• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalasta

You can get a grade higher than what you turn in. In fact, there's an achievement for doing so.

But what if I turn in a mix of II and III and get a III back, does that count towards the achievement? Because technically it is higher than some (but not all) of the ones I turned in.

They nerfed that a bit though. Like mine brought back the Turn 9 Purification Module but I don't think that can happen any more.
Yeah, they removed Turn 9 stuff from what you can get. But I believe you can still get stuff like Unidentified Tomestones and Levi stuff.

Kenai

Is it worth me sending my retainer out on ventures as I level, or will I get crap that will ultimately be useless as I level? I have a few tokens from leves, but I'll save them if there's no benefit as I level.

EDIT: "As I level", three times. Nice.

The stuff retainers bring back can vary wildly, but since there's nothing else to use those ventures on, and since leveling them up can lead to a wider variety of item options as their level increases. there's no reason not to. Just keep in mind that whatever job they are is capped based on how high you have that job leveled yourself, so to get those most out of any job you need it at max level already.

orion434

Is it worth me sending my retainer out on ventures as I level, or will I get crap that will ultimately be useless as I level? I have a few tokens from leves, but I'll save them if there's no benefit as I level.

EDIT: "As I level", three times. Nice.

Depends on what classes you've made them? I have mine as lv 50 Botanist & Miner and I can get 60 Crystals every 40 minutes.

I do the daily Provision missions to get Seals turn them in for Ventures in the GC store then into Gil with Crystals. 2500 Seals could get you 1 Potash or 10 Ventures... 300 Crystals. That can net you 30K Gil... or 4K for a Potash.

WolvenOne

Been reading up on the Materia Transmution threads on other sites.

Okay, so, it looks like aside from the off chance of getting a higher grade materia in return, the only real use for Materia transmution is, if you have a whole bunch of high grade undesirable materia laying around, and want to try your luck at converting them into some other more useful type of the same tier.

There is an chance that you can put in a bunch of tier 3's and get a tier 4 back instead, but, it's a fairly small chance.

That, isn't useless, but it's a fairly round-about way of tackling the fact that only a few materia types are actually desirable, and not an ideal way, seeing as it sounds entirely RNG based.

Best thing you can say about this is, at least it indicates that they're thinking about these sorts of issues.

Has anyone ever got those though? Seems odd they'd still allow a Turn 7 item through...

Levi mirror "may" still be obtainable through ventures although it will depend on Square's definition of "certain high level items", people were actually getting them beforehand. The tomestone however no one ever got one or said anything about it.

dubq

Randomness: one thing I hope they add in a patch is the ability to queue for duties even if your Chocobo companion is currently summoned. It's kind of dumb that I can't just quest around waiting for my duty to start, with my Chocobo, and just have him auto-dismiss when I confirm my entry into said duty.

Wilsongt

Randomness: one thing I hope they add in a patch is the ability to queue for duties even if your Chocobo companion is currently summoned. It's kind of dumb that I can't just quest around waiting for my duty to start, with my Chocobo, and just have him auto-dismiss when I confirm my entry into said duty.

One thing I would like is that it would be nice if they turn off the ability for you to be accepted into a DF partying while you are in a fieldcraft leve/fate. So many times I've been in the middle of a fieldcraft leve only to have it interrupted by DF popping on. The same with FATES, which is only a problem now with the atma grind.

Or at least give us a system side option to turn it off and on ourselves.

They promised Chocobo while queued awhile ago, but it will probably be delayed to 2.3 at this point.

Gaz_RB

One thing I would like is that it would be nice if they turn off the ability for you to be accepted into a DF partying while you are in a fieldcraft leve/fate. So many times I've been in the middle of a fieldcraft leve only to have it interrupted by DF popping on. The same with FATES, which is only a problem now with the atma grind.

Or at least give us a system side option to turn it off and on ourselves.

What's the point of even Duty Finding then if you don't want to go when it's ready for you because you plan to do leves?

Has anyone ever got those though? Seems odd they'd still allow a Turn 7 item through...
Yep
YUGUe7z.png
I can't find the screen from reddit that showed the retainer getting an Unidentified Tomestone. They can also get PVP stuff

I'm telling ya, the real Warriors of Light are the retainers.

Wilsongt

What's the point of even Duty Finding then if you don't want to go when it's ready for you because you plan to do leves?

I'm a DPS and I am leveling DPS jobs. My average wait time is 4x as long as advertised. I am not gonna sit and twiddle my thumbs upwards of 30 mins waiting to get into a dungeon to level up.

Gaz_RB

Kill time.

I'm a DPS and I am leveling DPS jobs. My average wait time is 4x as long as advertised. I am not gonna sit and twiddle my thumbs upwards of 30 mins waiting to get into a dungeon to level up.

I guess i just don't understand. Do you want it to put you back at the back of the DF queue if you're levequesting? If you're duty finding and it finds you a party and you're not ready, your time to get into a dungeon is going to be even longer.

I understand wanting to quest with your chocobo, but not getting mad when they find you a party while you're levequesting.

Why not do fates instead?

EDIT - Okay, so you don't want to do nothing while you wait for the queue time, I get that, but it's just an allowance, what's the problem of just letting the leve fail?

Wilsongt

Why not do fates instead?

EDIT - Okay, so you don't want to do nothing while you wait for the queue time, I get that, but it's just an allowance, what's the problem of just letting the leve fail?

;.; I don't like failing things.

Right now, it's more of an issue with fates, I suppose. Because, you never know if that fate you left in the middle of will be the one that drops that damn atma.

Dat daddy complex heheheee... Nice. Mine is typical pretty boy.

Yeeeeeeeep. He looks silly during certain cutscenes, though.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yep

I can't find the screen from reddit that showed the retainer getting an Unidentified Tomestone. They can also get PVP stuff

I'm telling ya, the real Warriors of Light are the retainers.

Hmm, well I was pretty surprised when my level 14 retainer brought back the Turn 9 rug lol.

Dunan

yeah... I never realize how tall I made my character until I am in dungeons with folks and the only things taller than me are Roes...

At least I don't have a long neck and I'm not a pretty boy Elezan either.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2751243/

Same thing happened to me with my male main character in the beta. The first beta didn't give you your height, and, thinking that Elezen were elf-like and thus short, I made my guy the maximum height. Turns out that that's something like 207 centimeters, or nearly seven feet!

The default seems to be "really tall" for every non-Lalafell. Highlander human women are, at minimum, 168 cm, which in Japanese society is already among the tallest 10-20% of all women.

Maybe they wanted human players to identify with Miqo'te or something. Those are the ones with realistic heights.

Dunan

They should allow you to instantly switch to whatever class and gear you were using when you signed up for the duty. It's pretty annoying as a DPS to be waiting 20 minutes for a duty, switch to a crafter or something to pass the time, and then to be frantically pressing buttons to get back to your old class before the DF denies you because your class has changed.

So, I'm facing a dilemma... I really loved the time I spent as a lancer, but I switched to MRD after waiting an hour in queue for early dungeons. I'm not enjoying MRD as much, but the queue times are so much better.
Is it abysmally slow for dps to join raids even late game?

I'm also considering a healer/summoner class. Is a summoner viable late game?

WolvenOne

Maybe they wanted human players to identify with Miqo'te or something. Those are the ones with realistic heights.

Hey man, male miqote max at five foot eight inches. I'm six foot two, it drives me a little batty that my character is so much shorter than I am.

if I could use Fantasia to make my character taller, I would in an instant. Though I really should hold onto it till the expansion, I suppose.

WolvenOne

So, I'm facing a dilemma... I really loved the time I spent as a lancer, but I switched to MRD after waiting an hour in queue for early dungeons. I'm not enjoying MRD as much, but the queue times are so much better.
Is it abysmally slow for dps to join raids even late game?

I'm also considering a healer/summoner class. Is a summoner viable late game?

Yes, summoner is a very viable class, but, it's a bit on the difficult side to play Pet Classes with a controller.

Also, DPS are always going to have longer wait times than Tanks and Healers. You can bypass this to an extent if you're forming parties up manually with a routine group of friends, but of course that isn't always viable.

Dunan

Hey man, male miqote max at five foot eight inches.

Short answer: As do male Japanese.

...OK, not really, but the vast majority are that height or smaller. The Miqo'te heights are the Japanese heights, basically, minus an inch or two. I had no idea that non-Lalafell Eorzeans basically ranged from average height to monstrously huge, with almost no room to be small..

Yes, summoner is a very viable class, but, it's a bit on the difficult side to play Pet Classes with a controller.

Also, DPS are always going to have longer wait times than Tanks and Healers. You can bypass this to an extent if you're forming parties up manually with a routine group of friends, but of course that isn't always viable.
Thanks!
Once I get higher in level, should it be easier to find people in the GAF FC to play with? I don't mind long queue times ATM, I'm mainly worried about late game. Basically, it's a question of how easy it is to find parties in the FC. I wanna be a dragoon...

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

noticed this on my low-ish level ACN. It's not like extremely difficult.. but it requires some pretty major cross bar setup.

Hmm, well I was pretty surprised when my level 14 retainer brought back the Turn 9 rug lol.

Your retainer obviously soloed T9. Damn those retainers are OP.

Much like the town guards in Oblivion and Skyrim, the retainers should just go and save the world instead of making adventurers do it.

Aeana

noticed this on my low-ish level ACN. It's not like extremely difficult.. but it requires some pretty major cross bar setup.
It's not bad. If you don't like tapping R1 to switch to the pet bar, then map the pet actions to the crossbar directly. The extra palettes that you can access by holding R2 and pressing L2, or holding L2 and pressing R2 are a great place to put these actions. Make macros for pet summoning that remaps the bars (/chotbar copy) depending on your pet and you'll always have the right bars at your fingertips.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
It's not bad. If you don't like tapping R1 to switch to the pet bar, then map the pet actions to the crossbar directly. The extra palettes that you can access by holding R2 and pressing L2, or holding L2 and pressing R2 are a great place to put these actions. Make macros for pet summoning that remaps the bars (/chotbar copy) depending on your pet and you'll always have the right bars at your fingertips.

thank you based aeana

repping for controller scholars everywhere

WolvenOne

Thanks!
Once I get higher in level, should it be easier to find people in the GAF FC to play with? I don't mind long queue times ATM, I'm mainly worried about late game. Basically, it's a question of how easy it is to find parties in the FC. I wanna be a dragoon...

Pre-level 50 dungeons typically have longer queues in my experience. This is because, once players reach end-game there generally isn't much incentive to go back and regularly replay these dungeons, unless they're leveling another class, or, are being sent to a lowbie on the Duty Roulette.

DPS queues aren't exactly super speedy once you reach endgame, but they aren't as bad. Also, be prepared to use the Party Finder tool more often, once you reach endgame.

If I'm doing DRG, which are the best cross class actions that I should get ASAP? Or should I just level my lancer to 30 (MRD at 21 already)?

Sorry for all the questions, guys, and I really appreciate the help.

Alucrid

Banned
If I'm doing DRG, which are the best cross class actions that I should get ASAP? Or should I just level my lancer to 30 (MRD at 21 already)?

Internal Release from pug, mercy stroke from mrd, then whatever else you want

Just get to 30, but since MRD is already at 21, you should get to level 26 so you can have Mercy Stroke.

Basically the most important DRG cross class skills are Internal Release, Mercy Stroke and Fracture. The rest are extras.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Just get to 30, but since MRD is already at 21, you should get to level 26 so you can have Mercy Stroke.

Basically the most important DRG cross class skills are Internal Release, Mercy Stroke and Fracture. The rest are extras.

If a DRG is using fracture, they are probably bad. It is a net DPS loss and strains TP like no other.

WolvenOne

I don't think Fracture is part of the DRG rotation any more. Second wind is a nice skill too. Free 600-1000 heal.

Fracture can indeed be used by DRG's actually.

Anyhow, this discussion reminds me, that I still need to level a couple other classes a bit. My DRG cross class skills are far from ideal right now.

WolvenOne

If a DRG is using fracture, they are probably bad. It is a net DPS loss and strains TP like no other.

It's 80TP every 18 seconds, that's hardly a huge TP strain. Also if you're going to take the time to put up DOTS on an enemy, you might as well use every one you can. This is especially true if WAR and PLD are also using it. Three Fracture Dot's on a single enemy, actually adds up to quite a bit of damage.

Alucrid

Banned
It's 80TP every 18 seconds, that's hardly a huge TP strain. Also if you're going to take the time to put up DOTS on an enemy, you might as well use every one you can. This is especially true if WAR and PLD are also using it. Three Fracture Dot's on a single enemy, actually adds up to quite a bit of damage.
You should read up on rotations instead of stating things that are factually incorrect.

Aeana

The point is that the TP usage/damage isn't worth using in place of another ability, so it results in a DPS loss compared to using something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom