• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ref

Alright, finally got some time to put into this game, started a character on Ultros and applied to the GAF guild.

So, I have a question. I'm really undecided on what I want to be end game, I'm guessing either healer or tank since that's always what I rolled in WoW end game, but who knows, maybe DPS if it hooks me.

Anyways, my question is how does getting gear for your alternate class work. Let's just say for an example, I hit 50 with one job, all the gear from quests/rewards etc has been for that class. I'm now starting to level another job and there's no quests left, so I'm stuck farming fates/hunting logs whatever, how do I get better gear for my alternate class? Vendors?

I'm a min max kinda guy, so I'm sort of skeptical of how people say it's completely viable to play what you want end game. Is it really though? I'm aware you can reset attribute points, so that's nice, but my question is, is it easy enough to obtain gear for alternate classes and if I wanted to at any time, switch and make that my new main for end game?

Alright, finally got some time to put into this game, started a character on Ultros and applied to the GAF guild.

So, I have a question. I'm really undecided on what I want to be end game, I'm guessing either healer or tank since that's always what I rolled in WoW end game, but who knows, maybe DPS if it hooks me.

Anyways, my question is how does getting gear for your alternate class work. Let's just say for an example, I hit 50 with one job, all the gear from quests/rewards etc has been for that class. I'm now starting to level another job and there's no quests left, so I'm stuck farming fates/hunting logs whatever, how do I get better gear for my alternate class? Vendors?

I'm a min max kinda guy, so I'm sort of skeptical of how people say it's completely viable to play what you want end game. Is it really though? I'm aware you can reset attribute points, so that's nice, but my question is, is it easy enough to obtain gear for alternate classes and if I wanted to at any time, switch and make that my new main for end game.
Yes. Endgame gear is based on dungeon drops. You can for example, do a high level instance with a different class than what you want to gear up - though it'll be harder if someone who has the job you're trying to level needs that piece - or you can just farm up Myth tomestones from dungeon runs and grab high level equipment for any class you want.

It's a lot harder to get the highest level gear for a class that isn't the one you're running, but you can easily use a high level job to bring others up to the point where you can just do said content with said job.

Wilsongt

I'm not playing DPS (yet), but is there a quick controller combo to target your target's target?

as a healer I always commend the tank. unless they leave or fucking suck. in which case I commend a coin flip. unless I know for a fact one or both DPS sucked.

Commendations typical go to fellow DPS or the healer. Tank gets enough goodies in the way of new mounts. :[

Commendations typical go to fellow DPS or the healer. Tank gets enough goodies in the way of new mounts. :[

As a healer, I don't expect commendations unless I absolutely killed it and everything broke down.

That said, I give me commendations based on performance I see during the dungeon. If the tank is constantly running around, not holding hate, not communicating and making my job difficult, no commendation.

If I notice a DPS that is not pulling anything, not taking a lot of damage, pulling adds off of me if needed, that person goes to the top of my list quickly.

Mupod

I mark by default in high level dungeons, but I usually don't in low level dungeons unless asked (I can usually hold AOE hate). Am I a baddie?

I do the opposite actually. Marks can be useful in high level dungeons if you're massively undergeared, but nowadays I can have i95 or higher dps each on different targets and have no trouble with aggro.

low level dungeons before you get defiance/shield oath or the third hit of your combo, split DPS can be a problem. But nobody can count and ignores my marks anyways, so I tend to just hit the thing that has HP going down the fastest. If I lose aggro on anything I stun the mob. Hell, on PLD just stun everything all the time.

I apologize if this is a dumb question, but if I buy a physical copy of FFXIV for PS4, will I always need the disc to play? I have no problem downloading off of PSN, but I might consider the physical CE should the disc not be required.

I apologize if this is a dumb question, but if I buy a physical copy of FFXIV for PS4, will I always need the disc to play? I have no problem downloading off of PSN, but I might consider the physical CE should the disc not be required.

Disc is not required to play at all. I actually downloaded the PS4 phase 2 beta, bought the physical CE edition and simply used the code from the game and never even had to place the disc into my PS4 to play the game.

Thank you so much!

HOLD UP!!! I just looked up other people's experiences after answering your question and it seems like other people who have installed from disc have to play from the disc. I never installed from the disc since I already had the beta client. Not sure if you ever downloaded the beta client but something to keep in mind.

Edit: I also did get the early access code to the game so not sure if that contributes to my ability to play without a disc. Sorry to get you all excited.

Gaz_RB

As a healer, I don't expect commendations unless I absolutely killed it and everything broke down.

That said, I give me commendations based on performance I see during the dungeon. If the tank is constantly running around, not holding hate, not communicating and making my job difficult, no commendation.

If I notice a DPS that is not pulling anything, not taking a lot of damage, pulling adds off of me if needed, that person goes to the top of my list quickly.

Yup. Everytime I've thrown Sleep on a mob attacking the healer that the tank lost hate on and doesn't try to get back, I pretty much always get a commendation.

If someone is new and messes up on a boss, but then get it and improve next time when I explain it to them, I usually give them a commendation as some positive reinforcment.

When I'm a tank, I usually give them commendations to DPS based on how much damage I see them dealing/how they're managing their hate. I give them to healers if I mess up and he pulls through and shows some actual healing skill other than casting cure.

Personal note:
Octodad is hilarious and worthy of your PSN name

HOLD UP!!! I just looked up other people's experiences after answering your question and it seems like other people who have installed from disc have to play from the disc. I never installed from the disc since I already had the beta client. Not sure if you ever downloaded the beta client but something to keep in mind.

Edit: I also did get the early access code to the game so not sure if that contributes to my ability to play without a disc. Sorry to get you all excited.
*car screech* Hmm. I never downloaded the client. I have to look a bit further into this. Thanks though!

Frumix

Suffering From Success
The thing with healers and commendations is that the job of a healer is much like that of a translator. You know they're doing it right when you don't notice they're there.

Any advice on the quickest way to get my THM from 15 to Swifcast so I can go back to healing?

FATE parties while queued for Low Level Duty Roulette and Guildhest Roulette.

There's always a number of Atma grinders in every zone now, just join up with them and follow them around while they kill all the FATEs. Remember to attack at least one mob for credit!

aceface

Oh that's right. Fate parties in aleport are great for 15-20. Used to do Qarrymill starting at 20 but I hear no one does fates there anymore?

Requiem

Is this game good at teaching you the different roles? So far I've only been DPS (THM, LNC, PUG) but I'd like to dabble in tanking

Gaz_RB

Is this game good at teaching you the different roles? So far I've only been DPS (THM, LNC, PUG) but I'd like to dabble in tanking

Not really. The class quests kind of do I guess. But learning to tank will likely be a trial by fire as DF randoms yell at you in dungeons. But it's not hard to learn, you just need to jump in and get some experience. And remember that your whole job is to make sure everyone is attacking you.

Requiem

Not really. The class quests kind of do I guess. But learning to tank will likely be a trial by fire as DF randoms yell at you in dungeons. But it's not hard to learn, you just need to jump in and get some experience. And remember that your whole job is to make sure everyone is attacking you.

Thanks.

So are there special moves/attacks that cause enemies to attack you?

WolvenOne

Thanks.

So are there special moves/attacks that cause enemies to attack you?

Later in the game you get am additional enmity generating aoe attack, but, for the most part you'll be using Overpower, Flash, Provoke, and each classes respective enmity rotation.

Fair warning though, Provoke is an absolutely essential endgame skill, and if you're a Warrior, you'll have to level Gladiator to, into the 20s I think, in order to get it.

This is probably the most bewildering design decisions I've encountered so far.

Amir0x

Banned
Is it preferable to wait til you hit the lvl cap with your main job before you start leveling up another, or are there better benefits to starting earlier (like I want to make a Bard, should I start as soon as I hit 15 Pugilist and 30 Archer, or just wait til I lvl Pugilist and Archer to 50 before going to Bard?)

Also, where do I get Elm Logs at? The Carpentry equip store in the main forest city only has Ash and Maple logs.

Interfectum

Is it preferable to wait til you hit the lvl cap with your main job before you start leveling up another, or are there better benefits to starting earlier (like I want to make a Bard, should I start as soon as I hit 15 Pugilist and 30 Archer, or just wait til I lvl Pugilist and Archer to 50 before going to Bard?)

Also, where do I get Elm Logs at? The Carpentry equip store in the main forest city only has Ash and Maple logs.

Hit 30 Archer, then 15 Pugilist, do the 30 Archer class quest then take your Bard (aka Archer) to 50.

Jobs are not separate, they're just an equipment slot that grants you stats bonuses and new abilities.

A level 30 Bard is a level 30 Archer with the Soul of the Bard equipped.
A level 47 Bard is a level 47 Archer with the Soul of the Bard equipped.

And so on.

Amir0x

Banned
Jobs are not separate, they're just an equipment slot that grants you stats bonuses and new abilities.

A level 30 Bard is a level 30 Archer.

then why does it say I need to lvl up Pugilist to 15 before I can be a Bard? So I don't have to lvl up a Bard from 1? I thought I had this system down I guess not. I've been reading guides I swear!

then why does it say I need to lvl up Pugilist to 15 before I can be a Bard? So I don't have to lvl up a Bard from 1? I thought I had this system down I guess not. I've been reading guides I swear!

Some jobs require a separate sub class to be leveled to a minimum before the job can be unlocked, then it's just dependent on the main class, in this case, an archer.

Interfectum

After the Archer class quest (which is unlocked when you get a 30 Archer and 15 Pugilist) you are tasked with doing something which rewards you with a "gem." When you equip that gem your class name changes from Archer to Bard but you are still basically an Archer with extra perks and skills.

Amir0x

Banned
After the Archer class quest (which is unlocked when you get a 30 Archer and 15 Pugilist) you are tasked with doing something which rewards you with a "gem." When you equip that gem your class name changes from Archer to Bard but you are still basically an Archer with extra perks and skills.

Thank you! So I guess I'll lvl up to 30, then lvl Pugilist to 15, then become a Bard immediately.

I really dig this job system, allows you to experiment more within a single character than most other MMO's I've tried.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Thank you! So I guess I'll lvl up to 30, then lvl Pugilist to 15, then become a Bard immediately.

I really dig this job system, allows you to experiment more within a single character than most other MMO's I've tried.

Yep, at that point, you talk to a guy near Quarrymill in South Shroud. But you have to finish the level 30 Archer quest in Gridinia.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm considering coming back to this game once I'm done with this semester of school, but I have a few questions:

-Is the GAF guild still active?

-Does Arcanist ever get any more fun? I stopped playing around level 24 or so, and my time as a Gladiator in beta was much more enjoyable. Summoner still seems like a cool class, though.

-Is "catching up" to end game players an issue, or is it more like modern day WoW where you can do so reasonably quickly?

Ken

I'm considering coming back to this game once I'm done with this semester of school, but I have a few questions:

-Is the GAF guild still active?

-Does Arcanist ever get any more fun? I stopped playing around level 24 or so, and my time as a Gladiator in beta was much more enjoyable. Summoner still seems like a cool class, though.

-Is "catching up" to end game players an issue, or is it more like modern day WoW where you can do so reasonably quickly?

GAF is active.

SMN and SCH are fantastic classes.

You can catch up pretty quickly in this game.

Requiem

Yup that's what I like the most. Instead of having 5 different characters, I can just change my main weapon

So for you tankers out there, which class do you prefer?

WolvenOne

BTW, been thinking lately that in addition to Daily Roulette, it'd be nice if they implemented a Daily Challenge system. Which basically consisted of assigning every player say, 1 of 4 random challenges, that'd routinely consist of doing certain dungeons in a time trial mode, or completing Trials with certain status effects in place on the entire party during the entire fight, or things like that.

Poison or something, not heavy! Can you imagine trying to do even Ifrit HM if the entire party suffered from Heavy during the entire fight? XD

Basically, just another way of getting a lot of Myth/Soldiery in a single go. Also, since you'd have to go with people that were issued to same challenge, would force players to routinely go out of their comfort zone and run with people they may not be used to playing with.

Just a thought.

Edit: Actually, might just be simpler to use a sort of, Anti-Echo debuff, that reduced your stats to say, the equivalent of ilvl60, or something. Basically force people to tackle the HM level trials the same way they did back when they weren't hecka overgeared.

Buttons

New blog post is finally up. :D

ffxiv_23042014_222346k1p3c.jpg

ffxiv_23042014_222354biqwz.jpg

ffxiv_23042014_222416fapbr.jpg

ffxiv_23042014_222523j8qv8.jpg

http://buttons-tarutaru.blogspot.de/2014/04/minions-galore.html

Gaz_RB

Yup that's what I like the most. Instead of having 5 different characters, I can just change my main weapon

So for you tankers out there, which class do you prefer?

I started with gladiator planning to go into Paladin, but I got to 25 and wanted to try out Marauder which I have since turned into a warrior.

I find marauder more fun if not a little more difficult than gladiator. I've heard paladin is sort of boring compared to warrior, so on my limited experience, I'd suggest marauder/warrior.

WolvenOne

I started with gladiator planning to go into Paladin, but I got to 25 and wanted to try out Marauder which I have since turned into a warrior.

I find marauder more fun if not a little more difficult than gladiator. I've heard paladin is sort of boring compared to warrior, so on my limited experience, I'd suggest marauder/warrior.

PLD have more panic options so to speak, you can practically faceroll your keyboard and still have a few defensive CD's left to use. Granted, not all those CD's are terribly effective, but neither are all of WAR's.

WAR is more fun because it has more attack rotations, and you have to keep using them to get access to your best skills. Your panic options are fewer, and some of the WAR mechanics could be better designed. (Holmgang, I'm looking at you!) However I play both and I don't find WAR a particularly difficult class to play anymore.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I switched over to pugilist to keep going on archer quests, could anyone help me with the way the skills have positional bonuses? It seems like the first two have bonuses from the rear, and the third has a bonus from the side. But do people really constantly circle-strafe enemies to get those bonuses, or is it just as well to attack from front and use positional bonuses when they're apparent? I couldn't tell how big the bonuses were or if they were worth all the spinning in circles, ha.

Ken

However I play both and I don't find WAR a particularly difficult class to play anymore.

As someone who mains WAR I'd hope not.

I switched over to pugilist to keep going on archer quests, could anyone help me with the way the skills have positional bonuses? It seems like the first two have bonuses from the rear, and the third has a bonus from the side. But do people really constantly circle-strafe enemies to get those bonuses, or is it just as well to attack from front and use positional bonuses when they're apparent? I couldn't tell how big the bonuses were or if they were worth all the spinning in circles, ha.

Yes you want to get all your positional bonuses when applicable. The targeting circl under enemies denotes where the flank and rear are.

The material merchant in the housing areas sells it. He also sells a lot of other useful stuff that's insanely expensive at the market for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom