• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if this is common knowledge or not, but if you press 'Scroll Lock' on your keyboard, even on the PS4 version (and presumably PS3), the entire HUD disappears so you can take some sexy screenshots.

plake

I don't know if this is common knowledge or not, but if you press 'Scroll Lock' on your keyboard, even on the PS4 version (and presumably PS3), the entire HUD disappears so you can take some sexy screenshots.

L1+touch pad press works too if you're cool like me and have an apple keyboard :)

GlamFM

Banned
Something wrong, or just hooked already?

The only thing you could do wrong is become a lallafell
joke

It´s just....I.....I have no idea what I´m doing.

Took me about an hour to get the game running after all the updates, than another 30 minutes until I gained control over my character and another 15 minutes to be completely lost.

I have an active "quest", but I have no idea where I´m supposed to be going because there is no indicator on the map?

Tutorial screens pop up every 2 minutes with text so small I almost can´t read it.

I want to get in, but the game is really making it hard for me.

Youtube videos for starters?

Hasney

I need to level up just so I can use some better looking gear. The best gear I have at the moment is ridiculous.

dfxJLeW.png

I need to level up just so I can use some better looking gear. The best gear I have at the moment is ridiculous.
Don't be dissing the thongs of power.

You stop - for the most part, some high level equipment is redunkulous, looking at you DRG CT gear - getting ugly stuff once you hit 45.

Ken

I don't get why Bards get a recolored caster dress.

At least give them the same armor as the other physical DPS like in the first coil.

I actually think that the High Allagan Bard gear, despite being a palette swap, is far more fitting for them than the melee gear this time around.

Number45

I have an active "quest", but I have no idea where I´m supposed to be going because there is no indicator on the map?
If this is your first MMO, then yes it's a lot to take in.

If there's no indicator on your map it's likely because it's in a different zone. If you highlight the quest in the journal (start > duty > journal, or you can highlight it on the duty list on the main screen) there's a map button that will show you where it is. But yes, the mapping is not great in this game, and probably the hardest thing to grasp early on. :(
Tutorial screens pop up every 2 minutes with text so small I almost can´t read it.
Surprised about the text size. The default UI size on the PS4 now is 140% which has been more than fine for me (in fact I made it smaller). I play around 10ft away from a 50" screen.

You can increase the size in the system/character configuration menu (not sure which).

If the active help screens are annoying you, you can dismiss them completely (they're available from the start menu). That said, personally I'd try and read them. MMOs by design are huge and complex and you'll need some of the information contained therein.

I want to get in, but the game is really making it hard for me.
Hang in there!

Youtube videos for starters?
I can't help you here, as I'm fairly au fait with how MMOs work from other games. :(

dfxJLeW.png
Wow. As I level, I actually vendor the really shitty looking gear even if it's an upgrade.

Pankratous Question #495 (I'm really sorry)

In my armour pictures / icons / tiles some of them have a green aura or purple aura etc. What be this?

GlamFM

Banned
If this is your first MMO, then yes it's a lot to take in.

If there's no indicator on your map it's likely because it's in a different zone. If you highlight the quest in the journal (start > duty > journal, or you can highlight it on the duty list on the main screen) there's a map button that will show you where it is. But yes, the mapping is not great in this game, and probably the hardest thing to grasp early on. :(

Surprised about the text size. The default UI size on the PS4 now is 140% which has been more than fine for me (in fact I made it smaller). I play around 10ft away from a 50" screen.

You can increase the size in the system/character configuration menu (not sure which).

If the active help screens are annoying you, you can dismiss them completely (they're available from the start menu). That said, personally I'd try and read them. MMOs by design are huge and complex and you'll need some of the information contained therein.

Hang in there!

I can't help you here, as I'm fairly au fait with how MMOs work from other games. :(

Wow. As I level, I actually vendor the really shitty looking gear even if it's an upgrade.

Thanks so much!

Yes, my first MMO.

Will try everything you said later today.

Ken

Thanks again for the multiple responses guys. Think I'll favorite that page for reference.

To be honest it's not really something important that you need to know or anything lol. When it comes to gear you generally want the one that is for your class with the highest ilevel and highest number of your main stat.

So a few of us are looking to form a new static if there is enough interest. We currently have:

Ella Wolfhart (DRG)
Gizu Momozu (BRD)
Natasha Jayhawk (MNK)

Natasha also has PLD and SMN as backups. So we are looking for one more DPS (preferably a BLM), tanks, and healers. Times will probably be sometime around 9 EST, days to be determined.

If interested, feel free to send me (Ella) a message, either here or in-game.

finally got into a crystal tower group today
pretty cool raid pity it only gives out 100 myth and gear you can only roll on once a week? (not sure about this a black mage said during the run you can only win one item a week)
probably why it takes so long to get into a group

finally got into a crystal tower group today
pretty cool raid pity it only gives out 100 myth and gear you can only roll on once a week? (not sure about this a black mage said during the run you can only win one item a week)
probably why it takes so long to get into a group
You can roll as much as you can, there's no item lockout anymore.

Thanks so much!

Yes, my first MMO.

Don't worry bud, I was where you were till about level 5. Combat is also going to seem really unnatural as well until you develop some muscle memory for the controls. You're going to want to do a lot of the small fetch quests just to become more comfortable with the movement, mapping, and hud layout. After about level 10 things will feel much better. You'll start looking into streaming lining the controls and seeking for a good group to meet. Things start to open up and the environment is great. Press on!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
question for crafting. which is the most efficient?

solely levequests
grinding using quick synthesis
grinding using manual synthesis with increased quality

I was doing some grinding on CRP last night and realized that when I got the quality up into 100 or so it was more than doubling my experience per item. but then again that was also 4 extra steps. by my math

each item was giving me ~520xp

with quick and say 40 items I was failing 10%. so it was 40 steps to craft 18,720 or 468 exp per step.
with manual synthesis it was two steps. 80 steps at 20,800 is 260 exp per step.
high quality manual was usually around 1200exp. so 48,000 exp at 240 steps is 200 exp per step.

well I guess there's my answer for grinding. Even losing 25% of your items makes it like 390 exp per step in this case.

so levequests right now are around 3.5K per turn in.. plus you get all of the steps from the crafting. So basically as I see it..

levequests/turn ins if you have them
otherwise quick synthesis?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Finally hit 20 on ACN, CNJ & THM. That Scholar job is so close I can taste it...

Can't wait til I'm at a point where I can find a nice static to heal for.

Hasney

So I'm getting close to finishing up the story and hitting 50 on my Archer. Other than that excellent post on what to do earlier, is it worth going for the Bard or spending time with some crafting instead?

SRTtoZ

Thanks so much!

Yes, my first MMO.

Lol ok first MMO, hang in there! Ask tons of questions! As for tracking the quests, open your journal, highlight the quest, then click MAP and it will show you where it is and what zone. Alternatively you can just randomly open your map and you will see the quest marker highlighting the way you need to go, so keep following that until you get into the area where you need to quest.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I'm telling ya, the real Warriors of Light are the retainers.

My retainer just brought back the ilvl70 Wolfram Headpiece (PvP) for Tanks through Quick Exploration...

I think my retainer is trying to tell me something....

My other retainer is capped @ level 35 >_<, need to level up BRD to 50 ASAP, so I can get that retainer to 50 (@40.5 BRD)
Should've just made 1 WAR and 1 PLD, no clue why I chose ARC =/
(Don't even have an extra set for BRD gear to put on retainer)

At least my MRD Retainer will be full i90 (if allowed to slot in Coil Gear)

Hasney

Dumb question, but how do you mark monsters for party to focus on?

/mk attack

Someone posted a handy macro for a tank on Reddit:

/mk attack1 <t>
/ac "Target Forward"
/wait 0.5
/mk attack2 <t>
/ac "Target Forward"
/wait 0.5
/mk attack3 <t>
/target <attack1>

That would mark the first one he wanted, then the next couple within the mob automatically, then start attacking target 1.

solely levequests
Leves are by far the best. Ridiculous amounts of EXP (sometimes 3 synthesis per level) and good cash.

Dumb question, but how do you mark monsters for party to focus on?
You can drag the signs to your hotbar like any command.

So I'm getting close to finishing up the story and hitting 50 on my Archer. Other than that excellent post on what to do earlier, is it worth going for the Bard or spending time with some crafting instead?
Wait, you're almost lv50 ARC and didn't unlock Bard? You're supposed to do it at lv30.

My retainer just brought back the ilvl70 Wolfram Headpiece (PvP) for Tanks through Quick Exploration...

I think my retainer is trying to tell me something....

My other retainer is capped @ level 35 >_<, need to level up BRD to 50 ASAP, so I can get that retainer to 50 (@40.5 BRD)
Should've just made 1 WAR and 1 PLD, no clue why I chose ARC =/
(Don't even have an extra set for BRD gear to put on retainer)

At least my MRD Retainer will be full i90 (if allowed to slot in Coil Gear)
I have no idea how to raise the level cap on retainers. I filled their slots with level 8 shit but they're still stuck at level 10

Thankfully that doesn't hinder their abilities to steal furniture and clear HM dungeons for me.

I have no idea how to raise the level cap on retainers. I filled their slots with level 8 shit but they're still stuck at level 10

Thankfully that doesn't hinder their abilities to steal furniture and clear HM dungeons for me.
Regarding retainers: Is there any reason not to have your retainer be the same job your main is?
Your retainer's level is capped to your level, so you shouldn't choose a job you don't use.

I just set mine up to show the same crossbar regardless of which order I held down L and R.

I was a bit concerned about getting the order wrong during more intense moments.

Even if you get it wrong it's super fast to press in the other order. It's not like an R2 switch that takes a lot of time IMO. I get it wrong a lot too still, but it's very fast to correct.

This is some bullshit. They should add downtime back to you sub. They always do these at night on weekdays which is the only time people with jobs can play. Do them in the morning for god's sake!

Number45

/mk attack

Someone posted a handy macro for a tank on Reddit:

/mk attack1 <t>
/ac "Target Forward"
/wait 0.5
/mk attack2 <t>
/ac "Target Forward"
/wait 0.5
/mk attack3 <t>
/target <attack1>

That would mark the first one he wanted, then the next couple within the mob automatically, then start attacking target 1.
Ooh, this looks useful.

orion434

solely levequests

I was doing some grinding on CRP last night and realized that when I got the quality up into 100 or so it was more than doubling my experience per item. but then again that was also 4 extra steps. by my math

each item was giving me ~520xp

with quick and say 40 items I was failing 10%. so it was 40 steps to craft 18,720 or 468 exp per step.
with manual synthesis it was two steps. 80 steps at 20,800 is 260 exp per step.
high quality manual was usually around 1200exp. so 48,000 exp at 240 steps is 200 exp per step.

well I guess there's my answer for grinding. Even losing 25% of your items makes it like 390 exp per step in this case.

so levequests right now are around 3.5K per turn in.. plus you get all of the steps from the crafting. So basically as I see it..

levequests/turn ins if you have them
otherwise quick synthesis?

Make sure if you are doing Leves, it's the 3x turn-in and you get a massive bonus for HQ turn-ins. Carpenter is incredibly easy... if I remember correctly there is one for 5x Walnut Lumber, 5x Mahogany Lumber & 5x Rosewood Lumber ( 15 of each with the 3x turn-in )

The 3x turn-in Leve is represented by a Card with an Old Wonan with a girl in the background.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Make sure if you are doing Leves, it's the 3x turn-in and you get a massive bonus for HQ turn-ins. Carpenter is incredibly easy... if I remember correctly there is one for 5x Walnut Lumber, 5x Mahogany Lumber & 5x Rosewood Lumber ( 15 of each with the 3x turn-in )

The 3x turn-in Leve is represented by a Card with an Old Wonan with a girl in the background.

any idea around what level those are with BTN to easily log?

Don't do triple turn-ins unless you're out of leves.

Courier leves (the ones you get in the city and deliver in a camp) give more EXP per craft and are much faster.
Triple Turn-ins give more EXP per leve, but you need to craft 9 to 15 times (or more) instead of 1-3. This is only useful if you're out of leves.

Does it affect the loot it finds in anyway?

Also, why the need for multiple retainers?

Thanks for the help!
Higher level = better items and bigger quantities.
Multiple retainers = more
slaves to send to
ventures and bigger inventory space.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Higher level = better items and bigger quantities.
Multiple retainers = more
slaves to send to
ventures and bigger inventory space.

ah, word. guess i won't level up my retainer til i unlock scholar... seems like a waste of seals/ventures right now.

How do I get gathering and tradecraft leves for my level? I'm a lvl 38 WAR, but my main crafting classes are at about 26. I have CUL at 16 and the others much lower. My miner is around 23 as well. So I'm getting battlecraft leves even at the lvl 25 places, but no tradecraft or gathering leves at that level. So how do I unlock them? And do I have to go to each location to get the proper leves everytime? That last part is why I have 100 of those things to take them and waste a bunch each day.

orion434

Don't do triple turn-ins unless you're out of leves.

Courier leves (the ones you get in the city and deliver in a camp) give more EXP per craft and are much faster.
Triple Turn-ins give more EXP per leve, but you need to craft 9 to 15 times (or more) instead of 1-3. This is only useful if you're out of leves.

This is 3x the Teleporting and less efficient, usually the 3x Leves require minimal materials... in this case just logs. If you really want to power-level a Craft and quickly you do the 3x Turn-in Leves.

orion434

How do I get gathering and tradecraft leves for my level? I'm a lvl 38 WAR, but my main crafting classes are at about 26. I have CUL at 16 and the others much lower. My miner is around 23 as well. So I'm getting battlecraft leves even at the lvl 25 places, but no tradecraft or gathering leves at that level. So how do I unlock them? And do I have to go to each location to get the proper leves everytime? That last part is why I have 100 of those things to take them and waste a bunch each day.

TradeCrafts Leves will be at a comparable level to that Craft level. So with Culinarian at 16 you'll have access to the lv 15 Leves. Then at lv 20 you'll gain access to the lv 20 Leves.

TradeCrafts Leves will be at a comparable level to that Craft level. So with Culinarian at 16 you'll have access to the lv 15 Leves. Then at lv 20 you'll gain access to the lv 20 Leves.

Yes I got that, but do I have to actually show up at the location that gives lvl 15 leves to get them? That seems like a pain, since I'd have to go to other locations to get the leves for my more advanced classes.

Right now I'm doing the supply and provision quests for the grand company everyday. It's easy enough, you're already in town so you can buy everything you need to make it or downright buy the item (usually a win on food) and get the free exp. I've gotten most of my classes to lvl 10 just with that, without actually crafting much of anything. I'll keep going till I get them to 15.

dramatis

This is 3x the Teleporting and less efficient, usually the 3x Leves require minimal materials... in this case just logs. If you really want to power-level a Craft and quickly you do the 3x Turn-in Leves.
No, the amount of time you spend crafting 3x the stuff is more consuming than teleports. If you cheap out and set your free teleport and return to the leve pickup in the city and the delivery destination, leveling is much faster and less grueling. The return cooldown time can be spent crafting the next item assuming it hasn't been made already. HQ-ing a 40 durability is harder than an 80 durability, so overall the chances of getting more exp is higher from a courier leve than from triple turn in.

As someone who leveled all crafts to 50 at the end of 2.1 and beginning of 2.2, I'm quite certain courier leves are much more efficient. Of course, I was leveling horizontally, so I could be very self-sufficient with my materials, which helps for courier leves.

borghe, according to his levequest exp report is sub lvl 20 now. First triple for CRP starts at lvl 25, with turn in of 5x Walnut Lumber. The leve gives 11115 exp for 1 turn in, 33345 exp for 3 turn ins of normal quality. To get the 66690 exp total for high quality, he needs to have 45 logs and HQ all of them in 15 crafts.

In comparison the 25 courier leve requires 1x Silver Battle Fork and spits out 31420 exp at normal quality. At worst, he does 3 crafts (1 silver ingot, 1 walnut lumber, 1 crab oil) and the craft goes normal quality, it's still 3 crafts compared to grinding out 15 lumbers to get a bit more exp. At best, he gets high quality and 62840 exp which is about the same as 15 hq lumbers&#8212;for a lot less work.

The most efficient manner of crafting is to have multiple people doing different crafts at one time, so you guys can support each other by trading ingredients.

orion434

Yes I got that, but do I have to actually show up at the location that gives lvl 15 leves to get them? That seems like a pain, since I'd have to go to other locations to get the leves for my more advanced classes.

Right now I'm doing the supply and provision quests for the grand company everyday. It's easy enough, you're already in town so you can buy everything you need to make it or downright buy the item (usually a win on food) and get the free exp. I've gotten most of my classes to lvl 10 just with that, without actually crafting much of anything. I'll keep going till I get them to 15.

Unfortunately, you do have to go to the location to "accept" the Leve and each will have a location to "deliver" the items. When I leveled my Carpenter back in OCT, I used this as a Leve-guide:

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Carpenter

There is a page for each craft, pretty helpful when you want to cut down on time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom