• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorian

Banned
Those versions exist, but are internal. Most likely they have planned their development in short sprints regardless of the releases, so when the time comes they have two or three patches done.

I'd be more apt to believe that if they weren't announcing these a month in advance. "Hey, version 2.28 is coming out sometime in May and we know that we will have an internal version 2.26 and 2.27 between now and then." Coding isn't planned out like that. It's non-sensical, its fine if they want to be non-sensical cause that's how they do things but it is what it is.

Alright I just bought the PC version, now to choose what the hell I'm going to be playing as while it downloads...

Do remember that you can choose to be whatever you want and switch whenever you'd like. The only real limitation is that whatever you choose, you have to be comfortable with until at least level 15 because that's when all of the other cities open up. As it is though, everything is boring until level 15 anyway :p

WolvenOne

They could still be sensical about it. Anytime I have to download something, we increase by one: 2.21, 2.22, 2.23, etc. etc. Anytime I have to download something that is a major contant patch, skip forward to the next big number: 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, etc.

Edit: I'm waiting for them to announce a big expansion with a level cap increase and then call it 2.6 or something.

SQUENIX likes to market thier patches ahead of time, thus deciding patch numbers ahead of time, and thus the occasional gaps in thier patch numbers.

BlackJace

I'd be more apt to believe that if they weren't announcing these a month in advance. "Hey, version 2.28 is coming out sometime in May and we know that we will have an internal version 2.26 and 2.27 between now and then." Coding isn't planned out like that. It's non-sensical, its fine if they want to be non-sensical cause that's how they do things but it is what it is.

Do remember that you can choose to be whatever you want and switch whenever you'd like. The only real limitation is that whatever you choose, you have to be comfortable with until at least level 15 because that's when all of the other cities open up. As it is though, everything is boring until level 15 anyway :p

I think I might go with an Arcanist. I played an Archer in the beta and thought it was okay.

SRTtoZ

I think I might go with an Arcanist. I played an Archer in the beta and thought it was okay.

Remember theres nothing wrong with changing your mind. I went Archer until 35 as my first class and then changed my mind to Thamaturge/Black Mage. All you gotta do is visit the guild of the new class you want to join and equip the weapon. Also, think of end game, an Arcanist is just a class that can end up being either a summoner (dps) or scholar (healer).

Aeana

Err, yes, it absolutely, absolutely is.

Sorian

Banned

Yeah, I understand this but, in an MMO setting, unless you are putting in content then patches are there for bug fixes. It's nice to put up a list of bug fixes to work on in order but that isn't the case because some are going to be easier to fix than others. I'd assume 2.26, for example, would be a fix like this. Internal testing is great and I'm all for it so 2.26 shouldn't go live right when they are through with it but odds are they are just going to sit on that fix until it gets rolled into 2.27 internal testing and then rolled into 2.28 internal testing and then finally going live for us, the client. Maybe I'm reading how they are doing this wrong. Like I know we had patches between 2.20 and 2.25 but we didn't have 5 of them, which means a bunch of it got rolled together anyway, so why make a bunch of mini builds for internal testing when you can lump some stuff together. And yes, in before, the more things you change the more bugs there will be. SE isn't the only company doing an MMO right now, other companies can lump a lot of fixes together and still figure out bugs that come up in the process, I'm sure SE has comparable talent working for them somewhere as well.

Let's say Yoshida comes to the office and says "guys, the next patch release will be on the 27th of May!", we're on 2.25 and we're working on a two-weeks sprint.

That means 2.26 would be done by the 9th, and the next version (2.27) would be done on the 23rd. We didn't skip 2.26, you just never saw it deployed on the live servers.

Of course, that's just my hypothesis, who knows why they do it like that, because they could simply hide the internal versions from the public and increment by one every time.
This explain a bit how they're doing it. Basically, your internal development always goes as scheduled and you tag your versions accordingly, wether they are released to the public or not.

BlackJace

Remember theres nothing wrong with changing your mind. I went Archer until 35 as my first class and then changed my mind to Thamaturge/Black Mage. All you gotta do is visit the guild of the new class you want to join and equip the weapon. Also, think of end game, an Arcanist is just a class that can end up being either a summoner (dps) or scholar (healer).

Yeah, it's nice that the class system is flexible. I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Sorian

Banned
Let's say Yoshida comes to the office and says "guys, the next patch release will be on the 27th of May!", we're on 2.25 and we're working on a two-weeks sprint.

That means 2.26 would be done by the 9th, and the next version (2.27) would be done on the 23rd. We didn't skip 2.26, you just never saw it deployed on the live servers.

Of course, that's just my hypothesis, who knows why they do it like that, because they could simply hide the internal versions from the public and increment by one every time.
This explain a bit how they're doing it. Basically, your internal development always goes as scheduled and you tag your versions accordingly, wether they are released to the public or not.

Right, I get that but like I said above. They sit on 2.26 for, I'd presume, internal bug testing and then get a new version ready (2.27) and send that one right down the chute after a much smaller internal bug test. I'm not saying it's so much wrong as it is different from what I'm seeing as the norm.

Edit: Though for all we know, in this example, 2.26 and 2.27 could both be the exact same build with just any 2.26 issues addressed in 2.27 but thats such a small thing that I would leave the number as a 2.26. I'm nit-picky, whatever.

Err, yes, it absolutely, absolutely is.

I'm saying it can't be as rigid as that. It almost sounded like a "this list of bugs will be fixed by this date" type of deal. Goals are good but certain amount of man hours in does not equal bug automatically fixed because, often enough, no one has a clue why this is an issue at the moment. It just seems odd to have so many incremental builds planned out in such a small time span. Hell, they went from 2.20 to 2.25 in a couple days over 30.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Endgame is overwhelming.
Struggling to find proper iLvl replacement for all of those rings I've been wearing for half a week and juggling a whole bunch of demanding quests at once oh and dailies are still a thing.

Yeesh! I don't know what I would have been doing without gaf FC!

I'm saying it can't be as rigid as that. It almost sounded like a "this list of bugs will be fixed by this date" type of deal. Goals are good but certain amount of man hours in does not equal bug automatically fixed because, often enough, no one has a clue why this is an issue at the moment. It just seems odd to have so many incremental builds planned out in such a small time span. Hell, they went from 2.20 to 2.25 in a couple days over 30.
Not at all. I've worked on teams that closed versions every other week, but released in two months. They are always working on stuff and preparing features, it's just that the release schedule is different from the development schedule. It happens all the time, it's just hidden or you simply don't notice.

Sorian

Banned
Endgame is overwhelming.
Struggling to find proper iLvl replacement for all of those rings I've been wearing for half a week and juggling a whole bunch of demanding quests at once oh and dailies are still a thing.

Yeesh! I don't know what I would have been doing without gaf FC!

Take it slow, use myth that you're getting from dungeons to replace your worst pieces of gear (even if its accessories) and start working on your relic quest. Dailies are fine and all but aren't a priority if you are feeling overwhelmed. Beastmen dailies just end up serving cosmetic purposes and duty roulette dailes are good for a surge of myth tomes but they are handed out like candy in the dungeons for your purposes so just run dungeons that are at your level for gear drops and myth tomes. I wouldn't even worry about soldier tomes at the moment but that's just my two cents.

Not at all. I've worked on teams that closed versions every other week, but released in two months. They are always working on stuff and preparing features, it's just that the release schedule is different from the development schedule. It happens all the time, it's just hidden or you simply don't notice.

Every other week is a great schedule, I agree. I'll repeat though 2.20 to 2.25 in a little over 30 days.

I become lvl 50, what do I now what should I work towards
Get your relic weapon
Keep clearing the story missions to unlock more endgame content like Primals, CT and Coil
Start saving up Myth and Soldiery tomes to upgrade your gear
Level up another class you like

Get a rare mount and sit AFK in Revenant's Toll to show it off

What's the benefit of joining GAF FC, besides having probably easier access to a willing group of party members to raid with? It's a clan right? Is it possible for quests to actually be assigned through this system, or is it really more a register of "friends of friends"?

Oh, and does the story have an satisfactory conclusion while leaving lots open for expansions? Sort of wondering how it pans out, without any real spoilers if possible.

Sorian

Banned
What's the benefit of joining GAF FC, besides having probably easier access to a willing group of party members to raid with? It's a clan right? Is it possible for quests to actually be assigned through this system, or is it really more a register of "friends of friends"?

Uh, I guess friends of friends? I mean if you want practical things, you constantly get cheaper teleport rates plus another perk that changes daily and we have one of the biggest houses on the server.

danthefan

Oh, and does the story have an satisfactory conclusion while leaving lots open for expansions? Sort of wondering how it pans out, without any real spoilers if possible.

The main benefit is having a community of immensely helpful and friendly people who will run a dungeon/do a quest/answer any question/craft an item you might need. Along with the FC chat to keep you occupied while playing. It's well worth it.

rrc1594

We have a lot lewd conversations

Uh, I guess friends of friends? I mean if you want practical things, you constantly get cheaper teleport rates plus another perk that changes daily and we have one of the biggest houses on the server.

The main benefit is having a community of immensely helpful and friendly people who will run a dungeon/do a quest/answer any question/craft an item you might need. Along with the FC chat to keep you occupied while playing. It's well worth it.

We have a lot lewd conversations

Sweet, sounds great. Looking forward to it. Another question, obviously for the chat, people can be across the map fom each other right? What about voice chat? Might finally use the cheap mic that came with my PS4. Is there any way of knowing who is using PC and who is using console? If so, what's the ratio, if you don't mind me asking?

Sorian

Banned
Sweet, sounds great. Looking forward to it. Another question, obviously for the chat, people can be across the map fom each other right? What about voice chat? Might finally use the cheap mic that came with my PS4. Is there any way of knowing who is using PC and who is using console? If so, what's the ratio, if you don't mind me asking?

Yes, /fc works anywhere in the world and across all instances. I don't know how voice chat works on a console, honestly. We have a mumble server and I'm on PC so I don't know past that. As far as ratio, idk 50/50 probably, there are also a bunch of people that play on both just depending on what they're feeling/where they are in their house at the time.

danthefan

The PS4 can do voice chat but I don't know how/haven't used it, so not really sure. Free Company chat is accessible no matter where you are or what you're doing. I don't think you can tell what platform anyone else is on, without asking.

"Mumble server"? Does that mean it's sort of unheard of (heh) for people to be using mics, or does it actually mean there is an unspoken (seriously I didn't mean to come up wi these) rule not to use microphones, so as not to audio spam? In that case I should probably see if my wireless keyboard works with my PS4. My wireless mouse is Microsoft, so, maybe the driver will work?

Sorian

Banned
"Mumble server"? Does that mean it's sort of unheard of (heh) for people to be using mics, or does it actually mean there is an unspoken (seriously I didn't mean to come up wi these) rule not to use microphones, so as not to audio spam? In that case I should probably see if my wireless keyboard works with my PS4. My wireless mouse is Microsoft, so, maybe the driver will work?

Mumble is a voice chat program typically used for MMO play.

http://mumble.sourceforge.net

I have no idea if it is usable on consoles.

Edit: Also, if you have a smartphone or tablet, you can use that PS4 app thing as your keyboard if you don't have one.

Sorian

Banned
Is the any way to get tomestones other then duty roulette

Myth tomes drop from all level 50 content regardless of whether it is a duty roulette or not.

Soldier tomes drop from all level 50 content as well (I believe) but substantial amounts only come from the 3 new dungeons in 2.2 and the harder 8 man duties (extreme primals, coil 2)

rrc1594

Myth tomes drop from all level 50 content regardless of whether it is a duty roulette or not.

Soldier tomes drop from all level 50 content as well (I believe) but substantial amounts only come from the 3 new dungeons in 2.2 and the harder 8 man duties (extreme primals, coil 2)

Thx

Mumble is a voice chat program typically used for MMO play.

http://mumble.sourceforge.net

I have no idea if it is usable on consoles.

Edit: Also, if you have a smartphone or tablet, you can use that PS4 app thing as your keyboard if you don't have one.

Thanks. Seems like I should learn the rest by just jumping in. My copy should be here by Thursday, but it may take a while before I actually start. So many games.

Ken

I became a Paladin today, is it to grind as conjurer for more than lvl 15 to use other abilities as a Paladin?

The only worthwhile thing is Stoneskin at level whatevers; it's not a mandatory cross class for PLDs to have, just one of the more decent ones.

Sorian

Banned
I became a Paladin today, is it to grind as a conjurer to more than lvl 15 to use other abilities as a Paladin?

It's helpful if you have stoneskin but you may have that already. I don't know what levels conjurers learn things.

Edit: Damn you Ken >_>

Sorian

Banned
Thanks, it's at level 34, so forget it. >_>

Scrub tank confirmed

:p

Get your pally to 50, get some gear, then go back and care about conjurer.

I'm no pro, but at level 43PLD I've seen no reason to have stoneskin. The WHMs put it on me before bosses anyway.

Nothing really matters much pre-50 :p

It's useful at end game because once the fight really gets into it, the healer may not have time/resources to throw it on you every chance they get so you can do it yourself as a defensive manuever.

BlackJace

Whaaaat, I'm still getting hit with the "unable to update patch" error that I got in the beta...

EDIT: Seems to be going through now. Oh Square.

SRTtoZ

Hit ilvl 90 today, was about 50-60 a week ago. My final piece was the Zenith upgrade and now onto atma....

FML.

exfatal

Hey was contemplating getting this game, or Donkey Kong Country Return: Tropical Freeze. I like online games a lot and played Tera, Aion, Lineage 2. But been playing games by myself more often then before and was afraid I might get bored with FF14 before getting to max level. I don't mind partying with people just don't want to be forced to, just to level.

Soi-Fong

Mining takes forever to level up... Jesus... Currently at LV 27. Goldsmith is at 32 right now, but damn is it getting expensive. It's becoming a grind to get the mats I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom