• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

george_us

I don't know what it is but damn is this game charming. It lacks the bombast of previous FF games but the story is still keeping me hooked all the same.

Kssio_Aug

Any initial job that I choose I will be able to change anytime later with no regrets? I mean... do this gamne have some attributes distribution that will make me stronger to a certain class and make me not get it at best at the other classes?

Already had the game on PC, but bought the PS3 version for 20 bucks on Amazon and did the free upgrade. Really not sure why people are paying full price for it on PS3.
It somehow locks out the PS3 versions from being played right? How?

I don't know what it is but damn is this game charming. It lacks the bombast of previous FF games but the story is still keeping me hooked all the same.

Never played an MMO, or a Final Fantasy game (except Crystal Chronicles). I'm randomly feeling like checking this game out. Am unsure if I'll like it, but for some reason I am really intrigued. Halp.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Never played an MMO, or a Final Fantasy game (except Crystal Chronicles). I'm randomly feeling like checking this game out. Am unsure if I'll like it, but for some reason I am really intrigued. Halp.

I've played maybe 3/4ths of a Final Fantasy game before this. Previous experience isn't required to enjoy the game, but I'm sure it certainly helps.

Ken

Any initial job that I choose I will be able to change anytime later with no regrets? I mean... do this gamne have some attributes distribution that will make me stronger to a certain class and make me not get it at best at the other classes?

yeah you can change stuff around no regrets

basically, anything you do or progress on your character only helps and does not detract from anything else you do

I've played maybe 3/4ths of a Final Fantasy game before this. Previous experience isn't required to enjoy the game, but I'm sure it certainly helps.

My FF (lack of) experience is actually a positive here, I'm interested in what the fuss is all about. Just don't know about whether I can get into an MMO even though I've heard good things. I know it can mostly be played solo, but can it be conisdered a GREAT game purely from that perspective. Compare to Xenoblade for example, personally I don't praise it as much as some people, but it is very good and has a sort of MMO like combat system.

Kssio_Aug

yeah you can change stuff around no regrets

basically, anything you do or progress on your character only helps and does not detract from anything else you do

Tthanks! I chose Marauder then!
But NOOO... I cant join Ultros!! T-T
Wich NA server should I join then?

Damn! T-T and how much?

Anyway, do gaffers play in some of those?
Brynhildr
Lamia
Malboro
Famfrit

Because they are the ones avaiable now for me. =(

There are multiple data centers each with their own server set. The majority of gaf is on Ultros which is in the primal data center, make sure you select that before going into character creation(however even then Ultros may still be down atm).

Darte

Take note: Stat bonuses are tied to your class. So classes that only have 1 job available to them are easy to allocate points for, but when new jobs are introduced, you will have to pick what job you'd like to favor in terms of attributes.

Example: If your arcanist (class) has 20 points in int, you'll have 20 points in int when you become a Summoner, which is a good stat for casters in general. However, if you wanted to play the other job arcanist can play (Scholar, a healer), you'll still have 20 points in int on that job, effectively gimping that job slightly in terms of stats.

Hasney

Yeah, I've actually been recommending this to people who really have no interest in MMO but like Final Fantasy 12. I've told them they can get through the story during the free days and leave it at that and it's worth it, or they can dove back in once the expansions hit for more.

I thought I'd be there just for the story... But here I am plotting my post-game.

Yaoibot

So I'm a 1.0 player who came back for ARR (PC), got bored once no one was doing Coil and left after 2 months, and now I'm back again (PS4) and rather enjoying it. Can anyone be kind enough to give me a primer on wtf I'm supposed to do for progression? Past few days were spent setting up macros and running piddly dungeons to get a feel for things. Now what?

Coil 6-9, Extreme Levi? I have an i90 WHM/ PLD weapon (my two main classes) and I think the next stage in those is the Animus grind, right?

Any clarity or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Windtrick

So I'm a 1.0 player who came back for ARR (PC), got bored once no one was doing Coil and left after 2 months, and now I'm back again (PS4) and rather enjoying it. Can anyone be kind enough to give me a primer on wtf I'm supposed to do for progression? Past few days were spent setting up macros and running piddly dungeons to get a feel for things. Now what?

Coil 6-9, Extreme Levi? I have an i90 WHM/ PLD weapon (my two main classes) and I think the next stage in those is the Animus grind, right?

Any clarity or suggestions would be much appreciated!

I prefer to do the Animus weapons at your own pace. Just doing FATEs here and there while I wait for queues has netted me 6 total. As for progression, the main new content, is Coil 6-9, Leviathan Extreme, King Moogle Extreme, and the HM dungeons. There's a bunch of other content newly added for crafters such as new two star and three star things. Retainer ventures and gardening are there as well.

Wait, the limit break is for the party and not me personally? Surprised no-ones shouted at me yet then...

Yup, the limit break is for the party. I doubt anyone has said anything because...I doubt most people know how to use them. I find more tanks that know how to use them than the dps.

When I go to the Mog station to transfer my character, I can't even see the server I want to transfer too on that list of worlds you can transfer too.

But I see ultros though. But all my friends are on the Jenova server, that is the server I want to get to.

Zomba13

Wait, the limit break is for the party and not me personally? Surprised no-ones shouted at me yet then...

LB is party wide. If you are a DPS and you use the LB on a boss or something no one will likely ever get mad though in some cases it's best to save the LB for a certain phase or add.

If you are a tank or healer though there isn't much use in their LBs. I mean, they have their uses but usually you want to use the DPS LB. Healers can help out in the case of an almost wipe, mainly if they use the level 3 one and have a bunch of people down but the Tank one is next to useless except in Ultima Hard Mode during the last bubbles.

Dunan

To be brutally honest, previous experience hurts more than it helps. I've played most of the mainline FFs and other similar RPGs and this game deviates from them in totally unexpected ways. Going in totally blind helps you grasp things as they are without any preconceptions.

One such thing is magic. Just about every previous RPG that has the elemental classics Fire, Ice, and Lightning used them in the "classic" way: fire hurts ice monsters, and so forth. Not in this game: Lightning is what any other game would call Poison, and Blizzard serves more to replenish MP after expending it on Fire magic than anything else.

Had they simply named these three after Halone, Azeyma, and Byregot (or any of this game's deities), we could have taken them on their own terms. But as an RPG veteran, it took an embarrassingly long time for me to catch on.

Just take things as they're presented and try not to have any preconceptions interfering.

Zomba13

The only thing playing previous FF games helps with is all the little nods and references like the jobs, their AF armour, some NPCs, spells, primals etc.

Even if you played FFXI the only thing it'd help you with is understanding that you can do everything all on one character and that SE can be a little (very) slow adding in things that the community wants/needs.

I was going through quests with ease and all of a sudden the difficulty spiked... not cool man... not cool...

If it was a hard monster it's probably because you forgot to use a key item on it to weaken it. As a warrior I usually don't need to bother with that, but I'll realize the fight is taking longer than usual and I'm actually taking damage before it dies and I realize I forgot the key item again.

So I finally got to Titan tonight. First group has a couple or teeeerrible dps, kept getting it all the time. After 40 mins and a few substitutions we quit. Next group cleared it on the very first try.

The fight is super easy (and a little boring) for a tank, unless I was majorly screwing up somehow, but no one had anything to say to me, even after all those wipes, so I don't think so.

If it was a hard monster it's probably because you forgot to use a key item on it to weaken it. As a warrior I usually don't need to bother with that, but I'll realize the fight is taking longer than usual and I'm actually taking damage before it dies and I realize I forgot the key item again.

So I finally got to Titan tonight. First group has a couple or teeeerrible dps, kept getting it all the time. After 40 mins and a few substitutions we quit. Next group cleared it on the very first try.

The fight is super easy (and a little boring) for a tank, unless I was majorly screwing up somehow, but no one had anything to say to me, even after all those wipes, so I don't think so.

Story Titan? I done it the other day for the first time too (also tank) and found it really easy. But apparently the story one is easy, it's HM and Extreme that gets folk.

Finally turned my Pugilist into a monk after getting Lancer to 15...only to find out I will have to go back to Lancer at least to lvl to 22 for a "mandatory" endgame skill...argh.

Grinchy

Banned
Yup, the limit break is for the party. I doubt anyone has said anything because...I doubt most people know how to use them. I find more tanks that know how to use them than the dps.

I find myself always waiting to see if a DPS wants to use it and then no one ever does haha. I have it on my cross bar ready to go but I'm so used to never using it now.

Winter John

I don't like most MMO's, I don't like subscription models, and I couldn't stand any of the Final Fantasy games that I tried. I just bought a PS4 and this was part of the bundle. I honestly didn't expect much from it, but I put it in anyway just to have a look. I'm now hooked on the thing and will actually be subscribing when my free month runs out.

I waited 40 minutes without getting a single person in my queue so I may end up switching classes lol.

On FFXI you could spend days, yes DAYS trying to get a group for something. And the best part is, you pretty much had go be in whatever town was most popular to shout and get people because there was nothing like a duty finder, so you couldn't even entertain yourself by doing something else.

Then, you had to travel for ages to get to the quest area...

What I'm saying is, 40 minutes ain't so bad. Use the time to do some FATEs or something.

WolvenOne

Queues are indeed not the end of the world, especially as they ramp up stuff to do in the over world. Dailies, spirit binding, Atma Grind, etc.

Still not enough to do in the over world just yet, especially solo, but still.

bunbun777

40 mins ain't nothing, try 3 hours waiting for Ultima Ballad and then your group sucks and votes to quit after 3 horrible attempts... oh yea baby.

(Finally got a decent group tonight and beat it so nice to have it out of my journal and got a sweet ring too)

Yaoibot

On FFXI you could spend days, yes DAYS trying to get a group for something. And the best part is, you pretty much had go be in whatever town was most popular to shout and get people because there was nothing like a duty finder, so you couldn't even entertain yourself by doing something else.

Then, you had to travel for ages to get to the quest area...

What I'm saying is, 40 minutes ain't so bad. Use the time to do some FATEs or something.

Grouping in XI was the worst kind of chore. I don't miss much about that game, really. Although it was great for it's time.

Since I love playing games on my PS4, I finally got this when it came out for it. I havne't had much time to play it (or anything) just yet (soon!) but I have played a little. I made a catgirl and got her up to level 11 as a lancer then decided I wanted to be a healer and switched to Conjurer and played up to level 10.

I saw a Neogaf person running around central shroud and we emoted at eachother. Vic or something. :)

I look like Pikachu!

So far, I am impressed. I found the controls and navigating the map very confusing and strange at first, but after a while I mostly got used to it and find playing the game at my TV to be very fun. The game is more polished than is typical of MMORPGs (aside from the lack of voice, which I can strangely appreciate because it ostensibly means they're putting their resources into more important areas) and I look forward to playing more as soon as I can!

Ha was that me? I usually bust a manderville dance or a wave if I pass a gaf member? I was either a low level naked conjurer or a 50 black Mage

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Yay! Took me two weeks.
Now the real game begins.
93hF1P1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom