• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeana

I switched over to pugilist to keep going on archer quests, could anyone help me with the way the skills have positional bonuses? It seems like the first two have bonuses from the rear, and the third has a bonus from the side. But do people really constantly circle-strafe enemies to get those bonuses, or is it just as well to attack from front and use positional bonuses when they're apparent? I couldn't tell how big the bonuses were or if they were worth all the spinning in circles, ha.

The bonuses are crucial, so yes, monks are constantly moving around between the rear and the flank. Gotta get into the zone!
If you're solo, though, you won't very often be able to take advantage of that unless the enemy stops to cast a spell.

Thank you! So I guess I'll lvl up to 30, then lvl Pugilist to 15, then become a Bard immediately.

I really dig this job system, allows you to experiment more within a single character than most other MMO's I've tried.

If you wanna play Bard, you should consider leveling a Lancer to lv 34 as well. Cross-class skill Invigorate and Blood for Blood and very important for any physical DPS.

WolvenOne

As someone who mains WAR I'd hope not.

Yes, after something like eight months using the class daily, it would be bad if I wasn't comfortable with the class. XD

My point is that, the class is perfectly competent for every role in the game with sufficient practice. Except stunlocking, which does kinda drive me a lil batty. XD

WolvenOne

I'm almost starting to miss CT

Almost

Really wish they'd give people a little more incentive to run it. Anyone whose had access to it for awhile won't need any equipment anymore, and 100 Myth is insufficient given how long some parties take.

Granted, you can get through CT in a half hour or less, if all three alliances are reasonably competent. If even one isn't however, it'll take fourty five minutes and even an hour. That's way too long for the amount of reward they're giving people.

Noi

Seeing how you can get 100 myth in less than 20 minutes with a competent Bray party, even that's not much of an incentive to do CT right now.

Grinchy

Banned
haha the worst thing is when you accidentally use Sprint right when a fight is starting. I was just doing a level 25 quest and used it when the solo fight started. It was the first time I have ever died in a quest. I had no TP the whole time lol. I need to probably map Sprint to a different button combination than Shield Lob.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
haha the worst thing is when you accidentally use Sprint right when a fight is starting. I was just doing a level 25 quest and used it when the solo fight started. It was the first time I have ever died in a quest. I had no TP the whole time lol. I need to probably map Sprint to a different button combination than Shield Lob.

As a tank, you will rarely ever need sprint unless you are just getting around town.
Probably should throw it onto a separate hotbar next to teleport, return, etc...

Really wish they'd give people a little more incentive to run it. Anyone whose had access to it for awhile won't need any equipment anymore, and 100 Myth is insufficient given how long some parties take.

Granted, you can get through CT in a half hour or less, if all three alliances are reasonably competent. If even one isn't however, it'll take fourty five minutes and even an hour. That's way too long for the amount of reward they're giving people.
I don't think I did a single CT run where one Alliance didn't suck.

But yeah, I wish it gave 200 myth so I could be bothered to do it and get some vanity stuff. It was a bumpy and long raid, but it was fun.

WolvenOne

Seeing how you can get 100 myth in less than 20 minutes with a competent Bray party, even that's not much of an incentive to do CT right now.

Oh, definitely. Even if they could incentivize enough good players into CT to keep it's runs down to thirty minutes, Brayflox speed runs would still be a more effective farming method.

Now, at 150 Myth, yeah it'd be close enough that it'd about be a tossup, assuming a competent group and runs around thirty minutes long. Granted, all that'd really do is to give you another option, when you need a break from Bray speedruns. The only other option I can think of, that's of roughly comparable value, are Prea speed-runs, and only when you get them on roulette at that.

Seeing as you can only do that once a day, that isn't all that much of a change of pace from Brayflox.

Shamdeo

People are going to take the path of least resistance when it comes to farming.

Just like how AK emptied out when WP became more efficient to farm.

You can dangle incentives like more Myth/Sold on Crystal Tower, but whatever's more efficient -- or whatever's perceived to be more efficient will win out.

WolvenOne

I don't think I did a single CT run where one Alliance didn't suck.

But yeah, I wish it gave 200 myth so I could be bothered to do it and get some vanity stuff. It was a bumpy and long raid, but it was fun.

I've lucked out a couple times and gotten into some really good CT speedruns, I've also been in some REALLY bad ones. In 2.1, getting in a bad group wasn't that big a deal, my time wasn't all that valuable.

Now, because of the Trial of the Brave books, I can't risk being stuck in an hour plus long CT run. An hour in CT would be a next loss of at least a hundred Myth Tomes, compared to spending the same time in Brayflox. So the reward either has to be larger, or they need to find a way to make it shorter.

If they were going to do the latter, I'd suggest nerfing Atomos slightly, slowing down the run speed of the skeletons, and slightly reducing the number of adds on Thanos.

Feels, kinda dirty, advocating a CT1 nerf though. :p

Grinchy

Banned
As a tank, you will rarely ever need sprint unless you are just getting around town.
Probably should throw it onto a separate hotbar next to teleport, return, etc...

Oh I do have it on a separate crossbar next to those things. I'm talking about if like I just got off my chocobo and I forgot to switch over to my first crossbar with all my attacks. Since my shield lob and sprint are on the same button combination, boom there goes sprint when I mean to pull something. It's so aggravating and totally my fault.

Encountered my first light party snag in Hankke Manor when our healer disconnected right at the beginning. I thought it would have been best to leave the duty and re-enter, but we managed to get another healer without leaving

I've lucked out a couple times and gotten into some really good CT speedruns, I've also been in some REALLY bad ones. In 2.1, getting in a bad group wasn't that big a deal, my time wasn't all that valuable.

Now, because of the Trial of the Brave books, I can't risk being stuck in an hour plus long CT run. An hour in CT would be a next loss of at least a hundred Myth Tomes, compared to spending the same time in Brayflox. So the reward either has to be larger, or they need to find a way to make it shorter.

If they were going to do the latter, I'd suggest nerfing Atomos slightly, slowing down the run speed of the skeletons, and slightly reducing the number of adds on Thanos.

Feels, kinda dirty, advocating a CT1 nerf though. :p
I just hope CT2 is as fun and infuriating as the first one

Nowhere else in the game I've ever had that much fun getting wiped by stupid shit. Like that one time where two of our DPS went to the wrong Atomos pad by mistake and someone started the fight. Those were the days.

Grinchy

Banned
If any DPS players on Leviathan want to add me to your buddy list for this game, please do (ID: Grinchy). I'm a tank and my brother is a healer so we would always have instant dungeons together. He and I just go into party chat and use our mics but once I buy some batteries for my wireless keyboard I can chat that way too.

BTW, been thinking lately that in addition to Daily Roulette, it'd be nice if they implemented a Daily Challenge system. Which basically consisted of assigning every player say, 1 of 4 random challenges, that'd routinely consist of doing certain dungeons in a time trial mode, or completing Trials with certain status effects in place on the entire party during the entire fight, or things like that.

Reset day duty roulettes already consist of routinely running the dungeon as fast as possible with a party inflicted with some kind of status effect. :V

WolvenOne

I just hope CT2 is as fun and infuriating as the first one

Nowhere else in the game I've ever had that much fun getting wiped by stupid shit. Like that one time where two of our DPS went to the wrong Atomos pad by mistake and someone started the fight. Those were the days.

Well, CT1 was geared for people whom had just fairly recently hit 50, and thus had far less experience overall. If the ilvl requirement for CT2 is higher, it should at least slightly reduce the number of completely helpless players that sign up.

Most alliances can carry one or two less experienced players in CT, its, when an alliance is half or more made up of said inexperienced players that it REALLY begins to show.

Plus, it's supposed to get people ready for Coil 2, presumably. If so, I'd like to see an ilvl requirement that'd be, sufficient, for tackling Coil 1. Which admittedly would probably be around 75-80, after the echo buff is in full swing.

WolvenOne

Reset day duty roulettes already consist of routinely running the dungeon as fast as possible with a party inflicted with some kind of status effect. :V

Wait, what status effect? Being hecka tired? If you mean lag, even on reset day I rarely experience lag inside the dungeons anymore.

SRTtoZ

Thank you! So I guess I'll lvl up to 30, then lvl Pugilist to 15, then become a Bard immediately.

I really dig this job system, allows you to experiment more within a single character than most other MMO's I've tried.

Yep, then from there on out you will be a Bard starting at level 30 after your bard quest. Every 5 levels you will get a new bard quest to do which teaches you a new bard skill as well.

WolvenOne

Yeah, that confused me when I finally got to "CT". Finished labyrinth, think that CT was coming up, and nope, that was it.

Kinda hopeful that they'll introduce multiple floors of CT next time around. Granted, if they do, they'll be shorter runs than Labyrinth was, but that suits me just fine. Labyrinth was, eh, just too long. It takes a half hour even when you're running with an excellent group of Alliances, and far longer if you're running with bads.

Breaking the next round into two smaller floors, would at least partially alleviate this problem.

Teknoman

Guess thats why the achievement is "You call that a labyrinth?"

Not really a good thing though lol but at least they are aware.

Still chance for a balcony area!

Kinda hopeful that they'll introduce multiple floors of CT next time around. Granted, if they do, they'll be shorter runs than Labyrinth was, but that suits me just fine. Labyrinth was, eh, just too long. It takes a half hour even when you're running with an excellent group of Alliances, and far longer if you're running with bads.

Breaking the next round into two smaller floors, would at least partially alleviate this problem.
CT could benefit from Coil's turn system. Spread out the raid over multiple instances so people can just do them instead of having to do the whole thing every single time.

WolvenOne

CT could benefit from Coil's turn system. Spread out the raid over multiple instances so people can just do them instead of having to do the whole thing every single time.

Yeah, plus if people only need specific drops they can pick the floor they need, instead of going through the whole thing again.

Lots of reasons to do it like this. I mean, in addition to making the tower seem larger. One floor every six months? Not much of a tower, unless they plan on stretching the raid out over several years.

Ken

Kinda weird how now fireballs and conflags seem to go up right at the same time in T5 now.

that really shouldn't be an issue. i mean, it's okay if it's your first time seeing it but at the same time indecisiveness leads to you sitting around and getting the group hit with the fireball and jump into conflag with 200 HP. either action was an acceptable choice but not both together. @_@

you guys need to be better at not getting cemented in the scripted fight mindset.

Will be picking this up next week after I finish 100% Metal Gear Solid...

I like to play as a nimble warrior with some decent protective spells, any class recomendations for a newbie? RPG is my favorite genres, but have never played an MMO before, unless Phantasy Star Online is counted lol...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Will be picking this up next week after I finish 100% Metal Gear Solid...

I like to play as a nimble warrior with some decent protective spells, any class recomendations for a newbie? RPG is my favorite genres, but have never played an MMO before, unless Phantasy Star Online is counted lol...

Would you rather play as DPS or a tank?

In case these terms are new to you, the question is basically "Would you rather play as a damage-dealing melee class, or a defensive melee class?"

In the case of playing as a tank, the entire team relies upon you staying alive and keeping the enemy focused on you. In the case of DPS, your job is to do as much damage as possible without stealing enemy focus away from the tank.

Since you've never played an MMO before, I thought I'd just offer some background on how party roles tend to work.

If any DPS players want to add me to your buddy list for this game, please do (ID: Grinchy). I'm a tank and my brother is a healer so we would always have instant dungeons together. He and I just go into party chat and use our mics but once I buy some batteries for my wireless keyboard I can chat that way too.

Cool - which world? I'm a lvl 15 archer in Lamia

Jayhawk

Just server-transferred to Ultros and submitted an application on the GAF FC website using my character (still on my old server on Lodestone/Guildwork) and submitted an application to the FC in-game. My application has yet to be approved, but I have company actions active... must be a bug.

that really shouldn't be an issue. i mean, it's okay if it's your first time seeing it but at the same time indecisiveness leads to you sitting around and getting the group hit with the fireball and jump into conflag with 200 HP. either action was an acceptable choice but not both together. @_@

you guys need to be better at not getting cemented in the scripted fight mindset.

Muscle memory is a pain. I imagine it will take more than one or two instances of that happening to me personally before I get used to it.

Aeana

We started on turn 8 last night, and continued this evening. Since neither of our tanks really have any geared DPS jobs, we're doing it with the two tank setup. So far we've been able to get it to about 42%. Sadly, we can't get together again until next Tuesday, but I'm feeling pretty good about the fight and our general pace. I'm a big fan of the completely reliable nature of the mechanics, it fills me with feelings of Titan.

Ken

We started on turn 8 last night, and continued this evening. Since neither of our tanks really have any geared DPS jobs, we're doing it with the two tank setup. So far we've been able to get it to about 42%. Sadly, we can't get together again until next Tuesday, but I'm feeling pretty good about the fight and our general pace. I'm a big fan of the completely reliable nature of the mechanics, it fills me with feelings of Titan.

the race is oooon

the what now?

ablahabaooey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom