• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

laoni

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...oducer-LVI-(04-23-2014)?p=2054173#post2054173

But we’d be remiss to limit our events to Japan when we have so many wonderful and devoted fans across the globe. Two days after Niconico Choukaigi 3, I'll be embarking on our first ever Oceania media tour, taking a trip to meet players in Australia. I'll also be making an appearance at this year's Japan Expo in Paris, France and Gamescom in Cologne, Germany. We have exciting plans for another big fan event in the works as well, so keep an eye out for future updates!

TELL ME WHERE YOSHI!

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I have to admit that I am glad they removed the next step of relic progression from this patch.
They also stated something about incorporating user feedback regarding the difficulty of Atma/Animus.

Wilsongt

Also, fuck not having Animus yet, I don't even have all of my atma yet. I'm still sitting on 5/12 because I've been too damn busy obtaining sol, getting my whm decked out, doing dailies, and running coil 1 - 5 with my FC. Ain't no body got time to grind fates when an atma won't drop for nearly 8 hours.

Fix that first, YoshiP. I'd rather do an extremely looooooong series of quest where it is guaranteed I will obtain an atma at the end of the work, instead of hoping and praying that the RNGesus will shine it's heavenly light on me, instead of someone who pops in for a single fate, gets their atma, and pops out.

I have to admit that I am glad they removed the next step of relic progression from this patch.
They also stated something about incorporating user feedback regarding the difficulty of Atma/Animus.
Yep. Better make it easier before adding the next weapon so people can actually get their shit.

Remember when Yoshi was laughing at ballista?

WHO IS LAUGHING NOW YOSHI

Shield Oath/Defiance and enmity combos are broken as hell in this game. It's not like XI, where you had to use trick attack/etc or simply getting attacked by an enemy made you lose hate. Enmity is given to tanks very easily to the point it's almost impossible to lose hate at high levels.

God I miss that stuff. I was a PLD in XI too and it was so much harder, and as such, so much more fun. A lot more coordination with teammates and any fight could be a wipe, nevermind bosses, if the team wasn't great.

Soi-Fong

Our FC really needs a tank that marks and actually knows how to tank. Have died way too many times with random tanks not using flash whatsoever.. *_*

Our FC really needs a tank that marks and actually knows how to tank. Have died way too many times with random tanks not using flash whatsoever.. *_*

To be honest I think DPS should mark. In XI a DPS (or DD) always pulled and the tank took over. It was very efficient. Should be the same in XIV but for some reason it isn't. The tank already has enough to do for a new pull. DPS don't have as much worries.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

lol.. I was running umm copperbell I think with a tank who marked like every boss and a bunch of trash encounters. I was like "whoa... dude is thorough". clearly a pro as it didn't slow down the run in the slightest.

Lucis

To be honest I think DPS should mark. In XI a DPS (or DD) always pulled and the tank took over. It was very efficient. Should be the same in XIV but for some reason it isn't. The tank already has enough to do for a new pull. DPS don't have as much worries.

lol what
you gotta be kidding me, stop bringing xi, this ain't xi, tank doesn't have "too much" to do

macro a 1 to a key and just press that

lol.. I was running umm copperbell I think with a tank who marked like every boss and a bunch of trash encounters. I was like "whoa... dude is thorough". clearly a pro as it didn't slow down the run in the slightest.

i think he just didn't trust you guys, or had no confident in his own agro holding

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

I mark often, but I've been playing DPS (Bard) alot recently, and...yeah, the PUG tanks I've come across are way worse than I am, and I'm always paranoid when I'm playing tank lol

The concept of "pulling" that was in XI doesn't exist in XIV in the same way. That being said, marking is for chumps anyway.

Zalasta

Yeah, I've not really done any materia in this game.

Finally got around to putting in a piece yesterday for myself (and not a mission to turn in). And...."my item isn't good enough to handle it, so your stat is +0!"

Is there a hidden line that I missed? The materia says it's "level 30", and the item I put it in was a level 33 head piece, and I used the proper melding material. Did I miss something?

That's because gears have an affinity towards specific stats, which is often affected by the stats that are already on it. So for example a piece of gear for caster that already has INT and MND will most likely take additional materias for those stats than say STR (not that you would want STR but you get the idea). Or a miner's boot that has only perception on it will let you meld up to +3 perception but +1 for gathering.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
!! It took me almost a week, but I finally cleared Titan EX with a random group.

I totally didn't fall from the platform in the middle of the fight.

Totally.

It's the cleared quest that matters, right? Right...?!

lol what
you gotta be kidding me, stop bringing xi, this ain't xi, tank doesn't have "too much" to do

macro a 1 to a key and just press that

i think he just didn't trust you guys, or had no confident in his own agro holding

I didn't say too much, I said enough. Tank has to make sure he has hate on all pulls, DPS just has to attack.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
That's because gears have an affinity towards specific stats, which is often affected by the stats that are already on it. So for example a piece of gear for caster that already has INT and MND will most likely take additional materias for those stats than say STR (not that you would want STR but you get the idea). Or a miner's boot that has only perception on it will let you meld up to +3 perception but +1 for gathering.

Ah, so if an item already has, say, +4 DEX, adding more DEX might not work, there's a "limit" to the max level of a particular stat?

How is the FC on Ultros? Back during the first months of PC sub (T'aria Kawaii says hi) it was a great community. I hope there is still room...

As a noob, it's great. People have been super helpful and I can almost always say, "I need help with X story, can anyone help?" and within 5 minutes I'll get a full party.

Everyone has been very kind and patient.

IMBored

!! It took me almost a week, but I finally cleared Titan EX with a random group.

I totally didn't fall from the platform in the middle of the fight.

Totally.

It's the cleared quest that matters, right? Right...?!

That totally didn't happened to me also. In fact I was so good that I spent most of the time just listening to the rock music.
This on normal Titan :)

Number45

Took me a while to get into the swing of marking (have them mapped to the extended cross hotbars now, so they're nice and easy to get to), but now I mark everything. Still amazed nobody has had a go at me for doing it. :)

Of course, there's still a good number of people that don't understand what those massive numbers mean (and probably won't ask).

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
How is the FC on Ultros? Back during the first months of PC sub (T'aria Kawaii says hi) it was a great community. I hope there is still room...

It's gone down hill big time. Merely a hive of scum and villainy these days.

Requiem

So should I just rush through the main story?

I've been doing them super slowly but I feel like I am wasting my time doing that

Side note: As my first MMO, man this game is super fun. Quenches my FF thirst and RPG thirst. I already feel like I spend way to much time in the game lol

Zalasta

Ah, so if an item already has, say, +4 DEX, adding more DEX might not work, there's a "limit" to the max level of a particular stat?

There is a cap on how much each stat a piece of gear can have. So you may be able to meld up to +5 DEX to boots but only +1 DEX for gloves, or only +2 Determination to that same pair of boots.

Number45

So should I just rush through the main story?
It depends. If you plan on levelling multiple battle jobs leaving non-story quests untouched makes sense because it'll make it easier to level them.

Aside from some utility quests I've *only* done the main scenario quests on my character. Honestly not looking forward to levelling other jobs. :(

With that in mind, do optional quests lead to any interesting storylines or are they relatively isolated?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
It depends. If you plan on levelling multiple battle jobs leaving non-story quests untouched makes sense because it'll make it easier to level them.

Aside from some utility quests I've *only* done the main scenario quests on my character. Honestly not looking forward to levelling other jobs. :(

With that in mind, do optional quests lead to any interesting storylines or are they relatively isolated?

They kinda sorta supplement the story of the particular area they're given in, but usually don't have anything to do with the main plot.
It's mostly fetch.

MechaX

Relic upgrade delayed until May... oh man. Good thing I didn't rush it get my Animus I guess.

This is coming from Mrs. Tidal Wave Bow.

Personally, it gives me enough time to get the Animus and for it to be kinda useful, given how the Rosenbogen has Skill Speed + No Accuracy, and I'm not holding out for a Mirrow any time soon.

Number45

They kinda sorta supplement the story of the particular area they're given in, but usually don't have anything to do with the main plot.
It's mostly fetch.
That may be OK then. I loved the way WoW contained various thread of semi-connected stories through its zones. :)

creid

Yeah, I've not really done any materia in this game.

Finally got around to putting in a piece yesterday for myself (and not a mission to turn in). And...."my item isn't good enough to handle it, so your stat is +0!"

Is there a hidden line that I missed? The materia says it's "level 30", and the item I put it in was a level 33 head piece, and I used the proper melding material. Did I miss something?
There are stat caps when it comes to adding materia, I'm not confident in the particulars and I can't pull up a link right now, but searching google for "ffxiv materia cap explanation" should be a good start.

Lucis

Pressing flash then trying to get enmity on each monster because both DPS are attacking different monsters.

tank enmity generation is so high in this game it's not even funny, unless the mob has slash resistance and dps popped all cd, it's impossible to pull away from tank, for normal trash mob just rotate hate, it's pretty damn easy in this game.

as a tank i have to say i have probably the easiest job in this game compared to all other classes.

Item Box

Pressing flash then trying to get enmity on each monster because both DPS are attacking different monsters.
i just usually tell the party before starting: "your pull, your problem"

it usually works... most of the time

you could always split your emnity combo amongst the group (fast blade least important mob, savage blade second important, rage of halone highest priority with a flash before and after)

i just usually tell the party before starting: "your pull, your problem"

it usually works... most of the time

you could always split your emnity combo amongst the group (fast blade least important mob, savage blade second important, rage of halone highest priority with a flash before and after)

I've started doing that recently. If I'm halfway through a mob and I notice I've lost hate on another because a DPS is attacking it, I'll leave the first monster and move to the other. While fighting the second I'll hit the first one again with the occasional savage blade. (and obviously flash) to keep enmity off the DPS that was attacking the right monster.

xPhinehas

So I just started this game last night on PS4. Haven't played an MMO in a while but so far I really like it. Any tips for a noob? I'm starting as a Lancer.

njean777

Been enjoying the game so far. I tried to play it on ps3 but I just decided to wait till the ps4 version. I am level 21 right now and was just wondering when I will be able to get my mount? Is it during the story missions?

I mark in lower level dungeons if I'm on a paladin because of not being able to generate aggro effectively, but on level 50 dungeons, no. Reason being, if I can't hold tank on all the mobs, then I'm not good and the other reason is that I just don't care to mark.

If you aren't holding aggro very well, you want to check your gear as well as rotation/skill usage since weapon damage/str also affects aggro generation. So if you're in a dungeon and a dps has a weapon with higher weapon dmg than you, he will most likely peel off of you

shwimpy

Been enjoying the game so far. I tried to play it on ps3 but I just decided to wait till the ps4 version. I am level 21 right now and was just wondering when I will be able to get my mount? Is it during the story missions?
Yes. Keep doing the main story mission.

Tomat

Tanks that don't mark don't get commendations.

I always give commendations to bad DPS players anyway

Tanks that don't mark don't get commendations.

I always give commendations to bad DPS players anyway

I mark by default in high level dungeons, but I usually don't in low level dungeons unless asked (I can usually hold AOE hate). Am I a baddie?

Tomat

I mark by default in high level dungeons, but I usually don't in low level dungeons unless asked (I can usually hold AOE hate). Am I a baddie?

Absolutely, you're awful.

Really though, I've gotten used to mashing they T key to switch back and forth between the tank and whatever they're focusing on at the time. It's not a huge deal if a tank doesn't mark, but it is great when they do.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

I'm not playing DPS (yet), but is there a quick controller combo to target your target's target?

For commendations I pick the username that I find most amusing.

as a healer I always commend the tank. unless they leave or fucking suck. in which case I commend a coin flip. unless I know for a fact one or both DPS sucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom