• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
that sudden realization when you almost have as many achievements as graverobber

Come join the Dark Side, it's cooler here
Chase after Virtual Goods that steal a little essence of your Soul
I broke 3000+ score in the Achievements parts of the game, recently

That is good to know. This game offers so much choice, it is amazing!

I will one day go and help the Immortal flames, the GC of my homeland! I chose the Maelstrom because their speech spoke to me the most.

Yeah it's overwhelming at the start, but once you start finishing them off, game starts to get barren in that front, that is why switching GC's is almost a soft reset and you get to start anew

With the GC knowledge I have, within 3-5 days on joining Maelstrom I should be max rank and trying to accumulate 500,000 seals all over again + daily turn ins for their versions

Number45

I like when there are challenges and tasks to be finished, I like doing them, I may not be the norm
This is me as well. As long as I have a goal I can find fun in pretty much anything (and sometimes the option to zone out is nice) - it's when I stop and say "now what am I supposed to do?" that I'll probably lose interest.

I only started playing this on ps4 a day after it released - just finished my first multiplayer raid/duty and I was the tank

I had fun and the people were super helpful, I even got two commendations :)

Hasney

toythatkills just posted in Cheap Arse Gaffer that the PS3 version is £3 in their local Asda, so might be worth checking to grab a couple.

?

To you specifically?

Earlier in the week I was called a bitch for being one-shotted by the end boss, yesterday's Stone Vigil tank made "doge memes" about how bad I was, another party would get angry at me for using the limit break heal when my MP was running low and a Medica wouldn't suffice to prevent the party from wiping out, a few times there was an attempt at vote-kicking me from the party because I wasn't able to clean up the tank's attempt at a Leeroy Jenkins...

Without fail, whenever I run with a public light party in a dungeon, I'm expecting some sort of toxicity towards my direction.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Those commendations are addictive!

tell me about it... i want that gold magitek armor so bad

Earlier in the week I was called a bitch for being one-shotted by the end boss, yesterday's Stone Vigil tank made "doge memes" about how bad I was, another party would get angry at me for using the limit break heal when my MP was running low and a Medica wouldn't suffice to prevent the party from wiping out, a few times there was an attempt at vote-kicking me from the party because I wasn't able to clean up the tank's attempt at a Leeroy Jenkins...

Without fail, whenever I run with a public light party in a dungeon, I'm expecting some sort of toxicity towards my direction.

are you on ultros? i feel like my pugs are always so nice

Tabris

I'm finding I'm starting to become a decent player nowadays. It's amazing how much of a handicap PS3 was in terms of being able to react to moves on the screen. That in combination with some experience, and I don't feel like there's content I can't take on anymore.

orion434

I had a Healer in Brayflox HM giving me grief, when I do these runs I'm like 1/2 asleep... kinda in auto-pilot mode. I'm not interested in efficiency, especially since I'm capped and don't really need to do the Last boss. This healer kept crying for Mage's Ballad... even made a macro with the Tell-sound. So we wipe on the last boss... not even the massive bomb, just because the Healer bit too many small bombs. So I put up Mage's Ballad at the start so I wouldn't have to hear em' cry. Then I get... do you even know how to play a Bard... it was comical, didn't even reply. These Brayflox HM runs are jokes...

dramatis

You never use limit break heal unless the boss is literally down to 1 pixel of health and a few smacks can guarantee victory. The healer limit break is complete garbage, and it doesn't matter if your Medica cannot prevent the party from wiping out—either cast 2 Medica or just wipe.

When your MP is at 50-70%, use Shroud of Saints.

Perhaps it's because I haven't run many low-level dungeons after patch 2.2, but I don't remember that many bad parties. If you're having trouble in that regard, perhaps it's best to ask in FC (if you have one) for party members for specific dungeons.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
tell me about it... i want that gold magitek armor so bad

found out recently, that PUGs can be pulled from anyone else in the same Data Server (i.e. multiple worlds/servers). So it's not all Ultros people you're grouped with.

Zomba13

Perhaps it's because I haven't run many low-level dungeons after patch 2.2, but I don't remember that many bad parties. If you're having trouble in that regard, perhaps it's best to ask in FC (if you have one) for party members for specific dungeons.

When I run through the game during 2.0 and then 2.1 (I think it was 2.1 as PLD) I didn't really get bad parties. There were parties that had trouble with Garuda story but that was mainly it for 'bad' parties. Running though as DRG in 2.2 though I am noticing a lot more bad parties. Tanks that just run around the mob making it impossible to get rear and flank attacks off as a melee DPS, Healers and Tanks blowing LBs when they get them even when you tell them not to, Tanks not using flash at all even after telling them to and Tanks not stepping out of the big glowing AoE warning shapes.

Some tips for new players:
Don't use the Limit Break (LB, orange crossed swords Icon) unless you are a DPS (preferably melee if you have one in the party) on the last boss. Only time it's really ok to use the healer one is when everyone is like super wiped and you have lvl3 and a DPS lvl3 LB won't kill what's left of the boss (usually only applies in Primal fights).

Never use the Tank LB unless you are against Ultima Hard Mode and it's the last set of linked glowy balls. Any other time you as a tank feel you need to be invincible for a few seconds use Sacred Ground or Holmgang. If you don't have them yet then just power through using defensive cool downs and heals from the healer.

Tanks should use Flash as part of their rotation. Shield Toss to get the groups attention, open with a flash or two then Halone combo then throw in a flash every so often.

Don't stand in the orange AoE markers

As a tank don't run around the mob. Running around doesn't give you +50 to badass or +100% dodge rating. It just makes you a dick.

When you get Shield Oath as a PLD always have it on when in a group (unless you are the OT then It's ok to go to Sword Oath when you are just dealing damage)

On Ifrit HM let the BLM or SMN use the LB on all 4 of the nails. Don't use the MNK LB on one nail that is almost dead and cause the group to wipe. Also, it helps if the OT stuns eruptions. Makes it easier for casters as they don't have to run and gives a big boost in LB.

I'm surprised at how little people take advantage of the Market Board to make some extra money, especially when they're leveling their crafting classes.

So I'm doing the daily GC supply missions and there's a food I don't have for my Culinarian. So I go to the market board and no one is selling it of course. I look it up online and it's sold in one of the desert towns so I go there and it costs 23 gil. They also sell the ingredients to make it. I make a HQ version and make another 4 since I was already there. I sell the spares on the market for 2000 gil each. 2000 for less than 20 gil in materials and literally 5 seconds of extra work. I've done the same with all my crafting classes, I really don't see how people find leveling up the crafting classes expensive. Sell the shit you make (and make shit people want!).

Edit: I easily would have paid 2000 gil myself for about half a level worth of experience and a few seals by the way.

In other news I have a question about my rotation as a Warrior.

I know I should start Tomahawk, Overdrive, Overdrive. The question is what comes next.

Do I start with Fracture right away? I've usually been doing my enmity generating combo, Heavy Swing, Skull Sunder and Butcher's Block. I could also do the maim combo that increases attack power and reduces damage, but seems a little dangerous since I could lose aggro easily. What do you guys think?

Number45

Yeah, I've spent time on both Ultros and Sargatanas and I've been amazed with how friendly everyone has been. Worst I've had to deal with has been a SMN who tried to tank Ifrit with his pet (and we struggled to DPS the nail down) and DRG constantly knocking stuff back.

But everyone has been polite. :/

I've been tank though, and I'm pretty thorough which probably helps.

So I'm at the point in the game where it is asking me to choose a Grand Company, does this choice matter for a conj?
If memory serves Twin Adder is marginally better, but it's so marginal it really doesn't matter. Go with the company that has the best leader. :)

Cetra

I feel your pain. Queued up for Brayflox HM 3 times this weekend, the first two went great. Third one was a healer and two DPS from the same FC. They wanted a speed run and my gear couldn't handled it at i65. They refused to stop pulling and going full bore. Yet I'm a scrub because I'm not in full Allagan or whatever.

After a few more runs I got lucky on some drops and hit i70, so I thought I'd try Titan. I got the OT role. Told everyone I'd never done this before. No one bothered explaining anything. The Tank ate one too many Mountain Busters and died, so I Provoked, Shield Lobbed, and Flashed the mob off of the DPS Titan ran after. I had him back on the side but by then it was too late. Half the raid was dead when the MT went down anyway. So then I get "Cetra, why didn't you use Provoke?" I explained what I did. They go "You're a liar and a scrub, GTFO out of Titan until you have decent gear and you learn to play." The he initiated a Vote Abandon and everyone left the instance. So here I sit still needing Titan HM for my Relic, and people are in too big a hurry to call people idiots rather than help them learn a fight. I've watched videos, I've read up, I have a Titan Rotation Chart stuck to the side of my PC. But a huge chuck of learning is doing, no one wants to put up with that though it seems. At least, not anymore.

WolvenOne

I feel your pain. Queued up for Brayflox HM 3 times this weekend, the first two went great. Third one was a healer and two DPS from the same FC. They wanted a speed run and my gear couldn't handled it at i65. They refused to stop pulling and going full bore. Yet I'm a scrub because I'm not in full Allagan or whatever.

After a few more runs I got lucky on some drops and hit i70, so I thought I'd try Titan. I got the OT role. Told everyone I'd never done this before. No one bothered explaining anything. The Tank ate one too many Mountain Busters and died, so I Provoked, Shield Lobbed, and Flashed the mob off of the DPS Titan ran after. I had him back on the side but by then it was too late. Half the raid was dead when the MT went down anyway. So then I get "Cetra, why didn't you use Provoke?" I explained what I did. They go "You're a liar and a scrub, GTFO out of Titan until you have decent gear and you learn to play." The he initiated a Vote Abandon and everyone left the instance. So here I sit still needing Titan HM for my Relic, and people are in too big a hurry to call people idiots rather than help them learn a fight. I've watched videos, I've read up, I have a Titan Rotation Chart stuck to the side of my PC. But a huge chuck of learning is doing, no one wants to put up with that though it seems. At least, not anymore.

Oh I definitely feel your pain here. When I was learning Titan EM via pugging a ton of my runs felt like this.

I think the problem with pugs, is that the sociable players that work well in groups tend to gravitate towards Free Companies, at which point they'll form little enclosed groups. (Which I cannot blame them for.)

The players that aren't sociable, and don't run well in groups, tend to be the ones that either never join a free company, or don't form common teams within their free company.

I tend to be somewhere in the middle. For difficult content I prefer tapping players whom are, "a known quantity," especially if I like em. For easier content, especially if I'm pressed for time, I'll just pug it up and hope for the best.

Sometimes it works fantastically well. I got into a CT group yesterday that did extremely well. There was only one wipe during Behemoth after the primary Tank made a mistake. Nobody argued or grumbled and we got it easy peasy the next time. All the alliances even consented to letting that same tank go after Archeron later on, after giving him some good natured ribbing.

Conversely, even easy dungeons can be made miserable when you've got players that're doing things fundamentally wrong, and won't take friendly advice.

To which I'll say this, as a general rule. If anyone other then a Tank is doing the pulls for your party, they're doing it wrong! It's okay if somebody occasionally aggroes a mob by accident, but it drives me batty when I see lancers or WHM's dashing through dungeons and pulling everything in sight before the Tank is even within lob-distance.

Also, general PSA to a lot of GAFers. We've got a big influx of newer or less geared players in the game at the moment. There's no need to give them a hard time though. If you're patient you can even take a group of ilvl60 or less players through a dungeun like Halitali, so long as you keep the pulls small and they're otherwise good players who are eager to learn.

SkyOdin

So I'm at the point in the game where it is asking me to choose a Grand Company, does this choice matter for a conj?

The Grand Companies all give pretty much the same equipment. There are a few differences, but they are relatively minor. So it really comes down to lore or design preference. Probably the biggest impact of your GC choice is what you want your GC chocobo's barding to look like.

IMBored

So my trial is running out, and I'm trying to subscribe. As I can't find time cards, how do you subscribe for a month? All I see in mog station is an option to setup recurring subscription, which I don't want.

phierce

So my trial is running out, and I'm trying to subscribe. As I can't find time cards, how do you subscribe for a month? All I see in mog station is an option to setup recurring subscription, which I don't want.
So start it recurring and cancel immediately after. That's like paying by the month.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but here is a collection of new information from the Niconico event in Japan:

• Patch 2.28 to be released in May.
  • Additional housing areas to be added in 2.3.
  • There has been many requests for increasing the number of furniture that can be placed within housing. However, due to server stress, this will not be possible for now.
  • Personal rooms within FC housing will be slightly larger in size compared to the inn rooms found in the 3 cities. Other players may enter your room (permission may be turned on/off). Not yet determined whether to allow people to go straight to their room from outside (front door).
  • Personal housing will require a lv50 character and achieving a certain rank within a Grand Company. Will be implemented once personal rooms are ready or slightly after. May possibly be delayed until 2.35.
  • Other PvP related adjustments will also be made in 2.28 and 2.3. All PvP skills will be unlocked from the start and will become reset-able freely (to encourage more participation). No words yet as to what will happen to the existing skill reset items.
  • New PvP mode Frontlines will be implemented in 2.3. Will be more friendly to newcomers due to the larger participant count. Will not necessarily be 8vs8vs8 (but still 3 teams). Designed to be 24+ man content.
  • Limit Break appearance will be changed to match the user's job (effect will remain same?) (no words yet on when this will be. Assume still in planning stage)
  • Number of Allagan Tomestone of Mythology that can be obtained from contents will be increased in 2.28 and/or 2.3.
  • Next chapter of Crystal Tower coming with 2.3. Will have many contents that should make old school FF fans happy.
  • Chocobo related new contents coming in 2.3 or 2.35 (Ability to craft chocobo food that can be fed to your chocobo that will allow it to reach even higher buddy ranks(?). May also allow chocobo training at stables. Possibly allow dyeing your chocobo).
  • In the process of testing 2-person mounts.
  • New contents that can be done with less than 4 people will be introduced.
  • Finalizing designs on marriage system (not coming in 2.3) (get married at the big church in east shroud). Wedding dress for brides will have semi transparent parts and flowing movement. should look great.
  • Wedding rings will be created for married couples. Discarding the rings will "divorce" them (lol).
  • Work on Dx11 version to continue after the world media tour. Aim to release before year end.
  • Big plans for beast tribe contents related to Goblins. Still pretty far off for now.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/2466y3/niconico_event_day_2_summary_of_new_information

WolvenOne

The Grand Companies all give pretty much the same equipment. There are a few differences, but they are relatively minor. So it really comes down to lore or design preference. Probably the biggest impact of your GC choice is what you want your GC chocobo's barding to look like.

Grand companies don't matter much for the main scenario. It just means that you'll be coming back to one city a little more often, for access to the GC store.

It matters I little for PvP, I'm told. I'm not sure why, as I've only just poked at PvP.

Zephyl

Fantastic thank you so much, also what is the best way to earn seals? I'm only like 2000 seals away from my Chocobo.

Zomba13

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but here is a collection of new information from the Niconico event in Japan:

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/2466y3/niconico_event_day_2_summary_of_new_information

Cool. Expected them to either have chocobo dyes rather than chocobo breeding (a lot easier to have an item/service that changes the texture of a thing than an whole system designed to raise one). Hope the new chocobo food stuff includes a respec item and something that increases chocobo exp earned. they take too damn long to level.

I hope private rooms are free to have (log the mog rooms form FFXI). I'm dreading the prices on personal housing though. I want to be able to get my own house but I know I never will :(

Looking forward to Gobbie beast tribe stuff.

Hope the LB changes make it more unique to each class. Makes no sense for MNK or DRG to bring out a magical buster sword.

WolvenOne

Cool. Expected them to either have chocobo dyes rather than chocobo breeding (a lot easier to have an item/service that changes the texture of a thing than an whole system designed to raise one). Hope the new chocobo food stuff includes a respec item and something that increases chocobo exp earned. they take too damn long to level.

I hope private rooms are free to have (log the mog rooms form FFXI). I'm dreading the prices on personal housing though. I want to be able to get my own house but I know I never will :(

Looking forward to Gobbie beast tribe stuff.

Hope the LB changes make it more unique to each class. Makes no sense for MNK or DRG to bring out a magical buster sword.

Honestly torn whether I'll get my own house, or just a room. Being able to decorate a yard in addition to an interior would certainly be nice, but, I'd just assume keep my base of operations near GAF central, to facilitate GAF antics.

Guess I could just do both, and have multiple bases of operation. Not sure I could do both justice however.

I had a Healer in Brayflox HM giving me grief, when I do these runs I'm like 1/2 asleep... kinda in auto-pilot mode. I'm not interested in efficiency, especially since I'm capped and don't really need to do the Last boss. This healer kept crying for Mage's Ballad... even made a macro with the Tell-sound. So we wipe on the last boss... not even the massive bomb, just because the Healer bit too many small bombs. So I put up Mage's Ballad at the start so I wouldn't have to hear em' cry. Then I get... do you even know how to play a Bard... it was comical, didn't even reply. These Brayflox HM runs are jokes...

Isn't it sort of.... your fault? If you're capped, why don't you join myth farm groups from PF? I'm a bard and when I run with others, I always put 100% effort in it. I know BFHM is mindless after 100 runs but that doesn't make it OK for you to be slacking. On the other hand, I don't understand how WHM can run out on MP during the last boss. Did you help them push bombs?

I know I should start Tomahawk, Overdrive, Overdrive. The question is what comes next.

Do I start with Fracture right away? I've usually been doing my enmity generating combo, Heavy Swing, Skull Sunder and Butcher's Block. I could also do the maim combo that increases attack power and reduces damage, but seems a little dangerous since I could lose aggro easily. What do you guys think?

I stopped using Fracture a long time ago on WAR. It does almost no DPS, it generates virtually no aggro because it's single target unlike PLD's Circle of Scorn, it uses a lot of TP, and it wastes a GCD you could be using to Flash or Overpower.

If I'm just initiating a boss pull, I open with Berserk and Tomahawk and do two BB combos and then an IB to finish before I go into Pacification. There isn't any way a DPS will ever pull it off me after that.

If I'm pulling multiple mobs I just Overpower until I get bored or if it's a SR until I'm out of TP, then I Flash until I get some TP back, then I Overpower more. Yeah I'm lazy, deal with it. There aren't a lot of good reasons to do tab target between mobs and BB combo on pulls bigger than 3 because the AoE aggro generation on Overpower is so much more than splitting a BB combo. You should not ever have TP issues on trash pulls even with Overpower spam.

UrSuLeTzU

Just broke 2000 achievements, graverobber-dono would be proud. Guess the time has come to sacrifice an aldgoat to the rng gods and switch GC.

WolvenOne

Tomohawk, Overdrive overdrive (or flash if somebody is sleeping enemies,) then start on the basic enmity rotation for the mob you've scheduled to die first.

Throw fracture onto it after I've built a decent enmity lead, and want to switch to the next mob ahead of the DPS. If you're not jumping to the next enemy ahead of time, you might as well use that GCD for either another Overpower or Flash.

jorgeton

Excited for the new upgrades coming up. The marriage one will be very interesting. Hopefully they'll avoid any potential shitstorms and make same-sex marriage an option at launch.

Finally getting around to levelling up my MRD after exclusively DPS-ing. It's fun being a tank! Lots of pressure though. With a DPS I could keep a low profile and follow the group, but the Tank is def. the defacto leader of a small party. I've gotten a few commendations so I think I'm doing alright so far.

And I do love Fracture. It's really funny that it's come up on the board, I was just thinking how useful it is as a cross-class skill on my MNK and DRG.

Dunan

I So here I sit still needing Titan HM for my Relic, and people are in too big a hurry to call people idiots rather than help them learn a fight. I've watched videos, I've read up, I have a Titan Rotation Chart stuck to the side of my PC. But a huge chuck of learning is doing, no one wants to put up with that though it seems. At least, not anymore.

I know exactly how you feel. While I sympathize with the veterans who want to finish their repeat dungeons without any defeat or delay, everyone has to complete it for the first time at some point, and typically in RPGs (and in games in general) it's normal to come up against a tough boss, get stomped, figure out what you need to do, then have another go at it and win this time.

The difficulty of learning what to do is compounded by the fact that in an MMO you can't pause to take a breather and analyze what's going on.

I wonder if the game could have the bosses use weaker versions of their attacks when a first-timer is present in the party. Not totally nerfing things, but weak enough that the newbie can learn from it without losing the battle straightaway. Really the most fun boss fights are when you are able to figure out what to do, adjust to the boss's tactics on the fly, and still come out with the win. In a game as complex and fast-paced as this one, this isn't really possible, and the social aspects of the game make failure a lot less fun.

And I do love Fracture. It's really funny that it's come up on the board, I was just thinking how useful it is as a cross-class skill on my MNK and DRG.

The reason Fracture is generally disregarded is that it is a non-combo GCD single target low potency DoT. On MNK and DRG using it results a net DPS loss if you are properly following the optimal rotation on those jobs and it wastes TP. On WAR it is at best DPS neutral compared to just ignoring it and a net DPS loss if it makes you run out of TP on longer fights. Also if you look at the debuff timers on Storm's Path and Storm's Eye you will realize that using Fracture will make SP and SE drop off just to use it between BB combos. I'll take the 10% damage reduction and 20% damage increase any day over keeping Fracture up.

People have parsed this stuff extensively to reach their conclusions. No one is talking out of their ass when they say don't use Fracture. Whether you choose to believe in mathematics is up to you.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Grand companies don't matter much for the main scenario. It just means that you'll be coming back to one city a little more often, for access to the GC store.

It matters I little for PvP, I'm told. I'm not sure why, as I've only just poked at PvP.

PVP ranks are linked with your GC.
I am rank 16 in pvp with the twin adders.
If I switch to Malestrom, I have to start at rank 1 pvp again.

PVP takes so much damn time to grind out that I would never consider switching at this point.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Excited for the new upgrades coming up. The marriage one will be very interesting. Hopefully they'll avoid any potential shitstorms and make same-sex marriage an option at launch.

Finally getting around to levelling up my MRD after exclusively DPS-ing. It's fun being a tank! Lots of pressure though. With a DPS I could keep a low profile and follow the group, but the Tank is def. the defacto leader of a small party. I've gotten a few commendations so I think I'm doing alright so far.

lol, not this again.

Stop using that skill.

WolvenOne

I know exactly how you feel. While I sympathize with the veterans who want to finish their repeat dungeons without any defeat or delay, everyone has to complete it for the first time at some point, and typically in RPGs (and in games in general) it's normal to come up against a tough boss, get stomped, figure out what you need to do, then have another go at it and win this time.

The difficulty of learning what to do is compounded by the fact that in an MMO you can't pause to take a breather and analyze what's going on.

I wonder if the game could have the bosses use weaker versions of their attacks when a first-timer is present in the party. Not totally nerfing things, but weak enough that the newbie can learn from it without losing the battle straightaway. Really the most fun boss fights are when you are able to figure out what to do, adjust to the boss's tactics on the fly, and still come out with the win. In a game as complex and fast-paced as this one, this isn't really possible, and the social aspects of the game make failure a lot less fun.

Getting practice in on old fights can indeed be a bit tough, since the bulk of the community is usually past those fights already.

That said, if it's just one person that needs to learn it, and they're willing to actually buckle down and learn, I don't mind wiping a few times to help a first time player out. At least normally I don't, right now the Animus grind has be a bit, protective, of my in game productivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom