Sacred Soil down quickly in the right spot with a controller and even that's a lot easier on PS4.

I just hope PVP lasts long enough for me to get that gear.

I also hope that tweaks to Materia means people stop swindling money on melded weapons for relic quests.

IMBored

Sounds like it gets easier. At level 37 I have no issues at all tanking, so long as their isn't a rogue DPS waking everything up and attacking the wrong things, and even then, their hasn't been too much issue yet.

The only think that could go wrong is a BRD being the first to attack Garuda after the second wipe because he's distracted, forgetting to use quelling strikes and dying immediately. No that this would ever happen.

dramatis

Your carbuncle can stay far away, you use the pet commands to control it. In party play, the Emerald Carbuncle is recommended.

As a caster, you're squishy (if you get hate in any way, you will last less hits than the tank or the melee damage classes). You're supposed to be in the back. Your carbuncle has range too, so it doesn't need to be up close—it only ends up taking area damage if you have it in close.

As an arcanist, you are a "damage over time" (DoT, dot, however you can write 'dot') class. So you shouldn't be only casting Ruin, the spells Miasma and Bio should go up right away and you should recast when their timers run down on the enemy.

Until you hit 30, there's nothing to use Aetherflow stacks on except Energy Drain, and that's something you can use to replenish some MP if you find yourself low. Right after spending your Aetherflow stacks on Energy Drain you can use Aetherflow itself to replenish stacks.

If you get used to controls, it's much easier to play either SCH or SMN. Positioning is not nearly that important, most of the time you can have your pet follow you and be fine. I don't have an image of my hotbars on either job, but my idea behind arranging it is that the face button skills are the ones that I use the most, while the Dpad skills are cooldowns since my left thumb is usually on the analog stick.

Ideally you use the pet command "Obey" for your pet, "Sic" when you're being lazy. Heel, Place, and Steady are also somewhat necessary. In total I have 3 hotbars each for SCH and for SMN, with the third hotbar being all the pet commands and some macros. For SCH I have a heal hotbar and a dps hotbar. For SMN it's a mishmash since I don't play SMN that seriously. If you make a setup that works for you, and you use it continuously, you get used to it.

Jacobbles

How active is the community on Ultros, both in general and in the GAF FC?

I'm on Cactuar now, have been since 2.0, but the server seems pretty quiet these days and the majority of people from my FC seem to have moved on. I'm considering a server transfer in the next couple of weeks if I find a convincing enough reason to go through with it.

Resilient

I'm in Australia, so the timezone difference is probably partially to blame for the lack of players whenever I'm on.

Username?? Server? Why have I not met you yet?!

Edit: lol I read your post above. I'm an Ultros native, have been since 2.0 although I took a break after 2.1. I'm also Aussie. The server is filled with different people during the day. However honestly you will struggle to group with GAF members between 6 and 11pm on weeknights. On weekends you can definitely find groups early in the morning until about 4pm. Both in GAF and PF. HOWEVER, static wise you might be screwed. I am still static-less (tbh i haven't tried super hard to make one) and the few Aussies that have been in the FC (Prellis Vilmont, Big Baws, north lane) don't play anymore. So yep that's the current situation. I am still yet to beat Titan Em or Turn 5.

I'm in Australia, so the timezone difference is probably partially to blame for the lack of players whenever I'm on.
Yeah, you probably play once people start logging out lol

The server is quite lively at around 11 PM GMT. Mor Dhona is full, DF is relatively fast, 20 or so parties on PF for high level content, etc.

Challenge Log question:

Completing 3 dungeons via duty roulette.... but there's no way to roulette from JUSt the dungeons. So if I keep getting Ifrit then I'm just wasting time..?

Am I missing something?

Anyway.

If there's any SEA or Australians interested, the FC I'm in is open for players. We are set in Masamune and our Free Company's name is Moonlight Knights. A lot of us are doing the end game content, but we are open to new players, and are a fairly relaxed, not so hardcore bunch.

You can pm me in NeoGAF or through the game itself. My name is Sera Elta.

Playing for the first time last night and I have to say the game is very addictive.
It's just a bunch of fetch and kill enemy x quests, but they are quick ajnd easy enough that you always go "just... one... more"... I have no idea where my night went.
I started playing at 7pm and when I looked at my clock it was 11:30 pm... wth!

Also, getting to level 10 is actually really fast.
So fast that I was thinking about getting all classes to 10 before deciding my favorite one... has anyone done that here? It would take about 5 days tops to do it I guess.

Questions time:

1) Mounts? When am I able to use my mounts? I have the fat chocobo but the game won't let me use it so far.

2) Work? Botanism, Leatherwork, Fishing... When does that open up for me?

3) Money x Equipment? Should I buy stuff at shops or just use what the game gives me and save the money? So far I haven't bought anything mostly because there are so many shops that I don't know what to buy.

4) I'm having a hard time using the in game map. Is there a better way to find quests available in the city (like a list) or I really have to zoom out and look for those? How can I know of I found all quick travel stones (forgot their name)?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
YSQ896c.jpg

So I got this thing in yesterday, and spun it up. Thought some folks might like some impressions.

First off, it's a straight up Japanese import, which for some reason I didn't expect, but was (mostly) pleasantly surprised by. I haven't bought anything CD-based from Japan in a while, hell since my Dreamcast import days, so I was excited to see all the little cards they pack into it as well as the spine card. Love that shit for some reason!

The downside to this is that 99% of everything in the extensive booklet inside is unreadable to me. This includes the liner notes and track listing. There are some English lyrics to some songs, though, but that's it. The artwork in the booklet is top notch, though!

As for the disc itself, I used my Oppo blu-ray player to play it. It has killer graphics and artwork, a lot of which is animated, during the songs and on the menus. Speaking of menus, they are in English, and are really cool I must say. The songs are divided by theme/region, so you can, for instance, pick "Thanalan" from the menu and hear music from that area. There's also "Battle" and others. The music itself sounds amazing. It's all 96khz/24-bit mastered (2.0 PCM). There's 408 minutes of it, so you get your money's worth!

One of the menu options is to download the mp3's. I assume that works on PS4 but didn't try it, and I'm guessing works on PCs, but what I did was instead just browse the blu-ray disc itself on my PC and get the mp3's that way. They're in their own directory, and are in 5 or 6 .zip files. Tons of tracks, needless to say, all of which are 320kbps files with full id tag info, including album art. The track titles are all "English/Japanese" so that's awesome, but the composer(s) are only in Japanese from what I saw, but then there's really only one for the most part.

In the end, it's an expensive disc at $50, but I love the soundtrack so much that I had to purchase it, and I'm glad I did! Not only do you get the uber high quality blu-ray audio, but you also get high quality mp3's to boot, plus the animated art during play... it all adds up to a good buy, imo.

Number45

So fast that I was thinking about getting all classes to 10 before deciding my favorite one... has anyone done that here? It would take about 5 days tops to do it I guess.
Go for it by all means, but you won't have even close to an understanding of any of the classes by level 10.

Keep up with the main scenario and you'll unlock it at around level 20.

Work? Botanism, Leatherwork, Fishing... When does that open up for me?
As soon as you're told you can try another job, which is after one of the class quests? Level 10 maybe.

Money x Equipment?
It won't do any harm buying gear, but personally I've been getting by just fine with quest rewards and dungeon loot.

I'm having a hard time using the in game map. Is there a better way to find quests available in the city (like a list) or I really have to zoom out and look for those? How can I know of I found all quick travel stones (forgot their name)?
The map isn't great. You can pull up a list of recommendations (pops up when you login by default) from the (I think) duty menu.

You'll know you have all of the aetherytes within a city because it will tell you, and unlock a couple of other destinations (usually the main exit points from the city).

Hasney

So I got this thing in yesterday, and spun it up. Thought some folks might like some impressions.

First off, it's a straight up Japanese import, which for some reason I didn't expect, but was (mostly) pleasantly surprised by. I haven't bought anything CD-based from Japan in a while, hell since my Dreamcast import days, so I was excited to see all the little cards they pack into it as well as the spine card. Love that shit for some reason!

The downside to this is that 99% of everything in the extensive booklet inside is unreadable to me. This includes the liner notes and track listing. There are some English lyrics to some songs, though, but that's it. The artwork in the booklet is top notch, though!

As for the disc itself, I used my Oppo blu-ray player to play it. It has killer graphics and artwork, a lot of which is animated, during the songs and on the menus. Speaking of menus, they are in English, and are really cool I must say. The songs are divided by theme/region, so you can, for instance, pick "Thanalan" from the menu and hear music from that area. There's also "Battle" and others. The music itself sounds amazing. It's all 96khz/24-bit mastered (2.0 PCM). There's 408 minutes of it, so you get your money's worth!

One of the menu options is to download the mp3's. I assume that works on PS4 but didn't try it, and I'm guessing works on PCs, but what I did was instead just browse the blu-ray disc itself on my PC and get the mp3's that way. They're in their own directory, and are in 5 or 6 .zip files. Tons of tracks, needless to say, all of which are 320kbps files with full id tag info, including album art. The track titles are all "English/Japanese" so that's awesome, but the composer(s) are only in Japanese from what I saw, but then there's really only one for the most part.

In the end, it's an expensive disc at $50, but I love the soundtrack so much that I had to purchase it, and I'm glad I did! Not only do you get the uber high quality blu-ray audio, but you also get high quality mp3's to boot, plus the animated art during play... it all adds up to a good buy, imo.

I may have to get this. The CD in the collectors edition is too short and almost like a demo disc for this.

I've decided to give the ACN class another try, but I think my Pet Cross Bar is glitched or something? The instructions said to use R1 to go to it, but R1 just cycles through my different sets, and never touches the Pet Bar??? How are people controlling their pets - do you guys just set certain commands to your normal hot bars, because the Pet Cross Bar literally does nothing.

IMBored

Playing for the first time last night and I have to say the game is very addictive.
It's just a bunch of fetch and kill enemy x quests, but they are quick ajnd easy enough that you always go "just... one... more"... I have no idea where my night went.

Questions time:

1) Mounts? When am I able to use my mounts? I have the fat chocobo but the game won't let me use it so far.

3) Money x Equipment? Should I buy stuff at shops or just use what the game gives me and save the money? So far I haven't bought anything mostly because there are so many shops that I don't know what to buy.

4) I'm having a hard time using the in game map. Is there a better way to find quests available in the city (like a list) or I really have to zoom out and look for those? How can I know of I found all quick travel stones (forgot their name)?

1- After the story quest at level 20 you'll join a grand company, from there you can buy a chocobo.

2- After the class specific level 10 quest you're able to change to every class, including crafting classes.

3-Save your money, the equipment is good enough at low level.

4-After a point you'll unlock recommendations, which will give you a list of quest at your level range in the area.

Jacobbles

Questions time:

1) You can get your first mount at level 20, IIRC. As soon as you join a Grand Company (this is part of the main story quest), you can earn Company Seals which you use to buy a Chocobo. I think this'll allow you to use any other mounts you have too.

2) IIRC, you can change classes at Lv. 15, I could be way off on this though. It's been a while.

3) Save the money, you'll be getting decent enough gear through quests for the most part.

4) Somewhere in the main menu there's a "Recommendations" list, which list all the quests and stuff available in the area you're currently in.

Taruranto

Interested to see if adjustments to Materia mean spreading it out across more significant and meaningful equipment options for battle jobs at cap (ie; not the useless crafted gear) but I shouldn't get my hopes up.

Kind of disheartened to see that they're still tossing away resources on PvP. This game and it's development staff are so very unsuited to it. It's currently a ghost town and all of the system design and art being pumped into it is just going to waste. Maybe they can pull out a niche when they go with their objective based thing but I just don't see it, personally.

Remember when Yoshi was laughing at ballista?

WHO IS LAUGHING NOW YOSHI

Shield Oath/Defiance and enmity combos are broken as hell in this game. It's not like XI, where you had to use trick attack/etc or simply getting attacked by an enemy made you lose hate. Enmity is given to tanks very easily to the point it's almost impossible to lose hate at high levels.

Go for it by all means, but you won't have even close to an understanding of any of the classes by level 10.

The map isn't great. You can pull up a list of recommendations (pops up when you login by default) from the (I think) duty menu.

You'll know you have all of the aetherytes within a city because it will tell you, and unlock a couple of other destinations (usually the main exit points from the city).

Thank you so much.

1- After the story quest at level 20 you'll join a grand company, from there you can buy a chocobo.

2- After the class specific level 10 quest you're able to change to every class, including crafting classes.

3-Save your money, the equipment is good enough at low level.

4-After a point you'll unlock recommendations, which will give you a list of quest at your level range in the area.

1) You can get your first mount at level 20, IIRC. As soon as you join a Grand Company (this is part of the main story quest), you can earn Company Seals which you use to buy a Chocobo. I think this'll allow you to use any other mounts you have too.

2) IIRC, you can change classes at Lv. 15, I could be way off on this though. It's been a while.

3) Save the money, you'll be getting decent enough gear through quests for the most part.

4) Somewhere in the main menu there's a "Recommendations" list, which list all the quests and stuff available in the area you're currently in.

I love NeoGAF so much.

Thanks guys. Hope to eventually join the FC.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
So much to do, so little time.
Dailies, challenge log, levelling up other classes, more dailies, lv50 coming up on the first class, MORE DAILIES

Dunan

Dramatis, that's a great list! Which reminds me... how does treasure hunting work? I did a quest that made it available, but then moved on to other stuff and sort of forgot what I was supposed to do. How would I get into it? I wouldn't even know where to start now.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I forgot Materia were in this game... just like the airships...

yeah... I'm not saying I don't like to be able to TP wherever I want at will for next to no cost. But it makes airships pointless. At least in WoW only one class could TP at will forcing everyone else to use zeppelins/tram/boats/etc.

IMBored

Dramatis, that's a great list! Which reminds me... how does treasure hunting work? I did a quest that made it available, but then moved on to other stuff and sort of forgot what I was supposed to do. How would I get into it? I wouldn't even know where to start now.

You have to get maps from gathering in 40 plus nodes.

How is the FC on Ultros? Back during the first months of PC sub (T'aria Kawaii says hi) it was a great community. I hope there is still room...

I think there's still room but it's filing up fast from what I hear. The people are great, they help me a bunch of times and are always up for some runs.

dramatis

To do a treasure hunt, you first have to obtain a map. These maps are gathered by botanists, miners, and fishers at around level 36 and above. If you don't want to level a gathering class, then it's possible to buy these maps on the marketboard from players who put them up for sale (they're pretty expensive though).

Solo maps range from:
Timeworn Leather Map (lvl 40)
Timeworn Goatskin Map (lvl 45)
Timeworn Toadskin Map (lvl 50?)
Timeworn Boarskin Map (lvl 50)

Party maps are Timeworn Peisteskin Map (lvl 50).

The maps themselves aren't actually very difficult. The peisteskin for instance recommends a party of 8 but it's probably doable by a party of 4. The main reason why people do peisteskins in 8-mans is because of the gil reward, which is a flat sum earned by each player rather than a single sum divided according to number of players.

Depending on the type of map, the rewards can be somewhat different too. For instance, the Bluebird minion only drops from peisteskins, the Tonberry minion only from boarskins. They come with other crafting material loots at times as well.

Once you have a map, use the Decipher command found in the Actions & Traits menu, and it will change into a key item that has a small piece of map showing you where the treasure is, along with the zone. When you think you have found the location out wandering in the field, use the Dig command to hopefully unearth it.

After that...well.

Dunan

You have to get maps from gathering in 40 plus nodes.

To do a treasure hunt, you first have to obtain a map. These maps are gathered by botanists, miners, and fishers at around level 36 and above. If you don't want to level a gathering class, then it's possible to buy these maps on the marketboard from players who put them up for sale (they're pretty expensive though).

Ah, now all is explained. None of my gathering classes are anywhere near that high. I'll keep this in mind when I finally get around to raising gathering levels.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah, I've not really done any materia in this game.

Finally got around to putting in a piece yesterday for myself (and not a mission to turn in). And...."my item isn't good enough to handle it, so your stat is +0!"

Is there a hidden line that I missed? The materia says it's "level 30", and the item I put it in was a level 33 head piece, and I used the proper melding material. Did I miss something?

Alucrid

Banned

Solo maps range from:
Timeworn Leather Map (lvl 40)
Timeworn Goatskin Map (lvl 45)
Timeworn Toadskin Map (lvl 50?)
Timeworn Boarskin Map (lvl 50)

Party maps are Timeworn Peisteskin Map (lvl 50).

The maps themselves aren't actually very difficult. The peisteskin for instance recommends a party of 8 but it's probably doable by a party of 4. The main reason why people do peisteskins in 8-mans is because of the gil reward, which is a flat sum earned by each player rather than a single sum divided according to number of players.

Depending on the type of map, the rewards can be somewhat different too. For instance, the Bluebird minion only drops from peisteskins, the Tonberry minion only from boarskins. They come with other crafting material loots at times as well.

Once you have a map, use the Decipher command found in the Actions & Traits menu, and it will change into a key item that has a small piece of map showing you where the treasure is, along with the zone. When you think you have found the location out wandering in the field, use the Dig command to hopefully unearth it.

After that...well.

it's doable by way less than 4. you can probably solo some depending on what you get

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom