• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd actually be surprised the kinds of stats these games keep behind the scenes. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they didn't count past wins but I also wouldn't be quick to use the tank mount as precedent for it either because the thing about the tank mount is that it was an addition made to get people playing as tanks and it would be pointless to just hand them out to tanks who had done a bunch in the past because then they may not tank going forward. And yes, I know that the real logical conclusion is that if someone has tanked that much in the past with no reward then they must like tanking but SE gonna SE sometimes.

Wait. I'm a tank. What tank mount?

chrono01

Upcoming BLM buff(s)! \(^_^)/

Honestly, I'd be happy if they can either return the Umbral Ice "tick" to the way it used to be, so switching between Umbral Ice --> Astral Fire isn't as..."strict" [sometimes needing a Scathe in-between] or, even better, allowing more than one Firestarter/Thunderstruck proc to be "catalogued" for later use.

I can't tell you how many times I'll be casting a Fire I, see a Firestarter proc appear, letting the current Fire I spell finish, and then getting another Firestarter proc just as I finish my Fire I and use the current one [effectively wasting it]. Since cancelling our spells to use a proc isn't exactly recommended [unless you have to move for whatever reason], that would help us out a lot. Or maybe make our damage not so crit-reliant. I really enjoy BLM, and seeing those massive numbers, but even at just under 500 Critical Hit Rating [will get around 572 with 2.3 gear, which should help out a bit more], I can sometimes go minutes without seeing a single crit. I know, RNG and all that, but it's kind of unfortunate to see our DPS fall when something like that happens. :/

Either way, I'm excited to see whatever changes are coming. It sounds as though it can only get better from here, so I'm pleased to hear that!

Sorian

Banned
Wait. I'm a tank. What tank mount?

Do 200 8 man runs of difficult content (I believe Turns 1-9 discounting 3 and EX primals are the list) and you get a bear or lion depending on if you are WAR or PLD. I don't remember which animal goes to which tank but I will say that I saw that lion out in the wild the other day and it actually looked kind of crappy, it's face and body just looked like a cheap model as opposed to most of the other stuff in the game. I hope the bear looks like the ones from halatali because those are awesome.

Upcoming BLM buff(s)! \(^_^)/

Honestly, I'd be happy if they can either return the Umbral Ice "tick" to the way it used to be, so switching between Umbral Ice --> Astral Fire isn't as..."strict" [sometimes needing a Scathe in-between] or, even better, allowing more than one Firestarter/Thunderstruck proc to be "catalogued" for later use.

I can't tell you how many times I'll be casting a Fire I, see a Firestarter proc appear, letting the current Fire I spell finish, and then getting another Firestarter proc just as I finish my Fire I and use the current one [effectively wasting it]. Since cancelling our spells to use a proc isn't exactly recommended [unless you have to move for whatever reason], that would help us out a lot. Or maybe make our damage not so crit-reliant. I really enjoy BLM, and seeing those massive numbers, but even at just under 500 Critical Hit Rating [will get around 572 with 2.3 gear, which should help out a bit more], I can sometimes go minutes without seeing a single crit. I know, RNG and all that, but it's kind of unfortunate to see our DPS fall when something like that happens. :/

Either way, I'm excited to see whatever changes are coming. It sounds as though it can only get better from here, so I'm pleased to hear that!

Really? I'm at 502 without food and I can't go 10 seconds without a crit.

chrono01

Really? I'm at 502 without food and I can't go 10 seconds without a crit.
You're luckier than I am. :(

Don't get me wrong, I have my bouts of "crit-happy" moments, but I can go an abnormally long amount of time without one. It can really frustrate me, seeing those base numbers hit and nothing critical. Again, it's RNG, and that's pretty much the definition of BLM, so I can't really complain. I still love the class.

As for changes, I was also thinking maybe applying a secondary debuff to Thunder, where it increases magic damage dealt [by the one who cast it], by a certain amount. Whatever it is that the development team decides upon, I trust their instincts. They've done an amazing job so far, so they have earned my trust going forth.

Sorian

Banned
You're luckier than I am. :(

Don't get me wrong, I have my bouts of "crit-happy" moments, but I can go an abnormally long amount of time without one. It can really frustrate me, seeing those base numbers hit and nothing critical. Again, it's RNG, and that's pretty much the definition of BLM, so I can't really complain. I still love the class.

As for changes, I was also thinking maybe applying a secondary debuff to Thunder, where it increases magic damage dealt [by the one who cast it], by a certain amount. Whatever it is that the development team decides upon, I trust their instincts. They've done an amazing job so far, so they have earned my trust going forth.

I think the best thing they could do is remove that weird behind-the-scenes timer that is always going for BLMs because it is so hard to plan how long to stay in ice stance when I don't know if I'm going to get the MP replenish in 1 second or 5 seconds. Other than that, it should just be about removing the RNG from the class. Little things like 2 or 3 Fire I's in a row equal a firestarter proc, for example.

Mozendo

I will always recommend that GAF members come to ultros because we are awesome and have people online all the time but, out of curiousity, why didn't you just join them anyway? If you wanted to run FATEs, you don't have to be in the same group (yes there are some perks but nothing huge).
I didn't want to run fates, I just like helping out whenever I can.
Also I don't like showing up to things I'm not invited to.

I'll make a chaaracter and see if I can apply to the GAF guild next time I log on. Read the requirements but just to make sure I don't need my character to be a certain level?

Sorian

Banned
I didn't want to run fates, I just like helping out whenever I can.
Also I don't like showing up to things I'm not invited to.

I'll make a chaaracter and see if I can apply to the GAF guild next time I log on. Read the requirements but just to make sure I don't need my character to be a certain level?

Not at all and you'll find everyone in our guild from starry-eyed young players who haven't even run their first dungeon to bah-humbug old levels 50s like me who complain on the regular but still log in everyday because fun may or may not be had.

chrono01

I think the best thing they could do is remove that weird behind-the-scenes timer that is always going for BLMs because it is so hard to plan how long to stay in ice stance when I don't know if I'm going to get the MP replenish in 1 second or 5 seconds. Other than that, it should just be about removing the RNG from the class. Little things like 2 or 3 Fire I's in a row equal a firestarter proc, for example.
Indeed.

If they only revert back to the Umbral Ice used to work [where the "tick" was a lot more forgiving], I'd be fine with that alone. It feels a lot more rigid now, and not as smooth as it used to. Sometimes it feels like forever before we get that Umbral Ice tick, and it's not as though people didn't find a way to Double Flare again anyway [I believe that was their main reasoning for changing the way Umbral Ice worked in the first place].

SOLDIER

I saw it mentioned a bit back that in the PS4 version there's a way to instantly snap between two hotbars with a single button press. How is this accomplished? As it stands I have to hold R1 plus the corresponding button to swap between hotbars. I would much prefer making it one button press to instantly toggle between two of them.

Also, is there a way to make it so you can instantly cast an action on whatever you're cursor is highlighting? In the default controls, I have to move the cursor over to a target, then hit X, and THEN I can cast actions on that target. It makes targeting multiple enemies rather cumbersome, when I would rather just instantly use a skill on a target without having to X out of the one I'm currently fighting.

Noi

I saw it mentioned a bit back that in the PS4 version there's a way to instantly snap between two hotbars with a single button press. How is this accomplished? As it stands I have to hold R1 plus the corresponding button to swap between hotbars. I would much prefer making it one button press to instantly toggle between two of them.

You tap the R1 button instead of holding it to quickly swap between hotbars. You can set which hotbars it will cycle through when your weapon is sheated/drawn in the character config window.

Zomba13

Also, is there a way to make it so you can instantly cast an action on whatever you're cursor is highlighting? In the default controls, I have to move the cursor over to a target, then hit X, and THEN I can cast actions on that target. It makes targeting multiple enemies rather cumbersome, when I would rather just instantly use a skill on a target without having to X out of the one I'm currently fighting.

You can set it so R2+L2 and L2+R2 give you different access to another hotbar. It's in the meny under the crossbar setting I think.

SOLDIER

You tap the R1 button instead of holding it to quickly swap between hotbars. You can set which hotbars it will cycle through when your weapon is sheated/drawn in the character config window.

Thanks.

I've been struggling with coming up with a hotbar setup that I'm truly satisfied with, as many high-level jobs have abilities that exceed the 16 icon layout in a single hotbar.

That's why I've mainly been sticking to leveling Archer/Bard on PS4. I figure I can keep all the attack skills in hotbar 1 and all the support skills/songs in hotbar 2.

Kssio_Aug

Damn! I didnt expected this game to be THAT good! *-*
It may have a looong time that I am not able to stay in front of the TV playing the same game for so long like I did to FFXIV today! This game is great in every sense!

I bought the PS4 version and to play with the controller can take some time, but they did an really great job mapping the buttons and all... im getting used with it and things are getting much easier now. Its good to know that this version supports mouse and keyboard too, I used it earlier and it worked 100% (its even possible to change the layout for keyboard / controller). But I prefer to get used to play with the DS4 so I dont have the need to unplug my mouse and keyboard of my PC and plug them on PS4 everytime I'm gonna play it.

Also the graphics! I believe PS4 version may be the highest (or almost there) PC settings; because the game is BEAUTIFUL. And the game runs smoothly on PS4, thats awesome!

Thats it, I believe I enjoyed every single aspect of this game. The quests are nice to do, and those dynamica evens (similar to GW2) are really nice too. I just battled against a really giant crab, at level 10, and it was amazing!

I found a GAF player and submitted my request to enter the GAF Guild. Just waiting for some response now! I've already registered at the guild web page, just as required in the 1st page.

Aeana

While this does work, I recommend getting used to using R1+face button/dpad for quick, precise switching between hotbars, because R1 just switches you between two recent ones, and you can really get screwed up.

Damn! I didnt expected this game to be THAT good! *-*
It may have a looong time that I am not able to stay in front of the TV playing the same game for so long like I did to FFXIV today! This game is great in every sense!

I bought the PS4 version and to play with the controller can take some time, but they did an really great job mapping the buttons and all... im getting used with it and things are getting much easier now. Its good to know that this version supports mouse and keyboard too, I used it earlier and it worked 100% (its even possible to change the layout for keyboard / controller). But I prefer to get used to play with the DS4 so I dont have the need to unplug my mouse and keyboard of my PC and plug them on PS4 everytime I'm gonna play it.

Also the graphics! I believe PS4 version may be the highest (or almost there) PC settings; because the game is BEAUTIFUL. And the game runs smoothly on PS4, thats awesome!

Thats it, I believe I enjoyed every single aspect of this game. The quests are nice to do, and those dynamica evens (similar to GW2) are really nice too. I just battled against a really giant crab, at level 10, and it was amazing!

I found a GAF player and submitted my request to enter the GAF Guild. Just waiting for some response now! I've already registered at the guild web page, just as required in the 1st page.

Do you mind letting me know your experience with similar games? Like is it just a great game, or do you have experience with other MMOs and think that the quests are especcially good or something? Is it a game that is just hard to stop playing? Is the story good? How does it work while balancing how many players there are?

Taruranto

So, it looks like we won't get personal housing, only FC's room?

Meh, thought I'm not really surprised. Their are definitely backing down on it. First the prices, then the auto-log out feature if you are in the house, then the 35 days policy... most likely, they realized it takes too much on the crappy servers.

At least I hope we'll get some sort of personal garden.

Noi

While this does work, I recommend getting used to using R1+face button/dpad for quick, precise switching between hotbars, because R1 just switches you between two recent ones, and you can really get screwed up.

It doesn't bother me that much because I only use two hotbars in battle, with the extra buttons afforded to me with L2 + R2 presses. Though I'm also fine with R1 + Face buttons for swapping cause that's what I used to do before I found out you could limit the hotbars that R1 taps would cycle through.

Amir0x

Banned
What the hell!

"Hey guys man this zone is lagging like fuck, I wonder why that i--"

"DEAR GOD IN HEAVEN"

*FATE COMMENCED*

*Odin stares me in the face*
*instantly slaughters me, my soul and all my ancestors lines*
*eviscerates the rest of the billion people crowded there in mere seconds*
*time runs out from the entire server apparently sucking so bad*

Sorian

Banned
What the hell!

"DEAR GOD IN HEAVEN"

*FATE COMMENCED*

Heh, I've never actually been there when Odin spawns. Yeah if you start getting heavy rain fall and murky whether in the shroud, Odin is coming.

You should be playing on a real server where Odin is defeated on a consistent basis

Beginning to make meaningful progress. Level 41 now, getting more consistent equipment, etc. Having a lot of fun getting more and more powerful.

Teknoman

So whats the deal with materia transmutation?

EDIT:

Personal rooms for your FC housing mentioned again. He said it would be like a mog house from ff11 with decorating.
The new 2.3 Dungeon will be outside, and deal with water, supposedly in La noscea.

Awesome! Now they need to do something with the Sangoli Desert.

Kssio_Aug

Do you mind letting me know your experience with similar games? Like is it just a great game, or do you have experience with other MMOs and think that the quests are especcially good or something? Is it a game that is just hard to stop playing? Is the story good? How does it work while balancing how many players there are?

Nah, I'm really not an MMORPG player at all. I did played some over time, but never really enjoyed one enough to believe its worth the subscription fee. I do have however, and also enoy it, Guild Wars 2.

Aslo, I played the game for the 1st time today. That said, I dont have much idea about the history and balancing matters yet.

About the quests, I dont have much experience with other MMOs but in FFXIV they work kind like those adventures / rpgs sp console games (talk to the right guy, kill the enemies at an specif area, harvest some stuff, and so on). You do them, and collect the rewards (thats usually exop + a fix item + optional item - like a piece of gear or money). Its really simple quests actually, but they`re not so repettitive and have some nice dialogs.

The server Im playing (Ultros) have many players! Everywhere I go have other players doing stuff. At the city center is always full of players around. Also the game job system kind of encourage even high level players to come back to the early areas, and thats good to keep eveywhere alive.

And talking about the job system, that one seems to me the most interesting suff about this game. From what I saw, you can create one char, and this char can become pratically everything, you just need to change your weapon. IE.: If you chose to start with a Marauder (my case) you will start with an Axe, and thats a tanker class. However, if later I choose to play as an Archer, I just need to buy a bow and then allocatate the attributes again. However the level of the jobs are separeted. So if I have a level 10 marauder and get an bow, I can play as a archer but I will need to start from level 1 (thats why youre gonna see higher level chars in low level areas).

Also the game seems to have many things to do. I got myself doing many quests without feeling tired, then hunting some monsters to clear an Hunter Log (like a quest to hunt certain monsters) and getting exp, and while doing this, also killing some bigger and harder enemies with other random players in those dynamic events, and also killing some monsters just for the sake of grinding. So I was all the time doing different things, collecting rewards and leveling up without feeling that it was becoming massive or boring.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Question can weapons go missing from the inventory? I had bought one on the marketplace and havent used it in a long time since i have leveled up, but now looking back, its no longer in my inventory.

Question can weapons go missing from the inventory? I had bought one on the marketplace and havent used it in a long time since i have leveled up, but now looking back, its no longer in my inventory.

No but you might have accidentally sold it or turned it in for a quest or something.

Amir0x

Banned
Heh, I've never actually been there when Odin spawns. Yeah if you start getting heavy rain fall and murky whether in the shroud, Odin is coming.

You should be playing on a real server where Odin is defeated on a consistent basis

Is there any other cool FATEs like Odin?

Sounds really cool, definitely interested in the job system. So basically whenever you change a weapon type, the character's class will change, and each class that character has is separate from each other, sharing no exp? And whenever switching a weapon using like a hotkey, the skills that were set up at the bottom of the screen will switch to another set right? Interesting.

So far it sounds as though you haven't really experienced much of the story, but have you at least begun some quests that seem to hint at an overall narrative?

Also, it sounds as though this game will ultimately tempt you to engage in the subscription model right? Impressive.

I wonder if any high level players could tell us if the quests become more complicated and intricate with time. I've heard that the game becomes more open and varied with time so there's that? I wonder how big the game world is too?

What the hell!

"DEAR GOD IN HEAVEN"

*FATE COMMENCED*

I've never had Odin spawn on top of me before. I'm sure that was a hoot.

Ever since they fixed Odin so that he doesn't disappear and you can actually target him in a crowd, I don't think that Ultros has ever failed to kill him every time he pops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom